Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

So you can cycle from Dublin to use one in Mayo? Good luck with that.

he said "reduce our dependency on cars", not "ban all cars, rip up the roads and force everyone to cycle everywhere". This is more tedious "war on motorists" nonsense.

better cycling infrastructure will encourage more cycling, we're already seeing that with the modest improvements that have come about this year. Tourist-oriented facilities like the Mayo greenway, OK they won't do a lot to reduce traffic, but many greenways will provide links between towns and villages, and routes around towns and cities that will make cycling more attractive relative to driving. It's the "drive everywhere, for everything" mentality that needs to change; cars will always have their usefulness nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

MJohnston wrote: »
    I’d love to be able to do that tbh

I’m not sure exactly what your point is though — even if that person drives to Mayo, they might previously have driven around the countryside for sightseeing, and now they’re cycling.

These greenways in general are far more important as commuting tools though, not as tourist attractions.
    Or they decide to holiday in Ireland instead of abroad, so they might drive there, but this is instead of flying to somewhere abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Honestly this sounds like a dream holiday for me, tent on the back of the bike, cycle Dublin to Mayo, tool around on the great western greenway, achill, north mayo greenways for a week, then back home. Couple of days in the tent and a couple in hotels/airbnbs sounds a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Can currently get from Dublin to Clondra... so not much further really...

I look forward to when I can take a week to spin all the way out to Achill with the kids. And hopefully back via a route to Galway, and then the Galway-Dublin Greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Grassey wrote: »

I look forward to when I can take a week to spin all the way out to Achill with the kids. And hopefully back via a route to Galway, and then the Galway-Dublin Greenway.

My long term plan is to retire early and spend a lot of time exploring the country by bike. Even prior to that, something like the above sounds great to me!

• Advertisement

Speaking of Clondra, fairly close by is a BnM bridge over the Shannon which Longford currently has plans to turn into a Pedestrian/Cycling bridge, so the ball will then be in Roscommons court to link that across to Mayo. Its a relatively blank area on my map, but I'm sure there's some scope with quietways etc to get across.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Del.Monte wrote: »
    They sure do go through green areas and in many cases wreck what was there previously.
    I would not agree that anything has been wrecked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Made a map showing how much of the New Ross-Macmine and Palace East-Bagenalstown lines are still presumably owned by CIE (appears unregistered on landdirect.ie) shown by the blue line. Looking at New Ross-Macmine the majority still seems to be in CIE ownership apart from where the N30 was built on the alignment and a gap near the middle. Palace East to Bagenalstown is also still owned by CIE but there are quite a few gaps where it's been sold on.

Edit - Correct me if I'm wrong on CIE still owning it, if it is unregistered.
    Just following up on this question, if former railway land is unregistered while most or all of the land around it is registered does this imply anything about ownership?
    • Still CIE owned with possible adverse possession
    • Sold by CIE to the Local Authority with possible adverse possession
    • Sold to a private individual
    • Not sold for many years

It is trivial matter to check ownership of registered land online, not so for unregistered.

A good few years ago, I heard of a Local Authority engineer walking former railway/LA purchased land once a year in an attempt reset the timeframe for adverse possession.

Is there any encouragement from the Dept of Agriculture for farmers to register land that they own, a form of "regularisation"?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unregistered would be entirely expected for basically every one of those options, so you can't draw any conclusions.

Compulsory registration is only on sale and came in at different times in different counties, from 1970 to 2011, but mostly 2006 on so.

I THINK councils had to register all their purchases a lot earlier than was required for everyone else, but still late enough for many closed lines.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Unregistered would be entirely expected for basically every one of those options, so you can't draw any conclusions.

Compulsory registration is only on sale and came in at different times in different counties, from 1970 to 2011, but mostly 2006 on so.

I THINK councils had to register all their purchases a lot earlier than was required for everyone else, but still late enough for many closed lines.
    Thanks, what I was getting at was - if the railway land was sold to private individuals, it would be reasonable to assume that it was bought by the same people that own the land either side? In that case why would land either side be registered while the railway land isn't.

As you say, compulsory registration on sales only came in recently yet the land registration system is around since the late 1800s. At some point, somebody decided or was compelled to register the land either side.

Could it simply be a case of registering significant land parcels but not bothering with small bits with multiple landowners adjacent to the railway land all having the same attitude.

Or could a tenuous assumption be made that unregistered land running in a neat sliver through multiple registered land parcels is more likely to be owned (not taking into account adverse possession) by CIE than by the adjacent landowners.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Thanks, what I was getting at was - if the railway land was sold to private individuals, it would be reasonable to assume that it was bought by the same people that own the land either side? In that case why would land either side be registered while the railway land isn't.

As you say, compulsory registration on sales only came in recently yet the land registration system is around since the late 1800s. At some point, somebody decided or was compelled to register the land either side.

Could it simply be a case of registering significant land parcels but not bothering with small bits with multiple landowners adjacent to the railway land all having the same attitude.

Or could a tenuous assumption be made that unregistered land running in a neat sliver through multiple registered land parcels is more likely to be owned (not taking into account adverse possession) by CIE than by the adjacent landowners.

I would think that an owner registering land would register all the land concerned. It would follow that an unregistered sliver was still in CIE ownership.

[Now that is not more than my own personal opinion].

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Athlone's new bridge to be completed mid 2023

https://www.advertiser.ie/athlone/article/117629/river-shannon-bridge-crossing-is-certain-to-enhance-athlones-tourism-potential

So i'd imagine that the stretch from the N55 to the bridge will complete prior too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

So i'd imagine that the stretch from the N55 to the bridge will complete prior too.

From the same article, the section from the N55 to the marina will be completed in the next six months, so done by May 2021.

One of the most appealing aspects of greenways for me is walking/cycling on a long disused railway line, looking at the bridges etc. and thinking about the history and engineering. A few years ago, I was looking at old bridges on Google street, there are huge amount of them around, many are partly distmantled or heavily overgrown. Many roadusers are likely completely unaware of the history as they drive over a hump in the road with flat fields to the left and right and no trace of the railway. Probably highly unlikely that these will ever be greenways..

I saved some google street links for bridges but gave up after a while due to lack of time as there is so much of this disused infrastructure out there. Text file with links attached.

Imagine how good a position we would be in if all the closed railway formations had been well preserved and kept in public ownership instead of selling off for a pittance, allowing adverse possession and removal of embankments etc. .

map-of-ireland-viceregal-commission-on-irish-railways-1906.jpg?w=700

I know exactly how you feel, as a huge infrastructure nerd (On the Infra board? I know shocking!) I absolutely love seeing these incredible pieces of engineering and greenways highlight that perfectly.

A few weeks ago I was at the Barnagh Tunnel on the Great Southern Trail, its absolutely amazing, the amount of work that would have gone into it is staggering, and the road runs by right above it, you would never even know it was there.

Restoring these routes as greenways would give thousands of people the opportunity to be amazed by these fantastic feats of engineering and infrastructural brilliance.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Just wondering about Ireland's road infacture with regards to implementing Cycle lanes ect and greenways.

In Europe the roads even in Rural areas have plenty of space between property and road. Here most Rural roads have massive tree's and bushes. Any time its windy they are falling tree's on roads ect. From a safety point of view if you lose control of your car you'll most likely hit a tree instead of stopping in a field.

Why are our roads like this? How do planners overcome this when deciding to widing roads fix the infrastructure going forward.

Limpy wrote: »
    Just wondering about Ireland's road infacture with regards to implementing Cycle lanes ect and greenways.

In Europe the roads even in Rural areas have plenty of space between property and road. Here most Rural roads have massive tree's and bushes. Any time its windy they are falling tree's on roads ect. From a safety point of view if you lose control of your car you'll most likely hit a tree instead of stopping in a field.

Why are our roads like this? How do planners overcome this when deciding to widing roads fix the infrastructure going forward.

I think especially in really rural areas, there is actually an easy win to be had by copying Dutch rural roads, councils love to slap down a bit of paint and colour and call it a cycle lane, on rural roads is where that could actually be positive.

DSCF1460.JPG
    Dutch rural roads are 'psychologically narrowed' by red marking along the margins and no centre line, makes drivers go slower, but still allows passing when needed.

Having this done on most of our rural roads could dramatically change safety levels and reduce speeding

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

No problem with early hedge cutting there. :rolleyes:

Having this done on most of our rural roads could dramatically change safety levels and reduce speeding

Seeing how drivers currently use the dashed shared lane sections I doubt it!

• Advertisement

Seeing how drivers currently use the dashed shared lane sections I doubt it!

Well the idea there is that those edges 'arent' where a cyclist is supposed to be, you're visually narrowing the road instead (Irelands 'advisory' cycle lanes don't do this as the surface just has a line on it but colouring is continuous) and the idea is that these would be put on roads that wouldn't ever have a cycle lane in Ireland, not in more congested areas where cars need to be forced out of space for pedestrians and cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Updated the map I made earlier - now it shows the areas that have been sold on but the track-bed is still intact and could be purchased, shown by the red line. I noticed on the Dungarvan greenway , from old satellite imagery, that the line had been dug into fields in a few places, but the greenway hadn't been diverted. I presume the same can be applied here.

What a great success this initiative was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The cycle path had in 2017 been expected to cost €7 million. Last year revised costs of €20 million were published by the council following design changes and the decision to include extensive water mains replacement and new sewerage systems in the project.

Disingenuous headline suggesting the cycleway has spiralling costs, when the increase, and failure to get going, are due to Irish Water tacking sewerage works onto the project, then getting sniffy about paying for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Disingenuous headline suggesting the cycleway has spiralling costs, when the increase, and failure to get going, are due to Irish Water tacking sewerage works onto the project, then getting sniffy about paying for them.

It's always the case. The cycle track by St Anne's park was labelled as a €5m cycle track, whereby most of that €5m went into a complete rebuild of the entire roadway & footpaths, drainage and the installation of a new water main.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It is also a stupid stance for Irish Water to take as this is the best and possibly only opportunity they will get to upgrade their network there for many decades. If the cycle lanes get done, I doubt they will be given a road opening licence here for a long time given they passed up the opportunity to combine with this project. Doing all this full scope of works together would also be a lot cheaper than doing separate projects, particularly if the cycles lanes are done first as that will require a lot more traffic management and reinstatement than digging up the existing road now and putting in cycle lanes on completion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Three state bodies fighting each other.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Three state bodies fighting each other.

Very disappointing. Makes one concerned about the status of the BusConnects Core Bus Corridors, as the NTA decided that they didn't need to do one into the city centre here because of the existence of this project.

Entirely possible that the Malahide road one will be delayed as well, as there's very little point in completing that without having this already done. No point in getting the buses to the worst bottlenecks faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

It's kind of sad that we would all be bowled over if a minister stepped in and just allocated the funding through Irish Water for.thr project and gave the whole thing the green light

Advertisement