Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Chain cleaner gadget sold out before lunchtime in Lidl Rathmines, only 4.99. Can anyone recommend the type of gadget in question, are they worth the purchase at normal price about €20 or thereabouts ta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Anyone know what their base layers are like in Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Lidl in Dundrum had loads of the chain cleaner gadget this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

[Lidl} I just bought the long bib and I'm pleasantly surprised at how good they feel, with a nice light fleece lining the entire leg.. Really good value for €12:99.

I'm also wondering about the quality of the chain cleaner?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Buy that chain cleaner if you are curious about chain cleaners in general. Price is very good and it includes lube and degreaser.

I've owned good quality chain cleaners and given them away. A wipe down with an oily cloth after a ride is all I need. If its wet or dirty, I will wash it with suddy water, dry and then apply a drop of lube to each roller. Turn pedals for a couple of minutes and wipe off again.

Honestly, for some cleaning the drivetrain is a religious experience and you will get many opinions on this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

Popped into Lidl to check out their stuff.

Bought the bib shorts and chain cleaner.
    The shorts are tiny. I got L and I usually wear S. The material seems very cheap and the padding just feels like they threw some cardboard in.
    But I thought the same when I bought the ones they put out last year and they turned out fine.

The jersey for tenner and the glasses for a fiver look like good value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

clog wrote: »
    Team Belkin sell off code BELKINBTS14 for an extra 20% off. Shorts and jersey for £28 inc postage (I could only get them sent to UK though)

http://www.belkin.com/uk/factory-store/

For one reason or another I can't proceed my order the set. If any is is ording could I piggy back on theirs? Medium on both and I'd pp person direct before Order? So anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

[Lidl} I just bought the long bib and I'm pleasantly surprised at how good they feel, with a nice light fleece lining the entire leg.. Really good value for €12:99.

I'm also wondering about the quality of the chain cleaner?.

The padding isn't great though is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Buy that chain cleaner if you are curious about chain cleaners in general. Price is very good and it includes lube and degreaser.

I've owned good quality chain cleaners and given them away. A wipe down with an oily cloth after a ride is all I need. If its wet or dirty, I will wash it with suddy water, dry and then apply a drop of lube to each roller. Turn pedals for a couple of minutes and wipe off again.

Honestly, for some cleaning the drivetrain is a religious experience and you will get many opinions on this...

i use lidl's car alloy cleaner on my drive-train and its so effective. quick spray on the chain/cassette, leave a minute then wipe off. do it once a week and the bike's as new as the day i bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

VR46 wrote: »
    The shorts are tiny. I got L and I usually wear S.
    Tiny for width/tightness, or for bib length?
    The material seems very cheap and the padding just feels like they threw some cardboard in.
    But I thought the same when I bought the ones they put out last year and they turned out fine.
    I assume it's foam/sponge type padding? Be optimistic to hope for gel for 15 quid. I got the Aldi bib tights a while back, how does it compare to those, padding-wise?
    The jersey for tenner and the glasses for a fiver look like good value too.

Think I might get the long-sleeved jersey if there's any left... been getting chilly for August!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Tiny for width/tightness, or for bib length?

I assume it's foam/sponge type padding? Be optimistic to hope for gel for 15 quid. I got the Aldi bib tights a while back, how does it compare to those, padding-wise?

Think I might get the long-sleeved jersey if there's any left... been getting chilly for August!

Don't have the Aldi ones so can't compare. The legs are short but rest of the fit is ok.
    The grip is not very grippy at all.
    Spongey padding, nothing fancy.

Overall not a great pair of shorts but not bad for 15 quid. They'll be fine for short spins.

Don't have the Aldi ones so can't compare. The legs are short but rest of the fit is ok.

Fair enough! Aldi ones are my only middle-aged-man-in-lyrca gear, so they're my only point of comparison! (They were originally rather dearer, but they too are the "spongey" type of padding, so I'm not quite sure what the big difference would be.)

Thought they looked rather short-shorts in the brochure. Turn the fashion cycle, turn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mathie wrote: »
    The padding isn't great though is it?

Well I've a big ol' arse :p

I've been using a pair of I bought from Lidl about five years ago and they're still grand.

Tbh for the price I really can't fault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

i use lidl's car alloy cleaner on my drive-train and its so effective. quick spray on the chain/cassette, leave a minute then wipe off. do it once a week and the bike's as new as the day i bought it.

+1 for the alloy cleaner. Magic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

what are peoples thoughts on the waterproof cycling jacket from lidl?

and the bike lights?
    i had a look at them this morning and thought they were a little big

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Is that available all the time, or just on special?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Is that available all the time, or just on special?

i reckon all the time but i haven't looked beyond my first bottle which hardly has a dent in it after a full summer of obsessively cleaning my new bike.

this is the stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Got the pump (for the price it looks grand, very solid), the bib shorts, jersey, chain cleaner and the glasses. Great value.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dunworth1 wrote: »

The really light one is for cold weather only as you will get drenched from sweat otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

what are peoples thoughts on the waterproof cycling boil in the bag jacket from lidl?

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Sarz91 wrote: »
    If someone wants the Belkin gear and can't get it delivered to Ireland send me a pm. I'm living in the UK and have no problem sending on a few bits and pieces as long as p&p is paid for in advance etc.

Just so people know, I'm not actually going to order anything for anyone. If you want to order something and use my address that's fine but I won't be placing orders myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Chain cleaner gadget sold out before lunchtime in Lidl Rathmines, only 4.99. Can anyone recommend the type of gadget in question, are they worth the purchase at normal price about €20 or thereabouts ta?

Loads in my local LIDL if you want I'll pick one up and send on but tbh they just look like a gimmick you'd be better off with a rag and oil yourself.

Bought the bib shorts and chain cleaner.
    The shorts are tiny. I got L and I usually wear S. The material seems very cheap and the padding just feels like they threw some cardboard in.
    The material does seem very thin, which seems hardly the thing for the way the weather's going at the moment. Nature's way of telling us to pedal faster, I know. Decided to give them a miss. Maybe next spring!

Did buy a pair of the socks, the long-sleeved jersey, which seems grand, and the soft-shell jacket. Not 100% sure about the latter; fit on at waist and especially the long-backed "tail" seems rather loose on me, which I was a little surprised at as I'm fairly skinny chested, but working on a respectable paunch. Maybe it's supposed to work like an "eaves" arrangement! Your shape may obviously vary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭markkelly2

Has anyone seen any bargains on lights this year. I need to get something sorted soon. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Loads in my local LIDL if you want I'll pick one up and send on but tbh they just look like a gimmick you'd be better off with a rag and oil yourself.

Thanks, I'll take your word on it and stick with the rag and oil, cheers again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll take your word on it and stick with the rag and oil, cheers again.

the lidl one does look cheap and not very robust. however, i've a park tools one and find it great. run the chain through it, remove, wipe off, run it rhough again with fresh cleaner and bobs your uncle sparkling chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭Invincible

mossym wrote: »
    the lidl one does look cheap and not very robust. however, i've a park tools one and find it great. run the chain through it, remove, wipe off, run it rhough again with fresh cleaner and bobs your uncle sparkling chain.

Have a park tools one too,gives chain a good scrub, magnet in bottom gathers metal particles, used petrol as cleaning fluid and lubricated chain afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

and the bike lights?
    i had a look at them this morning and thought they were a little big

I got the soft shell one. 18 euro.

It served me well on the commute home with a LS base layer underneath.
    It was lashing down and it kept me snug. I'm not sure how waterproof it is - I don't know if my base layer was covered in sweat or rain :)

Not sure how it'd fare on a longer spin.

It seems like a good backup jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ciaran OHara

markkelly2 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen any bargains on lights this year. I need to get something sorted soon. Thanks in advance.

Just pulled the trigger on this after a bit of research.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CatEye-Volt-300-LED-USB-Headlight-/181497606769?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item2a4219b271

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

markkelly2 wrote: »

I used Merlin last year and bought a Moon X 1300 front and a couple of Lezyne rear lights (Zecto is very good)

There are some nice ones on sale now on their site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement