Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 deiseboy24

What end are the waterford fans in this sunday??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

deiseboy24 wrote: »
    What end are the waterford fans in this sunday??

Killinan end with the Limerick fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Orizio wrote: »
    Agreed, Waterford by 10...?

I'm just glad we can all agree that Cork are useless and Waterford are the clear favourites. ;)

Yea thats exactly what im saying alright :rolleyes: i meant they are beatable but i never said that we will definetly beat them. I think you know that hence why you omiitted the sentence I said before that

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

I would just like to say good luck to all involved on Sunday,has the makings of a great game.

I can't wait to head off Sunday morning. C'Mon the Deise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Optimist eternal

I wonder if there are any stand tickets knocking around. 2 people have asked me. i wouldn't know where to look at this late stage. Thats the beauty of a season ticket. Just print off the ticket the week before the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

KevIRL wrote: »
    Who cares what the journalists think, I think its a peculiar thing to Waterford to obsess over how many journalists thought we would win.

Cork aint overwhelming favs with the bookies anyway, PP just make them -2 points in the handicap

Have to agree. Paper never refuses ink, and Journalists have a living to make. There also has to be a winner and bookies have to favour one over the other. It just happens most often than not, Waterford are the under dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Astonishingly, RTE have tipped us to win, long time since they have done anything other than call us 'veterans'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2012/0727/330843-deise-should-handle-the-rebel-yell/

May be getting ahead of myself but am getting increasingly confident about us getting over the line on Sunday. I think the extra bit of experience and the superior half back line may see us get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭skaface

Cake Man wrote: »
    Killinan end with the Limerick fans.

Don,t know about that, a lot of lads i know are goin in the Town END..
    anyone else know anymore about this, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Does anyone know is it possible to find up to date tables for championships other than for the senior hurling and football ones and the senior football and hurling leagues on the County Board's G.A.A. Website. Up to this year, the site was very user friendly but it has changed this year and things are harder to find. Is it possible also to get SGT Cup and Phelan Cup games and tables for the juvenile competitions.

The tables for the senior leagues dont appear to be correct. They dont seem to be giving teams that scored three or more goals in a game a bonus point, or has the rules changed this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Black Suir wrote: »
    Does anyone know is it possible to find up to date tables for championships other than for the senior hurling and football ones and the senior football and hurling leagues on the County Board's G.A.A. Website. Up to this year, the site was very user friendly but it has changed this year and things are harder to find. Is it possible also to get SGT Cup and Phelan Cup games and tables for the juvenile competitions.

The tables for the senior leagues dont appear to be correct. They dont seem to be giving teams that scored three or more goals in a game a bonus point, or has the rules changed this year.

Servasport fixtures I think is your best chance of getting up to date tables on the website, I agree it's descended into farce when it was pretty reasonable last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 deisedub

Result from this evenings friendly Waterford u.16 v Cork.
    Possibles won 1-11 to 0-13
    Probables lost 3-7 to 2-17

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Its not a great Cork team for sure but I think there are to many flaws in this W'ford team. The more serious of which are a a lack of pace and a lack of a bench. Seamus was out on his feet in the last quarter Vs Tipp, (having done trojan work)......no one to replace him. Tony couldnt get to Corbett in the second half.....no pace. I'm sure the Cork half forwards will play 20 yds off Tony, like Corbett did, and could do damage. C'mon the Deices.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

to whet the appetite for tomorrow (the missus headin out tonight, so house to myself) ill be watching the 2003, 2004, 2010 Munster Final victories and the 07 AI Q-Final win too :)

thats about 5hrs entertainment and not like ill be able to sleep anyway! G'WAN THE DEISE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

watermark wrote: »
    to whet the appetite for tomorrow (the missus headin out tonight, so house to myself) ill be watching the 2003, 2004, 2010 Munster Final victories and the 07 AI Q-Final win too :)

thats about 5hrs entertainment and not like ill be able to sleep anyway! G'WAN THE DEISE!!

lol U shud get the 07 Munster semi final in aswell that was an incredible game. sweet win too after what happened in the 06 semi

lol U shud get the 07 Munster semi final in aswell that was an incredible game. sweet win too after what happened in the 06 semi

Jesus, that one slipped my mind, that the game we scored 5 goals isnt it!! thats almost 6hrs entertainment right there. and most of that is wlr commentary and that would be entertainment enough!
    good man!thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

deisedub wrote: »
    Result from this evenings friendly Waterford u.16 v Cork.
    Possibles won 1-11 to 0-13
    Probables lost 3-7 to 2-17

I suppose its too much to ask for the teams...?

watermark wrote: »

We lost in 2003.

We lost in 2003.

i know, but 2004 is so much sweeter after watching 2003! :D

edit: ah its the way I typed it. should have said 2003, 2004 and 2010 Munster Final victories.....

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

cornerboy wrote: »
    Its not a great Cork team for sure but I think there are to many flaws in this W'ford team. The more serious of which are a a lack of pace and a lack of a bench. Seamus was out on his feet in the last quarter Vs Tipp, (having done trojan work)......no one to replace him. Tony couldnt get to Corbett in the second half.....no pace. I'm sure the Cork half forwards will play 20 yds off Tony, like Corbett did, and could do damage. C'mon the Deices.

Would agree we're not the finished article yet, by any stretch of the imagination, but things are moving along nicely in the right direction. We definitely do not have anyone to replace Prendergast's ball winning abilities, that's for sure, and think we had better have a plan for that when we meet teams that will punish us severely should we fade in key positions like centreforward after 55/ 60 minutes. Also, I hate to be a prophet of doom, but I do worry what we will do at centreforward beyond this year, as Seamus's form or presence on the panel should he decide to call it a day after this year, cannot be taken for granted. In my opinion, what we will do at centreforward will be one of the key challenges facing this management team, and hope we have a plan b after Seamus.

Re: Tony, I think management can be held culpable for leaving Lar take Tony all around the park, in place of moving Moran back on to him, who had contained him well in the first half. We can definitely utilise what Tony has to offer us, but we cannot afford to be naieve on the line in such a way again.

In general though, I do agree we are short a little on the bench, especially with some players away for the summer, but this year will bring on a lot of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Would agree we're not the finished article yet, by any stretch of the imagination, but things are moving along nicely in the right direction. We definitely do not have anyone to replace Prendergast's ball winning abilities, that's for sure, and think we had better have a plan for that when we meet teams that will punish us severely should we fade in key positions like centreforward after 55/ 60 minutes. Also, I hate to be a prophet of doom, but I do worry what we will do at centreforward beyond this year, as Seamus's form or presence on the panel should he decide to call it a day after this year, cannot be taken for granted. In my opinion, what we will do at centreforward will be one of the key challenges facing this management team, and hope we have a plan b after Seamus.

Re: Tony, I think management can be held culpable for leaving Lar take Tony all around the park, in place of moving Moran back on to him, who had contained him well in the first half. We can definitely utilise what Tony has to offer us, but we cannot afford to be naieve on the line in such a way again.

In general though, I do agree we are short a little on the bench, especially with some players away for the summer, but this year will bring on a lot of players.
    Replacing Seamus will be a big ask when he decides to call it a day. I wonder would Eoin Madigan be worth a try in next year's League even if Seamus decides to stay it would give us an option because it does look like a major headache for us next season. I hope Seamus has a good game tomorrow and maybe put his name on the score sheet. I taught the last day his ball winning
    was first class but when it came to the lay off he had very little support. In fairness a lot of that was down to the cuteness of the Tipp half back line who seemed to be able to isolate him when he won possession. Best of luck to the Deise tomorrow hope the day is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Anybody watch Championship Maters tonight. The three panel members all went for Cork. Tommy Carr, Steven Lucy and not to show any bias I got a great laugh when Mr Makeup asked the third member who's going to win. Diarmud O'Fynn was the third member by the way. If I was a stranger to these parts I would have to ask who are Cork playing, the coverage was so one sided. Why are we always wrote off every match we play. We have more than a point to prove on Sunday lets hope we can prove all the experts wrong again. Hope Tommy Ryan has a good game he's about the same size as Seany McGrath was when he started for Cork and he proved to be quite handy for a small chap.

Because it's over 50 years since ye won an All-Ireland and ultimately come up short every single year? Ye could well beat Cork tomorrow but this is a better Cork side than the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

gpf101 wrote: »
    Because it's over 50 years since ye won an All-Ireland and ultimately come up short every single year? Ye could well beat Cork tomorrow but this is a better Cork side than the past few years.

Makes me wonder what we are all doing looking forward and commenting on actual match factors tomorrow, when instead we should obviously be looking back.. :rolleyes:

Doesn't explain why we are written off against Clare, Galway and even Cork at this stage. The real reason is they convince themselves that Waterford are on the wane to an extent greater than we are, and hype up teams that for the most part don't deliver on that.

The bookies have based it on the two respective teams, maybe on the league match, and definitely taking the performances against Tipp into the equation as well as deeming Cork to have the better forward line. It's too much a black and white view of this game. Cork may have better forwards, but I"don't think they match up forward v back any better than Waterford.

Compare back lines. Cork have two talented corner backs, but they have McDonnell making only his 2nd start at full back in a Championship match and they obviously weren't happy with him against Tipp because they did their best to get Cahalane in their in his stead.

Connors is an immense talent. Daniels is a bit inexperienced but has shown up pretty well in 2 games. Lawlor has grown well into his position at full back and has played well, particukarly against Kilkenny in the semi last year.

It's the half backline though where I think we will win this. Cork have Tom Kenny and Sean Og, both who have question marks over them, especially Sean Og. In between is Cadogan, who has had serious difficulties against Tipp and is a good player but not a top Centre back. There is no player there that I see delivering a great performance and showing the leadership required of a half backline.

In contrast, Moran, Brick and Tony all have that capacity. I'd be a bit concerned about Tony on a dry day, hopefully he'd last it and hopefully the management won't allow him be marked by Lehane.

Does that snipe really make you feel better now. We are well aware how long it is since we won an All Ireland. As a tourist that I dragged along to a league game awhile back asked me where is the hurling world cup played. I got a great laugh out of this, its a great game in a tiny country but there are some very backward supporters who really need to grow up. Win or lose I'M heading to the pub tomorrow night.

That didn't take long :)

That didn't take long :)

Congratulations, you have managed to elicit a response on a messaging board, where bored users come specifically to post their views in response to others.

A truly monumental achievement.

It was a tongue in cheek response to an over the top assessment that ye are written off before every game ye play. A number of people are making Waterford favourites and certainly nobody is writing ye off. Practically every fan in the country acknowledges it's going to be tight and could go either way.

It's not surprising Cork are slight bookies favourites. The league game (as little as it's worth) was pretty comprehensive and Cork were slightly more impressive against Tipp in my opinion. Add to that that it's quite a different Cork team this year managed by a manager with proven success and the bench is stronger than it has been in years. There is a general feeling that there is more potential in this Cork team than there has been for quite a while. Although Waterford have had the better the of past few meetings, Cork obviously have a much stronger tradition of winning senior All Irelands, and a strong record vs Waterford overall.

I really have no idea how it will go, I'm hoping for a 2-3 point win but I wouldn't be surprised if Waterford won.

It was a tongue in cheek response to an over the top assessment that ye are written off before every game ye play. A number of people are making Waterford favourites and certainly nobody is writing ye off. Practically every fan in the country acknowledges it's going to be tight and could go either way.

It's not surprising Cork are slight bookies favourites. The league game (as little as it's worth) was pretty comprehensive and Cork were slightly more impressive against Tipp in my opinion. Add to that that it's quite a different Cork team this year managed by a manager with proven success and the bench is stronger than it has been in years. There is a general feeling that there is more potential in this Cork team than there has been for quite a while. Although Waterford have had the better the of past few meetings, Cork obviously have a much stronger tradition of winning senior All Irelands, and a strong record vs Waterford overall.

I really have no idea how it will go, I'm hoping for a 2-3 point win but I wouldn't be surprised if Waterford won.
    Cant disagree with you there. Hears to a great game and Ryan's of Thurles serve a great pint. World class

Being from Cork, you probably don't understand how annoying it is to get a consensus that says you will lose in pretty much every game you play.

I know they all add in 'it will be a close game' when they say Cork will win, but that doesn't make it less annoying.

Take the Clare game. On championship matters, the three panellists (Vincent Hogan, Ciaran Lyng and I think Liam Griffin) all went for Clare. And Waterford won. Sure, they probably said that it would be tight, but you think one person would have gone for Waterford if it really was that hard to call.

RTE said Wexford would beat us in 2008. Galway are always favourites against us. I think you'll find that even outside of Kilkenny and Tipp games, we're still underdogs in a lot of games we've played, and we haven't lost to any of those teams since early 2008.

Sure, if you got 50 impartial fans, 35 might say Waterford will win tomorrow, and they might be very rational in their views, but they don't have a national audience, and aside from the RTE website who've really shocked me, it seems there is no balance provided for what is a 50/50 game at least.

You and others are telling us to change the record. Well, we will, when they change it also.

Cork may will be vindicated favourites in the end, all I ask is that we get some balance and proper analysis of where the game might be one and lost rather than hearing "Cork have the better forwards, but Waterford have a lot of experience so it'll be close but Cork should shade it".

It's that kind of crap that annoys me. How about we get some analysis of the respective matchups, or hear where teams have improved or weakened on last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I made similar comments on here after the Clare game. Most pundits and fans said it would be tight, and it was a 50-50 call as to who would win. But yet there was a flurry of posts on here telling the pundits to shove it up them and they know nothing after Waterford won. Yet there was only a puck of the ball in it at the end. No one wrote Waterford off. Any prediction was a hesitant vote to Clare, no one came out and said Clare would wipe them off the field.

And its much the same this week. Its 50-50 as to who will win, and I think there will only be a puck of a ball in it again. Altho I would give my hesitant vote to Waterford, but just because I would think a side may win a game, it doesnt mean I am writing off the opposing team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement