Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

He seems a decent enough sort of person. You would wonder why he got involved in politics.
    It is like George Lee all over again, FG have learnt nothing :mad: I'd love to see him join Shane Ross, Stephen Donnelly and Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Looks like someone has had a word with poor Peter.
    He looked a bit lobotomised in his explanation.

Looks like someone has had a word with poor Peter.
    He looked a bit lobotomised in his explanation.
    I think Peter comes across as broken and disillusioned by politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I heard somewhere that he is an accountant. Does anyone know where he works?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Mathews_(politician)

He is a qualified Chartered Accountant, and has worked for Coopers & Lybrand (now PwC) and ICC Bank. Before entering politics, he was a consultant on banking and finance, and a media commentator.

That Frank Daly lad... came out of retirement to run NAMA.. I mean, does a person who has retired really have the appetite and drive to play hardball with all these developers..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

20 minutes of not one word about NAMA being mentioned yet.......until now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I think Peter comes across as broken and disillusioned by politics.

Or by Fine Gael ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

20 minutes of not one word about NAMA being mentioned yet.......until now.

More like 10 minutes once you take out the ads at the beginning.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Or by Fine Gael ?
    Perhaps you're right, I think politics needs more people like Peter Mathews and Stephen Donnelly.

Did anyone hear that people who are under NAMA paying off their loans are being paid an average of between €150,000 to €200,000 'to comply with the rules of the agency'?.

It was heard at the Public Accounts Committee.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1026/nama.html

What a sheer waste of taxpayers money!

The new boy is confident isnt he.. (the precocious little pup)..

• Advertisement

Vincent looks like he took a heap of Valium.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Vincent looks like he took a heap of Valium.

That's Vincent all over, he either looks like he's taken a heap of valium or he needs to take a heap of valium :)

do you hear this fkn eegit... It was working well when we set it up, but since FG took over it's not.... FF can go to hell...

The new boy is confident isnt he.. (the precocious little pup)..
    Jonny, I think he is right, NAMA and Anglo Irish Bank should be subject to the Freedom of Information Act. When FOI is used properly, it is a very powerful tool. Look at what Nick Webb and Shane Ross uncovered about FAS through FOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Jonny, I think he is right, NAMA and Anglo Irish Bank should be subject to the Freedom of Information Act. When FOI is used properly, it is a very powerful tool. Look at what Nick Webb and Shane Ross uncovered about FAS through FOI.

The whole thing is a conjurers trick. Employing the developers at big money, not putting properties on the market and wait and see when the tide turns they will return the properties to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Fleming is more FG than Matthews tbh.

do you hear this fkn eegit... It was working well when we set it up, but since FG took over it's not.... FF can go to hell...

FF are doing nothing to redeem themselves IMO.
    Yes i know they are the opposition but they seem to oppose/criticise the government in almost everything- seemingly for the sake of opposing. And there's no nuance of admission of their part in creating the mess, no constructive criticism, no solidarity when needed. It's terrible.
    Martin seems to despise Kenny for some reason- and all i can think is STFU and leave the independents speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

FF are doing nothing to redeem themselves IMO.
    Yes i k ow they are the opposition but they seem to oppose/criticise the government in almost everything- seemingly for the sake of opposing. And there's no nuance of admission of their part in creating the mess, no constructive criticism, no solidarity when needed. It's terrible.
    Martin seems to despise Kenny for some reason- and all i can think is STFU and leave the independents speak.

They are the main opposition party - it's important that they oppose/criticise the government on a daily basis. But admittedly, no one listens to them and SF and the Technical Group are really the main opposition 'party'.

Vinny is trying his best to humilate Peter Mathews :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

is Vincent wearing two ties?

• Advertisement

well there is a necessity for secrecy in some of these things.. I mean RTE cant even release the salaries of their staff under FOI, for "commercial reason". So I have no problem with secrecy where it serves the public interest. My problem is that that, yet again with a Government run body, there is the necessity for MAKING the requests... because we know the thing isnt being run properly... And nobody will be held accountable..

I mean even from when NAMA was set up you could see.. A problem is NEVER solved by adding another layer of civil servants and solicitors... And now NAMA are having a row with the Public Accounts Committee ???? We'd be better off just burning down all the NAMA properties.. it would cost us less..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This is why I get fed up watching political shows and reading crap in the newspapers, always the focus is on the irrelevant issues . .

Ok, lets say we have full disclosure of these loans . . What then ? What exactly does it achieve ? Does it mean we dont have to pay them back ?

Our government have chosen to continue down the same route as our previous one (whether they have to or not). Why should investors be "named and shamed" for getting their money back ? If our government and the EU want to penalise us, lets keep asking them questions on their motives, strategy and reason for raping this taxpayers as opposed to focus our attention on something that , if answered, would change nothing . .

Politics has turned into a PR Joe Duffy excercise in debating the populist, but insignificant issues at the expense of the real ones . .

Vincent seemed off key when reading the sun newspaper.

OH just shut up Vincent ffs... every time he asks Matthews a question he just talks over him and moves on to another topic...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

To me it looks like Vinnie is bullying Peter Matthews! I find it hard to watch tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Government does not solve problems, it subsidises them.
    - Ronald Reagan.

"We've been in recession since 2008" says Vinny semi-gleefully:pac: (knowing his show would have nothing to talk about otherwise). :D

It's very simple... As long as the Government keeps increasing the costs of running business and passing on expenses to private citizens (water charges, VHI increases, USC, property charges), while not realistically cutting benefits, public sector numbers and wages..... private business in the country will continue to die and we will stay in recession... until the only people left in the country are public servants, people on benefits and pensions, and a big bunch of solicitors and barristers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

dambarude wrote: »
    To me it looks like Vinnie is bullying Peter Matthews! I find it hard to watch tbh.

Peter is the government representative, Vinnie always does his best to beat them down. Just seems worse than normal because as FG TD's go Peter is one of the few decent ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

MungBean wrote: »
    Peter is the government representative, Vinnie always does his best to beat them down. Just seems worse than normal because as FG TD's go Peter is one of the few decent ones.

I don't think so. There always seems to be a particular nastiness to the way he asks Matthews questions, and the way he responds to his answers (that's if he's not talking over him).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement