Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭waterford1988

Haven't heard anything yet...I presume Iggy will be on goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Daniel's involved with C.I.T so is not available.

How come Mahony is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

How come Mahony is available?

I wasnt aware he was available.. are you sure Mountainlad??

Team

1.Iggy
    2.Stephen Daniels
    3.Darragh Fives
    4.Philip Mahony
    5.Jamie Nagle
    6.Kevin Moran
    7.Declan Prender
    8.Paul O'Brien
    9.Steve Molumphy
    10.Seamus Prender
    11.Brick
    12.Paudie Mahony
    13.Martin O'Neill
    14.Shane Walsh
    15.Shane Casey

I wasnt aware he was available.. are you sure Mountainlad??

Yeah he played last week sure. And it would appear all the college boys are allowed play judging from the team.

David O'Sullivan only came on as a late sub for UCD on Wednesday, which would suggest he's not fully fit or his form has deteriorated drastically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭waterford1988

Very young full back line! All very good hurlers but would like to see a bit more experience back there.

Have to presume Aidan Kearney and Shane O Sullivan are also on the injured list?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

looking forward to seeing how that full back line performs. very youthful but great potential. i suppose its the silver lining of the cloud that is noel connors and ringo being injured. heard shane o'sullivan just has a virus nothing serious. maurice was walking around at training tonight handy enough so there's nothing broken there anyway so hopefully he'l be back for next match in two weeks. shane walsh trained last two sessions so he looks good to go. cant wait until tomorrow now, really hope the lads get off to a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Strong enough looking side. I see Iggy has leapfrogged the others to the no. 1 spot. Shall be interesting to see Daniels and Mahony at cornerback.

Kinda have a bit more hope after seeing the team now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

Team

1.Iggy
    2.Stephen Daniels
    3.Darragh Fives
    4.Philip Mahony
    5.Jamie Nagle
    6.Kevin Moran
    7.Declan Prender
    8.Paul O'Brien
    9.Steve Molumphy
    10.Seamus Prender
    11.Brick
    12.Paudie Mahony
    13.Martin O'Neill
    14.Shane Walsh
    15.Shane Casey

Why the f**k would you come on here posting a fake team. You're some moron. The real team is

1. Ian O’Regan
    2. Noel Connors
    3. Darragh Fives
    4. Aidan Kearney
    5. Jamie Nagle
    6. Kevin Moran
    7. Shane O’Sullivan
    8. Stephen Molumphy
    9. Paul O’Brien
    10. Maurice Shanahan
    11. Michael Walsh
    12. Paudie Mahony
    13. Martin O’Neill
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Shane Casey

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Deise_Davy wrote: »
    Why the f**k would you come on here posting a fake team. You're some moron. The real team is

1. Ian O’Regan
    2. Noel Connors
    3. Darragh Fives
    4. Aidan Kearney
    5. Jamie Nagle
    6. Kevin Moran
    7. Shane O’Sullivan
    8. Stephen Molumphy
    9. Paul O’Brien
    10. Maurice Shanahan
    11. Michael Walsh
    12. Paudie Mahony
    13. Martin O’Neill
    14. Shane Walsh
    15. Shane Casey

I think you will be apologising to Mountainlad when you see the starting line up tomorrow. Connors, Ringo and Shanahan injured and Sullivan virus, all out. Mountainlad team is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 S8G

Lads, the sooner people face up to the fact that Waterford hurling and hurlers are simply not good enough the better.. All this bs talk, but the facts are to be seen in the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

S8G wrote: »
    Lads, the sooner people face up to the fact that Waterford hurling and hurlers are simply not good enough the better.. All this bs talk, but the facts are to be seen in the pitch

I smell a troll....

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 S8G

STIG83 wrote: »

I smell a troll....
    I'm from Waterford and the crap yee go on with, it's a embarrassment. The team is simply not good enough and never will be..

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

The Waterford side to face Cork in the first round of the NHL has been announced.

The Decies travel to Pairc Ui Rinn to take on the Rebels in their own back yard in an all-Munster Division 1A opener and Michael Ryan has named a team of interesting dynamic for his first league game at the helm.

Twelve different clubs are represented, with only Mount Sion, Ballygunner and Tallow providing more than one player (two each).

Stradbally's Michael 'Brick' Walsh captains the side from centre forward, with former captain Stephen Molumphy (Ballyduff Upper) and Tallow's Paul O'Brien forming the midfield axis.

The full forward line comprises Martin O'Neill (Mount Sion), Shane Walsh (Fourmilewater) and Shane Casey (Dunhill).

Waterford (NHL V Cork): Ian O'Regan; Noel Connors, Daragh Fives, Aidan Kearney; Jamie Nagle, Kevin Moran, Shane O'Sullivan; Stephen Molumphy, Paul O'Brien; Maurice Shanahan, Michael Walsh (captain), Paudie Mahony; Martin O'Neill, Shane Walsh, Shane Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

i got that off the hoganstand

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Seems like Michael Ryan and co, are not above a little gamesmanship..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

I'm from Waterford and the crap yee go on with, it's a embarrassment. The team is simply not good enough and never will be..

'Ye' being waterford? the county your allegedly from? not only a troll but a con-artist!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Anyone got a stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

^ if you're on eircom - http://eircomsports.eircom.net/Setanta/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Don't bother their getting hammered.Really bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I wonder are those who felt I and many others were jumping the gun by voicing concern as confident after seeing that tonight?

Last time out we were heavily beaten by a Division 2 team, tonight we were heavily beaten by the second most likely team to be relegated from Division 1 - after us that is.

So many problems all over the field. The full forward line looks particularly toothless. They must be one of the smallest in the top tier, yet we continued to lump high ball in on them.

Half forward line was almost as poor. I'm very unimpressed by Brick at centre forward thus far, and his touch is awful. Prendergast wasted a lot of possession, but should be considered for full forward I reckon.

Midfield and half backline were ok, and won a lot of ball in the second half. Wouldn't like to see Nagle or D.Prender still there come championship though.

Full back line ripped apart in the first half. Some of the goals were caused by the defense as a whole though. Daniels is not a corner back, Ryan should have known this after managing him at club level.

So, I still feel Waterford will end up looking at relegation in the league. A lot of work to do for the summer. I was enthused by some of the young players - Paudie Prendergast looks to be a good player. Gavin O'Brien showed a couple of poor touches, but took two neat points when he got the ball in his hand. O'Regan coming back did quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Despite the poverty of their overall display, were it not for some terrible shooting by Waterford and Seamus Prendergast’s deflected shot going the wrong side of the post, for all Cork’s fancy play this game still could have been very close at the end. Three of Shane Casey’s misses are simply unacceptable at this level and Pauric Mahony was also guilty of some bad misses.

The poor shooting was itself one symptom of Waterford’s very poor first touch and striking on the night, in contrast to Cork’s sharpness in these areas. There are two normal explanations for poor touch and striking. One is that the team hasn’t been doing enough hurling on the training field. The other is that the team just wasn’t psychologically up for the game.

The latter explanation seems the most obvious to me, as also reflected in the team’s lack of physicality and alertness, as they repeatedly gave Cork the freedom of the park to do what they liked with the ball. It is virtually a law of nature that if you allow Cork to play, they will do precisely that. The best way to beat Cork is to get stuck into them, as they tend to have a lot of flashy players with no real stomach for a physical battle. Players like Pa Cronin and Cathal Naughton are notorious for disappearing out of games when the going gets tough, but nobody was getting up close and personal with them tonight. And their newcomers should have been given an appropriate welcome to the world of senior intercounty hurling but this didn’t happen.

Not having the team in the proper frame of mind is itself a poor reflection on the team management. What was even more worrying was further evidence of the lack of any tactical or strategic approach to how the game should be played. Cork were playing to a well thought-out plan and everyone knew what to do with the ball when they got it, no matter where they got it. Of course it was easy enough to put this into effect given their good touch and striking and the amount of freedom they were allowed, especially in the first half.

Waterford, by contrast, seemed to be making it up as they went along. Their poor touch frequently meant that they were under pressure most of the time when in possession. They usually passed the ball just to get out of trouble, whereas Cork were much more creative with their passing. Waterford, by contrast, were generally inclined to just hit the ball upfield and hope for the best.

The clueless nature of the Waterford performance was never more in evidence than when Eoin McGrath replaced Shane Walsh at the start of the second half. This meant that Waterford had no target man near the goal in the third quarter, but despite this, the Waterford outfield players kept driving high balls into the goal area where they were gobbled up time and again by Cork’s bigger and stronger defenders. You would imagine that the mentors might have told the players going out for the second half: “We’re bringing on Eoin McGrath for Shane Walsh at full forward, so play low balls into the corner to stretch the defence, and don’t be lobbing high balls in”. But there is no evidence that such basic advice was given.

Things did improve a bit when the penny finally dropped and the selectors moved Seamus Prendergast into full forward, but after he went off and Waterford ended up with an even smaller full forward line when Tomás Ryan came in, the outfield players continued to hit long balls into the goal area rather than try to open things up by playing down the wings.

Of course, it is hard to take seriously a management that appears to think that Eoin McGrath has anything to offer at this level, and it must break the other players’ hearts to see him either starting or coming on as a sub.

One is always wary of picking on individual players when the whole team is playing poorly, and I would be particularly slow to criticise the full back line, given the amount of quality ball being sent on them, especially in the first half. My concerns about Iggy O’Regan’s lack of physical presence were borne out again as he failed to make himself big for any of the three goals and actually turned is back on Cathal Naughton for the second. If he had saved even one of the goals, it would have made Waterford’s task in the second half much more manageable. In the second half, he also opted to belt a ball he had collected on his goal line out over the sideline, rather than taking on the incoming forwards as Adrian Power would have done.

We had two wing backs playing tonight who both lack pace and are unable to win their own ball in the air, and Cork certainly exploited this. It also meant that Waterford didn’t have the platform to control the game in the middle of the field, although things did improve in the second half when Cork slackened off somewhat.

Like in Dungarvan the previous week, the one bright light was provided by Gavin O’Brien, who appears to have the priceless knack of making scoring look easy. However, what was the point of taking off Martin O’Neill to make way for him and leave Eoin McGrath on the field? At least O’Neill is capable of offering a scoring threat, something you would never say about McGrath, and being twelve years the younger, surely O’Neill has more long-term potential which needs to be nurtured.

I felt rather sorry for Shane Casey tonight, as he did win an amount of possession and could easily have had four or give points. However, at this stage his self-confidence appears to be at an all-time low.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Kilkenny up next it doesn't get any easier. A very poor result tonight its going to be very hard to get a win in our group the way this team are playing. A real step backwards watch the crowd's dwindle away. A win against Kilkenny Sunday week would be brilliant but that looks very slim now. I hope all the Colaitse boys were to busy making plans for tomorrow because if they were watching this match tonight what would they think, Waterford are a soft touch. What a pity after all the good years here we are again what team would fear us now certainly not Clare. Best of luck to Colaiste Na Deise tomorrow give us some hope for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Sounds like Waterford were poor by the comments i'm reading here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Its early in the year but im not enthused at all by what I saw last night. The main positive I would say is that there are maybe 6 or 7 more players to come into the reckoning. Mullane, Noel Connors, Maurice Shanahan, Shane O'Sullivan, Wayne Hutchinson, Richie Foley, Tony Browne and Liam Lawlor.

In goal I thought Iggy was ok but nothing special. He was criticised above for the goals but I wouldnt agree. Not much he could do. Id like to see power in the next day for his shot stopping ability and distribution. He deserves a run after a few years playing second fiddle to Hennessy and if it dosent work at least we know weve solid enough backup.
    The full back line got a real baptism of fire. At the start I was quite excited about a fullbackline of daniels, fives and mahony,3 supposed stars of the future but it was a tough night for all of them. Fives was caught very bad for the 3rd goal, the other 2 struggled. In the halfbackline I think Moran orchestrated things well and can make this position his own but judging Brick Walsh's performance up in the forwards he could be shafted back there yet. What is Jamie Nagle doing wing back? He is just not a defender. Declan Prendergast on the other wing didn't have a good night I think his time maybe up.
    Midfield I was impressed with Paul O'Brien. Its one of the few experiments that this new management is trying that is worth pursuing. He seems to be hurling with a lot of confidence and has more of a presence about him than he had when last on the panel a few years ago. Molumphy was as he ever was and midfield is definetly his best position. If I ever see him inside corner forward again I'll just go home.
    The forwards as has been mentioned above seemed to lack any kind of direction or cohesion. What was our game plan? I just dont know. Paudie Mahony and Martin O'Neills frees kept us in the game other than that we were living off scraps really. O'Neill I thought did well showed some nice touches and picked off a couple of nice scores. Casey in the other corner had to workhard for any kind of possesion as high balls just dont suit him. Shane Walsh replaced by Eoin McGrath at half time was a strange move.Brick Walsh didnt remotely resemble the hurler weve seen over the last few years. I really dont know where were going after that.

Im not here to talk about Cork but their workrate was phenomenal really left us for dead in that department. Much hungrier for it. What about Conr Lehane at no. 10? Looks a star in the making. Class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Disappointing result last night but to be fair, many on here and elsewhere predicted as much.
    Our forwards just weren't able to win ball and on the few occasions they did, made some bad decisions and poor wides. It didn't look as though we had any type of game plan and as Giveitfong alluded to, the backs were just launching aimless ball in on top of small forwards which meant we were never going to get much. Cork on the other hand had much better movement, picking out team mates in good positions which lead to scores. Our first touch was dire, lost count how many times players lost possession or were bottled up as a result of failing to control the ball first time.
    It was one of those games where we spent the match chasing the game when Cork got three quick fire goals. When we did get it back to 5pts (and to be fair in that 10min purple patch we did do well to close the gap), we badly needed a goal but couldn't make the breakthrough.

I'd like to see Brick restored to centre back, don't think the whole centre forward experiment is paying much dividends. Moving him to wing forward was no better. Moran also struggled at CB, he'd be more effective midfield IMO. Fives actually didn't do too bad I thought, fair enough his marker did get 2 goals but one bounced favourably for Paudie O'Sullivan from a breakdown. Philip Mahony and Steven Daniels were turned very easily on numerous occasions but the simple fact is that they're just not corner backs.

The positives I see were Gavin O'Brien doing well when coming on, same with Paudie Prendergast. Martin O'Neill wasn't bad either. The second half performance was better, maybe it was more down to Cork taking their foot off the gas but we outscored them in that second half. There's also a good few to come back so I'm hopeful the team will be significantly strenghtened by the time KK come to town. It won't be easy though.

Also, the very best of luck to Colaisti na Deise in the Harty final today, I hope they do it. All the best lads.

cascade12 wrote: »
    I think you will be apologising to Mountainlad when you see the starting line up tomorrow. Connors, Ringo and Shanahan injured and Sullivan virus, all out. Mountainlad team is correct.

I don't think he'll apologise to be honest.

Disappointing but I don't think this the litmus test of this management. Entire full back line missing, Shane Sully, David O'Sullivan, Maurice, Tony Browne, Mullane, Richie Foley and to be honest Shane Walsh wasn't fit enough to start yesterday. That is a serious list to be fair.

I don't think there were much other options other than to start what we had yesterday. Maybe Fives could have made a case for inclusion, and moved either Philip Mahony or Daniels to wing back, but that's about the size of it. I think the two win back were very poor. Lehane is a sensational young player, but 7 points is just an unacceptable amount to concede, and 1-2 is about as much as Cathal Naughton has scored in any match in his life, and he had that at half time yesterday.

Midfield did well I thought. Half forward line were pretty poor, particularly Brick. I thought the corner forwards did as well as they could, Martin O'Neill in particular looked sharp first half. The difference in the quality of ball into the forwards was the main problem and that could be attributed to the lack of pressure on the Cork backs clearing, but when Waterford had time and space they didn't play the same quality ball in then either.

We will do well to avoid relegation this year, but the league is not the be all and end all for me anyway. I think Cork were preparing for tomorrow, I don't know that we were. That me be unwise but I suppose with a full team the perception may have been that we could challenge anyway, but of course what we had was far from that.

By the way, I think Cork could beat Galway and Dublin. For this time of year, their touch and score taking was really good and they have a very pacy forward line, and a good looking full back line.

Notable mention for Gavin O'Brien, thought he looked impressive when he came one, should be considered for the next day to start.

Paudie Prendergast also did very well upon introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Poor showing from waterford last night, not so much the result considering the amount of player missing, more the lack of intensity, poor first touch and inability to create any space up front, had really hoped that the new managment would be concentrating on these aspects of our play after the last few years, Can forgive fitness at this stage but I dont feel that explains preformance anyway , Also some poor sideline decisions before and during game even considering limted bench. Jamie Nagle is not a back. Eoin Mcgrath is not a super -sub, Shane walsh was not fit to play,

On a positive Thought fives didnt do to bad considering, the cover being provided from rest of defence, Gavin o Brien looked promising and Martin O Neil still showing potential (presume taken off over bang on elbow) Mid field was decent enough, i wonder though considering the options we will have there when injurys clear would Paul o Brien be a option at corner forward , has a bit of pace, able to score, good awareness and fights like a dog for the ball ?

Congrats to colasti na Deise , great win, thats 3 strong preformances in a row, not always a Waterford trait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Brilliant result for Colaiste na Deise the Harty Cup will be in Dungarvan tonight. Really great display from all concerned. 2.14 to 1.13 in the end with the goal coming near the end for Nenagh as consolation for the hardworking Jason Forde. Both teams are still in the race for the All Ireland so best of luck to all going forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement