Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to host to Formula One event! - Next June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

is that the record for the most people in Ireland to watch a Brit? :)

This is my fave shot of the day.

205376_10150871449932705_582697704_9912149_517199249_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

is that the record for the most people in Ireland to watch a Brit? :)

This is my fave shot of the day.

205376_10150871449932705_582697704_9912149_517199249_n.jpg

Great shot of the new Toyota LandCruiser, seriously though F1 Teams should make this their new testing ground. The poor chassis!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Why oh Why that I not go down to the event and miss that F1 car? I would loved to have seen it. It would have been something very special. Those youtube videos in the earlier OP's are something to look to look back with great enthusiasm.:)

Also; I cannot believe that of the organisation of the event was so s**te, If was I well off, I would have been glad not to spend any of my money. It is IMO an absolute disgrace that the value for money did not come out of the tickets themselves to properly see the cars.

I thought that the blacked out fences caused too controversy in the free areas. If you travelling up to College Green either by walking or by bus; you wouldn't have known what the hell were the purpose of them in the first place. That really to an extent; pisses us off.

Do you think that if we had bright sunny weather instead may have got rid of those tents in the first instance?

It this event reviewed as much better organised in other cities around the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

From looking at the videos, how awesome is it to see a Formula 1 car flying through the streets of Dublin? Quality stuff.

Fair play to Button for finishing 7th in the Athy Triathalon on Saturday too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Any photos or details of what happened the 'GrpB' GT4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

All taken from O'Connell Bridge...

Jenson:

Jenson Part 2

Caterham F1

Caterham Part 2

Prodrift guys. My 5 yr old daughter loved them.. "Spin your car!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

After watching the video's I have to say I would have been going absolutely mental with some eejit saying "eh...here comes the car...round the bend...eh...jenson button..".

You want to hear an F1 car not some fella talking to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Some footage of Van Der Garde on his final run. Sorry about the noise from the wind and my camera mic not being able to handle an F1 engine at close proximity!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

As many others have said, organisation was a shambles, as anyone who has ever attended a large public event in Ireland would expect, really (hello MCD).

Only one of three track bridges was open, and it took them 2 hours to work out that they could have two lanes of traffic leading to a constant flow instead of using a stop go "one direction" system. Maybe the organisers used to run roadworks?

The fanzone was excellent, with augmented reality helmets, the simulator, a 2005 car to sit and be photographed in, a 2010 car on a plinth, and pitstop challenge with Lewis' 2008 Brazil car! Clearly, the setup was from McLaren, but unfortunately handed over to local staff to run. As a result, it took almost an hour to get a queue of 20 people photographed because the girls running the booth didn't seem to realise they had to tell the guy helping people in and out of the car when the photo had been taken, or get people to take off their shoes and jackets. At one point security came down and closed down the line just behind me, sent 5 people off, then wandered away, so that 5 different people could join the queue. In that time they managed 4 photographs. I would have loved to try more out, but I had to get going or we'd have missed Jenson. It reminded me of when Hugo boss brought the simulator to one of their stores, and told me on the phone my 7 and 8 year old kids could go in it, repeating the same thing to my face when I arrived. Needless to say, the guy from mclaren who ran the simulator had to tell me otherwise, asking "didn't the store manager tell you that?". I don't think he was happy, but the store manager was wandering around with a smug grin on his face, clearly not caring and relishing the queue in his store.

For some reason, all the screens were on the performance areas, meaning those who were sitting watching it could see, but people outside the zones couldn't. I'm sure it made the people who paid 80 euro a ticket feel better that nobody else could see the action on a screen for free, but it's not like they were going to sell tickets at that point, and the whole point was to see cars live instead if on a screen.

Anyway, the good point was that the track in free areas was narrow enough you could practically reach out and touch the cars. The sound and sight of Button in his car from Canada last year was stunning and worth the wait. He stopped the car a foot away from us and revved it up, but burnouts weren't possible in the wet at that point.

long story short: Bavaria racing's great but go and see it somewhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭magunkey

long story short: Bavaria racing's great but go and see it somewhere else.

Somewhere with better weather! Linky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

I didn't stay long (I was in Dublin on Saturday for another event and had to leave early on Sunday) but after looking at the schedule posted in this thread (plus getting drenched on Saturday night) I decided not to bother with hanging around the streets all day (besides, I'm going to Silverstone next month :D).

That being said I did wander down and spot the McLaren fanzone, which was pretty cool. It's odd how older cars are painted in the 2012 livery though (especially the 2005 car) but there was a lot to see and I was there for around an hour :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

magunkey wrote: »

You really need to tell the designer to fix the text on that site. I'm viewing it on my phone and most of the text is blurry. When I zoom in, it reloads the text but it's still a little blurry. Other parts of the page are as clear as day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭overshoot

magunkey wrote: »
    what then canopies covering the entire track? its a event that only lasts a few hours for god sake... and we are from Ireland, it was a few drops "heavy downpours" is sensationalist, would hate to see the author at a rally or well any motorsport event here... dont think there is a roof anywhere unless your hiding inside someones house. lets face it anyway this country has the greatest bunch of fairweather supporters
    By 2.00pm we were soaked and freezing. The day was a complete wash out. Not even the noise and smell of a MP4-26 could keep me out in that weather."
    brink a bloody coat! or there was plastic ones on sale, jesus it wasnt hard to look outside and realise it was a **** day, prepare yourself accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

This is an idea of what €166 got you ...

For the 2nd run Jenson drove much closer to the stand so unless you were in the 1st row you didn't see him at all !

I enjoyed it but what a rip off :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

a 2010 car on a plinth
    Correction, 2011 (painted in 2012 livery). Note the "U" shaped sidepods:

mp4_26_comp_front.jpg

The first thing I noticed was how orange the livery was in places. I know why it's like that (so that when you capture it with a digital device like a camera it'll appear "Rocket Red", Vodafone's trademark colour) but it's still odd to see in the flesh, where it's more flouescent orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Have to say i feel for the people who paid in yesterday.

With luck they will learn from their mistakes and next year will be better.

Did anyone else think the Catherham Sounded better then the Mclaren?

This was taken on College Green yesterday.

Will upload more later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I know its a free event but I thought it was quite poor. Why oh why did they put that black netting over everything? Motorsport is struggling in this country so why did they send out 2/3 cars at a time? The Formula Vee`s could have put out 20/30 guys no problem.

It was beyond retarded putting up those nets. Although that gave my brother enough of an excuse to stand on on the permanent railings and use the fences/netting as an armrest when watching Jenson do burnouts. Really good view from there. I made a montage of the whole day from the trackside and I'll post it when it uploaded.
    Sparks43 wrote: »
    Have to say i feel for the people who paid in yesterday.

With luck they will learn from their mistakes and next year will be better.

Did anyone else think the Catherham Sounded better then the Mclaren?
    Caterham sounded much better too me too. +1 on your other points.

I went into the paddock later on in the day and I'd be pissed if I paid anything at all for it. It was good going around the pits but if someone didn't have the pit pass, just the paddock pass, they were screwed out of a lot of money. I honestly think it was better if you didn't pay at all.

Overall, I paid €20 for a student ticket (return) up to Dublin on the train and so did my brother. We brought food and drink so it and the only thing we bought was a Luas ticket from the point to heuston station as we were wrecked at that stage after getting up at 06:30. We had a great day, but both of us felt there was a tense atmosphere because of the way security were handling things, people skipping queues/constantly checking wristbands and tickets/terrible crowd control at the bridges/massive queues at the vodafone fan area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What was even worse is that because of the black netting people were climbing on whatever they could find to view over it. I wouldn't be surprised if their were some injuries due to people falling off them.

The black netting was put up specifically at those points to prevent people stopping there to watch as they were pinch points for pedestrian access to the rest of the course. The organisation was a shambles to be fair, but if crowds had gathered at the points where they had the netting, no one would have seen anything, access to the rest of the course would have been very difficult, and it potentially could have gotten dangerous with people pushing.

The black netting was put up specifically at those points to prevent people stopping there to watch as they were pinch points for pedestrian access to the rest of the course. The organisation was a shambles to be fair, but if crowds had gathered at the points where they had the netting, no one would have seen anything, access to the rest of the course would have been very difficult, and it potentially could have gotten dangerous with people pushing.
    It didn't need to be over 5 foot high though, that would have allowed spectators and stop drivers having a peek.

EDIT: Reread your post, okay they were pinch points with pedestrian traffic, but they could have been brought back further from the trackside to allow more people into the viewing areas where they could see the doughnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Daniel S wrote: »
    It didn't need to be over 5 foot high though, that would have allowed spectators and stop drivers having a peek.

The whole point of it was to stop any sort of spectator gathering in those areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

PJTierney wrote: »
    a 2010 car on a plinth
    Correction, 2011 (painted in 2012 livery). Note the "U" shaped sidepods:

mp4_26_comp_front.jpg

The first thing I noticed was how orange the livery was in places. I know why it's like that (so that when you capture it with a digital device like a camera it'll appear "Rocket Red", Vodafone's trademark colour) but it's still odd to see in the flesh, where it's more flouescent orange.
    aaagh, typo. Sorry. Swype+ff beta = horrors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Heres what i saw.:D

And this was from my office.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Great shot from your office!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

De Hipster wrote: »
    Any photos or details of what happened the 'GrpB' GT4?

At the custom house specator area the Toyota Group B driver slowed (possibly to do a handbrake turn ?)and then veered to the right and straight into the metro causing heavy damage to the front suspension.

Overall this was as close as you will ever get to a Formula one car so in that respect was worth it, the vodaphone area was very good (and free) however the organisation was poor - no sign posting - stewards who didn't know what was going on eg pedestrian bridges closed.

My favourite was the food outlet at the customs house spectator area - gourmet sausages - except they where not cooked until long after the peak so only a €2 cup of tea was available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

How could you have got a pit pass for this? I had the paddock ticket and while I didn't pay the full amount for it, what you got for it was rubbish. I could barely see anything on the stands and you couldn't get close to anything, bar a few non F1 cars and even then, they were all behind barriers and everything. The website led you to believe you could watch the F1 cars being prepped and nothing could be further from the truth. The closest I got was to walk behind the make-shift garage where the cars were and it was just a solid white wall. I guess hearing the mechanics using the wheel guns counts as getting close to the cars :rolleyes:

Montage of yesterday:

Recorded on a camera phone and a crappy point and shoot, but I've run it through ProDAD Mercalli to stablise it and let YouTube fix the light/colours (still processing at the moment). I've condensed pretty much the whole day into under 8 minutes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

G-Money wrote: »
    How could you have got a pit pass for this? I had the paddock ticket and while I didn't pay the full amount for it, what you got for it was rubbish. I could barely see anything on the stands and you couldn't get close to anything, bar a few non F1 cars and even then, they were all behind barriers and everything. The website led you to believe you could watch the F1 cars being prepped and nothing could be further from the truth. The closest I got was to walk behind the make-shift garage where the cars were and it was just a solid white wall. I guess hearing the mechanics using the wheel guns counts as getting close to the cars :rolleyes:

Exact same as that for me .. except I paid full price !

Two relations that were leaving let us have theirs. You need to be a driver or mechanic etc in the actual event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I was working putting up the hated black netting all through the night in the píssing rain. On a plus note I got a good close-up look at all the cars and had a great chat with Jack Kennedys mechanic as he was getting the bike ready for the day. The McLaren F1 is a lovely looking car in the flesh, sparse enough on the inside though.
    Couldn't wait to get away and as soon as it was started I was gone. Pity about the weather but at least it cleared up from the downpour that kept up all night. The noise from the cars was pretty cool but Kennedys bike was the coolest thing on show for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I just them a big long email complaining about the paddock tickets. Lets see what they respond with, if anything!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement