Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Cork coming back strong, 0-11 to 1-5 now. All momentum Cork atm

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

wake up !!!!!!

they seem to have fallen asleep

Can't see how we'll win this, feeding off scraps and Cork in control with the breeze. 1-9 to 0-13 with 15mins left

Maurice on for O'Halloran who got injured, Mahony poor free wide. All even now but you have to think Cork smell blood

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

jesus whats gone wrong for us

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Draw again, shud see it out now couldn't be long left

0-15 to 1-12 good point in the end subs done very well

• Advertisement

1-12 to 0-15 FT, cant complain tbh looked like we threw i away.Down by 2 going into injury time, it was a good result in that respect. Nash made a great late few saves that we should have buried though. Second half performance not great despite against the breeze and poor conditions.

Valuable point gained but up by 8 at HT, we would have had expected to hang on. We'd still need another win to be safe I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Cake Man wrote: »
    1-12 to 0-15 FT, cant complain tbh looked like we threw i away. Nash made a great late save or two that we should have buried though. Second half performance not great despite against the breeze and poor conditions.

Valuable point gained but up by 8 at HT, we would have had expected to hang on. We'd still need another win to be safe I think.

We probably do but if we get one we'll be in the semis I'd say.

How many wides did we have from fress, was it just the one in the second half? We really can't afford those, but then you'd have to allow for the conditions on a day like to day in fairness to mahony.

Sounds like we really should have scored a goal at the end though, but overall a good result.

Also worth noting, we're second in the table this evening, level on points with Cork as Clare beat Galway. Kilkenny are last, and we play them next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Up there with the worst conditions I've ever seen at a game and all credit to both teams who, despite the conditions, put on a really gripping spectacle. Draw a fair result over 70 mins I thought. We were very wasteful in first half and Cork really came at us in the second half but we battled brilliantly in last 15 minutes to secure a point. Lot of positives to take from this game, subs made a great impact. Seamus Prendergast was superb today, he has a new lease of life since Ryan came in. Great to see such a big crowd too depsite the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Just heard that the U-21 football team wont train this year and will be picked on player form over the last few years. This is an absolute disgrace and embarrassment, Players were only contacted this week and asked about their availability for championship in 3 weeks time.

As far as I know there were trials today in Dungarvan and basically if you wanted to turn up you could. Think they're playing Tipp in Thurles this Wednesday or next Wednesday. They're going to get hammered, it's a waste of time even sending a team when they haven't even trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

doz wrote: »
    Up there with the worst conditions I've ever seen at a game and all credit to both teams who, despite the conditions, put on a really gripping spectacle. Draw a fair result over 70 mins I thought. We were very wasteful in first half and Cork really came at us in the second half but we battled brilliantly in last 15 minutes to secure a point. Lot of positives to take from this game, subs made a great impact. Seamus Prendergast was superb today, he has a new lease of life since Ryan came in. Great to see such a big crowd too depsite the weather.

Whatever about the result, the way the players went about the game today was very heartening. To go two points down towards the end in those conditions, against that wind and to come back to draw was fantastic. Yes, we could have had the goal at the end, but it wasn't to be.

With cork scoring the goal so early in the second half it was always going to be backs to the wall stuff.

The conditions were so bad that one player was coming over to the sideline to try warm up his hands, he was completely numb. Could not feel a thing.

There were a couple of missed frees and a couple of other mistakes that led to cork points but I wouldn't dwell on them.

Cork had a point given that I'm fairly sure was wide. Liam lawlor was blown up twice later on ye second half very harshly I thought. I'd be interested to see replays.

I thought Shane Fives was excellent. Also very impressed with Shane o'Sullivan, Seamus and Jake Dillon. Jamie Barron caused a lot of trouble when he came in and it was great to see Maurice come on and almost snatch the win.

Hopefully Darragh Fives is ok. He didn't really seem to pull up so let's hope it was just precautionary.

Very happy with team selection and happy with the changes that were made. I'll be looking closely at Paidi Mahoney on the frees next day. Two games now with a couple misses, granted today was horrific for free takers. Noel Connors back, Darragh Fives fully fit as well as Maurice and Shane Walsh back up to speed and hopefully we keep momentum up and get another result over the next couple games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Draw fair result. Both sides performed very well considering the conditions and time of the year. O'Halloran is a lovely hurler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

cant help but feel today was a missed opportunity as far as the league is concerned. points are going to be hard to come by from by from here on. it dosent get any easier going up to kk next week whol be hurting after 2 defeats. it was great to get the draw morale wise but with this current league system you need to be able to close out the game when your well on top. sorry for the negativity but i realisically we cant expect to get much off kk galway or tipp

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

robopaddy wrote: »
    cant help but feel today was a missed opportunity as far as the league is concerned. points are going to be hard to come by from by from here on. it dosent get any easier going up to kk next week whol be hurting after 2 defeats. it was great to get the draw morale wise but with this current league system you need to be able to close out the game when your well on top. sorry for the negativity but i realisically we cant expect to get much off kk galway or tipp

Galway are often pretty accommodating to us in our times of need! I wouldnt dare make predictions yet, theres still a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Too bad conditions to read anything into it other than it was a decent effort from both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Pure tripe of an article. Easy know he is a Tipp man living and hurling in Dublin. Limerick, Dublin and Clare ranked above Waterford! Nonsense is right.

Ha ha, grading teams for a cup competition.. is there any more pointless exercise, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Ha ha, grading teams for a cup competition.. is there any more pointless exercise, lol

What was more laughable was that while peoplee can have different opinions, from that lst you woulndt have predicted on league result so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Every time I hear Michael Ryan talk, it makes me giggle.

aramush wrote: »

I know, Michael Ryan is as GAA as a hang' sandwich. May the GAA never sanitise all the hokey.. :)

What was more laughable was that while peoplee can have different opinions, from that lst you woulndt have predicted on league result so far

Know what you mean, am more than mildly surprised at our joint-top position with Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

aramush wrote: »

Me too. "Round the rugged rock, the ragged rascal ran. "

Fair play to him though, he looks to be doing well with them this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Me too. "Round the rugged rock, the ragged rascal ran. "

Fair play to him though, he looks to be doing well with them this year

Yea he seems to have got his team going well so far this season, hopefully they can keep it going (until Gaillimh play them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Im disappointed that we didn't secure the win from a winning position.On the other hand it was a horrible windy day and that pitch in Dungarvan is very tight.We only scored two points in the first half so we did well to come back into it.Great goal by Stephen Moylan this fella is impressing me more and more with every outing he works his socks off for the cause and he's a very skillful hurler as well.Anthony Nash made two great saves at the end although with regards to that last save the Waterford lad went for goal when he should have taken his point.All in all im happy enough that we came out of Dungravan with a point and im reasonably happy with the direction the team is heading in.Hopefully we can get 5 points from the Clare Galway and Kilkenny games anyway.I also thought our subs had a better impact on the game but i think the draw was a fair result.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Very sad news to hear Tony Mansfield has passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

that is the biggest pile of dung iv ever seen, tipp ranked third and cork ranked fourth

with limerick clare and dubs ranked higher than us

I think Cork ranked fourth is a fair rating.Limerick and Clare ranked ahead of Waterford is ridiculous all right.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Symapthy to the family of Dungarvan Observer GAA reporter Tony Mansfield who died this evening in Cork after an illness.

Tony was one of natures gentlemen. He loved the GAA and will be missed by all who knew him. He was manager of the under 21 team that won the All-Ireland 21 years ago now and was the last Waterford man to manage Waterford before Michael Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

RIP Tony Mansfield. A true servant to Waterford G.A.A over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

First of all, great battling performance by both teams today. Plenty of positives for Ml Ryan, Shane fives looks to be making the corner back position his own, O'Hallorans impact has been priceless, still all to play for, tough game away to the cats next week, but with all teams taking points off each other, the semi finals are a realistic target for Waterford. Tipp and Galway won't relish trips to Walsh Park so definitely points on offer there. 3 points from 4 leaves me satisfied as a Deise supporter. One more win should see us qualified, can't see Clare getting anything in Cork. Galway V Tipp next week is a hard one to call.

NB - RIP Tony Mansfield. A man who served the Deise in many capacities, he'll be sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Tip of the hat to Michael Ryan and the boys. Another battling display and another good result to silence the doubters. Terrible conditions for a match.

Stephen o keefe was a solid presence in goals aside from one hairy pull of the ball into danger and an errant short puckouct.
    Shane fives is a player i always felt was hard done by and showed again today why. You know what you get with Lawlor, the usual gutsy display with a liitle cynical streak you need for a fullback. Daniels had his work cut out with Horgan but held him to a point.

Brick and Moran were solid and Moran was one of the driving forces in the dying minutes that ensured the point. Watched Nagle in particular today and thought he looked gasssed in the second half, was beaten to a lot of ball. Dont think be starting come championship.

Dont think D Fives should have been starting. Looked injured from the start. Young Prendergast didnt look quite ready for this level yet but he is young and will learn. His introduction ahead of Twomey doesnt auger well for the DLS man. Sully was good. Real shame Molumphy is gone for the year, a day like yesterday was made for him

The real positive for me is the forwards are playing more cohesively as a unit and players are more inclined to shoot themselves instead of taking the easy option and passing to Mullane last year. Granted there wad a few wides that looked like points gone abegging yesterday but to be fair the wind was atrocious too. O'Halloran now that he has recoverd from those horrific injuries is really delivering on his minor potential, looked really good again. Seamus is thriving this year,was fantastic and looks the real leader up front. Dillon put in a hard shift, think he should be on frees. Brian O'Sullivan can score but tooj the wrong option once too often and is lightweight for this level. Shane Walsh needs to back himself more to score instead of offloading it the whole time. Mahony covered serious ground yesterday and has really filled out physically.

Barron and Maurice both had a very positive impact when they came on.

Overall still plenty improvement needed but feeling a lot more confident than a month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Anybody know if the Waterford V Kilkenny game is live on TG4 next week? I see it's down to be broadcast next Monday but wasnt sure if it's the live game at 2 or the deferred game at 4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

First off, RIP Tony Mansfield.

Second piece of business - complete disaster for the footballers in London. Can anyone shed any light on where they went wrong? They're definitely not out of the running - every team have lost twice except Limerick who have a 100% record and London who have lost three, but now they can't afford any more slip ups. A couple of years ago they blew promotion in London, and it was largely due to the professionalism around Kiely's management at the time - what happened this time.

Lastly - not a bad result for the hurlers. Cork and Clare would have been the two games in which you were targeting a win before the league started, but Cork are obviously in good form at the moment and they showed that against Tipp.

I'm delighted for Seamus Prendergast. I think we should be trying to develop players like Madigan and Halloran into centre forwards, and perhaps we'd get another couple of years out of Prender at full forward as a result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement