Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Who stewards these games? Where do they come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

solarith wrote: »
    Who stewards these games? Where do they come from?

I persume they come from the local area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I dont think its right what happened but its hardly crime of the century either. It was an absolutely horrific day with the weather, as bad as you'd imagine to be attending a hurling game, wouldnt blame anyone to stand on the aisles than sit out and get soaked.So some people in in their seats couldnt see and had to stand. Boo hoo really. But of course the exit routes should not be blocked which is the main issue. And of course the stewards should be doing there jobs, but i can see why they may not have bothered with the day that it was. It wasnt like it was croke park with 50000 people in the ground. The guy who started that thread seems to be a bit of a self righteous moaner if you ask me. Its not like he paid any extra for the seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Who remembers seeing photos in all the local papers last year or maybe at the end of 2011 of some of these stewards after getting some certs for doing a course for stewards at games which was run by the Munster Council. I was in Fraher Field on Sunday and the stewarding was a disgrace. I think that the Munster Council should bring these same men and women back and take the certs back. There is one steward at Fraher Field, an auld one, who sits in the plastic seats with her yellow bib on. I have yet to see her do anything at any game i saw her at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Would disagree with anyone criticising the surface at the Fraher Field. Any pitch would have suffered in Sunday's conditions. Very disappointing to hear about the stewarding issues...was on the mound in the rain myself but there certainly appeared to be an awful lot of people standing towards the back of the stand which couldn't have been safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

WumBuster wrote: »
    I dont think its right what happened but its hardly crime of the century either. It was an absolutely horrific day with the weather, as bad as you'd imagine to be attending a hurling game, wouldnt blame anyone to stand on the aisles than sit out and get soaked.So some people in in their seats couldnt see and had to stand. Boo hoo really. But of course the exit routes should not be blocked which is the main issue. And of course the stewards should be doing there jobs, but i can see why they may not have bothered with the day that it was. It wasnt like it was croke park with 50000 people in the ground. The guy who started that thread seems to be a bit of a self righteous moaner if you ask me. Its not like he paid any extra for the seat.

Im on the phone and have had a lack of internet access the last 24 hours.

On your boohoo about standing. I was one of a few there big and bold enough to fight a battle. Is it boohoo to the 10 year old who stands and still sees nothing ir wgat about the individual in front of me there an hour prior to the game who had an intelluctal disability.

Im not atttacking you just making a point. Im in the terrace for all championship games so I have no issue standing. This battle was not fought out of my own discomfort.

Im not sure if it makes any difference but I was from a neutral county as the assumption was im cork based. I was there with my gf from Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Given the amount of rain that fell all day Saturday and Sunday morning I thought Fraher Field was in remarkably good condition last Sunday. I don’t think Walsh Park would have been playable in the same circumstances. Given the conditions I thought it wa a very good game with a lot of good hurling.

On the overall balance of play Waterford should have won by three or four points. Contrary to what the Cork Examiner suggested, Waterford’s first half domination wasn’t due only to having the wind at their backs. They were working harder and winning the contests all over the field, but made poor use of their possession. They hit seven wides in the first half while Cork hit just three in the second. They also created numerous situations where a goal was on but never materialised for a variety of reasons including bad decision-making, poor attempted passes, good defending and plain bad luck. I think if Waterford had managed a goal in the first half the road back for Cork would have been too steep.

The early second half goal gave Cork a great boost and they did show the strong spirit that Jimmy Barry Murphy has instilled in the side. They also threw in their marquee subs including William Egan, Conor Lehane and Luke O’Farrell.

At the same time, Paudie Mahony’s missed close-in free was a shocker, while at the other end Waterford gifted Cork two points. The first was when Kevin Moran (I think) tried to hit a short sideline to a Waterford player who wasn’t expecting it and Conor Lehane nipped in to score. The second was when Stephen O’Keeffe made the crazy decision to pull on a ball which came into the square and sent it straight to a Cork player and we were lucky to get away with a 65 which Pat Horgan pointed.

This was one of two blunders which O’Keeffe made, the other being when he had plenty of time to clear his lines but opted to take the ball out along the end line where he lost possession and was lucky to see the ball going over the end line from a Cork player. This followed his blunder against Clare where his over-the-shoulder attempted handpass across his own goal almost presented Clare with a goal. I would be very worried about this tendency being shown by O’Keeffe to make poor decisions.

Waterford were also a bit unlucky not to score a goal during their late siege of the Cork goal.

Nevertheless, the great heart and fighting spirit shown by Waterford in the last two games has been heartening, as has been their ability to create openings through good passing movements. They also finished both games strongly which is a big change from last year.

I thought Liam Lawlor had an excellent game at full back last Sunday. I equally thought that Jamie Nagle was a weak link at wing back in the second half. He is unable to win ball in tight situations, or to drive out with the ball when he does have it, and he repeatedly gave Cork possession with poorly directed clearances. After a nervy start when he came on, I thought Paudie Prendergast did very well in the second half. Shane Walsh clearly lacked match fitness which cost us a couple of scores.

Jamie Barron was very impressive when he came on. His first touch was excellent and for such a young player he showed maturity in seeking to find fellow players with passes. Maurice Shanahan also looked sharp when he came on. Seamus Prendergast was marvellous while Brick Walsh and Shane O’Sullivan should also be acknowledged for their major contributions.

With Maurice, Shane Walsh and Paudie Mahony back to full fitness, Waterford’s ball-winning capacity and scoring potential up front should be greatly enhanced. If we can get Noel Connors and Dara Fives back to full fitness this will greatly strengthen our defensive options. Things are looking much brighter than we might have hoped at the beginning of the year. By the way, what is the story with Eoin Madigan, of whom I have been expecting great things, and David O’Sullivan? I believe that Richie Foley is out for up to four months with a groin injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Given the amount of rain that fell all day Saturday and Sunday morning I thought Fraher Field was in remarkably good condition last Sunday. I don’t think Walsh Park would have been playable in the same circumstances. Given the conditions I thought it wa a very good game with a lot of good hurling.

On the overall balance of play Waterford should have won by three or four points. Contrary to what the Cork Examiner suggested, Waterford’s first half domination wasn’t due only to having the wind at their backs. They were working harder and winning the contests all over the field, but made poor use of their possession. They hit seven wides in the first half while Cork hit just three in the second. They also created numerous situations where a goal was on but never materialised for a variety of reasons including bad decision-making, poor attempted passes, good defending and plain bad luck. I think if Waterford had managed a goal in the first half the road back for Cork would have been too steep.

The early second half goal gave Cork a great boost and they did show the strong spirit that Jimmy Barry Murphy has instilled in the side. They also threw in their marquee subs including William Egan, Conor Lehane and Luke O’Farrell.

At the same time, Paudie Mahony’s missed close-in free was a shocker, while at the other end Waterford gifted Cork two points. The first was when Kevin Moran (I think) tried to hit a short sideline to a Waterford player who wasn’t expecting it and Conor Lehane nipped in to score. The second was when Stephen O’Keeffe made the crazy decision to pull on a ball which came into the square and sent it straight to a Cork player and we were lucky to get away with a 65 which Pat Horgan pointed.

This was one of two blunders which O’Keeffe made, the other being when he had plenty of time to clear his lines but opted to take the ball out along the end line where he lost possession and was lucky to see the ball going over the end line from a Cork player. This followed his blunder against Clare where his over-the-shoulder attempted handpass across his own goal almost presented Clare with a goal. I would be very worried about this tendency being shown by O’Keeffe to make poor decisions.

Waterford were also a bit unlucky not to score a goal during their late siege of the Cork goal.

Nevertheless, the great heart and fighting spirit shown by Waterford in the last two games has been heartening, as has been their ability to create openings through good passing movements. They also finished both games strongly which is a big change from last year.

I thought Liam Lawlor had an excellent game at full back last Sunday. I equally thought that Jamie Nagle was a weak link at wing back in the second half. He is unable to win ball in tight situations, or to drive out with the ball when he does have it, and he repeatedly gave Cork possession with poorly directed clearances. After a nervy start when he came on, I thought Paudie Prendergast did very well in the second half. Shane Walsh clearly lacked match fitness which cost us a couple of scores.

Jamie Barron was very impressive when he came on. His first touch was excellent and for such a young player he showed maturity in seeking to find fellow players with passes. Maurice Shanahan also looked sharp when he came on. Seamus Prendergast was marvellous while Brick Walsh and Shane O’Sullivan should also be acknowledged for their major contributions.

With Maurice, Shane Walsh and Paudie Mahony back to full fitness, Waterford’s ball-winning capacity and scoring potential up front should be greatly enhanced. If we can get Noel Connors and Dara Fives back to full fitness this will greatly strengthen our defensive options. Things are looking much brighter than we might have hoped at the beginning of the year. By the way, what is the story with Eoin Madigan, of whom I have been expecting great things, and David O’Sullivan? I believe that Richie Foley is out for up to four months with a groin injury.

I believe David O'Sullivan opted not to be on the panel due to work commitments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Everytime I see Jamie Barron I'm impressed and I'd like to see him get a few starts in the league to bring him on. I think he could be one of those special players that immediately looks like he's been playing senior hurling all his life despite his young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Richie Foley had another hip operation, out for 3 months, article in todays Examiner. Tough one after lats year aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭parish girl

Great game in Fraher Field today. White Cup U15 A Munster semi Final DLS v Middleton. Great game of hurling. Final score DLS 1.10 to 2.15. The game was much closer than the scoreline suggests. DLS were in with a chance against a highly fancied Middleton team (who won Rice Cup last year). Midleton tagged on a few late scores to draw away from DLS.

Could not believe how good the field was after Sundays deluge. I believe the footballers trained there also sunday evening after the hurling game so one can only imagine how bad it was after that. Today it was excellent. Fair dues to the ground staff who must have put in a huge effort to have it ready for our young hurlers today.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

I believe Eoin Madigan removed himself from the panel. I heard it could be due to a back problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/Hurling-Power-Rankings-2013-3.aspx

up a point,still bollocks, this is the message I wrote to eircom on FB

Whata load of nonsense, Waterford have a much better record than Clare, Having beaten Davy Fitz's Clare at every meeting so far, yet they are 2 points ahead,neither on Daily performance nor on past form are Waterford behind Clare ,not to mention Limerick who haven't shown championship form in their current guise yet, but somehow Waterford can be discounted being in the same position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Munster u21 Football

Waterford 0-5 Tipperary 1-8 Half Time score

Not too bad alll thingd considered, Paul Whyte the only scorer with one point from play.

Updates here https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Munster u21 Football

Waterford 0-5 Tipperary 1-8 Half Time score

Not too bad alll thingd considered, Paul Whyte the only scorer with one point from play.

Updates here https://twitter.com/WaterfordGAA

Makes it a bit worse if you ask me, maybe they'd actually have had a chance of progressing should any preparation have been put in

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

FT Waterford 0-9 Tipp 1-17

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/Hurling-Power-Rankings-2013-3.aspx

up a point,still bollocks, this is the message I wrote to eircom on FB

Whata load of nonsense, Waterford have a much better record than Clare, Having beaten Davy Fitz's Clare at every meeting so far, yet they are 2 points ahead,neither on Daily performance nor on past form are Waterford behind Clare ,not to mention Limerick who haven't shown championship form in their current guise yet, but somehow Waterford can be discounted being in the same position

not to mention we won four Munster titles in the last decade. the rest of them are split between cork and tipp.

jive wrote: »
    Makes it a bit worse if you ask me, maybe they'd actually have had a chance of progressing should any preparation have been put in

They would most certainly have had a chance. I said that when I saw the team, it's a shame that the result makes it loook like the players are worse than they are. If I was on that team, having experienced what they've experienced, I would not play football for Waterford again and that will probably be the reality for most of them which is such a shame because there are plenty of talented lads in that team even.

They were only 5 points down with 10 minutes left, the difference in the subs bench probably made a difference. I notice Tipp had a strength and conditioning coach. Both setups were polar opposites from one another. Fairplay to the lads that played, they did well and it's still some improvement on last year though in reality there is no hope for Waterford underage football (and in general) if we're going ot have setups that only the Kilkenny footballers could rival in how much of a farce they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

not to mention we won four Munster titles in the last decade. the rest of them are split between cork and tipp.

The writer seems to use performance over the last 5 years and current form where it suits him, but somehow incombo still underestimates the most consistent team short of KK and tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

It's so sad that there is no effort or interest in Waterford football at underage level from the powers that be and the management teams.How disheartening this must be for young lad's who have ambition but the county board and the team management don't share them.Look at what Tipp did they put the work in and they have now replaced Kerry as our biggest threat at underage level in munster.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

All things considered that's a reasonable scoreline for the U21's. Those young lads deserve so much better though. If I was called up in the way they were Id seriously consider not bothering with it.Why should they care when no else does? In those circumstances an 11 point defeat is pretty good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

Does anyone know what became of Ronan Cahill and Ian Galgey from the 09 minor team? Are they still playing

carter10 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what became of Ronan Cahill and Ian Galgey from the 09 minor team? Are they still playing

Yeah they are. Galgey is on and off the the Mount Sion Senior team. Ronan Cahill is probably a better footballer, still plays for Clonea. Think he was captain of the Waterford u21 footballers last year, and he was on the bench for the u21 hurlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

I think S'OKeefe, from what I have seen of him, is not good at coming off his line, I have seen him get away with a few howlers in club games too, comin out collecting a ball, hanging into it too long bad hand pass etc, something he needs to work on, he is a brilliant goalkeeper and shot stopper (see Clare U21 last year), has the potential to be an super goalkeeper, I hope this flaw doesn't haunt him over the coming years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

All things considered that's a reasonable scoreline for the U21's. Those young lads deserve so much better though. If I was called up in the way they were Id seriously consider not bothering with it.Why should they care when no else does? In those circumstances an 11 point defeat is pretty good going.

If any of the lads are reading this - well done. The team did exceptionally well in the circumstances.

I think a line must be drawn in the sand here from where things can move on. I think the clubs need to come together and have a crisis meeting to form some sort of strategic plan from where things can go from here.

The current approach is a total waste of time for all concerned. The county board aren't going to lead anything. Some proactivity is required.

There are a lot of interested people within the county who would be prepared to give their time to something with some purpose or direction. Unfortunately I'm not based in Waterford any more, but other than that I'd consider becoming involved with something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

Yeah they are. Galgey is on and off the the Mount Sion Senior team. Ronan Cahill is probably a better footballer, still plays for Clonea. Think he was captain of the Waterford u21 footballers last year, and he was on the bench for the u21 hurlers.
    Thanks for that Mountainlad, I just happened on an old report on the 09 Munster championship and remembered the impact Galgey had up in Ennis, him and Cahill played well that night.

Thanks for that Mountainlad, I just happened on an old report on the 09 Munster championship and remembered the impact Galgey had up in Ennis, him and Cahill played well that night.

Galgey was one of the most impressive on the team in the munster final too. I'd never discount anyone, he must still only be 22. But at the same rate you can't expect everyone to make it. Even the lads that are on the Senior team, it's likely that one or two won't have prolonged careers. Just the way these things go if you look at other counties that had success at underage.

It's so sad that there is no effort or interest in Waterford football at underage level from the powers that be and the management teams.How disheartening this must be for young lad's who have ambition but the county board and the team management don't share them.Look at what Tipp did they put the work in and they have now replaced Kerry as our biggest threat at underage level in munster.

I think a lot of the blame lies with the coaching committee we have in the county. Serious questions should be asked of some. I honestly dont know how some of them are in the jobs they are. Dont get me wrong, there is some fine men and women on the committee who have to be aplauded for their work, but there is a few at the other end of the ladder as well. Why for example would they allow young players go onto a very dangerous Fraher Field pitch last Sunday and allow them to play for ten plus minutes. One of them was even on the field with them. Would they have taken responsibility if one of the players slipped and got seriously hurt.

Anyway back to the point I want to make. One former officer of the board often confirmed to me that there is money available from Munster Council for Football but that the Coaching committee, (I cant remember what they were called at the time) were not interested in calling it down and when they did most of what they did call upon it it went into hurling and what was looked for football was small. He often told me it disgusted him knowing what money was available to get minor teams ready but was looked for.

Someone told me that when Niall Carew took over the Waterford footballers, Ian Galgey was called up to be part of the panel, but for some reason pulled out. Someone said he was not able for the committment. Why ever he pulled out its a shame as I have seen him play for Mount Sion a few times and is a quite a good footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Anybody know if the starting XV for Nowlan Park V Kilkenny is being named tomorrow? There are a few injury worries by all accounts. D Fives, Daniels.

On the plus side Maurice can be considered again. Have a feeling he'll be kept in reserve again though.

Probable - SOK, Shane Fives, Lawlor, Daniels, Nagle, Brick, Moran, Shane O'Sulllivan, Daragh Fives/Pauidi Pender O'Halloran, Seamus, Jake Dillon, Mahony, Walsh, Brian O'Sullivan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement