Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to host to Formula One event! - Next June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

They are setting up the fanzone at the minute

76fa08d9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Hail, rain or shine, this is going to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

If I'm honest, I don't think it will (but I hope I am wrong). I'm a complete F1 nut and I'm not going to bother with it. Apart from the performance areas there isn't going to be much to see apart from the car not getting out of 3rd gear. From what I've seen along the quays the road is split in two by a metal/concrete barrier, so it will just be driving in a straight line for most of it.

Don't get me wrong, the sound will be immense, there is nothing like your first time hearing an F1 car for a petrol head, but I just have a feeling the overall experience won't be that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

If I'm honest, I don't think it will (but I hope I am wrong). I'm a complete F1 nut and I'm not going to bother with it. Apart from the performance areas there isn't going to be much to see apart from the car not getting out of 3rd gear. From what I've seen along the quays the road is split in two by a metal/concrete barrier, so it will just be driving in a straight line for most of it.

Don't get me wrong, the sound will be immense, there is nothing like your first time hearing an F1 car for a petrol head, but I just have a feeling the overall experience won't be that great.

Yeah I'm thinking the same. Once you have been to a Grand Prix already this won't come anywhere near it.

I'll still go for the craic though. It's the closest Ireland will probably ever come to a Grand Prix.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I tend to agree but the sound alone will be special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

recyclebin wrote: »
    It's the closest Ireland will probably ever come to a Grand Prix.

Reminds me of the time rumours were going around that A1GP would hold a race around the IFSC :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

I was going to head in and try to get some pics but the weather look like its going to be a washout...:rolleyes:

From Met.ie....
    Starting off wet in many areas on Sunday, with some further pulses of very heavy rain. Ongoing spot flooding. The rain will tend to pull away southeastwards in the afternoon and evening with drier, brighter conditions extending from the northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ivanc

Gintonious wrote: »
    Hail, rain or shine, this is going to be great.

Looks like we might get ALL three! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

westdub wrote: »
    I was going to head in and try to get some pics but the weather look like its going to be a washout...:rolleyes:

From Met.ie....

Well I hope nobody paid any attention to the forecast, it's gorgeous out

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

Im gutted I can't go to this tomorrow. My sister is heading in and shes only back from Monaco. She doesnt really like F1. Serious jealous rage for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Well I hope nobody paid any attention to the forecast, it's gorgeous out
    Yes it a lovely morning :cool: its a pity the show is on tomorrow.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

where do u think is the best place to get a glimpse of the action? (for free)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WoundedRhino

Pretty much this, I've been an F1 fan for over 20 years but never actually heard one running so looking forward to being blown away by the noise of it. I'm planning heading down earlier to try and get trackside - I just couldn't warrant 75E a ticket, plus my girlfriend is under 5 foot so if we aren't at the front she won't see a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Thinking of driving in, reckon I'd get parking if I was in town for around 10am?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

If the weather is as crap as they say it will be, I wonder will there be a risk the F1 demos could be canceled if there is standing water?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

viking wrote: »
    If the weather is as crap as they say it will be, I wonder will there be a risk the F1 demos could be canceled if there is standing water?

Seriously doubt it after the amount of advertising, they will take it very handy though I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Sitec wrote: »
    Seriously doubt it after the amount of advertising, they will take it very handy though I'd imagine
    We all know Button is exceptional in the wet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Really hoping the weather won't ruin the day, was looking forward to seeing some of the cars. The Ferrari owners club are doing a lap and I was really hoping to see an F40 but now I'm afraid that there's no real chance of that happening :(

Only in Ireland would we get rain and hail in June..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Really hoping the weather won't ruin the day, was looking forward to seeing some of the cars. The Ferrari owners club are doing a lap and I was really hoping to see an F40 but now I'm afraid that there's no real chance of that happening :(

Only in Ireland would we get rain and hail in June..
    Sure we're bound to see some eejit in a drift car crash in the rain so it's not all bad! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Weather is awful so far but according to Met Eireann the rain will slowly clear. I'd prefer it cleared quite fast. F*****g typical Ireland though.

I wasn't planning to head along to this but I managed to get a Paddock ticket cheaply so I will head along for a while. I don't know if the area I will be in will be covered but if it's not, I can't see myself hanging around too long if the rain doesn't ease off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I see the Bavaria City Racing site is down.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

From Twitter
    @Doylera: I wonder if Jenson Button knows that the quays has a 30km speed limit and that there's a camera van outside the Clarence Hotel @sportsdes”;

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Totally loving it and the pro drift driver loosing his bumper beside us was just class. Jensen put on a great show and can't wait for part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I'm sick and unfortunately can't join the party, but trying to see something in internet - usual webcams are useless, and I found only short material on RTE.
    Anyone with more luck?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I managed to get about 4 foot away from Jenson in his car. I had my daughter standing with me. He stopped in front of us, waved and then went full tilt. Immense noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't know if it was the cold but I had goose bumps when the McLaren went by. First time I've seen and heard an F1 car, it was glorious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

It was ok I thought. I managed to get a heavily discounted paddock ticket as had I forked out 170 euro, I would have been very disappointed. Here's the spiel on their website about the paddock ticket:
    At Bavaria City Racing we know how to make your Bavaria City Racing Dublin experience totally awesome! By purchasing a Bavaria City Racing Dublin F1 Paddock Ticket you will rub shoulders with the who’s who of international motorsport! Why not take a walk down the Paddock area and watch the F1 engineers prepare and ready their cars before they take to the Bavaria City Racing Dublin Track.

Then sit back and witness F1, WRC, Superbikes, Stunt Drivers, Super Cars, Drifters and more performing exclusive demonstrations for you in your dedicated F1 Paddock performance zone.

Each car will leave their Paddock were you will witness every donut, smell every wheel-spinning burnout and feel every ground shaking performance from every single car that takes to our track right in front of your eyes, and guess what we have over 24,800 bhp of pure racing machine madness for you to see!

So don’t stand six deep at the side of the track, sit back and relax in the knowledge that you have the best seat in the house!

Well I walked for ages down the Quays only for them to close some gate and make everyone walk back down and over a temporary footbridge which took about 10 minutes to cross as people were going both directions at the same time. I then had to walk back down the other side of the Quays to try and find the "Paddock". When I got there, it was just some grandstands with no better view than you could have got actually standing along the side of the free area. In fact the grandstands had a worse view as the cars were so low down.

The area where they would do donuts in the paddock, you couldn't see. They had erected two covered enclosed grandstands that you apparently needed a special wristband to access and they had the best view of where they'd spin the cars.

Based on their description above, I thought you'd have been able to get really close in to where the cars were but I couldn't anyway, there were barriers and netting everywhere. I'd have hoped to have got some pictures but the F1 cars were in makeshift tents and you couldn't see anything.

I imagine anyone who forked out the full price for the paddock ticket will be wondering why they did it and what extra they got. From what I could see, the cheaper tickets down at the O'Connell bridge performance zone had much better viewing.

Great to see and hear an F1 car, but for what the organisers promised for that ticket, they definitely didn't deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I thought it was a fairly poorly organised event but hearing that McLaren and Caterham screaming through Dublin is something I will never forget, the noise is simply amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So aside from hearing the cars, it was pretty much as you'd expect from an event organised on

fatherted.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

There was a lot of 'downtime' between parades. Being honest, besides for the sound, it was basically just a car parade. Saying that, I enjoyed it immensely and really has me eager to go see the European GP in Valencia in 3 weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement