Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

mickmcl09 wrote: »
    Have you any examples? Or is that just here say?

If you knew the rules of Harty cup, you'd know that is no longer the case. Re: The Gantley's from Galway who wanted to play with Flannans in the late 90's.

You have to be attending a school for more than 1 full academic year to participate on that's schools behalf in Harty Cup.

I know of it happening. I also know of players who have been playing Harty Cup immediately upon transferring schools. How is the rule exactly defined? Is it just for lads that have already played Harty?

I'd be very suprised if it's not happening in Flannan's as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

No one was complaining about amalgamated teams two years ago when colaiste nd nDeise lost to Kerry colleges.... Haters gunna hate

No one was complaining about amalgamated teams two years ago when colaiste nd nDeise lost to Kerry colleges.... Haters gunna hate

Yeah I mean it's not like the best players have been hand picked from Waterford schools and put on that team, only the pick of those that go to Dungarvan and most of the players on the team play for clubs in the Minor B championship and some even C (players from Naomh Brid, St Olivers and Brickeys). Fairplay to them, and they one there games so comfortably as well which makes the achievement even more impressive.

The western u21 football championsip had three games on last night:

Quarter finals:

Clashmore/Kinsalebeg 2-5 v 1-10 Ballinacourty

The Nire 2-10 v An Ghaeltacht 0-10

Semi Final:

Dungarvan 2-11 v St.Olivers 2-04

The Nire will now meet Ballinacourty in the semi with the winner playing Dungarvan in the final. Apparently Brian O'Halloran played for Clashmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭parish girl

Congratulations to St Declans who beat Pallaskenry in the Munster c hurling Final. Great year for Waterford Collages competing in all 3 SH munsterfinals and winning two.
    Great display of hurling yesterday in Tipp town, Coached by Shane Briggs and Brian Murray. Jim Power Butlerstown and Darren Foran Portlaw stars on the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

i feel sorry for poor jamie barron!

Why would u? He made his decision no one forced him into it. Moving schools for GAA reasons always baffles me tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Footballers had a good in away win in Wicklow today, 4-7 to 1-12. Promotion chances may be back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Very good win for the footballers up in Aughrim, which is a difficult place to get a result. Fermanagh will probably take first spot, but the race for second is totally wide open.

I heard the Waterford full forward line made good use of the wind and some poor Wicklow marking. Ferncombe got a hat-trick of goals and G.Hurney another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

doz wrote: »
    I think it is worth noting, and I am not sure that all people who have contributed to this debate understand, that Colaiste na nDeise is made up of two small schools from the same town (Dungarvan), which combined have a total of c. 600 male students. This is in no way comparable to what some posters are suggesting about schools/colleges from Tipp, Cork etc potentially amalgamating. In fact, at this point I think that the team should be renamed Colaisti Dun Garbhan, as this is in truth what the team now is. These players are representing a town in the same way that players from the larger schools in Nenagh, Templemoore etc are. I think there is a certain element of begrudgery going on which is completely unwarranted simply because an amalgamation of two very small schools have taken on and beaten some of the 'mighty' schools who traditionally did well in the competition. The fact of the matter is that this is a fantastic effort from a wonderfully talented group of players which deserves plaudits from all corners of the county and beyond.

Nenagh is not a ''large' school, they have less than 500 students and nobody is begrudging anyhting everyone, myself included, has said it was a grest win and well deserved but just questioned whether it was correct to allow amalgamations into the competition when they are not allowed in to so many other inter county competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

what rock did all these Colaiste na nDeise haters crawl out from?

Well done to them & I really hope they go all the way now!

& Well done to the Footballers! great result!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

I know of it happening. I also know of players who have been playing Harty Cup immediately upon transferring schools. How is the rule exactly defined? Is it just for lads that have already played Harty?

I'd be very suprised if it's not happening in Flannan's as well.

I'd be fairly sure it's not happening in Flannans and other schools for the most part. It's like playing for Man United or Barcelona. Any young fella with potential is going to want to have the chance not only to play with a good team but to increase their chances of winning by playing with the more successful ones. There's no doubt that kids go to certain schools to win Harty's but that schools are enticing them is a jealous misconception that comes out of certain schools winning too often.

I can't see amalgamations being the way forward in this competition and regarding the rules. The munster council is the ruling body AFAIK and they won't be long cracking down on schools again if they get wind that players are moving post junior cert. If certain schools don't have a history of winning the competition, it's highly unlikely that an official would go to the bother of checking every players eligibility under this rule.

Comeragh - who are the haters? I think nearly all posters who questioned amalgamating teams congratulated CND in the same post. Have you ever played Harty? If you have, have you ever been involved in a Harty final? Only then would you appreciate how hard it is to win one.

• Advertisement

mickmcl09 wrote: »
    I'd be fairly sure it's not happening in Flannans and other schools for the most part. It's like playing for Man United or Barcelona. Any young fella with potential is going to want to have the chance not only to play with a good team but to increase their chances of winning by playing with the more successful ones. There's no doubt that kids go to certain schools to win Harty's but that schools are enticing them is a jealous misconception that comes out of certain schools winning too often.

I can't see amalgamations being the way forward in this competition and regarding the rules. The munster council is the ruling body AFAIK and they won't be long cracking down on schools again if they get wind that players are moving post junior cert. If certain schools don't have a history of winning the competition, it's highly unlikely that an official would go to the bother of checking every players eligibility under this rule.

Comeragh - who are the haters? I think nearly all posters who questioned amalgamating teams congratulated CND in the same post. Have you ever played Harty? If you have, have you ever been involved in a Harty final? Only then would you appreciate how hard it is to win one.

Sorry but there's plenty of examples to be seen if you really look at it instead of choosing to ignore it. I'm not gonna mention names as that would be unfair but it's definetly. To be honest, I don't really care about the Harty, my school didn't even have a hurling team so it's not jealousy by any means.

Also, I think anyone can tell you that it's hard to win a Harty Cup but it's not capturing the Holy Grail as you seem to be making it out to be.

Well done to C na D it is a magnificent acheivement for them but I think it's high time we leave the Harty Cup where it is and if you really want to get more opinions on amalgamations (haven't a clue how that's spelt) and whether they are fair, start a new thread on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

great away win for the footballers, difficult place to go and win. lets hope this is a boost for a promotion push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

Nenagh CBS straight through to the All ireland semi final after ulster collges pull out, they did the same last year, now CnD left with a tricky quarter final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Nenagh CBS straight through to the All ireland semi final after ulster collges pull out, they did the same last year, now CnD left with a tricky quarter final

Some joke! CnD are playing Kilkenny CBS on Saturday, does anyone know where and what time?

Cake Man wrote: »
    Some joke! CnD are playing Kilkenny CBS on Saturday, does anyone know where and what time?

I heard saturday in carriganore being mentioned.not sure of exact time tho

Seems like a farce. What way does the AI championship work? How come as Munster champions CnaD dont automatically qualify for AI semis?

Is there really a need for a backdoor in this competition aswell Id ask. Player burnout must come into question here and considering your talking abt lads getting ready for exams aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭parish girl

colaistí na nDeise v Kilkenny CBS on Saturday in Walsh Park at 2 o clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

shame it's not on as a curtain raiser to the W v KK match on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

comeraghs wrote: »
    shame it's not on as a curtain raiser to the W v KK match on Sunday!

That was the original plan but heard earlier that it was something to do with some selectors on the KK CBS team are also involved with the KK seniors so they put the matches on seperate days. Hopefully a big crowd will turn out to shout on the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭thesultan

Any idea of the team for Sunday? We need a good one or else a hammering will be on the cards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Team not named yet. I've heard the injured are progressing well by all accounts. Maurice and Ringo trained Tuesday. Liam Lawlor trained hard too so maybe he might be ready for a start on Sunday. That'd be good to see. Darragh Fives, Liam and Ringo in the full back-line hopefully. Shane O'Sullivan played both games for Mary I last weekend so he must be ready for a start too with Kevin Moran and hopefully, for me, i'd like to see Philip Mahoney get a run at wingback. Can't see anyone but Molumphy and Paul O'Brien at midfield. Brick will be CF. I'd like to see Paudie Mahoney and Maurice , if he's fit enough after missing the couple of weeks, on the wings. If not maybe Seamus could do a job on Sunday on the wing, but I would actually like to see given more time at full forward, i thought he actually did well against Clare at full in the crystal and uses his head to create good scoring opportunities for the lads. I'm not sure if he has the pace for out the field now and I think his physicality would add to what isn't the biggest full forward line. What about maybe Shane Walsh out wing instead of inside? I think a full forward line of Martin O Neill, Seamus and Gavin O'Brien has the potential for scores. I think we might see a different face in goal too, maybe even O'Keefe as I heard he's been training well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

thesultan wrote: »
    Any idea of the team for Sunday? We need a good one or else a hammering will be on the cards

Prepare for a hammering either way.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Prepare for a hammering either way.

The last time we played KK in walsh park we won, in 2009 only a few months after the AI hammering. Cant see us winning Sunday though, not with the strength of the team kk are using for the league. would like to think there will be a big improvement on the Cork game and we'll give them a good rattle. Another chance for younglads to gain experience against top class opposition. Walsh Park is not a place teams have liked to come in recent times, and hopefully we can keep it that way under new management.

Does anyone know if Jake Dillon is in the reckoning?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

Adrian power has left the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

IanVW wrote: »
    Are you serious? Why

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Does anyone know if Jake Dillon is in the reckoning?[/Quote]

No he's not in the panel for the league,He's training with them tho. I think he should be excused from this year's panel he hasn't had a proper rest in few years an it is starting to take it's toll. Poor youngfella looks burnt out the club championship really wore him out when dls got bet in all ireland semi final,he played 3 yrs minor for Waterford u-21 last year. Fitzgibbon cup. Plus minor u-21 an senior for club it's too much for anyone. Rest him or ruin him he's 19 an it's like he's around years

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

http://www.examiner.ie/sport/GAA/waterford-building-up-slowly-insists-brick-186431.html

Just read it about Adrian at the bottom of this article.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

glick6 wrote: »
    Team not named yet. I've heard the injured are progressing well by all accounts. Maurice and Ringo trained Tuesday. Liam Lawlor trained hard too so maybe he might be ready for a start on Sunday. That'd be good to see. Darragh Fives, Liam and Ringo in the full back-line hopefully. Shane O'Sullivan played both games for Mary I last weekend so he must be ready for a start too with Kevin Moran and hopefully, for me, i'd like to see Philip Mahoney get a run at wingback. Can't see anyone but Molumphy and Paul O'Brien at midfield. Brick will be CF. I'd like to see Paudie Mahoney and Maurice , if he's fit enough after missing the couple of weeks, on the wings. If not maybe Seamus could do a job on Sunday on the wing, but I would actually like to see given more time at full forward, i thought he actually did well against Clare at full in the crystal and uses his head to create good scoring opportunities for the lads. I'm not sure if he has the pace for out the field now and I think his physicality would add to what isn't the biggest full forward line. What about maybe Shane Walsh out wing instead of inside? I think a full forward line of Martin O Neill, Seamus and Gavin O'Brien has the potential for scores. I think we might see a different face in goal too, maybe even O'Keefe as I heard he's been training well.

Not sure if Philip O Mahony has the speed and mobility required for this level after watching UCC at the weekend although it was a dirty day so perhaps I’m being a bit harsh on the lad. Would prefer to see Dara on the wing with his brother Shane being tried in the corner, thought he was one of our better players against Clare,

As for the forwards would agree with you about Seamus as an option in FF but still think Shane Walsh is our best threat there. He hasn’t the pace for wing, O Neil and O Brien in the corners are very young but our options are limited at the moment so worth a try but could be a though day for both against the cats.

Half forwards and Mid field as u said but would like to see P O Brien in the corner for a bit with Sully midfield and P o Mahony coming in on the wing, one way or the other think we in for a rough day but hope springs eternal

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

IanVW wrote: »

Something had to give really, with regard to the goalkeeping spot. Great puckout and hell of a shot stopper, I was looking forward to seeing him and Stephen O'Keefe battle it out for the no. 1 this season. You can hardly begrudge Iggy a break after how things turned out in '04, but Power and O'Keefe seemed to be the two for me. What we wouldn't have given for all these goalkeeping selection dilemmas for most of the 2000's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Shame to see Power leave the panel. Must be very frustrating for him to see someone who hasn't been on the panel in years to come in and get a place ahead of him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement