Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just finished Who I am, the Pete Townshend autobiography. He's had some life!

Just starting the ocean at the end of the lane by Neil Gaiman. Comes recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Lucena wrote: »
    I’m reading « A Game of Thrones », the first book in the A Song of Ice and Fire Series. Only about 100 pages in but struggling to remember all the characters. There’s a list at the back of the book, but I daren’t look in case I find out something that hasn’t happened yet (death, secretly the father of X or whatever).

Can anyone tell me if it’s safe to look?

Someone in this thread showed me this guide when I was reading the first book. It's more aimed towards the TV show as it doesn't really have the secondary characters that are in the books, but it might help you! (No spoilers)

The appendix in the back of the book doesn't give away anything either, don't worry!

I found the A Wiki of Ice and Fire site absolutely brilliant, it was what I constantly used while reading the books. You can search for characters, place, etc. Each wiki page gives you the history and characteristics of the character/place, and then the page is sectioned out by book. So as long as you scroll slowly you won't be spoiling anything for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Simon Schama 'A History of Britain' Volume 1

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just finishing up The Hunger Games. Not particularly well written, and the basic premise is taken from Battle Royale, but I really enjoyed it none the less. Looking forward to reading the other books.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Mid-way through book 6 of The Wheel of Time. After finishing this one I think I need to read something factual before progressing with the series, 6 books in the same universe is a bit of overkill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Sleepy wrote: »
    Mid-way through book 6 of The Wheel of Time. After finishing this one I think I need to read something factual before progressing with the series!

Twice I've tried to re-read the series and twice got stuck on book 7. There's a couple of tough books to get through but it is worth it. (espexcially when Sanderson takes over imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Sleepy wrote: »
    Mid-way through book 6 of The Wheel of Time. After finishing this one I think I need to read something factual before progressing with the series, 6 books in the same universe is a bit of overkill!

Read book 7 (A Crown of Swords?) it's the last good one that Jordan wrote. The next few books after it are woeful (but apparently Sanderson did a good job of finishing the series)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Clash of Kings, Book 2 of the Song of Ice and Fire series. So far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

david75 wrote: »
    Just finished Who I am, the Pete Townshend autobiography. He's had some life!

Thanks for the recommendation. I like rock n roll autobiographies and am a bit of a Who fan.

In return I reckon you should check out Slash's book. Quite a good storyteller and interesting to read his thoughts on Axl Rose.

Chris Martin should literally take a leaf out of one of these guys' books. Modern "rock" stars just ain't like they used to be.

Back on topic I'm reading Nelson Mandela's "Long Walk to Freedom". Have always admired the man and meant to read it but now he's been in the public eye again I was reminded to buy it. Only just getting to the part where he became involved in politics so judgment reserved for now.

NothingMan wrote: »
    Twice I've tried to re-read the series and twice got stuck on book 7. There's a couple of tough books to get through but it is worth it. (espexcially when Sanderson takes over imo).
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Read book 7 (A Crown of Swords?) it's the last good one that Jordan wrote. The next few books after it are woeful (but apparently Sanderson did a good job of finishing the series)
    I think I'll keep Book 7 until after I've read a few different books, it'll be much easier to pick the series back up knowing I'm starting on a well regarded book rather than one of the derided ones!

I'm enjoying the series for the most part, just beginning to find it a little tough-going after 6 bloody books of braid tugging from a certain awful character...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭blue note

The Great Gatsby at the moment. I'm only 3 chapters in, but it isn't the jolliest of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

Lucena wrote: »
    I’m reading « A Game of Thrones », the first book in the A Song of Ice and Fire Series. Only about 100 pages in but struggling to remember all the characters. There’s a list at the back of the book, but I daren’t look in case I find out something that hasn’t happened yet (death, secretly the father of X or whatever).

Can anyone tell me if it’s safe to look?
    You should definately look at the listings of the Families or 'House of' etc at the back. I finished book one about a six weeks ago, and I never noticed the 'House of' character listings until a couple of hundred pages in!! I also was struggling to remember the characters, and using that at the back definately helped and didn't spoil anything. The Family status at the back is at the time of the start of Book one - Song of Ice and Fire. I thought it was brilliant, couldn't put it down (and I had even seen Series 1 of the HBO series a couple of years ago). Book 2 was also brilliant, and I'm now reading book 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I just self-published my first book nearly two weeks ago. I'm currently 50,000 words into my second book. I wish that I could read more, but I'm genuinely afraid of blending someone's storytelling into mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,031 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands. Slowly but surely making my way through King's gunslinger series. Absolutely loving it so far and can't wait to see where it goes. Rumours of movies and mini series led me to finally get around to beginning these books. I think I'd prefer a tv show though.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep.

I love Chandler! The film with Bogart is well worth watching too, if you're into film noir.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Callsign Hades by Patrick Bury, great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cuchulainn90

Robin Hobb: The Live-ship traders (Again!)

Never gets old

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

dead mans time by Peter James this book has to be the best in the Roy Grace series brilliant story

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Excession by Iain M Banks. The guy had a particularly evil sense of humour, didn't he?
    An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop. The usual example given to illustrate an Outside Context Problem was imagining you were a tribe on a largish, fertile island; you'd tamed the land, invented the wheel or writing or whatever, the neighbours were cooperative or enslaved but at any rate peaceful and you were busy raising temples to yourself with all the excess productive capacity you had, you were in a position of near-absolute power and control which your hallowed ancestors could hardly have dreamed of and the whole situation was just running along nicely like a canoe on wet grass… when suddenly this bristling lump of iron appears sailless and trailing steam in the bay and these guys carrying long funny-looking sticks come ashore and announce you've just been discovered, you're all subjects of the Emperor now, he's keen on presents called tax and these bright-eyed holy men would like a word with your priests.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I just self-published my first book nearly two weeks ago. I'm currently 50,000 words into my second book. I wish that I could read more, but I'm genuinely afraid of blending someone's storytelling into mine.

Congratulations, what type of book is it? What's the title?

By the way, I wouldn't be too scared of reading for fear of future plagiarism, a writer being 'inspired' by something he/she has read is as legitimate as a songwriter being moved to write a song after hearing a great tune on the radio, as long as you put your own stamp on it it's yours.
    Hope it goes well for you, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mrmanunited

I loved the hunger games and go through about 30-40 trashy novels like that a year, read all of jack reachers and now going through the Gone series by Michael Grant. Theyre good fun, dont keep the pace of the first book, about kids being left on a town without parents and some with random powers. worth a read or download

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? lovin phillip k dick these days. about 20 pages into I, Lucifer now. a sort of autobiography of satan. his side of the story. bloody funny so far

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy(or the assassin trilogy if you will) is the finest most addictive writing over ever encountered. If you haven't you should. You'll love it.

And does George RR Martin not have an editor? Never has a writer needed one more.

9959 wrote: »
    Congratulations, what type of book is it? What's the title?

By the way, I wouldn't be too scared of reading for fear of future plagiarism, a writer being 'inspired' by something he/she has read is as legitimate as a songwriter being moved to write a song after hearing a great tune on the radio, as long as you put your own stamp on it it's yours.
    Hope it goes well for you, good luck!

It's an erotic romance! Fifty sales in twelve days. Not too bad!

There was a scandal that broke in late June about an erotic romance writer who lifted total sentences and paragraphs from other more widely-known romance novels.

The author shot up to break the Top 10 within a month. But, as more people read it, the more people who were familiar with the other works. The fall-out was spectacular. Customers were refunded and the 'author' lost all royalty (it would have been a huge payout).

As a result, many book bloggers and reviewers are declining to work with self-published authors. Add to that, readers are already reluctant to take a chance on self-published authors because they don't believe that we can make well-crafted books without middle men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

It's an erotic romance! Fifty sales in twelve days. Not too bad!

There was a scandal that broke in late June about an erotic romance writer who lifted total sentences and paragraphs from other more widely-known romance novels.

The author shot up to break the Top 10 within a month. But, as more people read it, the more people who were familiar with the other works. The fall-out was spectacular. Customers were refunded and the 'author' lost all royalty (it would have been a huge payout).

As a result, many book bloggers and reviewers are declining to work with self-published authors. Add to that, readers are already reluctant to take a chance on self-published authors because they don't believe that we can make well-crafted books without middle men.

I wasn't aware that the general reader was overly concerned with the grubby world of publishing and publishers, or indeed the provenance of the book's content, I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge on that one.
    Anyway, back to the action, what's the TITLE of your book, goddammit you may be a good self publisher, but you're a hopeless self publicist.
    Hope you sell millions, good luck!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Generally, if I start a book I'll never finish it. I've been reading Jeffrey Archer for the last 2 months. I'm not gone through 100 pages yet, I'm slow and ill forget it all when I don't read it for a few days.

I've no interest in fiction to be honest. I'd read technical books and magizines. I am not exactly a big reader.

Killer Wench, assuming you've published it as an ebook, why not throw up a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Mr. G wrote: »
    Generally, if I start a book I'll never finish it. I've been reading Jeffrey Archer for the last 2 months. I'm not gone through 100 pages yet, I'm slow and ill forget it all when I don't read it for a few days.

I've no interest in fiction to be honest. I'd read technical books and magizines. I am not exactly a big reader.

Would you not put aside time every night to read a few chapters while your in bed, Mr. G?

I just started Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - enjoying it so far, a fun read.

• Advertisement

My book will have my name (pen-name) which is linked to my twitter account. I've already had one strange man hit on me via twitter. I don't need my special fans stalking me. :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement