Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

throw the game!

which would probably be an improvement in quality over yesterday's performance

I was actually thinking that! better chance of beating the skins than the hawks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Patww79 wrote: »

Hhmm terrible performance last night, just not good enough at all and now the North Title is on the line vs the Vikes next week and based on form we will not win that one.

Packers remind me of Man U. Too slow, too predictable, no punch, no TE to take the big hit 'on the concrete' when the big third down is needed. No spark or urgency about them.

Definitely need a genuine coaching shake up at the end of the season which looks like one game into the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭cosatron

ScummyMan wrote: »
    I'm really trying not to over react, but I think this might be the worst overall performance from us I have ever watched. Pathetic.

The 2002 wildcard game against the Falcons in lambeau was worse. 27~7. Only scored a td in the 3rd quarter. Vick destroyed us on a snowy night. God that was depressing

cosatron wrote: »
    The 2002 wildcard game against the Falcons in lambeau was worse. 27~7. Only scored a td in the 3rd quarter. Vick destroyed us on a snowy night. God that was depressing

No use looking in the past.

Look, Rogers will get out if there are more debacles like last night.

Need.

Upgrade the WRs.. Apart from Cobb nothing there.

Get a forking stud TE,some kernt who can run and catch the ball on the concrete.

Take the pressure off Rogers, otherwise he might get out of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

This debacle is on Ted Thompson and McCarthy.
    TT for ineptitude drafting, McCarthy for play calling.

Packers are at best an 8-8 team that's been able to disguise things behind the 6-0 start.
    These pretenders have no place in the Play Offs

McCarthy knew that the O-Line was weak and that the Cardinals like to blitz.
    He had a run blocking Guard play Tackle duties and could have used him better by trying more Runs.
    He also could have schemed to counter the defenders getting through.
    Where were the Screens, the Quick Reads and Slants?

The scenario last night was: How to beat a fast D that's breaking through your O-Line and getting to your QB?
    I'm pretty sure McCarthy has enough knowledge to figure out some adjustments.
    But I saw little evidence of adjusting.

Yes i know the game was basically out of reach at 17-0, but we have no real pass attack, so hoping that Rodgers gets time, or wishing that Rodgers gets to sandlot a passing attack is not a replacement for a strategy..

jman0war wrote: »

Packers are at best an 8-8 team that's been able to disguise things behind the 6-0 start.
    These pretenders have no place in the Play Offs

My bollox, I say, my bollox, that's what I say about the first sentence.

Second sentence I agree with

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

TT is frequently lauded for building through the draft & keeping the roster relatively consistent YOY.

• Advertisement

Well it was TT's drafting that kept the team exposed as too thin on Tackles and complete bust on the O-Linemen he did draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Patww79 wrote: »

nelsons loss is really showing, we have 0 deep threat, no tight ends worth their salt, our beast rb has disappeared as people can crowd the box now knowing they dont got to go deep. coss is a super second wr but not able to be the man. the o line needs to dedend rodgers for 2-3 more seconds and that isassive. also i am done with matthews at mlb. he was top notch olb now he is a good mlb

One might almost forget that we are one win away from the 6th NFC North title in 11 since Thompson became GM, and 10 since McCarthy became head coach. If they do the 5 in a row it would be a dominance unrivalled since the Bears in the mid 80s.

One might almost forget that we are one win away from the 6th NFC North title in 11 since Thompson became GM, and 10 since McCarthy became head coach. If they do the 5 in a row it would be a dominance unrivalled since the Bears in the mid 80s.
    Sure, but that also speak to the weakness of the Conference.
    I'd rather loose the conference and go to the SB. than win NFC North and be 1 and done in post season.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Whatever happens, I can't see them getting past the Cards in the Divisional play-offs (likely match-up).

Sure, but that also speak to the weakness of the Conference.
    I'd rather loose the conference and go to the SB. than win NFC North and be 1 and done in post season.

Oh I'd rather the NFC Championship to the NFC North too. But the NFC North title is pretty good, there are 3 other teams that would love it. And I don't care how weak the Bears or Vikings are...the point for me is that they are the Bears and Vikings and our biggest rivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Well it was TT's drafting that kept the team exposed as too thin on Tackles and complete bust on the O-Linemen he did draft.

Bakh in round 4, Lang in round 4, Linsley (third rated center in the whole league last year, if I recall) in round 5, feckin' Sitton in round 4. A year ago our offensive line looked like a top 5 unit, and the best 'value' group in the whole league. Busts all 'round, so!

Look, you can criticise him for some things like not supplementing enough with free agents when needed, and for not running over Dom Capers repeatedly with a jeep 3-4 years ago, but if you're saying Ted Thompson is not good at drafting, you are saying nobody in the entire league is good at drafting. He is widely regarded as one of the very best GMs in the whole league, and that is largely on the back of the fact that he drafts better, and more consistently, than anyone else.

He is the single most important person in the entire club, barring Rodgers... who he drafted.

There is no doubt but that TT is conservative, and a firm believer in the idea that Green Bay moulds players to hang on to and who grow into the tradition, it's not the bright lights destination for superstars mid career. For that, we have had some superstars who were ready to embrace that tradition, Reggie White being the most obvious. I think he is not only one of the better GMs, but embodies the tradition of the Packers. I'd be very slow to criticise him. But that doesn't mean he is beyond all question, and there is no denying that things are not great at the moment. But I can live with that, I'll regard the NFC North title as a successful season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭cosatron

Well said billy. I think we have some very good players but due to some injuries and some horrific coaching and play calling, we are not fulfilling our potential but a good draft and a replacements for Bennett, Clements and capers and jordy back, we will be competitive. I'm so jealous of gase and fangio at the bears, it's sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's a little absurd that we've become so used to injuries that there's barely even been a mention that we lead the league in games missed from injury again... http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x151021/ranking-most-banged-nfl-teams-1-32

Look at ours, and scroll down to the likes of the Seahawks, Bengals and Jets at the bottom. I don't remember GB ever having a season remotely like that in terms of injury luck. I thought missing 45-50 games was just an automatic given, yet only 9 teams have hit 40 all season ando nly 6 have exceeded 50. That's depressing.

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's a little absurd that we've become so used to injuries that there's barely even been a mention that we lead the league in games missed from injury again... http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x151021/ranking-most-banged-nfl-teams-1-32

Look at ours, and scroll down to the likes of the Seahawks, Bengals and Jets at the bottom. I don't remember GB ever having a season remotely like that in terms of injury luck. I thought missing 45-50 games was just an automatic given, yet only 9 teams have hit 40 all season ando nly 6 have exceeded 50. That's depressing.

Ok,lookit, next weeks game at Lambeau vs the Vikes.

Mobile QB.. Excellent RB... Good TE in Kyle Rudolph.

Shut those forkers down and loosen the fork up... It's a win.

At Home, go out and boss the game and forget the 'rabbit in the headlights' ****e.

Put a saddle on them and ride them into the tundra.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Siiiiigh.

Least confident I've ever felt in this team heading into the playoffs. At least we're there I guess, 20 other teams would love to be in our position.

Yeah, I don't think the Redskins will fear facing GB in their own pitch one little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

****ing mason crosby had our best tackle of the night. let that sink inin

Yeah, I don't think the Redskins will fear facing GB in their own pitch one little bit.

Have to say though of all the opponents the Packers could have got, maybe their best chance for at least one win is against the Redskins.

Is it me or do the Packers seem slow and sluggish compared to the teams they have met recently?

Eddie Lacy is not the player he was last season

James Starks hesitates and the momentum is gone.

No threat downfield, very very average TEs.

Big changes needed, can't see Rogers putting up with a few more seasons of that stuff, and who would blame him.

Having said that though, Rogers own form is very scary, not the QB Packer fans are familiar with.

If I was asked to sum it up in one word what the state of the organisation was STALE is the word I think covers it best

If I was asked to sum it up in one word what the state of the organisation was STALE is the word I think covers it best

Everything does feel like it in a torpor..... just lethargic.

Asses need to be kicked everywhere before the start of the next season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Billy86 wrote: »

That's from October though not for the whole season.

This is more recent, presume it's accurate.

http://www.mangameslost.com/nfl-regular-season-end-games-missed-due-to-injury-january-4-2016/

One and Done.

what's on our shopping list now?
    -a few receivers
    -a few O-Linemen
    -a TE
    -a RB?
    -a DB?
    -a SS?
    -a MLB?

• Advertisement

One and Done.

what's on our shopping list now?
    -a few receivers
    -a few O-Linemen
    -a TE
    -a RB?
    -a DB?
    -a SS?
    -a MLB?

Jaysus, that's a tough one..me I would say receivers,and I know these guys don't plug in ab initio.

Need big 6'3"+ dudes in there

A stud TE some fcuker who can catch the ball between the numbers like the Gronk,and rumble on!!!

Need to compliment Rogers' talents and I reckon Jordi won't be as good returning.

Most of get out of the 'swamp' we are in and start running down hill again.

Defense is ,for a change , quite good

After all that.... Receiver... That's the issue

Advertisement