Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Dats me wrote: »
    It's kind of sad that we would all be bowled over if a minister stepped in and just allocated the funding through Irish Water for.thr project and gave the whole thing the green light
    It's kind of sad that a small local infrastructure project that will significantly benefit active travelling commuters requires a national legislator to intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Some updates from ministers

Ulster Canal Greenway

The Ulster Canal Greenway project will create 22km of new cross-border greenway between Smithborough and Middletown.

In 2016 the project was granted €4.95m through the INTERREG VA Sustainable Transport Measure. Joint implementation is being achieved through a Project Steering Group (PSG) comprising Waterways Ireland as Lead Partner and Monaghan County Council (MCC), Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council (ABC), and East Border Region Ltd.

The development of the Ulster Canal Greenway is in line with commitments of the New Decade, New Approach and the Programme for Government on the development of greenways in border areas.

The Greenway project is made up of two stages:

Stage 1 is the section with the cross-border element - Monaghan town to Middletown with planning applications on both sides of the border due to be submitted in November 2020.

Stage 2 - Smithborough to Monaghan town – Plans are being progressed with planning approval expected to be in place by mid-2021.

In the latter part of 2021 preparation of tender documents for construction works will be commenced.

In 2022 the tender for construction will be finalised, tenders will be sought and the construction contract(s) will be awarded. The construction phase will commence and continue through to 2023. It is expected that the Greenway will be ready for use in mid-2023. Council staff will jointly develop and co-ordinate delivery of Community Engagement Programmes in each council area to promote use of the developed greenway.

Grand Canal Greenway and Royal-Grand Link in Lucan
    Eamon Ryan wrote:
    Last year funding was announced to support Kildare County Council’s development of the Greenway between Aylmer Bridge (near Celbridge) and Sallins. Budget 2021 has allocated additional funding to support walking and cycling and an additional €1.3m will be allocated to the Council next year which should see that particular section completed in 2021.

The section between Aylmer Bridge and the 12th Lock in Lucan will be considered in future funding calls, while the Deputy may wish to be aware that South Dublin County Council is separately being funded by the National Transport Authority to progress a link, commencing at the 12th Lock and continuing through Lucan, between the Grand and Royal Canals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

I had a better look at the section of the barrow blueway under construction from Ballyteague to Glenaree, all the digging out is done and from Ballyteague to the viaduct both the rough base stone and 804 layers are complete, south of there there is only a short section to get its base layer and I'd imagine laying of the 804 will start shortly.

Having seen it I have to say it looks impressive, i can't wait for it to open up and progress south to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Public Notice:
    The government have announced €8,100,000 for the development of greenway by TII from Galway to Athlone. This is a 100% grant because of COVID-19, meaning that the local authorities will not have to match fund on this occasion. This is very welcome news and the Project will hopefully provide a very valuable resource for the community as well as those using it for touristic purposes, when done.
    Information provided courtesy of Senator Aidan Davitt

• Advertisement

Public Notice:
    The government have announced €8,100,000 for the development of greenway by TII from Galway to Athlone. This is a 100% grant because of COVID-19, meaning that the local authorities will not have to match fund on this occasion. This is very welcome news and the Project will hopefully provide a very valuable resource for the community as well as those using it for touristic purposes, when done.
    Information provided courtesy of Senator Aidan Davitt

Given the amount provided I would expect a lot of that funding is the Bridge across the Shannon?

You won't get from Galway to Athlone for 8 million if its costing 10 to turn a disused railway from Midleton to Youghal into one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

More money for the south east Greenway network.

https://kclr96fm.com/e9-million-announced-for-south-kilkenny-greenway/
    There’s another boost for the South Kilkenny Greenway with the announcement this morning of €9,000,000 in funding.

The investment in the route between Waterford & New Ross is part of a 63.5 million euro package confirmed by Ministers Eamon Ryan & Hildegarde Naughton.

It’s a joint venture between Kilkenny, Wexford & Waterford county councils.

Carlow Kilkenny Fine Gael TD John Paul Phelan says it’ll be “transformative for South Kilkenny & the general south east”.

Deputy Phelan also says “We all know the change the Waterford Greenway brought to areas like Kilmacthomas, Dungarvan, the entire Comeraghs region and smaller towns and villages along its route. The impact will be similar for South Kilkenny and I’m delighted to be able to confirm the investment”.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Money for the completion of the unfinished sections of Grand canal greenway joining the route to Lough Boora parklands to Edenderry. Also the bridge over the Shannon on the Dublin Galway greenway

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/587384/funding-confirmed-for-latest-stretch-of-offaly-greenway-project.html

https://www.midlands103.com/news/midlands-news/over-e12m-of-funding-allocated-to-midlands-greenways/

There was a mistake in the government list of greenways funded, they are funding Kerry Border to Listowel in this round, not Listowel to Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

nilhg wrote: »
    I had a better look at the section of the barrow blueway under construction from Ballyteague to Glenaree, all the digging out is done and from Ballyteague to the viaduct both the rough base stone and 804 layers are complete, south of there there is only a short section to get its base layer and I'd imagine laying of the 804 will start shortly.

Having seen it I have to say it looks impressive, i can't wait for it to open up and progress south to continue.

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/AllServices/Planning/PublicRealm/BarrowBlueway/

https://www.facebook.com/BarrowBluewayIreland/posts/674991383203097

From the FB post above
    The group are focusing on pushing the Blueway concept and distinguishing it apart from a Greenway, the Blueway is based upon activation of trails, not only providing opportunities for cyclists and walkers but for paddlers also. The Blueway Experience will aim to support novice paddlers along with the experienced paddler through the provision of equipment and supervision. The packaging of experiences is of great importance and convenience for the consumer, so the Blueway initiative is grounded in not only building high quality visitor facilities, but equally in working with service providers to activate and bring the trails to life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

The Blueway Experience will aim to support novice paddlers along with the experienced paddler through the provision of equipment and supervision.
    Saw exactly that this Summer - a person renting and supervising kayaks - while stopping off in the hidden jewel that is St Mullins in Carlow.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

South Kerry Greenway approved by An Bord Pleanala.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/south-kerry-greenway-granted-bord-pleanala/

This is absolutely fantastic news. It’s going to make a wonderful greenway and it cannot be emphasised enough how beneficial this will be for the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Hurray!

marno21 wrote: »
    South Kerry Greenway approved by An Bord Pleanala.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/south-kerry-greenway-granted-bord-pleanala/

This is absolutely fantastic news. It’s going to make a wonderful greenway and it cannot be emphasised enough how beneficial this will be for the locality.

Not just that, its a game changer for greenways in general as it sets a precedent that the CPO mechanism can be used to develop them. I'm not for riding roughshod over local landowners generally and think accommodations should be made if possible, but I also think its of no benefit for one or two stubborn holdouts to delay a project like this for 10 years. Hopefully the spectre of CPO hanging over a project makes people more amenable to a negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Where will the Southern Greenway come out in Listowel?

Will it come out somewhere near the John B Keane roundabout as you go into the town or does it come out on the Duagh road near Kerry Co Op?

I presume they will want people to come through the town.

There is a monorail in Listowel that may really benefit from all the families passing through.
    It was a very rare project taken on by the British engineers.
    http://lartiguemonorail.com/

I would think kids would love a ride on the train. It would be a great stopping point along the way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Will it come out somewhere near the John B Keane roundabout as you go into the town or does it come out on the Duagh road near Kerry Co Op?

There is a monorail in Listowel that may really benefit from all the families passing through.

I would think kids would love a ride on the train. It would be a great stopping point along the way.

Lartigue was French.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yeah, at the JBK Roundabout. The JBK road was built on the old rail line and will be upgraded as part of the Listowel Bypass.

The plan is indeed to then bring greenway traffic through the centre of town with upgraded footpaths and cycle lanes. The town centre will be a much more pleasant place on completion of the bypass in a few years.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Not just that, its a game changer for greenways in general as it sets a precedent that the CPO mechanism can be used to develop them. I'm not for riding roughshod over local landowners generally and think accommodations should be made if possible, but I also think its of no benefit for one or two stubborn holdouts to delay a project like this for 10 years. Hopefully the spectre of CPO hanging over a project makes people more amenable to a negotiation.
    It's a near certainly that objectors will seek a judicial review which will delay things a few more years. But that delay will be nothing in the grand scheme of things and there is no shortage of other greenway projects to soak up all available funding in the meantime.

And having legal certainly on the CPO process will be of massive benefit to all future projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Lartigue was French.

I suspect the poster is referring to the builders of the replica.

https://www.lartiguemonorail.com/history.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Markcheese

https://www.radiokerry.ie/south-kerry-greenway-gets-go-ahead-subject-11-conditions/

Also on radio kerry several sections of the greenway have been omiited , ( I assume from planning ) , either for environmental or coastal protection reasons ..

Not sure what impact that'll have on the route way ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

https://www.balbriggan.info/permission-granted-harry-reynolds-road-pedestrian-cycle-route/
    the 3km route will be funded by the National Transport Authority as part of Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network Plan and is an important element of the developing sustainable and active travel network in the town.

Linking a number of local schools and amenities and serving a large part of the local population, the NTA-funded scheme will also provide for a future link to the proposed Fingal Coastal Way greenway, for which route options public consultation will commence in the coming weeks also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

ABP Decision on the South Kerry Greenway http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/directions/302/S302450.pdf the omitted bits are omitted pending investigation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

BrianD3 wrote: »
    A few years ago, I was looking at old bridges on Google street, there are huge amount of them around, many are partly distmantled or heavily overgrown. Many roadusers are likely completely unaware of the history as they drive over a hump in the road with flat fields to the left and right and no trace of the railway. Probably highly unlikely that these will ever be greenways..

Not necessarily, while it is more difficult to do greenways on these routes it still can be done, especially if the land is still in state ownership which in the case of the Bagenalstown/Palace line most of it is still CIE owned, which is actually being planned by Carlow CoCo.

South Dublin CC have announced a consultation on a heap of new cycleways
    Cycle South Dublin Consultation

I have added all the proposals to the greenway map

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Where does it actually show the cycle routes? Didn't see anything in that link.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Where does it actually show the cycle routes? Didn't see anything in that link.

Somewhat confusing layout, the documentation is over on the right side of the page, under 'Materials'. Main consultation document is the very last one, second document is a map of the routes, rest are individual routes

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Just looked at the website and this is hilarious; the greenway is to have a new cycleway steel and timber bridge over the N52 but Meath CoCo want to build a new stretch of N52 about 50m south of that point, the new N52 will cross the greenway at grade! Cyclists expected to dismount and cross the National Road and then there is a bridge over the lightly trafficked local road! Public comments on N52 had to be in last week.

Details of N52 realignment here;

http://idocswebdpss.meathcoco.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/listFiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=P820012

That is pure insanity!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

How about an underpass? :rolleyes:

Advertisement