Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 steel header

"I Heard You Paint Houses" by Charles Brandt.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭fundlebundle

py2006 wrote: »
    McChubbin wrote: »
    In regards to fiction/non-fiction, I've got a copy of Stephen King's "On Writing" lined up for a possible train journey down to my Dad's so I'll post up a review sooner or later.

That's an excellent book.

It's even better on audiobook, it is very entertaining listening to the man himself tell his life story. I have read the book before and still enjoyed the audiobook. Definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 steel header

mattjack wrote: »
    The Rape of Nanking, thank Jebus I,m not Chinese or Japanese

I read that book a few years ago. Harrowing to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Just about to start A Feast for Crows ..... need to recap A Storm of Swords first as it's been a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M. Banks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Wolfruin

ravanor its a 40k book but dan abnet is a wonderful sic fi writer even if you dislike the themes you will love each chapter and will find it hard to put the book down

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Wolfruin wrote: »
    ravanor its a 40k book but dan abnet is a wonderful sic fi writer even if you dislike the themes you will love each chapter and will find it hard to put the book down

Dan is one of the best WH40k writers imo, along with Graham McNeill and Aaron Dembski-Bowden he's one of my favourite writers. I'm reading Flight of the Eisenstein from the Horus Heresy series myself, third or fourth time I've read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Anyone here read this? I was in the mood for some Americana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Basket Case by Phillip Boucher Hayes

im really looking forward to his program on the telly tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

boblong wrote: »

I have :) It's a wonderful book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

boblong wrote: »

Great great book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I had to put Catch-22 down. Haven't a clue what's going on in it. Might come back to it another time.

such a marmite book,i hated every page of itt

reading the shadow of the wind at the moment.I's one of those books i never got around to reading but everyone else has.It's ok for now,a bit drawn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I had to put Catch-22 down. Haven't a clue what's going on in it. Might come back to it another time.

I've moved on to Sourcery by Terry Pratchett.

It's the characters, I find. I just can't keep track of the characters and who they are or what they were doing a few pages back. I finished it but couldn't really remember who was who.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

pmcmahon wrote: »

I wouldn't say I hated it, I just didn't have a clue what was happening!
    Nulty wrote: »
    It's the characters, I find. I just can't keep track of the characters and who they are or what they were doing a few pages back. I finished it but couldn't really remember who was who.

Yep, I had no idea who was who apart from the main guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Still trying to get through Nama Mia. The Ross O Carroll Kelly books have gradually gone downhill since Sydney Parade. I think i might give up on them if the new one is of the same standard as the last few.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

I'm on a John Connolly binge at the moment, started with The Book of Lost Things and from there to the Charlie Parker series. Really enjoying them, I like the paranormal edge to them and the writings are well researched and not over taxing. I have just finished The Lovers - book 8 and it creeped me out something awful, the best one so far for me.

I can't believe I've never read any of his books before, I used to pick up a Patterson for quick read thriller, but these books make his look like a mentally defiant monkey wrote them.

Also read The Book Thief from a recommendation here, what a beautiful story, thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Shryke wrote: »
    The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M. Banks.

Just bought that book myself, I'm finishing off The black Angel by John Connolly and needed a change of genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm on a John Connolly binge at the moment, started with The Book of Lost Things and from there to the Charlie Parker series. Really enjoying them, I like the paranormal edge to them and the writings are well researched and not over taxing. I have just finished The Lovers - book 8 and it creeped me out something awful, the best one so far for me.

I can't believe I've never read any of his books before, I used to pick up a Patterson for quick read thriller, but these books make his look like a mentally defiant monkey wrote them.

Also read The Book Thief from a recommendation here, what a beautiful story, thanks guys :)

John Connolly is brilliant! I often found myself squirming at some of his descriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

reading the shadow of the wind at the moment.I's one of those books i never got around to reading but everyone else has.It's ok for now,a bit drawn out.

I read Shadow of the Wind a couple of years ago and found it to be a beautifully written book. I thought that despite it being translated from Spanish, that Zafon had a great way with words but ymmv I guess.

At the moment I'm reading Vanished Kingdoms by Norman Davies, a non-fiction book examining the various major kingdoms and countries which have formed but disappeared in Europe since the fall of the roman empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Fantastic book, I really really enjoyed it.

Just started Trinity by Leon Uris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Have just picked up A Game of Thrones. Looking forward to it.

Had got about a third of the way though Animal Farm on hols too so will probably finish that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

The Nipple book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Atlas shrugged

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

bluewolf wrote: »
    Atlas shrugged

Reminds me of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Reading The Timekeeper by Mitch Albom. Very meh, but am going to finish it. It's not a patch on his other books..

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭strife

Reading a Lee Child book - A Wanted Man, I'm getting through it but the series has gone downhill in my opinion, disappointing really!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭8mv

I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive by Steve Earle.
    I should say that I am a huge fan of Steve's music - got all the albums (literally). I knew he had written a novel but didn't hear much about it and never got around to buying it. Was in the library recently and picked it up. It's really good. Great characters and dialogue. A story that grabs you from the start - a washed up drug addicted doctor, performing "services" for hookers on the back streets of San Antonio, haunted by the ghost of his old pal Hank Williams and all against the backdrop of JFK's ill-fated visit to Texas in 1963. I'm about half-way through and enjoying every page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Just started "Little Star" by John Ajvide Lindqvist.

Anyone read it?
    Is it any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes.....absolutely brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

David Throne book, not good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement