Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Was Ivana Bacik sent to a Magedelen Laundry.. !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Suzy is seriously wheezy :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

she would wan't to give up the cigs

MrsD007 wrote: »

Yeah I thought so too.. Has she got CF or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

She always is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Joanna Tuffy is nearly as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Surely the idea of a public service broadcaster is somethng that isn't that important anymore, what with the range of media and arts available for free and subscription on the internet and there is a range of TV stations now with all the arts content etc

All the current affairs stuff would pay for itself, if people wanted it.

Switch RTE off for a year, see how it goes. Would we really miss it all that much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Why is Samantha Long allowed on this show after stating she hopes to stand for DCC for FG in the next elections? Isn't that giving her an unfair advantage? Or does VB policy only apply to sitting councillors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Joanna Tuffy is nearly as bad.

Its probably cheap TV3 mikes. Never happens on RTE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

D1stant wrote: »

They can afford to heat the studios 24/7, licence money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Vinny said the government party TD's were invited, but were ''unavailable''

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

coolhull wrote: »
    Vinny said the government party TD's were invited, but were ''unavailable''

Running for cover, can't wait till friday, they won't be going home, probably stay with friends, if they have any left.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭TheRealPONeil

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Surely the idea of a public service broadcaster is somethng that isn't that important anymore, what with the range of media and arts available for free and subscription on the internet and there is a range of TV stations now with all the arts content etc

All the current affairs stuff would pay for itself, if people wanted it.

Switch RTE off for a year, see how it goes. Would we really miss it all that much?

I think "public service" is the point here - ie "whose primary mission is public service" - and not the whim of some broadcasting mogul.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Is it a co incidence that RTÉ 1 are now showing a documentary on their contribution to public service broadcasting ? ;)

EDIT:

And as luck would have it, the closing credits roll as soon as I sent this post.

I think "public service" is the point here - ie "whose primary mission is public service" - and not the whim of some broadcasting mogul.

Yes, 4 reporters in Rome tonight (including the news anchor) and not one critical or incisive word of comment on the story they were reporting. Whimsy alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭TheRealPONeil

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Yes, 4 reporters in Rome tonight (including the news anchor) and not one critical or incisive word of comment on the story they were reporting. Whimsy alright!

You're missing the point. My comment was on the principle of Public Service Broadcasting (did you bother to follow the link) - not the execution in this particular case - the principle is at risk by allowing private interests to control media (including the government).

You're missing the point. My comment was on the principle of Public Service Broadcasting (did you bother to follow the link) - not the execution in this particular case - the principle is at risk by allowing private interests to control media (including the government).

I know what Public Service Broadcasting is, I just think we don't have it in RTE, not in the true sense anyway.
    A full review of it's future and it's operation and cost to us. Make the changes and then come up with a price for it, instead of this ridiculous charge that has just been plucked out of the air. It could be done for half of what it is costing imo.

The nternet has changed everything about broadcasting. RTE is far from independent, both from government and private interests.
    In this day and age is it really neccessary that we pay for Lyric, for instance? It all needs serious review.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

D1stant wrote: »

Ha ha ha ah c'mon everybody,you gotta like this one,,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Boombastic wrote: »
    Ha, Ha..Vincent nearly speechless when asked about his salary !! Love it, now if only someone would put the same question to Joe Duffy !!

Absolutely priceless''nearly speechless' he actually was,because the dribble slobber dribble that came out of his mouth soon after,was total MORTO.. and the exact reaction he has been trying to get from numerous guests he's had on his show over the years.... I say couldn't happen to a nicer chap,,Ha ha ha

Vinny won't like this......
    The BAI also upheld a complaint against the Tonight with Vincent Browne programme, which was broadcast on 23 October 2012.

The presenter said that Israel was a cancer in foreign affairs and that the Jews "stole the land from the Arabs"..........

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0228/370039-bai-complaints/

http://www.bai.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/20130228_CCDecisions_February2013_vFinal.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He is right, the Jews are building houses illegally on Arab land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The complaint should have been dismissed...
    The complainant finds these comments deeply offensive and regards them as anti-Semitic and they are indefensible coming from a journalist who is supposed to show objectivity.

No sensible or rational person, without a political axe to grind, could possibly interpret Vincent Browne's words as anti-Semitic. By resorting to the usual "anti-Semitism" accusation, favoured by Israel's most cretinous apologists, the complainant has made it quite obvious that his "concerns" are entirely politically motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Breaking news. New pope is Pope E. Meritus according to Patsy McGarry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Just watching last night's prog .... can anyone tell me what exactly is the point of Auditors? (apart from self aggrandizement). In my innocence I assumed that when auditors signing off on annual reports it meant the report was both accurate and an honest representation of a company position. :rolleyes:

They seem to produce reports which, to put it mildly, are works of fiction & as with the bankers they seem to be yet another case of heads I win, tails you loose. Rather interesting the way they seem to have side stepped any blame for the banking & property debacle and not only that but they seem to be the principal beneficiaries of the crash!

Callan57 wrote: »
    Just watching last night's prog .... can anyone tell me what exactly is the point of Auditors? (apart from self aggrandizement). In my innocence I assumed that when auditors signing off on annual reports it meant the report was both accurate and an honest representation of a company position. :rolleyes:
    Callan,

I've come to the conclusion that auditors are bit like those engineers that come to inspect your new house and sign off on the work. They can only assess/report on what they can physically see and there is a big disclaimer at the end of their reports to prevent them from being sued if they miss things that have been 'hidden' from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Callan,

I've come to the conclusion that auditors are bit like those engineers that come to inspect your new house and sign off on the work. They can only assess/report on what they can physically see and there is a big disclaimer at the end of their reports to prevent them from being sued if they miss things that have been 'hidden' from them.

Never mind 'hidden' it seems unless the company management actually put it in front of the auditors in such as way that they actually fall over it & crack their empty skulls the auditors will see nothing: and a company management is likely to do that? .... yea right :rolleyes:

Money for old rope ... isn't Capitalism some system?

I read in the Limerick Leader this evening that Vincent Browne will be presented with a 'Lifetime Achievement Award (Limerick Person of the Year Awards) for his outstanding contribution to journalism in Ireland over the past 40 years.

Vincent is a Limerick native, he was born and raised in Broadford so it's nice to see him being recognised by his own county.

I hope Peter Mathews has the sense to leave FG soon, it's clear that he's struggling in the same way as George Lee.
    Fine Gael's Peter Mathews calls for emergency Budget to scrap property tax

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fine-gaels-peter-mathews-calls-for-emergency-budget-to-scrap-property-tax-29103725.html#sthash.4GtsKzVM.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

I hope Peter Mathews has the sense to leave FG soon, it's clear that he's struggling in the same way as George Lee.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fine-gaels-peter-mathews-calls-for-emergency-budget-to-scrap-property-tax-29103725.html#sthash.4GtsKzVM.dpuf

technical group here i come.

• Advertisement

Are Noel and Paschal sharing the same chair?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement