Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

jank wrote: »
    Stalingrad - Anthony Beevor

Excellant read, must get more of his books.

Berlin is his best work. Reads like a thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

I'm reading "Child 44" at the moment and can't put it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

skag boys - Irvine Welsh

Ive been up all night reading it. cant put it down...

work in 3 hours :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

John Grisham - The Racketeer

I'm a huge Grisham fan and have read all his books.

This was the poorest one I've come across. Started well but was pretty uninteresting and by the end I didn't give a damn.
    I also didn't like the 1st person narrative he uses throughout the book.

He realy got away from the legal background he normally uses and it failed badly. Needs to go back to what he does best!

Disappointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

World War Z. Not what I expected at all. About 1/3 of the way through, wasn't really enjoying the whole interview thing at the beginning but getting into it now. I take it the movie is only very loosely based on the book? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just finished Jeffrey Deaver's Bond novel 'Carte Blanche'. Quite entertaining...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

World War Z. Not what I expected at all. About 1/3 of the way through, wasn't really enjoying the whole interview thing at the beginning but getting into it now. I take it the movie is only very loosely based on the book? :confused:

According to the director the only thing in common is the name :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

El Guapo! wrote: »
    "A Wanted Man" by Lee Child.
    I just started it but its a struggle to read on. Lee Child seems like an awful writer.
    I tried one of his books, 'Nothing to Lose'. An entertaining read, but Jack Reacher strikes me as an almost perfect hero, which makes for an unremarkable protagonist.

My mother had a copy of a Lee Child book and I read a couple of chapters, my god, the last time I read such a poorly written book was probably Dan Brown. Honestly, it's atrocious drivel (she did say that it wasn't one of his best, however)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

NothingMan wrote: »
    According to the director the only thing in common is the name :/

Ah, figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    My mother had a copy of a Lee Child book and I read a couple of chapters, my god, the last time I read such a poorly written book was probably Dan Brown. Honestly, it's atrocious drivel (she did say that it wasn't one of his best, however)

From what I've read online, all his books are the same. The general consensus is that he is a poor writer but a good storyteller, which is why he remains so popular.
    I can't see myself continuing on with this book though. It's probably the worst standard of writing I've ever seen. It looks like it was written by a ten year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Just finished "Telegraph Avenue" by Michael Chabon and "Beautiful Ruins" by Jess Waller.

2 good reads.

Next up, "Rust and Bone"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

yeah, they're extremely different. Shame on them naming the movie WWZ

I found the book quite dull. But it is different from your standard zombie story.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Finished William Boyd's Stars and Bars, a good read, very farcical and a bit unbelievable at the end, but a good storey teller. Bought Ordinary Thunderstorms from him today and looking forward to it.

Started Graham Greene's The Human Factor today, caught me hook, line and sinker already and I'm not quite sure how!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I'm reading Homicide: A year on the killing streets by The Wire creator David Simon. Unbelievably good book. I've never seen a crime novel written like this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Currently reading 'The Final Empire' by Brandon Sanderson and loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

maguic24 wrote: »
    Currently reading 'The Final Empire' by Brandon Sanderson and loving it!

Very good premise for a fantasy novel and well written. The only thing that annoyed me (slightly) is that the magic system is too well described, it's a very original method but parts are almost like instructions for a video game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Finished the Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.Heart wrenching and brilliant.
    Going to start And the Mountains Echoed by the same author now,can't get enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Finished the Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.Heart wrenching and brilliant.
    Going to start And the Mountains Echoed by the same author now,can't get enough.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is a must-read as well if you haven't already...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Merkin wrote: »
    A Thousand Splendid Suns is a must-read as well if you haven't already...

That's the book that I read first,really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

pmcmahon wrote: »
    That's the book that I read first,really enjoyed it.

Amazing. Am waiting until And the Mountains Echoed comes out in paperback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Goodbye to the Hill by Lee Dunne, by all accounts it was easier to get your leg over in 1950's Dublin than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Depression and How to Survive It by Spike Milligan.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Merkin wrote: »
    Amazing. Am waiting until And the Mountains Echoed comes out in paperback.

Do you know when it is being released in Paperback? I tried to buy it on the Book Depository but they said I could pre-order it with only 317 days to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I have developed that nasty habit of having two books on the go at any one time! I blame Trudi Canavan's "The Magician's Apprentice". I have been working my way through it for a while now and I simply am not enjoying it as much as I did the Black Magician Trilogy.

I have just finished The Great Gatsby as I have always wanted to read it, and I wanted to make sure I had it read before I saw the film. Now that I have finished the book, I have been advised not to see the movie as it is a disappointment.

Currently half way through the Book Thief... Hard to get into at first, but now cannot put it down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Just started Mandela's autobiography. Has been gathering dust on the shelves for too long.

I'm reading Homicide: A year on the killing streets by The Wire creator David Simon. Unbelievably good book. I've never seen a crime novel written like this!

That's another one I have gathering dust... I guess I'm just so used to the television series which was inspired by the novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Davyhal wrote: »
    I have just finished The Great Gatsby as I have always wanted to read it, and I wanted to make sure I had it read before I saw the film. Now that I have finished the book, I have been advised not to see the movie as it is a disappointment.

Currently half way through the Book Thief... Hard to get into at first, but now cannot put it down

I thought the film was really good. Leonardo did an excellent job as Gatsby as did all the other characters. It lacks the depth and completeness of the book but its a good film. Allthough the one thing that ruined it was ****ing Jay-Z and Lana del Ray!!!

I read halfway through The Book Thief a few years ago, then it got too depressing so I put it aside to find a more lighter read, never quite got to finishing it unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

old hippy wrote: »
    That's another one I have gathering dust... I guess I'm just so used to the television series which was inspired by the novel.

Hahaha me too, Im looking at it propping up a stereo speaker right now. Someday!

**Vai** wrote: »
    Hahaha me too, Im looking at it propping up a stereo speaker right now. Someday!

I'm terrible; can't walk into a charity shop without buying a book or two. In my local shop, I pay an average of 50p for a new book in good nick. I'm running out of space!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

old hippy wrote: »
    I'm terrible; can't walk into a charity shop without buying a book or two. In my local shop, I pay an average of 50p for a new book in good nick. I'm running out of space!
    Me too, I need to donate some of them back to the charity shop once I've read them and feel I won't read them again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement