Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

pdbhp wrote: »
    Just went crazy on Play Asia.

Question: Do they take long to send stuff?

Ordered 3 DS games, really happy now can't wait till they're delivered:)

If you use the normal shipping option then yes it can take a few weeks. If you use the EMS option then it's only a couple of days but expect a Fedex invoice in the post soon after asking you to bend over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Got EMS postage, hope FedEx don't try it on with me or they'll be sorry. I will personally disembowel the courier

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I haven't got the time to play what I have, never mind the stream of games, past, present and future, that I want.
    There's Deus Ex, LA Noir, Skyrim, Forza 4, I hope to get a PS3 in the next couple of months so that'll necessitate a replay of Ico and SOTC, not to mention Nathan Drakes latest QTE game!
    And that's not mentioning the stream of releases for the 3DS and one or two for the Wii to boot!

I HAVEN'T THE TIME!!!!!

I still have to finish Aliens on the DS and that's a little short game, never mind the monumental task of Dark Souls and Batman: AC.
    Plus, I started playing Bioshock 2 again and took a peek at where I was 4 years ago when I stopped playing Oblivion, and wound up playing it for an hour!!!
    It's all a tad mental, I may need a lie down!

But still, it does go to show a few facts....

1-The Xbox360 is, in the west anyway, the best all round games console since the PS2 in terms of a truly vast back catalogue of great games.

2- We are in yet another golden age of great games, loads keep coming, threatening to overwhelm, ensuring retro gamers in 15 years time will have their work cut out to keep up, not to mention to find a working PS3 and 360!

3- Beyond the increasingly meaningless annual updates to the big franchises there are plenty of original games being made, by teams both indie, small and super large, and this will hopefully bode well for the foreseeable future of gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Nice little indie game bundle going cheap here:

http://www.indieroyale.com/

Nice retro feel to some of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    1-The Xbox360 is, in the west anyway, the best all round games console since the PS2 in terms of a truly vast back catalogue of great games.

DS is better, way better. There's not a lot of variety in terms of genres on the 360 either.
    2- We are in yet another golden age of great games, loads keep coming, threatening to overwhelm, ensuring retro gamers in 15 years time will have their work cut out to keep up, not to mention to find a working PS3 and 360!

Well on the DS and PSP maybe. I'm playing a lot of games that I would pass over a few years ago on the PS3 and 360. However the good games come at the end of a consoles life so still lots more to go.

As for the PS3 and 360 being hard to find I'm also worried that with how lax Sony and MS are with backwards compatibility that the games won't carry over to the newer console meaning they could be lost forever if the service is cancelled.
    3- Beyond the increasingly meaningless annual updates to the big franchises there are plenty of original games being made, by teams both indie, small and super large, and this will hopefully bode well for the foreseeable future of gaming

Only really on the Indie and handheld side I'm seeing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

EnterNow wrote: »
    1) Enter the pork Chop Express
    2) Ram it through the doors of the White Tiger
    3) Let Wang take out Lo Pan
    4) Steal said DC, while Wang has LP occupied
    5) ???
    6) Profit

Seems like a plan, Gracie doesn't want me mixing up with LP again though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

A new steel batallion game you say. That uses the Kinect instead of a fancy controller.

http://www.play-asia.com/Steel_Battalion_Heavy_Armor/paOS-13-71-dh-49-en-70-4e6t.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A new steel batallion game you say. That uses the Kinect instead of a fancy controller.

http://www.play-asia.com/Steel_Battalion_Heavy_Armor/paOS-13-71-dh-49-en-70-4e6t.html

Steel Battalion without the big controller is like Star Wars without Lightsabers.

It may work, but it's ultimately pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

o1s1n wrote: »
    Steel Battalion without the big controller is like Star Wars without Lightsabers.

Talking of big sticks, I nabbed an official Sega Twin Stick (with the Virtual On panel colours, not the orange one) yesterday. Looking forward to some explicit Virtual On action!

This yoke:

SS%20-%200575.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's not a lot of variety in terms of genres on the 360 either

Total horse feces

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Talking of big sticks, I nabbed an official Sega Twin Stick (with the Virtual On panel colours, not the orange one) yesterday. Looking forward to some explicit Virtual On action!

This yoke:

Oh you lucky man! I've wanted one of them for a while. Don't think I can justify buying one though seeing as I have the Steel Battalion setup. A house just doesn't have room for both!

Total horse feces

Emphasised for effect. You know, just so Retr0 doesn't miss it :pac:

Apparently you can put the Saturn one on a Dreamcast? Best of both then as I don't like the look of the orange one. My twin stick isn't the one pictured. It's actually a bit scuffed but I got it for a real bargain so no real complaints there...

...unless it's shipped in a ball of electrical tape and described as working, fully boxed and complete when it's actually not (on all counts). :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

o1s1n wrote: »

Apparently your mech has a full crew in it. And when things get rough a crew member might panic and you have to drag him back to his seat and slap him about a bit.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Apparently your mech has a full crew in it. And when things get rough a crew member might panic and you have to drag him back to his seat and slap him about a bit.

Sounds like one of those Retro Beers nights you lot have. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Super Sad 8-Bit

When video game heroes appear in promotional artwork or on the covers of their game releases, they’re invariably happy, determined, or heroic.
    They are heroes and they’re not allowed to be sad.
    There’s no room for melancholy, at least officially but Mike Mitchell thinks otherwise.
    He’s determined to give video game characters a sad side in his exhibition for the SUPER iam8bit show being held in Los Angeles.
    Every one of the heroes shown below appears to feel remorse for killing what must’ve been hundreds if not thousands of enemies because their blood is splattered all over them. Enjoy.

mike-mitchell-i-am-8-bit-link-zelda.jpg

mike-mitchell-i-am-8-bit-mega-man.jpg

mike-mitchell-i-am-8-bit-luigi.jpg

mike-mitchell-i-am-8-bit-kirby.jpg

http://buzzaurus.com/?p=2515

Why is IKEA jammed with skangers on a Thursday afternoon? I have a man cave to shop for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Why is IKEA jammed with skangers on a Thursday afternoon? I have a man cave to shop for!

It's not like they're gonna have jobs to go to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just "got" the new Kirby game, will report once I try it.
    Been ages since I really enjoyed a Wii game, perhaps not since Goldeneye.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

It's not like they're gonna have jobs to go to.

Maybe. But I just saw two of them break a couple vases and another tried to get away with eating 5 meatballs in the queue so it looked like they ordered 10.

Shocked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just "got" the new Kirby game, will report once I try it.
    Been ages since I really enjoyed a Wii game, perhaps not since Goldeneye.

What? No blackbeard gif & piracy is wrong message? Your slipping man...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I wonder if Da Rage are making any money off that Miller beer/band night promotion endorsement thing. Apart from selling tickets for it, obviously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well, looks like the Phoenix Wright Miike adaptation is going to be startlingly faithful to the source material. All that's missing is having a bizarre, feature-heavy clock version of The Thinker as the main McGuffin, and we've got a hit on our hands!

phoenix.jpg

What? No blackbeard gif & piracy is wrong message? Your slipping man...

I'm very very sorry... :(
    Here, allow me to make it up to you with a classic, perhaps the greatest classic pirate song of all time.....

Remember kids, Piracy is way wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'm very very sorry... :(
    Here, allow me to make it up to you with a classic, perhaps the greatest classic pirate song of all time.....

Remember kids, Piracy is way wrong!

Question is, does anyone actually press play on those things anymore?
    Is there a better way to get across the anti-piracy message????

Think of the children!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

(apologies for the poor video / audio quality, but the joke always makes me laugh)

It's worth going to the cinema in Japan just to see the ad above.

That Jap anti-piracy ad looks like an early audition for some sort of proto-Daft Punk outfit!
    Nice!

The pirate in the odd little Moe themed video looks a little, well, light in the loafers doesn't he?
    Must all that time at sea away from the wimmins!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

That Jap anti-piracy ad looks like an early audition for some sort of proto-Daft Punk outfit!
    reminds of Strong Machine 2 and Kazumi doing ads

The pirate in the odd little Moe themed video
    I was crying laughing :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Total horse feces

Only if you like lots of variety in your FPS and TPS games. Everything is too confined to specific genres at the moment and there's only a bit of the craziness of the PS1 and PS2 era for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement