Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

alllcounty wrote: »

What do ye make of Pauric Mahony's jab lift style of free taking. I have to say I never have been a fan of that type of free taking. There are too many movements in the process and possibilities of the ball not being positioned properly in the air to strike it. First of all you have to put the hurley on top of the sliotar when its on the ground, then roll it on to the hurley, then try and balance it and then wack it. Way too awkward looking. I dont know any free taker in another county that has that technique. The best style is getting the hurley under the sliotar when its on the ground, rise it, take a step forward, lean in and follow through. This is the way Shefflin, R Power, Canning, E Kelly tip etc do it. Jake Dillon also does it that way which is why I think it would be better if Dillon take all the frees within the 65 and also the 65's from now on.
    personally once it goes over fhe bar i coudnt give a monkeys wat way it comes up

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Not the best of starts in the football. 0-1 to 0-3 down after about 20 mins

KevIRL wrote: »
    Not the best of starts in the football. 0-1 to 0-3 down after about 20 mins

Half time, Waterford 0-2 Limerick 0-4. Waterford with a bunch of wides I believe

Waterford 0-4 Limerick 0-5 after 50 mins. If there is a goal it will most likely decide this one

0-8 to 0-6 down with 5 mins to go

edit Full time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Nice one cleaboy boy (boy). Do you happen to have the Waterford starting team?

Don't have starting xv sorry! Will post if I get the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clarenman

thought Ucc deserved win,I thought Barry kelly had a shocker......constantly blowing it up for either something small or nothing at all,he never let game flow,it was a clean good game,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Did Jake Dillon not seem a bit underpowered for the long shots the last day?

I thought it was an absolute exhibition in free taking from Dillon. He kept them low and hard. The lower the shot, with that extra power, the straighter it will be partly because the wind is taken out of the equation. Don't think he missed any.

Paudi Mahony was poor on frees last weekend. He was brilliant in 2011 though. There is no guarantee that Jake Dillon will make the starting 15 either, even though he was very good last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

0-8 to 0-6 down with 5 mins to go

edit Full time.
    Poor match. Lots of wasted chances by both teams. Waterford had no real ideas up front, some shocking shooting pretty much decided it. With that said, there was one of the most obvious foot-blocks I've ever seen in injury time and was a definite penalty but the ref bottled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

A narrow defeat to a Limerick team that are favourites for promotion so it's not the end of the world.I think the team are capable of winning their remaining games.I'd say Gary Hurney will be back in the team the next day though.

btw Do ye mind if i bring up two blasts from the past?They didn't have lengthy intercounty careers but they made their mark in other ways!That Ray lay lay Barry fella was a gas man.I hear that he used to perform circus tricks in the goal!His party piece was when he would race out of the goal with the ball flick it over the defenders head catch it and then clear it down the field.:pac: Another great character who made up his own legend as he went along was our own Seanie Farrell.There was this time when Frank Murphy was just boring the team to death in the dressing room with a pointless speech and Seanie was standing behind him making faces and laughing his head off.The more high and mighty and pretensious Frank spoke the crazier the faces Seanie pulled and the more and more psychotic the laughing got!The whole team spent the whole talk looking into their gear bags trying to hold in the laughter.:pac: Of course im sure Waterford fans would know Seanie well from the 1998 league final!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

A narrow defeat to a Limerick team that are favourites for promotion so it's not the end of the world.I think the team are capable of winning their remaining games.I'd say Gary Hurney will be back in the team the next day though.

btw Do ye mind if i bring up two blasts from the past?They didn't have lengthy intercounty careers but they made their mark in other ways!That Ray lay lay Barry fella was a gas man.I hear that he used to perform circus tricks in the goal!His party piece was when he would race out of the goal with the ball flick it over the defenders head catch it and then clear it down the field.:pac: Another great character who made up his own legend as he went along was our own Seanie Farrell.There was this time when Frank Murphy was just boring the team to death in the dressing room with a pointless speech and Seanie was standing behind him making faces and laughing his head off.The more high and mighty and pretensious Frank spoke the crazier the faces Seanie pulled and the more and more psychotic the laughing got!The whole team spent the whole talk looking into their gear bags trying to hold in the laughter.:pac: Of course im sure Waterford fans would know Seanie well from the 1998 league final!

http://www.rebelgaa.com/forum/

Well Lay Lay Barry is still relevant to the discussion.I think Justin gave him one final chance but he didn't take it.

Is Sundays game v Cork in Walsh Park of Fraher Field?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

It's on in Fraher Field

kensutz wrote: »
    It's on in Fraher Field

Thanks Ken, I feared it might be an away fixture alright :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Thanks Ken, I feared it might be an away fixture alright :pac:

The "home" one is against Tipp with a double header with the footballers playing Offaly beforehand on the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

solarith wrote: »
    Poor match. Lots of wasted chances by both teams. Waterford had no real ideas up front, some shocking shooting pretty much decided it. With that said, there was one of the most obvious foot-blocks I've ever seen in injury time and was a definite penalty but the ref bottled it.

Seems as though the decision not to start Gary Hurney backfired. I could only tune in to the radio, but it sounded like we had a lot of possession.

Despite the loss, we're still in a very strong position. We've London at home, Leitrim away, Offaly at home before the last game at Carlow.

I think that by the time we play Leitrim and Carlow, both teams could already be out of the running. Offaly have lost two already, and if we can beat them at home, one more loss would put them out as well.

I think it'll be us and Clare both fighting for 2nd place the way it's looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Post Primary

Looks like we are heading to Carlow next saturday for Post Primary Schools All Ireland Semi Finals Double header. St Augustines in SFC semi v winners of Lucan v Ardee. CBS Dungarvan in SHB semi v Laois opposition. Good day out for Waterford Colleges Supporters

kensutz wrote: »
    The "home" one is against Tipp with a double header with the footballers playing Offaly beforehand on the 24th.

So they finally decided to have some sense and have a double header, but they've put it on in bog park? Shame.

Although might get a few more from the City into the football and ultimately they could have a bigger crowd there.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Seems as though the decision not to start Gary Hurney backfired. I could only tune in to the radio, but it sounded like we had a lot of possession.

Despite the loss, we're still in a very strong position. We've London at home, Leitrim away, Offaly at home before the last game at Carlow.

I think that by the time we play Leitrim and Carlow, both teams could already be out of the running. Offaly have lost two already, and if we can beat them at home, one more loss would put them out as well.

i think the management had to keep faith with the team that won the first 2 games. he was always going to be sprung on anyway, he ended he coming in after about 20 mins anyway so I dont think anything 'backfired'. I think saturday was a bit of a reality check following the highs of winning the first 2 games. it was way too early to be talking about promotion anyway there is no easy games every team is well capable of beating each other. I think its London next at home thats very winnable but the last 3 games will be tough. I would think youd need to win 3 out of those last 4 games to get guarantee a league final. thats going to be tough but we need to just take it one game at a time

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »

He was on after 15 minutes so it wasn't that relevant to be honest, the shooting that went wide were mostly scorable and had nothing to do with Hurney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I also felt that management made the correct decision in not starting him, but at the end of the day, he's our standout player. Did he not come on after 21 mins? That's more than enough time to kick two points, and given that he kicked 83.3% of Waterford's scores when he came on, you might have fancied him to do so.

Any team who wants to get out of that division needs a dangerous forward, and most of the other good teams have one. Offaly have McNamee, Clare have Tubridy, Limerick have Collins and Ryan, Leitrim have Mulligan, Tipp have Grogan. Without Hurney, Waterford lack that sort of threat. While they did brilliantly to win the two games without him, the lads probably overachieved in his absence, and you can't do that every week.

I didn't want to get drawn down an overly negative path, as they've done really well in the first 3 games, and are still an excellent candidate for promotion.

From seeing them over the last few years, it's totally unfair to say they underachieved without him. Do remember when promoted a few years ago Hurney was playing hurling and didn't return until the 2nd last game in the league.

solarith wrote: »
    From seeing them over the last few years, it's totally unfair to say they underachieved without him. Do remember when promoted a few years ago Hurney was playing hurling and didn't return until the 2nd last game in the league.

he was running around with a hurl in his hand anyway. to say it was hurling he was playing is stretching it a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I have heard that Paul White played an under 21 club championship match on Friday night and that a few more of the county football panel played under 21 games both on Friday night and Saturday afternoon. I have also heard that the selectors asked the county board to postpone these games but were ignored. Can anyone confirm this?

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I have heard that Paul White played an under 21 club championship match on Friday night and that a few more of the county football panel played under 21 games both on Friday night and Saturday afternoon. I have also heard that the selectors asked the county board to postpone these games but were ignored. Can anyone confirm this?

Says on the Waterford GAA website that Killrossanty played Thursday night. Who else besides Gavin Nugent would have been playing Saturday night that is u21?

Is there any free scoring forward in the county that should be on the panel?Is there any knocking around the city even?Out of a population of 50 thousand people you'd think there would be a few decent footballers in there!I really admire this Waterford football team.Their a hard working bunch and honest as the day is long but they really lack penetration in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Is there any free scoring forward in the county that should be on the panel?Is there any knocking around the city even?Out of a population of 50 thousand people you'd think there would be a few decent footballers in there!I really admire this Waterford football team.Their a hard working bunch and honest as the day is long but they really lack penetration in the forwards.

Shane Walsh is probably best football forward in the county but don't think we'll see him lining out anytime soon. Other than him I still think this is the best panel we could have. Football these days seems to be more about stopping the other team from scoring than taking your own scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Any team news for Sunday V Cork? Connors injured? Maurice and Shane Walsh available?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement