Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just finished prince of thorns by Mark Lawrence on someone from here's recommendation. Thanks whoever that was. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to getting into the other two books

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Just finished The Kite Runner. Really enjoyable book, fabulous writing

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

paulers06 wrote: »
    Just finished The Kite Runner. Really enjoyable book, fabulous writing

I just finished A Thouasand Splendid Suns, really enjoyed it although it was quite sad. The Kite Runner is next on my list!

Finished Us By David Nicholls last weekend, was disappointed with it. The writing was excellent but the storyline was fairly flat and boring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

I'm still reading the Books of Blood by Clive Barker. First three are very good, with the first two being a little better than the third, but they're all exceptional collections. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a good Halloween read.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Finished reading Last Man Off by Matt Lewis. A true life survival story of a South African fishing boat that sank in the middle of winter in the Southern Ocean. Very sad as it could have been prevented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Currently reading Battle Earth: The First Trilogy by Nick S. Thomas using the Kindle app on my phone and tablet. Are people here mainly paper or electronic readers; apart from manuals I haven't read anything paper in years find ebooks so convenient.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

jaqian wrote: »
    Are people here mainly paper or electronic readers; apart from manuals I haven't read anything paper in years find ebooks so convenient.

I'll all paper myself, I understand the convenience of an e-reader, but I just love having a physical book.

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Books_4cbab5_2275878.jpeg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Currently reading Stephen Fry's latest offering "More Fool Me" and enjoying it immensely. It's an easier read than his other biographies as I found "The Fry Chronicles" and "Moab Is My Washpot" to be laden with too many big words and verbose vocabulary that I had a hard time reading them. This book, however, neatly summarizes the previous two and, IMO, is much easier to read.
    I find Stephen Fry's work, for all its' grand use of prose and vocabulary that often bewilders me, to be quite enjoyable. He has many good ancecotes during his so-called "cocaine years" and I particularly love how he describes his early beginnings growing up in Norfolk in an old Victorian house- those chapters had such lovely, flowing descriptions that really got my imagination going.
    I'll report back when I eventually finish the book but I'm enjoying it so far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

jaqian wrote: »
    Currently reading Battle Earth: The First Trilogy by Nick S. Thomas using the Kindle app on my phone and tablet. Are people here mainly paper or electronic readers; apart from manuals I haven't read anything paper in years find ebooks so convenient.

I LOVE my e-reader, and I haven't picked up a physical book, in about 2 years.

I can read more because It's small and easy to carry around, don't miss the whole "feel" of physical book either. Tis e-reader for life now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭KH25

Love my kindle, but for some authors I just prefer to have the physical book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

The Snowman by Jo Nesbo

Really flying through it, looking forward to a bank holiday afternoon read with some good music.

Highly recommend Jo Nesbo for crime fans

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Berlin by Antony Beevor. Quite a good read, will probably pick up Stalingrad after I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

KH25 wrote: »
    Love my kindle, but for some authors I just prefer to have the physical book.

Same here. I love the kindle for its simplicity and the deals they have mean you can save a lot but there is something about the look and feel of a real book you can't beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

McChubbin wrote: »
    Currently reading Stephen Fry's latest offering "More Fool Me" and enjoying it immensely. It's an easier read than his other biographies as I found "The Fry Chronicles" and "Moab Is My Washpot" to be laden with too many big words and verbose vocabulary that I had a hard time reading them. This book, however, neatly summarizes the previous two and, IMO, is much easier to read.
    I find Stephen Fry's work, for all its' grand use of prose and vocabulary that often bewilders me, to be quite enjoyable. He has many good ancecotes during his so-called "cocaine years" and I particularly love how he describes his early beginnings growing up in Norfolk in an old Victorian house- those chapters had such lovely, flowing descriptions that really got my imagination going.
    I'll report back when I eventually finish the book but I'm enjoying it so far. :)

You're one of few people I've heard who are really enjoying it. I loved Moab and The Chronicles. Here's what I thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Hanging with the Elephant by Michael Harding. He was on the late late show a few weeks back plugging his book which was what prompted me to buy it, it was fine, I wouldn't be rushing to read his earlier books though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Science: A History by John Gribbin.

A must read if you have even a passing interest in science, history or biography. This book has it all and written in a very accessible style. I have reached the final third of the book and find myself rationing it, so it will last longer. It's one of those rare books that I will reread in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Kindle for me, I read comics more so than books so having the kindle saves them from getting beaten up. It's also nice to have a collection of books that you can switch between if you want rather than having one or two physical copies.

Currently reading 'The Hedge Knight' by GRR Martin. The regular ASOIAF books normally fill my fix of the series but doing a bit of reading around and this seems to add to the world more than I thought. Seems to be fairly short too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm currently reading More Than This by Patrick Ness, happily surprised it's an enjoyable read since I had read poor reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

Thanks to this thread, I'm now reading The Cider House Rules. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 figges

K-9 wrote: »
    The World according to Garp and A prayer for Owen Meany are both very good reads.

Would second this - Garp is good - A prayer for Owen Meaney blew me away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 figges

The Goldfinch
    Birneybau wrote: »
    Stick with it, I enjoyed it although it does get a bit flaky.

Reading 'Then We Came To The End' by Joshua Ferris, enjoying it but haven't read it since last week due to life.

tx Birney - I'll give it another go

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭baron von something

The Slow Regard of Silent Things - Patrick Rothfuss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭pavb2

She - Henry Rider Haggard

Got this amongst others as a kindle freebie I think this is where the kindle comes int its own as I probably wouldn't have bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Alternating between Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier and We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson- both are excellent! Very Gothic and mysterious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Just read Packing for Mars by Mary Roach

It's an interesting read but a little bit too focused on bodily fluids. Her latest book is 'Gulp, Adventures on the Alimentary Canal' (which I haven't read) so I think she might have a bit of a faeces fixation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm on to 12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup at the moment. It was a Christmas present last year but I'm only getting around to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

I'm on to 12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup at the moment. It was a Christmas present last year but I'm only getting around to it now.

Let us now if it was better than the film, which I found boring as hell. It was upsetting but I found I was so removed from the situation and ti was fed to the viewer in something like a time-warp you don' get too upset baout it.

Frederick Doulgas's auto cut way closer to the bone I found.

The Black Prism - Brent Weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭KH25

The Black Prism - Brent Weeks

Have you read his night angel trilogy? I absolutely loved it.

• Advertisement

KH25 wrote: »
    Have you read his night angel trilogy? I absolutely loved it.

yeah I read them last year.I really enjoyed them.I'm only 10% through this one and its shaping up to being pretty epic already

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement