Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah they use tickets.ie. I bought my tickets for the tipp - limerick game in supervalu and the screen the girl was using was the exact same as the one I had been on when I looked them up the night before.

It was handy though. Getting the ticket in my hand straight away.

I got offered Block A on Tickets.ie and Got Offered Block K on Ticketmaster. Im in 2 minds (Block K looks better)

I doubt there selling tickets in Walsh Park like prevouis years.

****ing Kip of a place in Cork :mad::mad::mad::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Isn't it great to see how united the GAA community is.

i dont know if thats a dig at me or the Munster council :confused:

but however silly we must have looked getting down on one knee holding our caps out, I think Sean Walsh has made it his business to make us look twice as bad.

At the same time its good enough for the powers that be in this county that their being shown up for what they are. However there are a lot of genuine people there aswell that dont deserve to be tarred with this brush

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is Sean Walsh the same person who could hand Michael Walsh the Munster cup if we somehow win. ???

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

i dont know if thats a dig at me or the Munster council :confused:

but however silly we must have looked getting down on one knee holding our caps out, I think Sean Walsh has made it his business to make us look twice as bad.

At the same time its good enough for the powers that be in this county that their being shown up for what they are. However there are a lot of genuine people there aswell that dont deserve to be tarred with this brush

No what you are saying makes for a lot of sense we are in a right muddle I just taught it was pretty low somebody from another county sticking the knife in when our county board were trying to raise a bit of cash. However bad it may look there was no need for this man from a very strong GAA county making little of us. So much for unity in the GAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

zol 2 wrote: »
    Lismore 4-13

Dungarvan 1-11

Lismore were way too strong here in this u21 clash tonight. Great displays from Stephen Bennett who scored 2-8 and also from John and Padraig Prendergast.3 Barry's were outstanding here and had Lismore not been very wayward with their shooting the result would have been a lot more conclusive.I counted 14 wides some of them from easy scoring positions. Dungarvan had Kenny Moore sent off for an off the ball incident with 10 mins to go. They're bigger named players never seemed to get going and only Kevin Daly could come out of the game with a lot of credit as he ploughed alone furrow at full back. Colm Curran from frees kept Dungarvan ticking over but really the game was over at halftime as lismore lead by 1-9 to 4pts.

Any word on the other u21 games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

The Waterford players, supporters & board want the match in Thurles, The Tipperary players, supporters & board want the match in Thurles.

Why not have it in Thurles?

Why shouldn't Waterford get something out of being in the final? Cork Co Board are the ones who will make most profit from the day!

Waterford & Clare are at a major disadvantage financially because of our geographic location.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

comeraghs wrote: »
    The Waterford players, supporters & board want the match in Thurles, The Tipperary players, supporters & board want the match in Thurles.

Why not have it in Thurles?

Why shouldn't Waterford get something out of being in the final? Cork Co Board are the ones who will make most profit from the day!

Waterford & Clare are at a major disadvantage financially because of our geographic location.

It has fcuk all to do with geographical location it is down to the fact that both Cusack Park and Walsh Park are not fit to hold any championship match let alone a final.

Killarney is hardly geographically well situated yet has held numerous Munster finals. I agree with the notion that this game should not be in PUC but not because it would suit Tipp or for the financial benefit to Waterford, but simply because PUC is a cesspit where someone will be seriously hurt or worse in the very near future.

IMO all munster finals should be played in Thurles, and the revenue generated should be divided equally between the 6 counties, let the Munster Council buy Semple Stadium off the Tipp Co Board if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

It has fcuk all to do with geographical location it is down to the fact that both Cusack Park and Walsh Park are not fit to hold any championship match let alone a final.

Killarney is hardly geographically well situated yet has held numerous Munster finals. I agree with the notion that this game should not be in PUC but not because it would suit Tipp or for the financial benefit to Waterford, but simply because PUC is a cesspit where someone will be seriously hurt or worse in the very near future.

IMO all munster finals should be played in Thurles, and the revenue generated should be divided equally between the 6 counties, let the Munster Council buy Semple Stadium off the Tipp Co Board if needs be.

I agree with you ps money generated by the munster final should be divided between the 6 counties but it wont be.

Below is taken from tipperary.gaa.ie

Semple Stadium upgrade project is completed

The first phase of a major refurbishment and upgrading project at Semple Stadium, Thurles involved upgrading the Kinane Stand side of the stadium, involved expenditure of €5.5 million with the overall cost of the stadium upgrade estimated at €18 million.

Phase one involved repairing the structure of the Kinane Stand and upgrading the area underneath the stand to incorporate 4 dressing rooms, 2 referees rooms, drug testing room, first aid room, counting room, ticketing room, stewards room and kitchen. Other works included:

• Construction of permanent ticket sales outlets at the approaches to the Stadium
    • Upgrading the ladies and gents toilets
    • Providing outlets for concession and hot food sales at the rear of the stand
    • Upgrading the turnstiles to incorporate bar code readers facilitating automatic access.
    • Levelling and upgrading the floors of the concourse area at rear of stand
    • Providing a toilet and kitchenette in the high level press area
    • Creating a theme at the rear of the stand and its approaches, using flags, banners and graphics, capturing the history and tradition of Semple Stadium

The project design team was lead by Wilson Architecture, Cork and construction was carried out by Duggan Brothers, Templemore.

Phase 2 of the project, involved upgrading Ardan Ui Riain and terracing, improving access to the pitch, providing VIP and corporate facilities, floodlighting and irrigation, is currently at the planning stage.

Funding for the Semple Stadium upgrade project is being provided by Central Council, Munster Council, Lottery Funding, advance ticket sales and stadium income.

The current capacity of the Stadium is 53,000.

Now all of the above is fine but how are counties like Waterford of Clare supposed to compete with that level of funding? Then when -inevitably- we go cap in hand to the munster council- we are thrown under a bus by the chairman. Sickening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Any word on the other u21 games?

Abbeyside beat Clashmore by two.

Also in the A grade, earlier in the week Comeragh Gaels beat St olivers with about 5 or 6 to spare. They will now face Lismore.

I think Abbeyside are playing defending champions Cappoquin now in the other semi.

In the B, Cois Bhride beat Killrossanty comfortably enough. Fourmile had a one point win over Brickeys. An Gaeltacht suprisingly lost to Ardmore by 2 points.

I dunno who plays who now in the semis, I think Ballyduff Upper must be automatically in the semis much like Cappoquin are in the A!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

Abbeyside beat Clashmore by two.

Also in the A grade, earlier in the week Comeragh Gaels beat St olivers with about 5 or 6 to spare. They will now face Lismore.

I think Abbeyside are playing defending champions Cappoquin now in the other semi.

In the B, Cois Bhride beat Killrossanty comfortably enough. Fourmile had a one point win over Brickeys. An Gaeltacht suprisingly lost to Ardmore by 2 points.

I dunno who plays who now in the semis, I think Ballyduff Upper must be automatically in the semis much like Cappoquin are in the A!

thanks! i heard abbeyside were very lucky to get the win! lismore are looking like favourites at this stage

• Advertisement

thanks! i heard abbeyside were very lucky to get the win! lismore are looking like favourites at this stage

Well they did well to beat Clashmore. They have the likes of Tadhg Burke, Darren Foley and of course Brian O'Halloran.

Lismore must be strong to beat Dungarvan so eaisly. Stephen Bennett scoring 2-8 in only his first year minor is something else too! I bet the Lismore Senior management wish they had him given there heavy dependance on Maurice Shanahan. Cappoquin will be strong too mind, any team with Darragh Fives and Finan Murray on board would be and they are reigning champions. Comeragh Gaels beat a good St Olivers team, but Lismore will be a really tough game for them.

Finally some good news. For the seniors and 21s

http://www.hoganstand.com/waterford/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=172707

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Nobody said anything about the prospect of us holding a final now.

I can't see why in the current climate ourselves and clare and limerick can't have a home and away arrangement(for a non final game), especially since average attendances are shocking the past few years.

Anyway end of the day the agreement for the venue was made before the championship similiar to 2010, so the Co board knew they where p1ssing against the wind again, and of course have made us look a bit shambolic. Cork where never going to vote on a venue change because they would lose the few bob.

All Munster finals should be in Thurles regardless IMO, for historic reasons aswell as the fact that it is a great spot, and centrally accessible.

Finally some good news. For the seniors and 21s

http://www.hoganstand.com/waterford/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=172707

I'm not so sute about that, I heard Fives will definetly miss it. I dunno about Mahony, but I reckon if he does play he'll play very little of it.

If you want good news, the team is supposed to be training well and are looking forward to another Munster Final. I know a lot of these stories go around, but sure it's nice to believe those kind of things don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

If you want good news, the team is supposed to be training well and are looking forward to another Munster Final. I know a lot of these stories go around, but sure it's nice to believe those kind of things don't you think?

That's the first time i've heard that. Normally you hear there is lots of unrest and training is going horrible from the rumour mills! :rolleyes:

deisedude wrote: »
    That's the first time i've heard that. Normally you hear there is lots of unrest and training is going horrible from the rumour mills! :rolleyes:

Yeah I guess it's just based on how the team is performing. If they get hammered in the league than training is going awful, if they beat Clare against the expectations of many than they're all buoyant.

Element of truth in both though. Happy enough with how we're coming into this game, just wish Darragh Fives was available.

I'm not so sute about that, I heard Fives will definetly miss it. I dunno about Mahony, but I reckon if he does play he'll play very little of it.

I dont think either will start now anyway even if fit. Think management will go with the same team that started against Clare bar Connors for Kearney.

If we could just pull off a shock this time and source a win from somewhere it would do wonders. Not only would it set up for a semi final avoiding Tipp and KK (I genuinely think we shouldnt fear anyone else thats out there at the moment) but would also bring a bit of a buzz back into the mix, which has been missing the last couple years

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

In fairness, would that not have more to do with Cork and Kerry having home and away arrangements in football. Although other football venues do not spring to mind, so perhaps Killarney is a neutral football venue of some regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

deisedude wrote: »

Ha yeah or you'd hear around this time that such and such a player is "flying" in training and come match day, said player has the worst game of his life ha!
    Na but seriously, hopefully things are going well in the camp and looking forward to next Sunday on the basis that they're going in with no pressure and nobody giving them a chance, which is no bad thing.
    Think management will go with the same team that started against Clare bar Connors for Kearney.

I think they'll go with that team too, Paudric won't be fit enough to start but is still a good option from the bench if we're still in with a shout late on. At least himself and Fives should be available for U21 v Clare the following Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

In fairness, would that not have more to do with Cork and Kerry having home and away arrangements in football. Although other football venues do not spring to mind, so perhaps Killarney is a neutral football venue of some regard?

I think Premierstone is referring to Munster Hurling finals played between Tipp and Cork in Killarney...Most of Tipp Cork clashes were played in either Limerick or Killarney upto relatively recently when the home away arrangements came in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Starting team for Munster Final.

Assuming it will be more or less the same team whcih started against Clare?
    Noel Connors to start instead of Kearney. Is Darragh Fives definitely out.?

Very low expectations from lads around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Connors will surely come in for Kearney.
    Other than that I would have fives if fit or browne in instead of foley.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Yeboah wrote: »
    I think Premierstone is referring to Munster Hurling finals played between Tipp and Cork in Killarney...Most of Tipp Cork clashes were played in either Limerick or Killarney upto relatively recently when the home away arrangements came in

Fair enough, had not been aware of those clashes, or any other decent-sized hurling fixtures in Killarney, but would have been thinking solely of fixtures in recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Fives / Kearney KO'd

aidan.jpg
    Waterford's Aidan Kearney
    Darragh Fives and Aidan Kearney will definitely miss the 2012 Munster SHC final.

Waterford manager Michael Ryan has confirmed that there is no chance of either defender being fit to participate in the July 15th clash with Tipperary at Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

Fives picked up a finger injury in a club match recently while Kearney - who missed the first four league games of the year and had only returned for the relegation showdown with Dublin - aggravated his shoulder injury during the June 17th semi-final defeat of Clare.

Ryan has also revealed that Ballygunner attacker Paudie Mahony will not be fit to start. The 19-year-old sat out the semi-final after undergoing a groin operation nine weeks ago but has been doing light training for the past three weeks.

There is a possibility that he could come off the bench against Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Fair enough, had not been aware of those clashes, or any other decent-sized hurling fixtures in Killarney, but would have been thinking solely of fixtures in recent times.

Both Fives and Kearney out. Would consider Connors a no brainer if he was fit. I'd also drop Foley for Browne, I thought Foley had a fairly poor game against Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Optimist eternal

As for Killarney for a Munster Final, we would probably be home quicker than we will be on Sunday week.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

hardybuck wrote: »
    Both Fives and Kearney out. Would consider Connors a no brainer if he was fit. I'd also drop Foley for Browne, I thought Foley had a fairly poor game against Clare.
    between the management and selectors,they felt that he[tony browne] was not good enough or the game did not suit him to even come on as a sub ,so is there a reason why you would have put browne on ,also they have been watching him for a good few weeks ,training etc and deemed him way down the pecking order ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

between the management and selectors,they felt that he[tony browne] was not good enough or the game did not suit him to even come on as a sub ,so is there a reason why you would have put browne on ,also they have been watching him for a good few weeks ,training etc and deemed him way down the pecking order ,

I would drop Foley for any of the alternative options based on his semi performance. So, in the context of a Munster final, I feel his experience would put him ahead of the other options such as Wayne Hutchinson or bringing Twomey in and dropping Mahony back to win back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KDemp

Things are falling into place for a great night at The Munster SH Preview Night in The Local Bar in Dungarvan Monday 9th July @ 9pm
    Pat Fox, Dan Shanahan, Ken McGrath, Michael Ryan & Dave Bennett will be there and Frankie Walsh, the Waterford All Ireland winning Captain 1959 to name but a few. Donnchadh and Helena Gough have been working hard to get fab items for the Auction, which will raise funds for The Hurlers. Break out your piggy bank and come along for a great night of music & craic. We hope to see you there :)

Some of the items lined up for auction so far are:

Framed Jersey Signed by all 14 Waterford All Stars (Collector’s Item)
    Donated by Tommy Byrne, framed by Geraldine Curran of Copytype.

32” Walker HD TV with Saorview
    Ben O’Neill

Hamper of 12 bottles of Wine
    Keane – Power

Overnight stay for 2 in Cliff Townhouse Dublin
    Honor Byrne

2 Nights B&B + Evening Meal in any Flynn Hotel Group Hotel
    Pierce Flynn

4 Ball Golf in The Fota Island Resort
    Club Déise

4 Ball Golf at West Waterford Golf Club
    Austin & Bridget Spratt

3 Course Meal for 2 from The Cliff House Hotel Bar Menu
    Honor Byrne

Hamper of Local Waterford Produce
    The Country Store

Hamper from Murray’s Pharmacy
    Liz Murray

Hamper from Garvey’s Supervalu

Ham on the Bone
    John David Power

10x Vacuum Packed Sirloin Steaks
    Mossie Joyce

Hamper of Food & Drink
    Value Centre Cash & Carry

2x Stand Tickets for Munster Final
    Wfd County Board

Signed Munster Rugby Ball
    Kieran O’Connor

Ryobi Drill 500W Jigsaw Drill
    Austin Curran

2x 2012 Munster Final Polo Shirts – same as the team will be wearing (Collector’s Item) Wfd County Board

Adidas Football Boots signed by Dan Shanahan
    Dan Shanahan

Signed Waterford Hurley
    Club Déise

photo.php?fbid=335937293155123&set=a.335937289821790.78278.322818171133702&type=1&theater&notif_t=like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Congratulations to the De La Salle Camogie team on reaching the Division two final at Feile. It will be played in Croke Park tomorrow at 12 noon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement