Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mossym wrote: »
    not sure all would agree there, but those that don't like one always have the other, both nicely priced

Neither would be my first choice but at that price point you probably wont go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Slightly off topic, but is the 105 more durable/appropriate than Ultegra for a newb/someone with no mechanical knowledge?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

godtabh wrote: »
    Pro Carbon Its often on sale for £999

They are pretty much exactly the same price and spec, so really it's down to which frame you prefer. I've been told the Vitus is a lot more stiff and handles better at speed but the Planet-x is more forgiving. So 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other.

Slightly off topic, but is the 105 more durable/appropriate than Ultegra for a newb/someone with no mechanical knowledge?

Not much of a difference in durability or ease of adjustment, just one is smoother and lighter than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

You should have less mechanical problems with Ultegra .Better quality build -less wear etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I've bikes in the shed with both, and find them pretty much equivalent over at least a few years of light use. I've a couple of ultegra bikes with much more miles on them, and they are still going strong - very hard to fault it.

If feeling rich, the Ultegra DI2 is very nice :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I picked up a pair of Mavic Huez shoes over the weekend, €188 with another 10% off with SALE10
    Replaced my old Sidi Techno shoes bought in 92 :)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/mavic-huez-road-shoes/rp-prod120072

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Anyone got a voucher code for Wiggle.co.uk? About to do a £99 purchase so could be edged over the £100 if needs be....

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

brand new shimano 105 5800 full 11 speed groupset for €444.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-105-5800-11-speed-groupset/rp-prod116477

*now out of stock :( but they say they will ship your order when stock arrives so might be worth ordering it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

The device is back in stock and is cheaper than before. Black one is 65e and the white one is 70e. Shipping is a tenner but still amounts to a great bargain. http://goo.gl/4BYTyC

I ordered one of these last week and it arrived this morning. Used! Cable ties snipped. Previous owner's information still on it.

He's 36, 100kg, 190cm tall, used it on Wegenerstraße in Gelsenkirchen.

I'm fairly miffed at Bike24 for sending me a used one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

gaffmaster wrote: »
    I ordered one of these last week and it arrived this morning. Used! Cable ties snipped. Previous owner's information still on it.

He's 36, 100kg, 190cm tall, used it on Wegenerstraße in Gelsenkirchen.

I'm fairly miffed at Bike24 for sending me a used one.

Look closely at the description as it may be described in the small type as a returned/refurbished model.

CJC999 wrote: »
    Look closely at the description as it may be described in the small type as a returned/refurbished model.

Yeah I considered that, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. Here's the page I bought it off:
    https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;menu=1400,1420,1421;product=47704

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Get In There

Yeah I considered that, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. Here's the page I bought it off:
    https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;menu=1400,1420,1421;product=47704

Me and my mate got ours brand new so we had no issue in that regard. So the best course of action would be to complain to bike 24.

Send them an email saying you're surprised as you'd always heard good things and they have a great reputation but this has put you off and you're considering sending it back. They might give you a give fat money off voucher for your next purchases to sweeten you and offer to exchange it for a new one.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Send them an email saying you're surprised as you'd always heard good things and they have a great reputation but this has put you off and you're considering sending it back. They might give you a give fat money off voucher for your next purchases to sweeten you and offer to exchange it for a new one.

Yeah I should have played that card alright, but I emailed them asking what they were going to do to remedy the situation. It's in their court now, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Mine arrived today all brand new. Now attempting to set it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭dakar

kensutz wrote: »
    Mine arrived today all brand new. Now attempting to set it up

Same here, brand new.

dakar wrote: »
    Same here, brand new.

Glad you guys got new ones. They haven't replied to my two emails yet. Anyone got any experience dealing with Bike24? It's my first transaction with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If you're on twitter. Tweet them a complaint telling them you got someone's second hand goods. Companies are usually quick to respond once it's in a public domain. Tag a couple of bike shops and stiftung warentest. (German trading standards equiv.)

I got a reply from Bike24:

"we apologize the dispatch of retoure goods. But unfortunately we are not able to avoid that to 100%.
    We can offer a return to replace or to refund 10€ as a discount for B-ware."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭paddlepop

one is valid 30 june the other 31 july.
    pm if you want it

I got a reply from Bike24:

"we apologize the dispatch of retoure goods. But unfortunately we are not able to avoid that to 100%.
    We can offer a return to replace or to refund 10€ as a discount for B-ware."

Update: They're sending me a new one and when it arrives I can send back the used one. They've provided me with a DHL sticker so I won't have to pay postage. I'm satisfied with that. I'll stop giving out now and get back to the bargains!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Update: They're sending me a new one and when it arrives I can send back the used one. They've provided me with a DHL sticker so I won't have to pay postage. I'm satisfied with that. I'll stop giving out now and get back to the bargains!

Very trusting of them.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Scrappy600 wrote: »

Not really, if they don't receive the other one back they will just charge the CC again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    The germans know we will pay them back, no matter what, even if they didn't give us anything. They will probably expect two units returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kildare75

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-inner-tubes/michelin-a1-airstop-road-short-valve-inner-tube/10781090.html?autocomplete=productsuggestion

add 10 to basket and then use code BRIT

could use parcel motel to save a further euro or 2

just ordered myself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

cheerspal wrote: »
    Garmin out front edge mount. €11.99 in a certain bike shop on the seafront in clontarf.

€32.99 on crc!

Which shop was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Merlin Shimano sale. Some good prices there. Ultegra shifters not as cheap as before but still good prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Zipp 404 Firecrest Clincher Road Rear Wheel for €807
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/zipp-404-firecrest-clincher-road-rear-wheel-2012/rp-prod86939

Looks to be a good price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Get In There

buffalo wrote: »
    Which shop was this?

I want to know this too.. The bryton 20 fits grand with a garmin mount so would be interested in picking up one too if someone can tell us if the shop still has some in stock at that price?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement