Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Reading Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson. It's the second of his I've written, and the form is much the same. Several disparate threads, often in different eras, and you're wondering how they'll all come together. In the first book (Reamde), I thought the ending wasn't anything special, but I like his writing style so much I'm not bothered.

As a nerd, I love the crytpography elements to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

who_me wrote: »
    It's the second of his I've written.

Lazy bastard should write his own books :pac:.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Stinger by Robert R McCammon. Was recommended to me on this thread ages ago! Really enjoying it, good old fashioned horror/sci fi story.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭steve_r

Currently reading "Then They Came for Me", by Iranian Canadian journalist Maziar Bahari chronicling Bahari's family history, and his arrest and 118-day imprisonment following the controversial 2009 Iran presidential election, as part of the Boards reading club!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85183009#post85183009

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Davyhal wrote: »
    I have developed that nasty habit of having two books on the go at any one time! I blame Trudi Canavan's "The Magician's Apprentice". I have been working my way through it for a while now and I simply am not enjoying it as much as I did the Black Magician Trilogy.

I have just finished The Great Gatsby as I have always wanted to read it, and I wanted to make sure I had it read before I saw the film. Now that I have finished the book, I have been advised not to see the movie as it is a disappointment.

Currently half way through the Book Thief... Hard to get into at first, but now cannot put it down
    The book thief is one of my favourite books. Zusack has a great way of portraying imagery..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

To Kill a Mocking Bird, for the first time. Awfully compelling book, a pity Harper Lee didn't write any more

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I read halfway through The Book Thief a few years ago, then it got too depressing so I put it aside to find a more lighter read, never quite got to finishing it unfortunately...

I can get where you are coming from. I had The Book Thief for about a year and when I was heading on holidays I decided to bring a few of the books that I had intended on reading for a long time.

When I was sitting poolside in Gran Canaria with a drink by my side, I felt somewhat out of place reading a book about a little girl growing up in Nazi Germany, especially with the book narrated by Death himself! My friends read the description at the back and gave me a very concerned look! But since I landed back in Ireland, with all the rain, and post-holiday blues, I have no trouble with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Just started but it's promising. I've gone mad recently buying 99p books off ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Stephen King's Under the Dome.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Just finished The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I enjoyed it, although I thought The Shadow of the Wind was better. May move straight onto The Prisoner of Heaven and finish the saga or read something else. I have The Rules of Attraction by Brett Easton Ellis beside my bed, but I dunno if I'm in the mood to read that yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Barna77 wrote: »
    Stephen King's Under the Dome.

How is it? I am about to start it before watching the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Just finished "The Fault in our Stars" by John Green. Haven't loved a book as much in ages, genuinely one of those book when you're laughing out loud one minute and crying the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Half way through The Quarry, Iain Banks. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

py2006 wrote: »
    I started it on Thursday, I've read just a few pages, so can't really make an opinion on it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

NYPD Red by James Patterson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

py2006 wrote: »

I read it a few years ago and devoured it in about 2 weeks. It has One of the best love to hate characters I have ever come across

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

I am reading "The Age of the Warrior" by Robert Fisk. And what excellent reading it is, a collection of his articles over the years, written by a journalist in the true sense of the word.

He is like a thinking mans Kevin Myers, you get all of the outrage and none of the idiocy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Zombee

I am reading Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time Series and I am hooked, currently on Book 4 The Shadow Rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Zombee wrote: »
    I am reading Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time Series and I am hooked, currently on Book 4 The Shadow Rising.

Be warned it slows down a bit and can be a bit of a hog to get through the next few books.

But a great series all the same! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭therunaround

Be warned it slows down a bit and can be a bit of a hog to get through the next few books.

But a great series all the same! :)

Finished the wheel of time last week. Took 10 months from start to finish.
    Stick with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'Meditations' by Marcus Aurelius. A favourite of world leaders I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

cloudatlas wrote: »
    'Meditations' by Marcus Aurelius. A favourite of world leaders I believe.

Though probably not as much as Machiavelli's The Prince.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 stringofmisery

'The Cocaine Diaries' by Jeff Farrell and Paul Keany.The story of an Irishman's ordeal in a Venezuelan prison.compelling reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I recently read The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw. It's billed as an accessible book on physics but most of it was still above my level of understanding.

I'm reading Notes from a Big Country by Bill Bryson at the moment. It's a book on little observations Bryson made on life in America after moving back there after spending 20 years living in the UK. I'm really enjoying it and have had a few laugh out loud moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I am reading Anna Karenina about 380 pages through it. Good book by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

tim3000 wrote: »
    I am reading Anna Karenina about 380 pages through it. Good book by all accounts

It's an enjoyable read, to be sure. I'm currently reading Pedro Juan Gutierrez's Dirty Havana Trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

Reading Notes From The Underground and Lord Of The Rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I just finished The Morbidly Obese Ninja and next I'm starting Zomblog II.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

At Home by Bill Bryson. Entertaining read!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I’m reading « A Game of Thrones », the first book in the A Song of Ice and Fire Series. Only about 100 pages in but struggling to remember all the characters. There’s a list at the back of the book, but I daren’t look in case I find out something that hasn’t happened yet (death, secretly the father of X or whatever).

Can anyone tell me if it’s safe to look?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement