Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've something Steve SI doesn't have :O (apart from wads of disposable income)

I think he can safely see your Virtual Boy, & raise you an M2 Proto Unit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    I think he can safely see your Virtual Boy, & raise you an M2 Proto Unit

Would you at least let me have my moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sorry, but no. Anyone else yeah but not you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

These Mega-Man sprites are all kinds of awesome (cant embed cause of bigness)
    200 Gaming Characters as Mega Man sprites

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Don't worry Retr0, you've always got that PHD to hold over us :rolleyes:
    I thought my degrees and Masters was decent til I met you :( Any chance the PHD might be revoked because of the fact you're a NES 50hz lover these days?

Edit:
    phd_joke_messenger_bag.jpg

Hmm, does this mean you're Sheldon and I'm Wolowitz from The Big Band Theory?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd trade my PhD for a degree and masters any day. Companies don't want PhD graduates and prefer degree and masters grads :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Pfft, I call Sheldon, I'm a theoretical physicist and am extremely neurotic to boot. About 6 weeks away from being able to do the whole 'I've got a PhD' thing though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

waveform wrote: »
    Holy ****! Early Nintendo DS prototype thingy @ 50s in! :eek:

Can't get over the similarities!
    christ on a bike , that was mad
    I own a few of the VFDs there , Astro wars is actually super galaxian in japan , that makes sense I guess..
    I never knew the SEEEE-GAAAH sample predates the the megadrive (that ad was for a mark II , so it pretty much predates the sms too..cool!

I'd trade my PhD for a degree and masters any day. Companies don't want PhD graduates and prefer degree and masters grads :/

Maybe, but a PHD is certainly an achievement.
    At least my degrees are in something normal and work related(in my field at least). My girlfriend has a couple as well, but she's Italian so its all Philosophy and Literature and such things(I call them chill out degrees, she no likey that). Although to be fair to her she's almost finished her latest degree in Counselling and Psychotherapy so that's fairly job orientated.

Personally I think she's doing it to try and fix me but we're well past that stage now:o I broken and I'm proud :D
    ghostchant wrote: »
    Pfft, I call Sheldon, I'm a theoretical physicist and am extremely neurotic to boot. About 6 weeks away from being able to do the whole 'I've got a PhD' thing though!

Sold to you, "Sheldon".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a good retro gaming joke in the Avengers.

Film's only OK though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Film's only OK though.

By your standards that means it's fecking brilliant for the rest of us! :D Thinking about going to see it and Lockout in a couple of weeks so don't go spoiling them! Presume Prometheus won't be out by then. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Film's only OK though.

I was like omg I totally get that!

I thought the film was great!

Is Scarlett Johansson in it much? Preferrably jumping about in that leather outfit! :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Andrew76 wrote: »

Is Scarlett Johansson in it much? Preferrably jumping about in that leather outfit! :o

She is indeed, doing various acrobatic things although she does have support, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It's got the Hulk. What's not to like? Oh yeah Samual L Jackson.
    Kept waiting for him to be ate by a shark.

Avenger: Intelligent Killer Sharks on a Flying Ship Plane Carrier Thing.
    Now I'd see that for a dollar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

By your standards that means it's fecking brilliant for the rest of us! :D Thinking about going to see it and Lockout in a couple of weeks so don't go spoiling them! Presume Prometheus won't be out by then. :(

Go to see Cabin in the Woods instead. Funnier, cleverer, more entertaining. If you only have to see one Joss Whedon affiliated film this year, let it be that!

Not that Avengers is bad, it's certainly entertaining, but it just kind of hits the same old boxes. As for Johannson? She gets some action, but was disappointed with the lack of Natalie Portman :( Obviously the choice was more explosions or an attractive Oscar winner. They chose the former.

Cabin in the woods is also brilliant! I'm so up on my movies lately which is rare for me! Trying to go to the cinema once a week!

Go to see Cabin in the Woods instead. Funnier, cleverer, more entertaining. If you only have to see one Joss Whedon affiliated film this year, let it be that!

Not that Avengers is bad, it's certainly entertaining, but it just kind of hits the same old boxes. As for Johannson? She gets some action, but was disappointed with the lack of Natalie Portman :( Obviously the choice was more explosions or an attractive Oscar winner. They chose the former.

Actually thanks for reminding me about Cabin, forgot about that one - not a full on horror flick though is it? Mainly want to see Prometheus tbh, Sigourney better make an appearance in that (don't care how they work it in).

I'd have no problem with Portman getting that gig either, but it wouldn't be for her acting skills. Well, not in an Avengers film anyway. :)

No it's definitely not a traditional horror movie, well worth watching though!

Actually thanks for reminding me about Cabin, forgot about that one - not a full on horror flick though is it? Mainly want to see Prometheus tbh, Sigourney better make an appearance in that (don't care how they work it in).

I can't say anything about Cabin in the Woods apart from that it is indeed not just a traditional horror: just watch it :)

Prometheus and Dark Knight Returns are my blockbuster hopes for the summer. The merciful lack of a further Transformers film is a bi-annual tradition we should all cherish.
    I'd have no problem with Portman getting that gig either, but it wouldn't be for her acting skills. Well, not in an Avengers film anyway. :)

They tease you with a reference to her character at one point. A shame, because her character in Thor was quite interesting despite her troublesome status as mandatory love interest. Guess they're waiting for the sequel to elaborate on that.

• Advertisement

I can't say anything about Cabin in the Woods apart from that it is indeed not just a traditional horror: just watch it :)

Prometheus and Dark Knight Returns are my blockbuster hopes for the summer. The merciful lack of a further Transformers film is a bi-annual tradition we should all cherish.

I'm a terrible gluton for punishment when it comes to films with any sci-fi related action/special affects in them. Only watched Transformers 3 again the other night (yes, again!). God it's bad, that blonde girl in it is a stunner but jeebus her character is so damn annoying.
    They tease you with a reference to her character at one point. A shame, because her character in Thor was quite interesting despite her troublesome status as mandatory love interest. Guess they're waiting for the sequel to elaborate on that.

Really liked Thor although
    I almost would have preferred the usual predictable happy ending rather than the one we got
    . Is there defo a sequel in the works?

Yep sequels on the way, although a new odd choice of director (Alan Taylor, best known for his TV work on Mad Men, Boardwalk, Game of Thrones, Sopranos etc...) filling Kenneth Branagh's shoes.

The weird thing is that after a number of 'teaser' films for the Avengers, The Avengers actually feels like a teaser for the sequels to the individual films :P

I assume its best to avoid the 3D version of the movie??
    Thor 3D was a huge mistake and I wish I'd seen it in 2D. I'll book a ticket for the new Odeon for Saturday I think.

I have learned to avoid 3D for every film that isn't Avatar, and yeah the 3D for Avengers is just post-production nonsense. Nice and bright in 2D (there's a few night scenes that I'm sure would look awful with glasses on). Just am not fond of the tech at all. It's a shame when it's the only way to see a film in the cinema: IFI is only showing Takeshi Miike's Hara-Kiri in 3D, which is disappointing :(

Frankly, gaming has shown itself a much more suitable fit for 3D than film. Have been more impressed with some effects on my 3DS than anything I've seen: even anything by James 'Moneybags' Cameron!

I have learned to avoid 3D for every film that isn't Avatar, and yeah the 3D for Avengers is just post-production nonsense. Nice and bright in 2D (there's a few night scenes that I'm sure would look awful with glasses on). Just am not fond of the tech at all. It's a shame when it's the only way to see a film in the cinema: IFI is only showing Takeshi Miike's Hara-Kiri in 3D, which is disappointing :(

Frankly, gaming has shown itself a much more suitable fit for 3D than film. Have been more impressed with some effects on my 3DS than anything I've seen: even anything by James 'Moneybags' Cameron!

Yeah, any dark scenes and you're screwed with this sort of 3D.

I agree on the gaming front, I love having a quick blast of Dirt 3 on my 3D monitor and glasses on the PC. Pick a track from Finland, turn on the rain and happy 3D days.

I'm big on embracing the latest and greatest(I'm aware 3D is as old as the hills, but you know what I mean) but I just have to draw the line with 99 percent of the 3D movies that have come out recently. I've been disappointed by nearly them all(except Avatar in the cinema and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 3D Bluray at home and a few others). If anyone has a 3D screen at home do check out Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 3D, whatever about the movie itself it's a damn good technical exercise in 3D.

Check out number 33 :)

200 Reasons Not To Leave Dublin:

http://www.totallydublin.ie/more/200-reasons-not-to-leave-dublin/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Best 3D in a movie was definitely A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas, took the mickey out of the process and also did some great things with it, plus it was funny!

Any cool or interesting things/hacks/mods I can do with a Jap Sony PocketStation?
    Or is it just a collectors item with no real purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Steve SI wrote: »
    I assume its best to avoid the 3D version of the movie??
    Thor 3D was a huge mistake and I wish I'd seen it in 2D. I'll book a ticket for the new Odeon for Saturday I think.

I found it very hard to find a 2D screening of the Avengers. Of the 3(!) cinemas close to me only 1 has 2D showings and they're only on in the afternoons. I have tickets booked for tonight, can't wait.

Also +1 for cabin in the woods, worth it for the whiteboard alone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement