Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Yep, be a while before it's done downloading etc. I take it the server issues will get better in time? I don't have hours to spend trying to get into a game.

I'd say so, was a bit crap yesterday with how long it took to get online.
    But that patch was out yesterday and the mod is getting very popular so maybe that's why.
    It is an alpha mod by the way so don't expect perfection, but it is good and worth getting.

This is where we all seem to be chatting about it on irc(think WaveForm set it up but not sure):
    http://chat.mibbit.com/#ArcadeRetro@irc.mibbit.com

And this is a thread I made over on Retrovia so we/I can post questions and maps etc and generally help each other out without dumping everything on A&R.
    http://www.retrovia.ie/showthread.php/12909-DayZ-Mod-for-Arma-2-Discussion-Tips-and-Help-Screenshots-Maps-etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I put a new GPU in my tower today and I'm currently installing Dayz... will hopefully have a better time of things this way.

DinoRex wrote: »
    I put a new GPU in my tower today and I'm currently installing Dayz... will hopefully have a better time of things this way.

For a game that's relatively simple(graphics wise) it does seem to need a decent amount of power to run it well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steve SI wrote: »
    For a game that's relatively simple(graphics wise) it does seem to need a decent amount of power to run it well.

If you've played the original game you can see where all the processing power goes. The levels are absolutely vast and the physics simulations for weapons and physics are very demanding. Enemies aren't instanced either so there's a lot of AI routines being processed for NPCs you can't even see. One of the few games that really demands a good CPU rather than relying on GPU power.

16GB of RAM would also help :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you've played the original game you can see where all the processing power goes. The levels are absolutely vast and the physics simulations for weapons and physics are very demanding. One of the few games that really demands a good CPU rather than relying on GPU power.

Damn. I might be in trouble with my Core2duo then...

• Advertisement

If you've played the original game you can see where all the processing power goes. The levels are absolutely vast and the physics simulations for weapons and physics are very demanding. Enemies aren't instanced either so there's a lot of AI routines being processed for NPCs you can't even see. One of the few games that really demands a good CPU rather than relying on GPU power.

16GB of RAM would also help :)

Very true except for the RAM. The most it has used on me in DayZ or normal Arma 2 is 1.5-2GB and I've even set the startup switch to use 8-12GB but it only ever uses 1.5-2 or there abouts. I've got 16GB by the way.

It does use a lot of memory from my graphics cards so if you don't have a lot of graphics memory it might use more standard RAM.
    Either way you're right, the maps are very large so don't bother if you've 512MB ram on a Pentium 4 system :)

Just got it running there now... seems to run okay on high. May go grab some more ram though. Just have 2 gig at the moment... haven't done much with my tower in a long time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steve SI wrote: »
    Very true except for the RAM. The most it has used on me in DayZ or normal Arma 2 is 1.5-2GB and I've even set the startup switch to use 8-12GB but it only ever uses 1.5-2 or there abouts. I've got 16GB by the way.

It does use a lot of memory from my graphics cards so if you don't have a lot of graphics memory it might use more standard RAM.
    Either way you're right, the maps are very large so don't bother if you've 512MB ram on a Pentium 4 system :)

Ah, it's been a while since ARMA2 was chewing out top of the range rigs :)

Ah, it's been a while since ARMA2 was chewing out top of the range rigs :)

My rig is months out of date :)
    I'll be upgrading to a Asus GeForce GTX 690 soon(hopefully a ROG version if they make one).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

I have to say my Radeon 5770 is struggling with the mod, flares in darkness tend to chew more fps as opposed to daylight.

Thats always the way, anytime theres a lot of glow or smoke in any game on any platform, it tends to cause slowdown on consoles, or just is more graphically intense.
    I noticed there's a "Video Memory" Setting, from Low to High.

Does anyone know which way this actually works?

If you set it low does it limit the amount of video memory used, or does it have another effect?

I mean i have a 1gb of dedicated video memory, so I'm not sure whether setting it high or low would give better performance.

It's a bit of a vague name to give that setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I read if you set it to default you get the best perormance

waveform wrote: »
    I have to say my Radeon 5770 is struggling with the mod, flares in darkness tend to chew more fps as opposed to daylight.

Thats always the way, anytime theres a lot of glow or smoke in any game on any platform, it tends to cause slowdown on consoles, or just is more graphically intense.
    I noticed there's a "Video Memory" Setting, from Low to High.

Does anyone know which way this actually works?

If you set it low does it limit the amount of video memory used, or does it have another effect?

I mean i have a 1gb of dedicated video memory, so I'm not sure whether setting it high or low would give better performance.

It's a bit of a vague name to give that setting.

I have everything set on the highest setting and its using about 1.5GB of system RAM and 800MB-1.1GB of graphics mem. So you should be ok if your card has 1GB I'd say.

I've posted detailed specs and performance over on retrovia instead of flooding this forum with non retro stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Thanks man, I'll try that!

Watching a video here on youtube and after changing the Resolution, the sound is like what you'd hear when playing a Commodore 64 Tape through a hi-fi, or morse code or something! wtf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

First time using my Gamecube RGB scart lead [non official one, I think it's Blaze]

Anyway, the pic is a horrible bright oversaturated mess. Help! :(:o

Someone might have taken the resistors out for a SNES mod?

Someone might have taken the resistors out for a SNES mod?

So this needs the resistors added? There's only five pins on the part that connects to the Cube itself...

Check mmmonkey, he shows how to mod a RGB cable to work on a SNES. It's just a guess but if that's been done then maybe it's causing the picture to be oversaturated.

Check mmmonkey, he shows how to mod a RGB cable to work on a SNES. It's just a guess but if that's been done then maybe it's causing the picture to be oversaturated.

Nah the cable was brand new in a box, got it off Andrew many moons ago. I wonder if its just an AV Scart cable....5 pins on the console end doesn't sound right...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    Nah the cable was brand new in a box, got it off Andrew many moons ago. I wonder if its just an AV Scart cable....5 pins on the console end doesn't sound right...

Was going to ask was that cable from me. Is that a stock GC? What does the picture look like when you use it with a Snes? Have another boxed one here somewhere, be interested to know where the issue lies.

Was going to ask was that cable from me. Is that a stock GC? What does the picture look like when you use it with a Snes? Have another boxed one here somewhere, be interested to know where the issue lies.

Well it's modded, but the mod has nothing to do with video output of games. Even the basic GC menu is vague & nothing is sharp.

I havn't tried with with a Snes coz it's basically too much hassle to remove the cable & chase it into place for the Snes....but from what I'm reading, all the 3rd party GC cables are missing the components needed to reduce the image :(

• Advertisement

Well it's modded, but the mod has nothing to do with video output of games. Even the basic GC menu is vague & nothing is sharp.

I havn't tried with with a Snes coz it's basically too much hassle to remove the cable & chase it into place for the Snes....but from what I'm reading, all the 3rd party GC cables are missing the components needed to reduce the image :(

That sucks balls if true. Doesn't that Blaze box advertise RGB? I know you can't believe everything you read but I thought they made decent cables back in the day. Wonder is it just a problem with that cable and the GC, wonder is it ok with a Snes? Would take me an Arma2 download (i.e. fookin ages) to dig everything out and test it here. I'm also wondering what cable I use with my GC, been years since I turned the machine on. :(

That sucks balls if true. Doesn't that Blaze box advertise RGB? I know you can't believe everything you read but I thought they made decent cables back in the day. Wonder is it just a problem with that cable and the GC, wonder is it ok with a Snes? Would take me an Arma2 download (i.e. fookin ages) to dig everything out and test it here. I'm also wondering what cable I use with my GC, been years since I turned the machine on. :(

The box is long gone, binned it the day I set the Cube up in the games room...I'm sure it said RGB though yeah :(

Ah I might just buy one from consolegoods & be done with it, not arsed getting certain value resistors/caps for a scart & chopping & changing values depending on the tv. They seem cheap enough anyway :)

Lol @ the ARMA 2 download lenght comment :D

Jesus H 32X games are gone expensive! Unless you want 36 Great Holes be prepared to pay no less than >€20 in a lot of cases...?

Jesus H 32X games are gone expensive! Unless you want 36 Great Holes be prepared to pay no less than >€20 in a lot of cases...?

That sounds like an awesome weekend! :pac: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Got Star Wars last week for €10+ couple of quid postage. Ok the box is tatty as ****e but hey the cart works :)

Got Star Wars last week for €10+ couple of quid postage. Ok the box is tatty as ****e but hey the cart works :)

Yeah I got that, Virtua Racing & Doom all for good prices too, but the other titles seem overly expensive & the pricing is woefully inconsistent at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Yeah I got that, Virtua Racing & Doom all for good prices too, but the other titles seem overly expensive & the pricing is woefully inconsistent at times.

Ah plenty of bargains out there , like this one for example :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

a5y wrote: »

That website exists to steal my money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Haha, I was going through michael biehn's wife's facebook page (I'm a bit of a stalker like that) to see if she had any photos of the Dublin signing when they were over.

Not only does she have photos that she uploaded, I'm in three of them in the crowd at the front! :D

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2371005427090&set=a.2361794756829.126896.1009118234&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2401014017286&set=a.2361794756829.126896.1009118234&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2371003747048&set=a.2361794756829.126896.1009118234&type=3&permPage=1

That's actually kinda weird!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement