Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

IanVW wrote: »
    I though Eddie Barrett might get a run out in some of the matches tbh thought he hurled well midfield with de la salle and showed well!

I thought he went traveling around south east asia or somewhere. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭IanVW

alllcounty wrote: »

I thought he went traveling around south east asia or somewhere. Could be wrong though.

No hes back and training alright was on the bench against kilkenny in place of Darragh Fives

O I see, he might get a chance yet. Did very well for DLS last year.

alllcounty wrote: »
    O I see, he might get a chance yet. Did very well for DLS last year.

Yeah i thought that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Yeah i thought that too!

Considering that we aren't burdened with midfielders, I think Barrett is definitely worth a look as well. He's pretty raw yet, but he made a big contribution to DLS winning the title in 2012, and has a good engine.

Twomey was chipping over a lot of scores from midfield last season as well, but he hasn't taken his chances yet. He wouldn't be as hard working as Barrett, but has more hurling in him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Waterford should have beaten kilkenny sunday.They didnt score for 15 mins in the second half which allowed kilkenny get a grip on the game. The short puck outs with the wind didnt really benefit waterford as much as some long clearences might have, they cost a point at one stage.

Some strange decisions by the referee james mcgrath, kilkenny always seem to get the 50 50 decisions, and did again on sunday. Delaney fouled walsh it was quite obvious yet play was simply waved on in the first half. Waterford should have had at least 5 frees that werent given yet kilkenny got a lot of dubious ones and a kilkenny player, awlward i think, taking about 8 or even 9 steps with the ball for the kilkenny goal in the first half but the referee didnt seem to mind yet he pulled up players for this overcarring afterwards but didnt do anything about the goal which kept kilkenny in the game at that stage.

The most bizarre decision that once again went kilkennys way was the blatantly obvious strike across a waterford players arm, by a kilkenny player, catching him full force near the elbow. Cant remember the players involved. Mcgrath only produced a yellow card yet 24 hours before a kilcormac-kil. player was sent off against st. thomas in the all ireland club final with a straight red produced for an almost identical strike. Even the commentators on TG4 were commentating on the differant colour cards for the same strike on the hurling field.

You can argue all day if a striking offence like that is a yellow card or red.The rule book says red but the thing is that there seems to be no consensus among referees about the rules!
    The standard of referees needs to be raised across the country both club and intercounty, if the game isnt going to decend to whims and what referees prefer certain teams which often seems to be the case to the average hurling fan. More in depth training is needed for referees.The whats a free and whats a yellow card and whats a red card needs to be clearly defined as its a cod at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I think its difficult to argue that we should have won to be honest. I think Waterford played very well in the first half, and our backs are excellent, but Kilkenny as well as scoring two goals could easily have scored two more. We didn't get a sniff of a goal chance which as another poster noted is worrying.

Agree that criticism of O'Keeffe is a bit harsh. He is young and will make mistakes but think we need to stick with him now.Am happy that O'Halloran is looking like the real deal - but is very light. Is there anyway to build him up without sacrificing that speed of his??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

i was very impressed with O'Halloran the last day, he has some pace.. and yes i agree who ever struck him with the hurl should of getting a straight red.. ( not sure what kk player it was )

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭parish girl

All Ireland Colleges Semi final refixed for Tuesday at 2 in Carriganore. Postponed from tomorrow due to pitch conditions in Carrignore.

SH v Tipp. Regan, Fives, Lawlor, Daniels, Nagle, Brick, Moran, S O’Sull, P.Pender, Halloran, S Pender, Shan, Dillon, S Walsh, Barron

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Regan, Fives, Lawlor, Daniels, Nagle, Brick, Moran, S O’Sull, P.Pender, Halloran, S Pender, Shan, Dillon, S Walsh, Barron

Iggy in goal, I guess he deserves a chance. Kind of disappointed though that the management have dropped SOK. Paudie Prender keeps his place, let's hope he can perform again though he might have to contend with Brendan Maher so no easy task.

First start for Jamie Barron, and I see Maurice Shanahan is to my surprise back in the starting line up. Didn't think they'd start him having only given him 15 minutes the other day. I guess Mahony, O'Keeffe and Brian Sully are being sent a message. But they're good options all the same, and hopefully Darragh Fives will be able to make some sort of cameo appearance.

Accidentally posted this in the Electric Picnic forum first :o

1.Stephen Enright Ballinacourty
    2.Conor Phelan Brickey Rangers
    3.Stephen Prendergast Kilrossanty
    4.Maurice O’Gorman Nire
    5.Tony Grey Stradbally
    6.Brian Wall Nire
    7.John Hurney Ballinacourty
    8.Shane Aherne Stradbally
    9.Tommy Prendergast Kilrossanty
    10.Liam Ó Lonáin An Rinn
    11.Sean O Hare Ballinacourty
    12.Patrick Hurney Ballinacourty
    13.Darren Guiry Nire
    14.Robert Aherne Stradbally
    15.Gary Hurney Ballinacourty

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Regan, Fives, Lawlor, Daniels, Nagle, Brick, Moran, S O’Sull, P.Pender, Halloran, S Pender, Shan, Dillon, S Walsh, Barron

Iggy in goal, I guess he deserves a chance. Kind of disappointed though that the management have dropped SOK. Paudie Prender keeps his place, let's hope he can perform again though he might have to contend with Brendan Maher so no easy task.

First start for Jamie Barron, and I see Maurice Shanahan is to my surprise back in the starting line up. Didn't think they'd start him having only given him 15 minutes the other day. I guess Mahony, O'Keeffe and Brian Sully are being sent a message. But they're good options all the same, and hopefully Darragh Fives will be able to make some sort of cameo appearance.

Accidentally posted this in the Electric Picnic forum first :o
    Happy enough with that team. Looking forward to seeing what Barron can do over 70 minutes

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Happy enough with that team. Looking forward to seeing what Barron can do over 70 minutes

Well if he's kept on for the whole 70 you know he'll have done something right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

SH v Tipp. Regan, Fives, Lawlor, Daniels, Nagle, Brick, Moran, S O’Sull, P.Pender, Halloran, S Pender, Shan, Dillon, S Walsh, Barron

Happy enough with that. Iggy definetly entitled to a run out in goals. I think SOK will be championship keeper anyway unless Iggy does something really special, but worth giving him game time especially given how shaky SOK has been.

Be interesting to see how Barron gets on from the start. Hasnt had much of an impact being introduced into games but maybe this might lift his confidence. Very interesting if Shane Fives keeps up his level of performance at corner back youd be wondering whose going to make way for Connors when he comes back.

Wolnder how does manfromcheese feel about Paudie Prender keeping his place. I mean a player who didnt make his Fitzgibbon team... scandalous:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Would be very happy with that team. While I don't subscribe to any of the criticism of Mahony and SOK being levelled here, I don't think it will do any harm for those players and BOS to be dropped. Management sending out a good signal that nobody is guaranteed their place.

Would be good if Dillon took the close in frees as he's fairly accurate. Who will take the 65's in Mahony's absence. I'd say shanahan will but he can be hit and miss also. Good to see changes to the team being made as it adds a healty competition for starting positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

This Waterford team is the worst team in 15 years in my opinion. I was in Walsh park against Cork and had to have a snigger to myself when a few got excited at the thought of Maurice Shanahan coming on.

Brian O Halloran been rated doesnt say much as I have heard people close to his own club not rate him. The team dont have a solid goalkeeper. Lawlor was just an average player back at schools would be hugely unlikely if he had declared for Tipp he would ever have got much of a look in.

Jamie Nagle again I so often hear his own county men saying how littel they rate him I dont really have an opinion but he has never stood out for me while watching Waterford play.

I suppose considering how weak this team is this is a fantastic league campaign. I would expect an early exit in the summer tho.

I expect Tipp to win easily on Sunday and id expect relegation for Waterford which is a shame considering there performances.

This Waterford team is the worst team in 15 years in my opinion. I was in Walsh park against Cork and had to have a snigger to myself when a few got excited at the thought of Maurice Shanahan coming on.

Brian O Halloran been rated doesnt say much as I have heard people close to his own club not rate him. The team dont have a solid goalkeeper. Lawlor was just an average player back at schools would be hugely unlikely if he had declared for Tipp he would ever have got much of a look in.

Jamie Nagle again I so often hear his own county men saying how littel they rate him I dont really have an opinion but he has never stood out for me while watching Waterford play.

I suppose considering how weak this team is this is a fantastic league campaign. I would expect an early exit in the summer tho.

I expect Tipp to win easily on Sunday and id expect relegation for Waterford which is a shame considering there performances.

Were you not the one that started the thread titled 'Fraher Field-A disgrace' after the Waterford v Cork game? And yet you said the game in Walsh Park in this post.

I'm afraid I can't take anything you've said seriously after that unfotunately.

Were you not the one that started the thread titled 'Fraher Field-A disgrace' after the Waterford v Cork game? And yet you said the game in Walsh Park in this post.

I'm afraid I can't take anything you've said seriously after that unfotunately.

Ive Walsh park in my head as i just text one of the lads to see the exact message "you heading to walsh pk Sunday".

I think its pretty obvious I know the difference and to say you will ignore everything after that on the basis that I dont know the difference between Walsh pk and Fraher field does not really instil confidence in your intelligence. It is a stick your head in the sand kind of comment :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ive Walsh park in my head as i just text one of the lads to see the exact message "you heading to walsh pk Sunday".

I think its pretty obvious I know the difference and to say you will ignore everything after that on the basis that I dont know the difference between Walsh pk and Fraher field does not really instil confidence in your intelligence. It is a stick your head in the sand kind of comment :rolleyes:

Your points were pretty irrelevant too. You didn't actually offer your own opinion on any of the players if you look back at it really, bar that Jamie Nagle has been average any time you've seen him. You sniggered about Maurice coming on, despite the fact that he made the run that should have led to the winning goal only for a poor finish by Brian Sully.

You brought up Liam Lawlor being an average schools hurler (in your opinion) despite the fact that that couldn't be more irrelevant to how he's playing now and says nothing about what he's like now.

And I'd like to know what club the lads your on about were from, or what their motivation was because Brian O'Halloran has always been highly rated in Waterford and he's justifying it this year on the back of having two awfuly hard years with injury. I was at the u21 final in 2009 and there was Clare boys in front of me talking about O'Halloran and asking was he involved as they played against him underage and rated him highly.

The actual point you make about the team may well be true, time will tell. But as far as arguments go, you didn't even come close to backing it up.

Your points were pretty irrelevant too. You didn't actually offer your own opinion on any of the players if you look back at it really, bar that Jamie Nagle has been average any time you've seen him. You sniggered about Maurice coming on, despite the fact that he made the run that should have led to the winning goal only for a poor finish by Brian Sully.

You brought up Liam Lawlor being an average schools hurler (in your opinion) despite the fact that that couldn't be more irrelevant to how he's playing now and says nothing about what he's like now.

And I'd like to know what club the lads your on about were from, or what their motivation was because Brian O'Halloran has always been highly rated in Waterford and he's justifying it this year on the back of having two awfuly hard years with injury. I was at the u21 final in 2009 and there was Clare boys in front of me talking about O'Halloran and asking was he involved as they played against him underage and rated him highly.

The actual point you make about the team may well be true, time will tell. But as far as arguments go, you didn't even come close to backing it up.

Ya im sure there are more here that have seen them up close and the reason a lot of it is not my opinion is the fact ive not seen enough to judge as well as others on the thread.

What I do have is a good insight from several places within the county about different players. I just seen lads been raved about that are very ordinary and would not get a look in with a team hoping for an AI.

I guess my post is close to trolling and I guess what can ye do with the talent at yere disposal only work as best ye can.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

I pay no attention to people on this site that slate our county team, and our up and coming players, okay we might not be at the heights we were a few years ago. But who's to say we won't get there again lots of good young players coming up the ranks. Not saying they'll all break through to senior level , but if 50% of them do, I'd be happy. And most important I really LOVE when were underdogs we play our best hurling then. As to say we won't go far this year in the championship is a bold statement after three league game in brutal conditions, I personally would prefer to go in the back door... not saying that I wouldn't like anothet MF appearance.or winning it. But I think the back door would suit this team better. That just my own opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dickys Back Garden

Henry Shefflin was just an average player back at schools. You "hear" a lot don't you?

Henry Shefflin was just an average player back at schools. You "hear" a lot don't you?

Liam Lawlor is in his late 20s. Would he make any of the top 3 teams in the country?

Liam Lawlor is in his late 20s. Would he make any of the top 3 teams in the country?

I don't think Tipp are making short work of finding a new full back, and Curran is certainly on the way out. He wouldn't make the Kilkenny team. Who's the third best team in the Country? Cork? Galway? We've better defenses than both, fact.

whos to know. but i think your name hits the nail on the head to be honest

robopaddy wrote: »
    whos to know. but i think your name hits the nail on the head to be honest

Another fantastic response. Id have a little respect for some of the above answers as they are very well thought out.

Another fantastic response. Id have a little respect for some of the above answers as they are very well thought out.

i didnt feel any of your posts merited a 'well thought out' response. thought you were just taking the p**s and looking for a reaction bein honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,499 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Obvious troll is obvious really. Gonna be tough to see a win on Sunday though, serious lack of scoring threat from our lads, but fingers crossed, we can still pull it out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement