Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Only ever played Crash games down in my older cousins' house. They tended to be a console generation ahead of us when I was a wee lad. Always meant Crash was a rare and foreign treat, with the controller generally being passed around between three or four of us. But it meant we inherited their Megadrive games while they were playing Die Hard Arcade ;)

By the time we got our PS1, Spyro and Abe's Exodus were the big thing - only Crash game I've ever owned was CTR! But I recall Crash 3 being a particularly delightful experience. Must download it one of these days and indulge my nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I remember the glory being thrown at Spyro when it was released.
    Massive push instore, massive push in the games media too.
    Unfortunately it simply felt, to me, like another wanna-be Mario 64, no better than Croc or Bug 3D or the rest.
    The game engine just couldn't render the sort of levels we N64 users were already well used to and it was the one area, it seems, that the N64 trumped the PS.
    I mean, the PS framerate was better, the visuals crisper (without the vaseline-o-vision of the N64) but nothing seemed to inhabit the expanse that N64 titles managed, be it Mario64, Banjo or even Diddy Kong Racing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As an ignorant child Spyro was a joy. Have no idea how it would hold up today. Poorly I'd imagine.

But even as a foolish kid Hunter the Whatever was annoying as heck:

hunter.png

Laugh it up, you ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

This is me the other week when I dropped my iPhone :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I remember the glory being thrown at Spyro when it was released.
    Massive push instore, massive push in the games media too.
    Unfortunately it simply felt, to me, like another wanna-be Mario 64, no better than Croc or Bug 3D or the rest.
    The game engine just couldn't render the sort of levels we N64 users were already well used to and it was the one area, it seems, that the N64 trumped the PS.
    I mean, the PS framerate was better, the visuals crisper (without the vaseline-o-vision of the N64) but nothing seemed to inhabit the expanse that N64 titles managed, be it Mario64, Banjo or even Diddy Kong Racing.

N64 was better than the PS1 is every conceivable way, with the exception of the small texture cache resulting in very low res textures. The cartridges meant that there was less need to rely on RAM and it could push a lot more polygons which meant it could easily do massive environments. When I say N64 games haven't aged that well at all it's mostly down to the artists not knowing the limits of the machine and working within them than any fault of the hardware. There's no PS1 game that even came close to the visuals of Mario 64, and that was a launch game.
    As an ignorant child Spyro was a joy. Have no idea how it would hold up today. Poorly I'd imagine.

It still plays surprisingly well, the only down point is that there's absolutely no challenge.

But even as a foolish kid Hunter the Whatever was annoying as heck
    Sgt Bird was 20,000 more annoying
    DAT MUSIC
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUcSs87r2xkTtns9z9-bHbP1phoyuBhd2EaRONbsL9AR1mjV1liQ

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really enjoying Makaimura on the wonderswan but the bloody art style does not suit the crappy screen. Having more black on screen than white makes it very hard to see anything and make out the detail in the sprites. The other black and white games that use white as the background colour all look much nicer and are easy to see.

speaking of Spyro, someone's selling a plush of him on adverts (wish I'd enough room for him </3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    This is me the other week when I dropped my iPhone :)

Also a great depiction of cyclists :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

DinoRex wrote: »
    The real question is, has there ever been a good representation of games on screen?

The original Tron perhaps...
    Oddly enough back in the later nineties Spaced wasnt too bad for gaming, they had an REII themed epsiode and both tomb raider and tekken cropped up as part of other episodes.In the commentry (yeah I actually do listen to these and its damn good for that series) Simon Pegg goes on a fair bit about how much he hates fake game playing in TV shows (i.e the guy waggling an atari joystick that isnt actually plugged in while playing Halo or something)and that he was trying to actually play the games when the scenes were being filmed , to the point where he was having trouble hitting lines.So there you go...dedication!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    N64 was better than the PS1 is every conceivable way, with the exception of the small texture cache resulting in very low res textures. The cartridges meant that there was less need to rely on RAM and it could push a lot more polygons which meant it could easily do massive environments. When I say N64 games haven't aged that well at all it's mostly down to the artists not knowing the limits of the machine and working within them than any fault of the hardware. There's no PS1 game that even came close to the visuals of Mario 64, and that was a launch game.

Ok, so like, we know you are almost always right, about everything and, you know, in spite of this we still let you hang out here, we're good people.

But I have to call you on the N64 being better than the PS1 in "every conceivable way".
    Controller?
    That N64 controller, great for Mario, not so good for everything else.
    I can't think of an N64 game that wouldn't have run better with a Dualshock, or at least an analogue pad.
    Games?
    Ok, so Mario 64 was unparalleled, Waverace 64 was great, even the slow Pal edition, 1080 was a sublime genre changer.
    But racing games? MK64 is a controversial one at best and past that good racing games come thin and slow, Beetle Adventure Racing but it, ultimately, comes off as a Need For Speed re-purpose, sharing much of the look of the very impressive PS racer but ditches the tension and replaces it with "Funtm". The only other racers that rocked my world were Top Gear Overdrive (mostly because there weren't any other racers of the type on system), F1GP2 (despite a slow framerate it looked/looks great) and Diddy Kong Racing (still a favourite, can't believe they fit so much in there, including the casual racist stereotypes!).
    But look to the likes of the Wipeout they released for the N64 and the problems glare out, awful framerate, pitiful draw distance, even the Saturn version is better, the only saving grace are the new tracks. Ridge Racer too and awful addition to the series and they further insulted us by releasing it for the DS as well!
    In the area of sports games the N64 goes novelty act, Mario turning up to play Golf and Tennis, two good games but can they really be seen to trump the EA, Konami and Sony releases in the genre?

I really have to call you on this one.

The cart system also meant that only the big dev studios could launch software on the N64, the PS encouraged independent developers to make games all the way down to bedroom coders with the Net Yaroze project.

The PS had Toca, Ridge Racer, G-Police, Colony Wars, Medal of Honor, Aliens Resurrection, Gran Turismo, Colin McRea, Pro Evo, Tekken 3, FFVII, and more, so many more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ok, so like, we know you are almost always right, about everything and, you know, in spite of this we still let you hang out here, we're good people.

But I have to call you on the N64 being better than the PS1 in "every conceivable way".
    Controller?
    That N64 controller, great for Mario, not so good for everything else.
    I can't think of an N64 game that wouldn't have run better with a Dualshock, or at least an analogue pad.
    Games?
    Ok, so Mario 64 was unparalleled, Waverace 64 was great, even the slow Pal edition, 1080 was a sublime genre changer.
    But racing games? MK64 is a controversial one at best and past that good racing games come thin and slow, Beetle Adventure Racing but it, ultimately, comes off as a Need For Speed re-purpose, sharing much of the look of the very impressive PS racer but ditches the tension and replaces it with "Funtm". The only other racers that rocked my world were Top Gear Overdrive (mostly because there weren't any other racers of the type on system), F1GP2 (despite a slow framerate it looked/looks great) and Diddy Kong Racing (still a favourite, can't believe they fit so much in there, including the casual racist stereotypes!).
    But look to the likes of the Wipeout they released for the N64 and the problems glare out, awful framerate, pitiful draw distance, even the Saturn version is better, the only saving grace are the new tracks. Ridge Racer too and awful addition to the series and they further insulted us by releasing it for the DS as well!
    In the area of sports games the N64 goes novelty act, Mario turning up to play Golf and Tennis, two good games but can they really be seen to trump the EA, Konami and Sony releases in the genre?

I really have to call you on this one.

The cart system also meant that only the big dev studios could launch software on the N64, the PS encouraged independent developers to make games all the way down to bedroom coders with the Net Yaroze project.

The PS had Toca, Ridge Racer, G-Police, Colony Wars, Medal of Honor, Aliens Resurrection, Gran Turismo, Colin McRea, Pro Evo, Tekken 3, FFVII, and more, so many more.

I'm armed with coke & popcorn, for what should be, the argument of the year so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Capcom really are making a big push with RE6, there are ads for it everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

As someone who has unashamedly enjoyed games like FIFA, PES, Virtua Tennis, etc. since they have existed, I can happily say that the FIFA games on the PS1 were just as awful as the N64 ones, and the ISS/PES games, while different on both formats, were both extremely playable, and still are. Other PS1 football games such as Actua Soccer and Adidas Power Soccer were awful, with the latter being one of the worst games I've ever had the misfortune of playing. I love tennis games, and Mario Tennis had far more sticking power in our house than any PS1 representation of the sport, including even the version of Smash Court Tennis with Ms. Kournikova smiling back at you on the box :)

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'm armed with coke & popcorn, for what should be, the argument of the year so far :D

I'll save us some time....

He'll make a witty retort, going down through each point, making a mockery of my attempt at being sage and wise.

I'll point out that he's wrong.

Folk will drink the coke and eat the popcprn.

He'll show more demonstrations of how, in fact the N64, the controller and suite of games for it are the greatest of it's generation and how I suck.

I will agree on the part about sucking but will say that the Saturn probably had more landmark games than the N64

He will give that one to me but remind me we are discussing the relative merits of the PS verses the N64, and make pseudo gestures of disbelief at my position in the debate.

Sera will post a funny and quite incisive cartoon, illustrating the debate using either ascii characters or pokemon/adventure time toons.

I will trump all by reminding him of his intense dislike of N64 games due to the repeated use of Vaseline-O-vison.

He will say most polygon based games of the era look and play pants now anyway.

I will point out G-Darius and R-Type Final, neither of which appeared on the N64.

He will call into question my parenthood.

I will remind him he comes from Balbriggan.

He will avoid any mention of either Goldeneye or Perfect Dark in his defence of the console and remind me that he is arguing about the architecture of the devices and that the N64 is a better designed machine, excepting that texture cache thing.

I will say I love architecture, especially Art Deco, then retreat in shame after posting as I realise that I was talking about the wrong kind of architecture.
    I retire to my man-cave, pop Halo into the Xbox and rock gently, hugging my knees to my chest, until the bad men in my head go away......

Enternow will sit back, full of crisps, popcorn and coke and wonder whats for dinner....

Surely Ciderhuman gets post of the week for that one :D

Capcom really are making a big push with RE6, there are ads for it everywhere!

I cancelled my order with Zavvi for it.
    But playing the demo, I'm tempted to reinstate it again.
    I love the feeling of control the game gives now.
    Edge seemed to be dismayed at that, they liked the vulnerability that the controls of RE4 gave the character.
    Me?
    I just wanted to be able to turn in time to face the lunatic with the chainsaw, to this day I get chills when I hear a 2-stroke engine firing!
    The demo really shows off the power of the 3DS, I thinking that an F-Zero GX sequel is just what I need to hear announced right now.

Since you're busy in preparation for the great Ciderman vs Retr0gamer war of 2012, I think it's only fair I mention you've confused RE6 with RE:Revelations. That'll give you a chance to

-ammend your post
    -delete this incriminating one
    -ban me for highlighting the error of your ways.

In any order you like, of course, sir.

Sure all of the above.
    I can only process one RE game at a time anyways!

I was looking at the Zavvi site and they've jacked the price of RE:Revelations up to 47 with the circlepad pro. It was 37 when I ordered it.. :(

No, I did the right thing, the credit card is red hot at the mo!

• Advertisement

Just had a super secret(not anymore :p) demo of the Nokia Lumia 900.
    I'm an iPhone man myself but that's the first Nokia phone I've liked since the N95. I think there was someone here saying the were interested in it. If you like a gorgeous screen and camera and super quick OS you will indeed like it.

Not sure if we'll get the LTE version here in Ireland but either way its a hot phone.

On a retro note I've always preferred the N64 to the PS1 for some reason. I know the PS1 is great and I do like it but I'm more likely these days to power up the N64 than the Playstation.

N64 was better than the PS1 is every conceivable way
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,448 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Weird, I always thought the ps1 versus n64 debate was a no brainer in the direction of ps1. For every 1 decent N64 game there are probably 20-30 fantastic ps1 games.

Sorry but that really deserved a short answer
    The N64's graphics looked solid I'll give them that , but most of the time it was so damn blurry that it looked like Duplo blocks covered in Vaseline.

The PS had a ton of games that helped gaming go mainstream:
    Tomb raider* , Tekken , Ridge Racer, WipeOut,MGS, FFVII,Resident Evil,Gran turismo,Castlevania SOTN,thousands of games , hundreds of developers.

The N64 had a string of Mario games , the usual regurgitated Nintendo characters (starfox,Zelda ,Donkey Kong and the like) and a much smaller collection of 3rd party games than the PS courtesy of Nintendo's cronies (basically Rare and the like).
    don't get me started on the N64 controller
    Also
    Apparently Goldeneye hasn't aged well ;)

I'm not really going to disagree with anyone about what they said about the N64. I thought my thoughts on it were pretty clear. There's no way I'd say the N64 had the better games than the PS1. The N64 had quite a small library with only a few stand out games and a lot of which have aged really badly.

When I said the N64 was better than the PS1 in every conceivable way I meant tchnically. I thought all the techno babble about texture cache and such would have clued people into that. Also the fact that my opinions on the N64 and most of it's libraries make most fanboys go Super Sayian.

As for the controller, I liked it but it had a lot of problems, from shoddy build construction to being torture for lefties.

As I said I think the main problem with N64 graphically isn't the machine but the developers and artists. Rare was forever pushing the machine too far, framerate be damned. More realistic games were not suited to the machine either due to the 16K of texture cache. An interview with the developers of Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine explains how the 16K texture cache makes realistic games look muddy and crap but in highly stylised games you can repeat the texture on polygons to make them seem higher res but it would look out of place in a realistic game. It's why nintendos more highly stylised games look far better than anything else on the system while Zelda which went a bit more realistic has aged a bit worse graphically out of nintendos games, although not as much as other third party developed games. People also forget what a massive deal the N64 having a z-buffer did for gaming and what it introduced, it's the reason why N64 games look more solid and also meant more complex architecture in games without the worry of horrendous clipping.

Not sure why we have to choose a side these days to be honest...

These days I would play more N64 games than PS1 games. Mainly Smash Bros, DKR, Mario and Zelda.

I think being able to stick 4 controllers into the N64 without the hassle of a multi-tap means that when people are over we're much more likely to stick it on for a quick go of Smash Bros or Mario Kart. Beats rummaging for memory cards and multi-taps and hoping the PS1 discs haven't been irreparably scratched :P

I could never get over the fact that Sony didn't stick 4 controller ports on the PS2. Meant I always turned to the GC and Dreamcast (and Power Stone) when friends were over

Actually I feel a bit embarrassed about my first reply there, sorry as it was a bit rude ; This is the peoples utopia that is A&R not that barren wasteland After Hours or anything , and such terse replies are not wanted here.:(

On the other hand I've just realized I'm a rabid PlayStation fanboy..I never knew!!

Actually I feel a bit embarrassed about my first reply there, sorry as it was a bit rude ; This is the peoples utopia that is A&R not that barren wasteland After Hours or anything , and such terse replies are not wanted here.:(

On the other hand I've just realized I'm a rabid PlayStation fanboy..I never knew!!

Don't worry about it, no offense taken :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

When I said the N64 was better than the PS1 in every conceivable way I meant tchnically.

So one conceivable way then...?

• Advertisement

I'm not really going to disagree with anyone about what they said about the N64. I thought my thoughts on it were pretty clear. There's no way I'd say the N64 had the better games than the PS1. The N64 had quite a small library with only a few stand out games and a lot of which have aged really badly.

When I said the N64 was better than the PS1 in every conceivable way I meant tchnically. I thought all the techno babble about texture cache and such would have clued people into that. Also the fact that my opinions on the N64 and most of it's libraries make most fanboys go Super Sayian.

As for the controller, I liked it but it had a lot of problems, from shoddy build construction to being torture for lefties.

As I said I think the main problem with N64 graphically isn't the machine but the developers and artists. Rare was forever pushing the machine too far, framerate be damned. More realistic games were not suited to the machine either due to the 16K of texture cache. An interview with the developers of Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine explains how the 16K texture cache makes realistic games look muddy and crap but in highly stylised games you can repeat the texture on polygons to make them seem higher res but it would look out of place in a realistic game. It's why nintendos more highly stylised games look far better than anything else on the system while Zelda which went a bit more realistic has aged a bit worse graphically out of nintendos games, although not as much as other third party developed games. People also forget what a massive deal the N64 having a z-buffer did for gaming and what it introduced, it's the reason why N64 games look more solid and also meant more complex architecture in games without the worry of horrendous clipping.

So that's kudos for me to know he was talking about architecture!

And mroe again because he didn't mention Goldeneye or Perfect Dark!!

And as for Art Deco, well, I think you know where I stand on that!

On a brighter note, Super Puzzle Bobble on the G-Net is really great!
    I thought I'd seen the whole series, this took me by surprise completely.

A bit like Retr0's assertion that the N64 is better than the PS!!

Next it'll be dogs are better than cats, Gamegears are better than Gameboys and Balbriggan is better than Limerick!

DinoRex wrote: »
    So one conceivable way then...?
    Actually LMAOL at that one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement