Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Masita Gaa All Ireland Colleges SF (2nd half,51 min) St Kieran's College 0-10 Dungarvan Colleges 5-7 #Hurling”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Masita Gaa All Ireland Colleges SF (2nd half,51 min) St Kieran's College 0-10 Dungarvan Colleges 5-7 #Hurling”

Hope they can hold out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

5-08 to 1-10 they won.

When will the final be? Looking forward to seeing them play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

finished 5-8 to 1-10, great win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

The principal of St Kieran's prepares for the return of the team that lost to a shower of mudbloods:

A.jpg

• Advertisement

deiseach wrote: »
    The principal of St Kieran's prepares for the return of the team that lost to a shower of mudbloods:

A.jpg

Lol. Some hammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Final is in Thurles on Saturday week, April 6.

Sorry couldn't make the game today so no match report.

There is a good report on www.thescore.ie (click GAA tab).

Anybody know when the All-Ireland B final between Dungarvan CBS and St Mary's Belfast will be played?

A.jpg

dont be fooled though lads Kilkenny CBS will be a way better team. Kierans may be the traditional power-houses but this KK CBS team have been exceptional all the way up since Rice Cup.

Hope our lads can pull it off they deserve it. Have been a super team over the past couple years and have done their clubs county proud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

We've got a poor record against Galway in the League. P34 W12 D1 L21. We've won the last two but had previously lost six on the bounce, so I wouldn't put any stock in that return. The Championship, on the other hand . . .

Championship-record-Galway-1938-2013.jpg

:D

I mentioned the issue about Waterfords championship record to a Galway fan.Now bear in mind that i have no great gra for Galway im just telling you what he told me!He said well at least a few of our all ireland wins were captured on coloured tv.:D

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Well done Dungarvan Colleges on a brilliant victory, another Kilkenny school to face in the final should be a cracker.

• Advertisement

robopaddy wrote: »
    ah would you go way out of it, making it out to sound like ye proved the world wrong in a David v Goliath clash. Cork were raging hot favourites going into that game and actually struggled to get over the line in the end against one of the poorest teams to reach an AI final in recent years.

you say Galway would have beaten us last year well they were supposed to beat us in 09 and 2011 aswell when they looked to be steam-rolling their way through the AI qualifiers. Our record against them in the league is poor but traditionally we do not fear them and our championship record will tell you that. Of course they are going to beat us eventually but dont be comparing it to some non-existent theory just so you can start a gloating session about yere AI win in 2010

Well that Cork team played the best football all year in 09 but a lack of experience cost them in the final that year.Despite the hatred and begrudgery they deserved that all ireland.At least we won enough all irelands between all grades and codes in the GAA to be begrudged for them i suppose.:D Im not gloating about anything but Galway pushed Kilkenny all the way last year.They would have beaten Waterford last year that may not sit well with some people but im just calling it as i see it.Anyway back to the match i have to say that Kevin Moran fella must be the most underrated hurler in Ireland.He's a great bit of stuff and i don't think Jamie Nagle is as bad a hurler as some Waterford fans would have you believe either!

Sidenote Don't be too offended by anything i said there im just stooping to Paddys level because it's the only language the mans capable of understanding.

dont be fooled though lads Kilkenny CBS will be a way better team. Kierans may be the traditional power-houses but this KK CBS team have been exceptional all the way up since Rice Cup.

Hope our lads can pull it off they deserve it. Have been a super team over the past couple years and have done their clubs county proud

You might well be right, but the patricians losing to the plebs . . . you have to laugh.

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Sorry couldn't make the game today so no match report.

Thomas Keane has one on his blog.

I mentioned the issue about Waterfords championship record to a Galway fan.Now bear in mind that i have no great gra for Galway im just telling you what he told me!He said well at least a few of our all ireland wins were captured on coloured tv.:D

Sure when you get a by to the semi final every year, your bound to win one or two...

Sure when you get a by to the semi final every year, your bound to win one or two...

That's actually true LOL.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

Well that Cork team played the best football all year in 09 but a lack of experience cost them in the final that year.Despite the hatred and begrudgery they deserved that all ireland.At least we won enough all irelands between all grades and codes in the GAA to be begrudged for them i suppose.:D Im not gloating about anything but Galway pushed Kilkenny all the way last year.They would have beaten Waterford last year that may not sit well with some people but im just calling it as i see it.Anyway back to the match i have to say that Kevin Moran fella must be the most underrated hurler in Ireland.He's a great bit of stuff and i don't think Jamie Nagle is as bad a hurler as some Waterford fans would have you believe either!

Sidenote Don't be too offended by anything i said there im just stooping to Paddys level because it's the only language the mans capable of understanding.

Your a subtle troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

From @officialgaa

To clarify, if two teams finish on equal points in the Allianz Leagues then positioning is decided by their head to head meeting (1/2)

If more than two teams are on equal points in the Allianz Leagues then positioning will be determined by scoring difference (2/2) #GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

That's a case of the tuppence looking down on the ha'penny if I ever heard one!

What is the story on Tony Browne. Why won't he come out to say he will or won't make himself available this year. He is a legend and owes Waterford hurling absolutely nothing but shouldn't he come out and confirm one way or the other about this year? Looking at how strong we have looked 2-9 in the league so far you'd imagine opportunities will be limited for him this year....
    Time waits for no man and all that.

At least we won enough all irelands between all grades and codes in the GAA to be begrudged for them i suppose.:D Im not gloating about anything

sounds like contradiction of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Former Waterford hurler Paul Flynn has acknowledged Waterford lost respect because of their actions just before the start and in the early stages of the 2008 All-Ireland hurling final against Kilkenny.

makes his comments in the latest 'Laochra Gael' programme which will be broadcast on TG4 tomorrow night.

Flynn, who came on as a sub, reflected on attempts by Waterford players to intimidate Kilkenny which clearly backfired. "I think we lost a bit of respect. There's no question that the first five minutes of that All-Ireland don't figure as one of our finest achievements."

Flynn also raised questions about the preparations for that game – a series of team-building activities they engaged in – a stark contrast from what Kilkenny were doing.

"The hurling aspect of the All-Ireland final was gone," he recalled. "We were climbing, canoeing, jumping off the pier in Carlingford. Meanwhile, Kilkenny were playing six 50-minute matches of hard hurling."

Flynn wonders if Waterford might have been better off not getting to the 2008 final and he admits it was "difficult" to prepare for the game knowing he had no chance of playing.

"To know that you weren't going to be picked no matter what happened is difficult".

Flynn said the appointment of Davy Fitzgerald as manager went ahead without any influence from the players.

Flynn also believes Waterford blew arguably their best chance to win an All-Ireland title in 2007 when they lost the semi-final to Limerick and criticised the substitution of John Mullane.

"I knew any chance of me influencing the game was gone, but taking off John as well was probably a bad idea," he said.

He considered retirement after that game, but felt Waterford were the second best team in the game at that time and it influenced his thinking

Former Waterford hurler Paul Flynn has acknowledged Waterford lost respect because of their actions just before the start and in the early stages of the 2008 All-Ireland hurling final against Kilkenny.

makes his comments in the latest 'Laochra Gael' programme which will be broadcast on TG4 tomorrow night.

Flynn, who came on as a sub, reflected on attempts by Waterford players to intimidate Kilkenny which clearly backfired. "I think we lost a bit of respect. There's no question that the first five minutes of that All-Ireland don't figure as one of our finest achievements."

Flynn also raised questions about the preparations for that game – a series of team-building activities they engaged in – a stark contrast from what Kilkenny were doing.

"The hurling aspect of the All-Ireland final was gone," he recalled. "We were climbing, canoeing, jumping off the pier in Carlingford. Meanwhile, Kilkenny were playing six 50-minute matches of hard hurling."

Flynn wonders if Waterford might have been better off not getting to the 2008 final and he admits it was "difficult" to prepare for the game knowing he had no chance of playing.

"To know that you weren't going to be picked no matter what happened is difficult".

Flynn said the appointment of Davy Fitzgerald as manager went ahead without any influence from the players.

Flynn also believes Waterford blew arguably their best chance to win an All-Ireland title in 2007 when they lost the semi-final to Limerick and criticised the substitution of John Mullane.

"I knew any chance of me influencing the game was gone, but taking off John as well was probably a bad idea," he said.

He considered retirement after that game, but felt Waterford were the second best team in the game at that time and it influenced his thinking
    Looking forward to this

dzilla wrote: »
    Your a subtle troll.

I was only offering an opinion about these records.I think if the tribesmen are ever good enough to beat Waterford then they will beat them however they have failed dismally to do that in championship hurling.I think for the vast majority of the meetings Galway just weren't good enough to beat Waterford.I don't think it has anything to do with hoodoos or voodoo dolls.You can call me what you want but i don't have to prove how much i like Waterford to anyone.If i caused offense i apologise and i wish Waterford GAA all the best against the other 30 counties outside of Cork.

@Paddy you missed my point about the 2010 all ireland final.What have us Cork football fans got to boast about?2 all irelands in 20 years for a county of our size.I was just making the point that Downs record of never losing an all ireland final had nothing to do with hoodoos.They met a team that were good enough to beat them and they lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Whats the story with Connors lads will he be back the weekend? Maurice should be in decent form now on sunday. Any other injuries at all?

@Paddy you missed my point about the 2010 all ireland final.What have us Cork football fans got to boast about?2 all irelands in 20 years for a county of our size.I was just making the point that Downs record of never losing an all ireland final had nothing to do with hoodoos.They met a team that were good enough to beat them and they lost.

I didnt miss your point i just think you dont have one. you were basically saying that everyone had Cork written off because down had never beaten in an all-ireland. and cork overcame all the odds and all the begrudgers to claim glory.... that wasn't the story at all. It was a known fact that Down had never lost an All Ireland Final it was always going to be mentioned as it was quiet a record they had been in 4 or 5 all the same. Of course no clear thinking sportsman will think it was ever going to have any bearing and I dont know of anyone who gave them much of a chance of beating ye.

I just think it was a poor example to use thats all

O Riain wrote: »
    Whats the story with Connors lads will he be back the weekend? Maurice should be in decent form now on sunday. Any other injuries at all?

I would be very surprised to see Connors back. Shane Walsh is unlikely to start either, not sure whether he'll feature. Hopefully Darragh Fives is given a start on Sunday.

I didnt miss your point i just think you dont have one. you were basically saying that everyone had Cork written off because down had never beaten in an all-ireland. and cork overcame all the odds and all the begrudgers to claim glory.... that wasn't the story at all. It was a known fact that Down had never lost an All Ireland Final it was always going to be mentioned as it was quiet a record they had been in 4 or 5 all the same. Of course no clear thinking sportsman will think it was ever going to have any bearing and I dont know of anyone who gave them much of a chance of beating ye.

I just think it was a poor example to use thats all

Right so well let's look at it this way.Galway were a joke when they were in the munster championship everyone used to beat them for fun.In 1998 ye were by far the better team,in 06 ye were the better team and ye were the better team in 2009 and 2011.I know Galway were winning with a few minutes to go in the 09 clash but it's all about who's ahead at the final whistle and that was Waterford yet again.If Galway are good enough to beat Waterford then they will beat them.I felt that they were good enough last year but we'll never know the answer to that.I don't think there's magic powers at force here it's just a case that Galway just haven't been good enough in any of those matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

I was only offering an opinion about these records.I think if the tribesmen are ever good enough to beat Waterford then they will beat them however they have failed dismally to do that in championship hurling.I think for the vast majority of the meetings Galway just weren't good enough to beat Waterford.I don't think it has anything to do with hoodoos or voodoo dolls.You can call me what you want but i don't have to prove how much i like Waterford to anyone.If i caused offense i apologise and i wish Waterford GAA all the best against the other 30 counties outside of Cork.

Stick your opinion

dzilla wrote: »
    Stick your opinion

Same to you it's not as if i have a case to answer to you anyway.You can either agree with a point or debate a point or you can get stuffed.Either option is okay with me.

Sidenote Isn't it funny that i am being personally abused by a man who accused me of being a troll.I suppose the irony is lost on such people.I never once made a personal remark about any poster so i guess your the troll after all.

• Advertisement

Im thinking that Waterford could be a good bet to win the league.It would be some achievement if Michael Ryan land's a league title considering the unnecessary pressure the man's been put under which has been unwarranted imo.If you look at last year Waterford conceded a few soft goals in the munster final and missed a few chances.The Cork match could have went either way just like most of the recent Cork v Waterford championship matches.Cork just got a surge of momentum at the end and seemed to be a bit more fitter and pacier as well and JBM possibly had a stronger subs bench.It wasn't Michael Ryans fault that Shane Walsh went off injured or that Eoin McGrath didn't catch that ball near the end.If Eoin caught that ball,scored a goal and if Waterford went on to beat Galway the following week Michael would have been hailed as the second coming of Jesus!It's a fine margin between being seen as a hero by people or the most useless bstard that ever lived.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement