Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

hardybuck wrote: »
    I would drop Foley for any of the alternative options based on his semi performance. So, in the context of a Munster final, I feel his experience would put him ahead of the other options such as Wayne Hutchinson or bringing Twomey in and dropping Mahony back to win back.
    WOW and thats the way forward for you picking a fella on reputation. .you pick tony he would be cleaned out ,he is not half the player he as ,i know its hard but let go ,i know its your opinion all the above mentioned are ahead of him at this stage ,EVERY DOG HAS HIS DAY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

WOW and thats the way forward for you picking a fella on reputation. .you pick tony he would be cleaned out ,he is not half the player he as ,i know its hard but let go ,i know its your opinion all the above mentioned are ahead of him at this stage ,EVERY DOG HAS HIS DAY

I have that opinion based on club hurling I've seen this year also by the way. I think Twomey has had better club form, but is still a bit of a loose cannon. Foley's club form has been very average, and was as I said poor the last day out. Hutchinson - haven't got a good look at him this year, but I know him very well.

Remember last year in the Munster final, we threw in an inexperienced defender, unbelievably marking Lar Corbett. His name was Jerome Maher, the team conceded 7 goals that day, and we haven't heard his name since. I'd rather not have a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

Remember last year in the Munster final, we threw in an inexperienced defender, unbelievably marking Lar Corbett. His name was Jerome Maher, the team conceded 7 goals that day, and we haven't heard his name since. I'd rather not have a repeat.

another one of Davy's bright ideas thank god he's gone....

we are a team in a transition, trying to find our feet.lots of new players mixing with the old, this year will be a different game altogether, and im really looking forward to it,even if it is in that kip
    it will be a good game.i don't think tipp will have it as easy as they think they will.

Beware of the Underdog :-) :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Ballygunner 1-12 Lismore 1-9 in Div.1 of the minor hurling championship tonight at Ballygunner, anyone at it and any report? Something of an upset there, Lismore would have been tipped to win that game, especially with the Bennett's and Seanie Barry in the team. Looked a dire night for a game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

it will be a good game.i don't think tipp will have it as easy as they think they will.

I havent heard a single Tipp person say they will have it handy, are you making stuff up perhaps???

• Advertisement

another one of Davy's bright ideas thank god he's gone....

we are a team in a transition, trying to find our feet.lots of new players mixing with the old, this year will be a different game altogether, and im really looking forward to it,even if it is in that kip

agreed about last year [davy dose not do bright ideas]and transition is a great escape word for fellas to use it eases the pain of defeat ,if we had someone with balls and was not afraid to make changes to a successful team you would not have transition

I have that opinion based on club hurling I've seen this year also by the way. I think Twomey has had better club form, but is still a bit of a loose cannon. Foley's club form has been very average, and was as I said poor the last day out. Hutchinson - haven't got a good look at him this year, but I know him very well.

dont know how you come to that ,especially with twomey ,he always seems to get his head down and WORK extremely hard for the team and get SCORES ,I CAN SEE THE WAY YOUR THINKING ,#1 TINY BROWNE #2TONY BROWNE #3 TONY BROWNE #4 TONY BROWNE ,etc etc ,its your favourite song ,we all dream of a team of tony brownes a team of tony brownes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Lads, I'm just looking for some pointers here. We know of a few places where we can get tickets for the Munster final (online, Super Valu, etc.), but in previous years we've had wicked trouble getting decent tickets when we've had a juvenile in tow. This year we are going to be four adults plus one juvenile.

Any ideas what's the best approach? "Decent" tickets for me this summer just means "covered" because you never know what sort of Biblical torrents will be falling on the day! :rolleyes:

dont know how you come to that ,especially with twomey ,he always seems to get his head down and WORK extremely hard for the team and get SCORES ,I CAN SEE THE WAY YOUR THINKING ,#1 TINY BROWNE #2TONY BROWNE #3 TONY BROWNE #4 TONY BROWNE ,etc etc ,its your favourite song ,we all dream of a team of tony brownes a team of tony brownes

Well, I've played in Munster finals before. I've seen lads crumble under the pressure. Many of them had good club form and were performing well in training coming in. At the end of the day, certain players simply have big game mentality, others don't.

Also, I've know Twomey. I've seen him dozens of times. Without wanting to single him out, he isn't the most reliable of players. I think he absolutely has the talent to go on and be a top player, but needs to develop a bit more before I'd risk starting him in a Munster final.

While we're at it, what would be you're reasons for not picking him? While I've given very reasoned opinions you've given nothing but nonsense like what you've typed above.

I havent heard a single Tipp person say they will have it handy, are you making stuff up perhaps???

any person i met from tipp reckons waterford shouldn't even bother turning up..

im only stating my opinion am i not entitled to do that. No ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

any person i met from tipp reckons waterford shouldn't even bother turning up..

im only stating my opinion am i not entitled to do that. No ??

And did you agree with them.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    And did you agree with them.

and why would i agree with them ?????

don't have any fear of Tipp why should we ?? we are well capable of beating them on the day

and before ye mention last years final...... No point in dwelling in the past..look forward

and why would i agree with them ?????

don't have any fear of Tipp why should we ?? we are well capable of beating them on the day

and before ye mention last years final...... No point in dwelling in the past..look forward

That's the stuff. Come The Deise.

Well, I've played in Munster finals before. I've seen lads crumble under the pressure. Many of them had good club form and were performing well in training coming in. At the end of the day, certain players simply have big game mentality, others don't.

Also, I've know Twomey. I've seen him dozens of times. Without wanting to single him out, he isn't the most reliable of players. I think he absolutely has the talent to go on and be a top player, but needs to develop a bit more before I'd risk starting him in a Munster final.

While we're at it, what would be you're reasons for not picking him? While I've given very reasoned opinions you've given nothing but nonsense like what you've typed above.
    he is too old its a young mans game ,agreed a big game mentality is essential but you have to have hurling and age to go with it ,no use being calm and not be able to get within 5 yards of your man ,again its not nonsense its my opinion ,i would not have tony in the team say ,the last 2 years ,

any score in the cork Offaly game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

1.12 1.10 to cork

he is too old its a young mans game ,agreed a big game mentality is essential but you have to have hurling and age to go with it ,no use being calm and not be able to get within 5 yards of your man ,again its not nonsense its my opinion ,i would not have tony in the team say ,the last 2 years ,

I wasn't saying your opinion was nonsense, but rather that you were talking nonsense when rubbishing mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Any news on the A v B game played between the Senior hurlers today? It was on in the Fraher Field and maybe it might give an insight into the team selection for next Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Team was pretty much as per last day except for forced changes. Lawlor didnt play, rest day for him, was connors, danno and jamie nagle full back line. Moran, Brick and Foley. Phil Mahoney and Twomey midfield. Martin O Neil, Seamus and Maurice. Gavin, shane Walsh and Mullane. No molumphy or kelly there. Second half tony swapped with richie and played very well. Jamie went midfield and philip went fullback with danno moving to corner. Philip is fairly versatile il give him that.

I wasn't saying your opinion was nonsense, but rather that you were talking nonsense when rubbishing mine.
    sound

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

You seem to indicate that it was because of that lad we got such a hammering? For starters he was taken off after 20 mins so wasnt even on the field for most of the goals.

Secondly the reason we got that anihalation was because of the crazy system introduced by the management which left oceans of space around our goalmouth and a lad like Lar Corbett can have an absolute field day. You could have had the best fullback in the country that day and it wouldnt have made a difference

You seem to indicate that it was because of that lad we got such a hammering? For starters he was taken off after 20 mins so wasnt even on the field for most of the goals.

Secondly the reason we got that anihalation was because of the crazy system introduced by the management which left oceans of space around our goalmouth and a lad like Lar Corbett can have an absolute field day. You could have had the best fullback in the country that day and it wouldnt have made a difference

That's why I was careful to say the team conceded 7. It certainly wasn't all his fault, but he was definitely a weak link.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is there a public sale of tickets in Walsh Park next week.

Super Value and the Internet have ****e stand tickets.

Would it be worth is paying on the day next week ??

That's why I was careful to say the team conceded 7. It certainly wasn't all his fault, but he was definitely a weak link.
    the weakest link that day was davy fitz himself but only by a short head beaten that day into 2nd place was unfortunately for us Hennessy ,3rd place goes to the selectors for not having a pair of balls between them,

So Clare beat Dublin last night and if we lose next week will that mean that Clare will leapfrog us as the fourth best team in the land because Dublin were billed ahead of us at the end of last year. Seems a bit of a joke now looking back and seeing how poor Dublin were yesterday. I'm not predicting that we lose next week I hope that we can perform as we have in past encounters with Tipp we always gave them a game and got the better of them for most of the past decade. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Galway beating KK makes things very interesting, if Tipp beat us next Sunday, they'll go on the same side of the draw as KK. Interesting times lie ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Cake Man wrote: »
    Galway beating KK makes things very interesting, if Tipp beat us next Sunday, they'll go on the same side of the draw as KK. Interesting times lie ahead!

Yeah it's a strange one where the winners are likely to have a tougher semi-final than if the losers were to win their quarter-final. I still don't think either team will be going out to lose.

Hon the tribes men

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is there a public sale of tickets in Walsh Park next week.

Super Value and the Internet have ****e stand tickets.

Would it be worth is paying on the day next week ??

I think you have to pay a fiver more if you pay on the day

• Advertisement

I wonder will the Galway win today inspire us for next week I'm sure it will put Tipp on their guard against complacency. Galway really surprised most experts who could not see past Kilkenny and who could have blamed them. I would hate to be the next team to play them. There will be some choice language I'd say from Brian Cody at the next training session. All eyes on next week so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement