Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

he has retired..statement released

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

For those who will question the source:

http://gaelicplayers.com/home/822-deise-hero-mullane-calls-time-on-waterford-career
    January 17, 2013

“I wish to announce my retirement from inter-county hurling. After months of deliberation I feel the time is right to bring the curtain down on my inter-county career.

“The sense of genuine pride I got from wearing the Waterford jersey and representing the county I love will live with me forever.

“Throughout those 13 years I was fortunate enough to play with some great players. I would like to thank all the players sincerely for their support and more importantly their friendship.

“I’d like to take this opportunity to extend a big thank you to my coaches, managers, medical and backroom team and all of the friends I have made throughout my career on and off the field.

“Gerald McCarthy, Justin McCarthy, Davy Fitzgerald and Michael Ryan all contributed greatly to my career and I benefitted immensely from all of them.

“My relationship with the Waterford supporters has always been a very special one and I sincerely thank them for their support in both good and bad times.

“I would like to pay tribute to my club De La Salle for providing me with the necessary solid foundations and guidance to allow me to compete at the highest level and I look forward to the new challenges that lie ahead.

“In conclusion I wish to thank my family and my wife Stephanie for their loyalty and support over the years. I look forward to supporting Waterford for the years ahead and would like to wish the current management and team the very best for the coming season.

“Déise Abú”

John Mullane

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

John owes the county nothing, I'm sure there will be a lot of talk and rumours about reasons why over the next few days, but the correct thing right now is to wish him all the best and thank him for the years of service and all the memories.

Best of luck John, the summer wont be the same without you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well lads, big blow for ye. You relied on him a lot over the past few years, and that's not a surprise, as he has probably been the best and most in-form forward over the past few years, particularly from a scoring point-of-view. Of all the players in the country, he, along with Shefflin, was the one I feared most. Even on a bad day, he could pull something magic out of the bag.

An absolutely class player, the Championship won't be the same without him.

Could be a tough year for you, but some of the younger players have to step up at some stage. And without Mullane, the other forwards have to really take on more responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

That is truly depressing news. Without him now we will drop down the hurling pecking order, we won't be winning or even getting to Munster finals for a few more years I'd say.

Shocked that he wouldn't give it one more year, you'd think he'd surely still have the legs and the heart for it, maybe he didn't get offered the captaincy again and decided he'd had enough. Sad day. Fair play to him for everything he has given to Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Devastating blow for the panel, he will be hugely missed. But as had been said, he owes nobody anything and people should respect his decision. A true Deise legend and the way he has developed as a person over the years is a credit to himself and his family.

My favourite Mullane moment was that point at the ends of the 2009 QF against Galway. Was almost killed with the movement in the stand when he put that ball over the bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

That is truly depressing news. Without him now we will drop down the hurling pecking order, we won't be winning or even getting to Munster finals for a few more years I'd say.

Shocked that he wouldn't give it one more year, you'd think he'd surely still have the legs and the heart for it, maybe he didn't get offered the captaincy again and decided he'd had enough. Sad day. Fair play to him for everything he has given to Waterford.

He's still one of the best forwards in the country, if he wasn't getting his game and naturally coming to the end of his career you could understand, but he still has alot to give. The statement released brings up more questions than answers. Appears he was thinking about it for a number of months but now as the panel is preparing for the year the decision became clear. The captaincy proberly had alot to do with it as he said himself about 18 months ago he would like to be captain of the team. Everyone wanted him to get the role but now our best forward is gone from the panel and it puts us in a harder position to get results this year. Having said that it's his decision and he owes us nothing. He's been a great servent to the game for the last 13 years and i wish him all the best for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭seananigans

Would love to see a Testimonial of some sort between the league and c'ship, Legends Vs. current squad .

In the legends have Dan, Kelly, Mullane, Browne, Clinton, Brick ,Flynn, McGrath's Prendergasts, Hartley. would be some game to watch and a great way to send these guys off properly.

Most of these guys when we last saw them play,we did not know that was their last time :-( , I for one would like to send them all off properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

best of luck for the future, John. One of the best hurlers of your generation and to wear the Waterford jersey. Was a privilege to see you play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Would be a great idea for some sort of charity based match. I have to say it was an absolute pleasure to photograph Mullane. From covering GAA to Champions League Finals etc, there's only one player who I've always kept an eye out for and that was Mullane. Thankfully he has won me awards which I'm proud of.

Just finished putting together a tribute piece for Livegaelic.com

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/john-mullane-retires-from-intercounty-hurling-a-tribute/

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Absolutely gutted to hear Mullane retire. Definitely owes Waterford nothing, especially after carrying our main match winning threat on his shoulders for several years, but yet very surprised, given he would seem to have at least another year, and no doubt two, left in him at the highest level if he chose to continue.

All, I can say, is I hope this isn't the end of John in a Waterford shirt, and that he may choose to turn around his decision yet this year.

Looking at the all time scoring charts from play, he would also seem to be bound for greatness were he to continue, but what will be will be.

It definitely leaves Waterford in an interesting place this year. I had not heard of the others mentioned who won't be donning the jersey this year, and all I can hope is that we are not looking at a swift decline and a long period in the doldrums.

This has unfortunately been the first piece of hurling news I've heard in quite a while, and hopefully we shall have some good news to balance the bad.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

alllcounty wrote: »
    He's still one of the best forwards in the country, if he wasn't getting his game and naturally coming to the end of his career you could understand, but he still has alot to give. The statement released brings up more questions than answers. Appears he was thinking about it for a number of months but now as the panel is preparing for the year the decision became clear. The captaincy proberly had alot to do with it as he said himself about 18 months ago he would like to be captain of the team. Everyone wanted him to get the role but now our best forward is gone from the panel and it puts us in a harder position to get results this year. Having said that it's his decision and he owes us nothing. He's been a great servent to the game for the last 13 years and i wish him all the best for the future.

We need to respect his decision and not point the finger at management/captaincy issue etc. Its difficult to accept as you say he was on top of his game when last we saw him play. But remember he only barely came back last year and its obvious the commitment was taking its toll.

Theres no rule thats says you have to wait until your over the hill until you retire and at 31 did Mullane still have a couple years left in him? Of course he did. But think back to Mullanes Waterford debut, Munster semi final against Limerick in 2001 remember the game we lost an 11 point lead (story for another day). That seems like a long time ago, I was a kid then im an adult now and a lot of seasons have come and gone since then and hes well entitled to call it a day.

Unfortunately I think this is the end theres no coming back. Its a calculated decision, not a knee jerk reaction. He will miss it come the summer but no one knows that more than himself. All there is to do now is remember all the good times and wish him all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Absolutely gutted. One of a kind. Irreplaceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

John Mullane was offered the captaincy by the management team but he felt he couldnt give the commitment needed obviously before he made his mind up on this matter,he said that physically he could play for another season but mentally he couldnt.

P.S. IS MOUNTAINLAD OK NO SIGN OF HIM HERE IN 2 DAYS, AND AT A TIME LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

P.S. IS MOUNTAINLAD OK NO SIGN OF HIM HERE IN 2 DAYS, AND AT A TIME LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Awww thank god. It was like a funeral atmosphere in here, this was badly needed. Thank you.

Im sure he'll come on here with a huge spiel about how Michael Ryan and the gang will get us through it.
    Atho seeing as Tommy Ryan was also dropped its gonna be mighty hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

I LOVE ME KOUNTY

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Thanks to John for everything ... But I am absolutely sick hearing this news today. I doubt if he will change his mind but I would love it if he did. What memories he has given us. That point against Galway in the QF we were destined to lose according to all the experts. The 3-4 points from play in EVERY match no matter who else showed up. The passion. The turn of pace. The crowd shouting "SKIN HIM" every time he got the ball in hand. Jumping up on the terrace wire after lashing in a goal and kissing the badge. Points going over from impossible angles. Taking dogs abuse from corner backs for years and (post 04) not reacting besides on the scoreboard.. The interview after the classic 04 Munster final. I love me county. WE LOVE U JOHN. That goal against Cork after the quick free from Flynner and Boom. The only player to show up in the (blesses oneself) 2008 final. How will we ever replace him.... Crap.
    Gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

deise_girl wrote: »
    Atho seeing as Tommy Ryan was also dropped its gonna be mighty hard.

Still finding this harder to deal with than Mullane's retirement tbh... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Isn't he the top scorer ever from play or something? Matured into a fine 3+ points a game forward as the years went on. In an era where there are less and less characters in the game he was always amazing to watch. He owes us nothing. I'll miss his big red sunburnt head roaring at us down in Thurles of a June Sunday.Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

this year will be some shambles. wont win a game in the league. if that pric.k ryan had any decency hed fu.king walk away, he'll put waterford hurling back pre 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

this year will be some shambles. wont win a game in the league. if that pric.k ryan had any decency hed fu.king walk away, he'll put waterford hurling back pre 1998.

That post is a disgrace.Would you say that to Michael Ryans face?He's managing Waterford at a time when the team is in a period of transation and people like you firing pot shots at him are not making his job any easier.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I thought he would give it one more year.He drove us mad at times with his antics but John was a class player and unlike some of his team mates he could perform on the big day.When the whole Waterford team caved in the 08 all ireland final John Mullane took the fight to Kilkenny all on his own.The man was like an explosive stick of dynamite although our own Brian Murphy was capable of defusing it most of the time! :pac: They had great players on that Waterford team like Mullane,Paul Flynn, Dan Shanahan and Tony Browne but sadly they still couldn't win the all ireland.This news is the final confirmation that Waterford like ourselves will be rebuilding for the next few years.Ben O'Connor and Sean Og Retired last year.Were barely into the new year and now John Mullane has retired.Who would have thought last july in Thurles was Sean Ogs, Mullanes and possibly John Gardiner Brian Murphy and Niall McCarthys last hurrah!An era of glorious Cork and Waterford matches is over.I love me county said John Mullane once don't we all!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

That post is a disgrace.Would you say that to Michael Ryans face?He managing Waterford at a time when the team is in a period of transation and people like you firing pot shots at him are not making his job any easier.

of course id say it to his face why wouldnt i?? i have being going to waterford games for 25 years but i havnt went to a game since he got the waterford job, nor will i go as long as hes there and i know several others who are doing the same. hes a bluffer and he hasnt got a clue. he really is no good for waterford hurling and hes the wrong man to handle this transition period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I thought he would give it one more year.He drove us mad at times with his antics but John was a class player and unlike some of his team mates he could perform on the big day.When the whole Waterford team caved in the 08 all ireland final John Mullane took the fight to Kilkenny all on his own.The man was like an explosive stick of dynamite although our own Brian Murphy was capable of defusing it most of the time! :pac: They had great players on that Waterford team like Mullane,Paul Flynn, Dan Shanahan and Tony Browne but sadly they still couldn't win the all ireland.This news is the final confirmation that Waterford like ourselves will be rebuilding for the next few years.Ben O'Connor and Sean Og Retired last year.Were barely into the new year and now John Mullane has retired.Who would have thought last july in Thurles was Sean Ogs, Mullanes and possibly John Gardiner Brian Murphy and Niall McCarthys last hurrah!An era of glorious Cork and Waterford matches is over.I love me county said John Mullane once don't we all!

Agreed. Mullane and Sean Og were the two best players on the pitch that day in the glorious Thurles sunshine i thought. End of an era.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

of course id say it to his face why wouldnt I?.

Riiiight. Sure you would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

The greatest testament to John Mullane for me was his performance on the bad days for the Waterford team. When the chips were down and the stakes were high he always produced, the sign of a great player. I was looking at his scoring statistics, and came across a game I missed in 2005 against Offaly at which he scored 0-8 points, and yet when people talk of Mullane this game is never mentioned because there are some many other examples of his quality that it's not necessary.

In total, he scored 14-120 in 43 games for Waterford (open to correction on that, but I know I'm damn close). A true legend for club and County, I wouldn't rule him coming back out completely though it looks like he is taking a well deserved retirement. I've been going to Championship games since the day he made his debut vs Limerick in 2001, makes it feel like a long time with this news. Wish him the best, and I'm glad I got to see him get the scores and work the crowd so often, made many summer day. He deserved an all-ireland, but he will be remembered all the same as Waterford's greatest forward in my opinion.

As for what this means for Waterford, it's been inevitable that this was coming. If not this year, next year or the year after. We all may feel that he could still produce at a high level for another year, but ultimately for the County's progression the rest of the forwards need to improve and start contributing more to the forward line. There are a few young players that have had sometime to bed in, and some more young players coming into the fold this year. They all will have to lead from the front and can't look to Mullane to do that. I think it's good that that responsibility is on them. The most important thing now is to build a forward unit that work well together and can all take their scores, rather than looking for another player to try and do it mainly on his own.

And by the way, I really can't abide people writing off the year before it's even began. A bit of faith on occasion would not go astray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

of course id say it to his face why wouldnt i?? i have being going to waterford games for 25 years but i havnt went to a game since he got the waterford job, nor will i go as long as hes there and i know several others who are doing the same. hes a bluffer and he hasnt got a clue. he really is no good for waterford hurling and hes the wrong man to handle this transition period.

So you'd stop supporting a team, because of the manager? Poor enough reason to stop going to matches.

• Advertisement

So you'd stop supporting a team, because of the manager? Poor enough reason to stop going to matches.

thats your opinion...i dont like the county board either, a bunch of clowns, tom cunningham, timmy o keeffe and the likes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement