Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

RoboRat wrote: »
    I am reading the 'The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared' Its very far fetched but enjoyable nonetheless :-)

Loved that book.
    Does anybody know of a book that is based around a fictional Irish town which is seedy and dangerous - don't know the name of the book and author but he was on Matt Cooper a couple of months ago?

City of Bohane. Absolute sh*te IMO but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Just finished "Death Comes to Pemberley" by P.D. James. It's a kind of continuation of "Pride and Prejudice" where, six years after P&P, someone is murdered on the grounds of Pemberley.

It took me a while to want to read it because I was nervous James would butcher the characters from P&P.

All in all, it was okay. Not hugely compelling and she somehow managed to make Darcy and Elizabeth quite bland.

As a mystery novel, though, it was serviceable enough.

I'm glad I read it, if only because the BBC is showing a tv adaptation of it this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Absolute sh*te IMO but each to their own.

Really? Think i'll give it a wide berth so. I heard the interview on Matt Cooper and it sounded interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Really? Think i'll give it a wide berth so. I heard the interview on Matt Cooper and it sounded interesting.

I read a short story by Kevin Barry that won sort of prestigious award...it was pretty crap

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I read a short story by Kevin Barry that won sort of prestigious award...it was pretty crap

Yeah me too, I read Beer Trip to Llandudno, when it won the Sunday Times Short Story award. It was OK but didn't leave me wanting to check out his other writings.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Burrow_Ursidae

The Steve jobs biography by Walter Isaccson.

Jesus Christ I never realised how big an asshole he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The Devil's Double - Iraqi man plucked from the population to perform as a double for Saddam Hussein's crazy son.

Read it a couple of years ago but I'm light on books, am enjoying the insight into the depravity of the regime. Gives some brief perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Anyone read that book "the alchemist?and would you recommend it?

I really liked it but it has religious undertones (which didn't bother me). Wife didn't like it as much. Its a very good inspirational story with a great moral tone behind it. I would 100% recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Started Neil Gaiman's American Gods this morning. Have enjoyed some of his other work and this seems to be his most well known novel.

Something I really enjoyed about it is that his idea of gods relying on belief for survival reminded me of Terry Pratchett's anthropomorphic personification idea (that believing in something calls it into being) and I liked seeing the different interpretations of a similar idea by two very different (in my opinion) authors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

The Fever Tree, by Jennifer McVeigh which I am enjoying.

I really liked it but it has religious undertones (which didn't bother me). Wife didn't like it as much. Its a very good inspirational story with a great moral tone behind it. I would 100% recommend it.

Picked it up nearly through it its actually fairly good! Thanks for the recommendation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Reading "The Reapers Are The Angels" at the moment, excellent book :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Best of Times by Penny Vincenzi.
    I've never read any of her books before: really enjoying this.
    It's 900 pages too so I'll be here til January reading it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Vojera wrote: »
    Something I really enjoyed about it is that his idea of gods relying on belief for survival reminded me of Terry Pratchett's anthropomorphic personification idea (that believing in something calls it into being) and I liked seeing the different interpretations of a similar idea by two very different (in my opinion) authors.

I thought the exact same thing, reminded me of Small Gods in that respect.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Reading the bible at the minute, pretty tough going. On the book of Judges currently, which isn't so bad as it's all warring and fighting - but some of the previous books were total tedium.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Recently finished Patricia Scanlon's Divided Loyalties - I actually couldn't put it down, many a late night up reading it. Only thing I didn't like was how the couple divided in relation to having another child was portrayed, the one not wanting another was made out to be selfish which IMO isn't alway the case.

Picked it up nearly through it its actually fairly good! Thanks for the recommendation!

If you like that, get 'the book thief' you will love it.
    Reading the bible at the minute, pretty tough going.

On my list with ulysses but I cant seem to start them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

A Feast for Crows. (Game of Thrones) George R.R. Martin.

I'm addicted to these books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

beano345 wrote: »

It's a quick read and I enjoyed the tale, it has a nice heartwarming message. Apparently he based the story on a tale from the Arabian Nights tales so perhaps you'd rather read a few of those.

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    It's a quick read and I enjoyed the tale, it has a nice heartwarming message. Apparently he based the story on a tale from the Arabian Nights tales so perhaps you'd rather read a few of those.

Read them a few years ago must dig them out again

• Registered Users Posts: 29 UnderDawg2

Currently reading Dodger by Terry Pratchett

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin

Read one of his other books The Boys From Brazil and really enjoyed it, so I said I would try some more of his books.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 FishorSeal

I'm reading Iceman atm,very hard to put down. It's about a hitman who worked for the mafia. Really chilling story. It was made into a movie starting Michael Shannon from Boardwalk Empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I am reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I am trying to read it in French to keep up my language.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Whirlwind by James Clavell
    Enjoying it so far, part of the Asian Saga (I've read Tai Pan, Shogun & Noble House), I'd recommend them all tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I am reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I am trying to read it in French to keep up my language.

I was thinking yesterday how nothing has captured my imagination like the Harry Potter series did. I felt like I lived in the world.

Is there another series like that?

I have the first book of Game of Thrones read and I'm trying to gear myself up for reading the second one over the Christmas. It's a bit tedious though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I was thinking yesterday how nothing has captured my imagination like the Harry Potter series did. I felt like I lived in the world.

Is there another series like that?

I have the first book of Game of Thrones read and I'm trying to gear myself up for reading the second one over the Christmas. It's a bit tedious though.

I'm the exact same! I've never found a book series that I've loved so much :)

I read a bit of the first GoT, couldn't get into it at all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I haven't read Lord Of The Rings and always held a weird smugness about the fact.
    I might just though. See if it's a fantasy land I could lose myself in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm the exact same! I've never found a book series that I've loved so much :)

I read a bit of the first GoT, couldn't get into it at all :pac:

Hunger Games. It caught me by surprise as for some reason I equated it with 'Twilight' in my mind, how wrong was I.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement