Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Did a bit of a clear out at the weekend and found a (presumably) working PSONE (the mini one). Is it possible to chip one of these and add a harddrive? There's only about 10 playstation games I own, and I'd love to prevent them getting even more scratched and eliminate load times if at all possible.

No idea about adding a HD, but it's definitely possible to add a mod chip so you can rin backups of the games you do own.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Quick question, should I go for a Neo Geo pocket or the Colour version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

@Atavan - Scratch that, I've found my 2 old PS2s. Had the disccover taken off the two of them for the old SwapMagic but the laser diode was very much on its last legs when they were packed up. Might try and get a modchip for it and the network adapter/harddrive to run MAME on - unfortunately with the laser fecked, doing it the simple way with a CD/DVD based solution won't work so I'll have to get down and dirty!

Also, running backups on the PSONE is shockingly easy!

Secondly, I think there was someone on here who was fairly proficient with xbox360s? I got a RROD one free off a mate which already had been fixed by your man in bray before - basically he took off the xclamp, resilvered the heatsink and replaced it with proper nylon washers etc... as well as did something funny with the fan wiring (presuming its just tapping 12v off the board to keep the fan going the whole time or something).

Of course me in my bravado decided to go at it with a tube of arctic silver again rather than stump up the 40 odd quid, and after putting her back together it still RRODs with nothing coming up on the TV with HDMI, Composite or RCA. Fan spins up briefly but dies down almost immediately.

I tried the whole ''hold sync then press eject'' to try and narrow down the error code to no avail.

It was accidently turned on, caseless, with both heatsinks off earlier in the process and the fans went continously while the 3 RROD (General hardware error) went to 2 RROD (overheating).

Do you think I made complete **** of it and its beyond repair, or might it just be that the issue lied somewhere else - cold solder joints or similar? Its one of the older ones c.2007/8; I'm guessing maybe even JTAGable which is why I wouldn't mind spending a few bob getting it going if possible.

Excuse the Off-topicness, but I'd trust the tech expertise here over the dedicated boards xbox forum anyday!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Quick question, should I go for a Neo Geo pocket or the Colour version?

Undoubtedly Colour!

Also, any cool ideas on what to do with the PS2s and/or PSONE would be appreciated :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Also, any cool ideas on what to do with the PS2s and/or PSONE would be appreciated :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mame on the PS2 is rubbish, not worth doing.

Also I'd highly advise against doing the PS1 swap disk method since it's the quickest way to wearing out the disk drive and will ruin the console very quickly.

Yours for only one of these!

bags-of-cash.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

2:00 is that Dinorex's hat collection?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

aiiee! I',m currently working through the 16/32 bit batman games for the second part of that batman feature I'm doing, if I see another feckin batarang or game with a crap bat grapnel hook thing I'll go spare.
    On the plus side I'd forgotten that the mega cd batman animated game is actually pretty decent ..batman forever on the snes is a waste of the mortal kombat engine , and the less said about the psx one the better..
    (disturbingly I'm finding batman and robin on the playstation to actually not be that bad , it may be some weird version of stockholm syndrome kicking in on my part though..)

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Mame on the PS2 is rubbish, not worth doing.

Also I'd highly advise against doing the PS1 swap disk method since it's the quickest way to wearing out the disk drive and will ruin the console very quickly.

Yeah, figured that MAME on the PS2 would be desperately underpowered and unoptimised codewise. I remember the SNES emu plodding along fine though when I tried it 5/6 years back so I figured it was better to try and put them to use rather than have them as doorstops or worse; bringing them to the dump.

As for the PSONE, the thing was my sisters and probably got less than 60 hours total use with a dancemat. I doubt that anyone would want one, or that the resale value without the attachable LCD screen would be over 20 quid. Ergo, I'm not particularly bothered about borking it. Would be more for an occasional sampling of the oddities posted on HG101 that a ePSXe mightn't be able to emulate properly. Although now that I think of it, my main aim would be to give this a whir, where I doubt I'd actually notice rendering faults :D

I might look into the audio architecture behind them; if there's a AIO chip with Frequency Modulation synth and envelopes on it I'd consider trying to embark on a little project to make it a standalone CV synth (volt per octave). Anyone have any experience with that sort of thing? I've seen it done nicely with the Megadrive and a rackmount midi-NES before w/custom cartridge, not to mention the SID chips!

I'd rather throw the things out a window than play a sidescroll schmup!

(well...maybe Chō Aniki: Kyūkyoku Muteki Ginga Saikyō Otoko. Just to satiate my curiousity :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Nes' are too common. It's now cool to not have one :D
    Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Shoebox-Encased Mario Arduino Game More Fun Than Anything Nintendo’s Done In 12 Months

http://gizmodo.com/5839094/shoebox+encased-mario-arduino-game-is-more-fun-than-anything-nintendos-done-in-12-months

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hooray, my thought to be broken Grandstand Astrowars is working fine with batteries inserted!
    Happy days!
    Could this be the start of collecting old tabletop electronica?
    Computer Says No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Fecking An Post. First time I've ever been collared for customs clearance. They nabbed my Neo Geo controller and a few SFC games.

Not a huge value parcel thank God but they had the cheek to charge VAT plus a stupid €6 'An Post handling fee' not just on the goods but the feckin postage as well. How are they allowed to charge VAT on postage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Any of you cats have halfway credible figures on how many the Neo Geo AES were sold during its lifespan?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Any of you cats have halfway credible figures on how many the Neo Geo AES were sold during its lifespan?

Would have been at the very least close to 300,000 (that's going off the serial numbers I've seen).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can An Post charge customs and tax on second hand goods though? I thought not?

Not sure, I'm looking in to it though. It seems to be rather sweeping on non-EU packages, you get your cheeks swiftly parted and plowed even if the package is marked as a gift. No way around it unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Balls, I've ****loads coming in this week :(

Balls, I've ****loads coming in this week :(

If it's from within the EU you'll be grand, it's anything outside the EU that causes problems.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Not sure, I'm looking in to it though. It seems to be rather sweeping on non-EU packages, you get your cheeks swiftly parted and plowed even if the package is marked as a gift. No way around it unfortunately.

I thought it was illegal to be charged anything if its marked as a gift.
    Unless maybe the person marks it as a gift but also but the value on the package as well.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I thought it was illegal to be charged anything if its marked as a gift.
    Unless maybe the person marks it as a gift but also but the value on the package as well.

Nope, it's subject to tax just like anything else, even if it's marked as a gift. Common misconception that one. Even I thought so until I looked at the Comreg website.

I'm actually about to get a proper, official legal answer for us, stay tuned.

Here's the official legal wording:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1179.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭ondafly

in short - yes if from outside EU

Paid VAT + 10% Duty on the Bubble Bobble PCB :mad: from the USA. I didn't have it marked as gift, as this can cause hassle with the insurance on the delivery of the package if it did go missing.

ondafly wrote: »
    in short - yes if from outside EU
    I didn't have it marked as gift

Depends on the value of your PCB, if it was over €45 and marked as a gift you'd still be charged VAT, duty and the An Post 'handling fee'.

But yes, anything coming to Ireland from outside the EU is fair game for taxation fun sadly. In my case today I've to just pay up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here's a tip. If you're going for one of the more expensive shipping options from Japan, always go EMS.

Never EVER use UPS or Fedex. You will be guaranteed to have to pay tax. And their 'processing charge'.

EMS on the other hand I've never had to pay any import tax at all.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Here's a tip. If you're going for one of the more expensive shipping options from Japan, always go EMS.

Never EVER use UPS or Fedex. You will be guaranteed to have to pay tax. And their 'processing charge'.

EMS on the other hand I've never had to pay any import tax at all.

Yeah, EMS are well dodgy.
    That's why I like them :)

• Advertisement

batman forever on the snes is a waste of the mortal kombat engine

Apparently Batman Forever on the SNES is one of the one, or possibly the only SNES game that runs in the systems high res mode. Only other game I can think of that uses it is Secret of Mana and it only uses it for the menu before you start a game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement