Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

Crockett was a welcome addition.
    In my opinion it was his carrying that provided the spark.
    They started changing up play calling at that point too.
    I'd like to see more of him.

But there are huge problems on offense.
    Sluggish play, no passion (except for Crockett).
    It's like they are there to get a paycheck but don't want to over-exert themselves for it.

OL is a major weakness.
    Rodgers generally not throwing well this season.
    WR's dropping passes doesn't help.

It may have been better in the long view to take the loss, miss the Playoffs and start looking at the draft.

Instead, the horror show stays on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

First Te since Finlay to get over 70 yards in a game for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jman0war wrote: »
    It may have been better in the long view to take the loss, miss the Playoffs and start looking at the draft.

Completely agree, as great a comeback as it was to witness I didn't want it to happen. I was quite happy when we were 20-0 down.

I can remember the 80s too well to remember what it was like to miss playoffs all the time and get to look at the draft.

It stunk!

In fact it stayed with me to the point where I'm happy with any season where we go 8-8 or better, and I still think being Division Champs is excellent. I don't like rooting for a loss, it doesn't equate to changes, and even if changes follow they don't equate to success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

You've a better chance of getting better players higher up the draft. But it's not about that - it's about sorting out some complacency that has crept into the team, getting McCarthy back calling the plays rather than Clements, and getting rid of Dom Capers full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭cosatron

Billy86 wrote: »
    You've a better chance of getting better players higher up the draft. But it's not about that - it's about sorting out some complacency that has crept into the team, getting McCarthy back calling the plays rather than Clements, and getting rid of Dom Capers full stop.
    I don't know billy. I never experienced anything like that last night. We're usually on the receiving end. The first half was terrible but in the second half the offence improved and the lions punted 6 times. You just never what could happen.

cosatron wrote: »
    I don't know billy. I never experienced anything like that last night. We're usually on the receiving end. The first half was terrible but in the second half the offence improved and the lions punted 6 times. You just never what could happen.

The Lions are a terrible team this season, we just made them look God-like for the first half. The Power Of Capers, and Clements is quickly catching up to him. McCarthy let him do the play calling to help him get a HC job elsewhere, my guess is few teams would be that interested in him even as an OC at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Ah stop Billy will you, cheering for losses when we're still in contention to win the division, jesus the season is short enough I'd prefer to enjoy wins like last night.

The Packers aren't stupid if we can see there's a problem then so can they, we don't need to lose out for the rest of the year to prove it.

I still feel and hope that we can get hot and go on a playoff run, feck scrapping this year and starting to plan for 10 months time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Ah stop Billy will you, cheering for losses when we're still in contention to win the division, jesus the season is short enough I'd prefer to enjoy wins like last night.

The Packers aren't stupid if we can see there's a problem then so can they, we don't need to lose out for the rest of the year to prove it.

I still feel and hope that we can get hot and go on a playoff run, feck scrapping this year and starting to plan for 10 months time.

As an outsider who genuinely enjoys seeing the packers lose, I agree, ye are going to the playoffs in all probability, you've had a dip in form but last night will probably change things, a win playing badly will change the whole psychology of the team. Q return to your early season form and you're back in Superbowl contention.

And I say that with no pleasure at all.

As an outsider who genuinely enjoys seeing the packers lose, I agree, ye are going to the playoffs in all probability, you've had a dip in form but last night will probably change things, a win playing badly will change the whole psychology of the team. Q return to your early season form and you're back in Superbowl contention.

And I say that with no pleasure at all.

Well said RDS. Can't stop watching the throw. He got some height on it.

Well said RDS. Can't stop watching the throw. He got some height on it.

I just can't believe how badly the lions lionsed it up. The facemask call was dodgy but in real time it was a good call and a stupid move by...Whoever that was... Rodgers had no place to go at that point. Then they set themselves up without Megatron, with two guys defending the sidelines for reasons best known to Jim Caldwell, and nobody in front of the end zone. Rodgers got lots of distance but it's a hail Mary for a reason and I don't think Rodgers deserves much credit for last night.

The other Rodgers, maybe...

I just can't believe how badly the lions lionsed it up. The facemask call was dodgy but in real time it was a good call and a stupid move by...Whoever that was... Rodgers had no place to go at that point. Then they set themselves up without Megatron, with two guys defending the sidelines for reasons best known to Jim Caldwell, and nobody in front of the end zone. Rodgers got lots of distance but it's a hail Mary for a reason and I don't think Rodgers deserves much credit for last night.

The other Rodgers, maybe...

In fairness he did run for a TD and actually made that throw.
    It's huge.

I also watched the game highlights and that INT went through both Jones hands.
    It was a little high but should have been caught.

So i can only think of 1 or 2 poor passes on the night.
    Not bad.

ScummyMan wrote: »

And if we do get to the playoffs, you can all vent your frustrations when about Dom Capers when an intelligent or dual-threat QB destroys us again. And there will be no deep threat in Jordy to help bail us out, or solid playcalling from McCarthy either.

But we'll have made the playoffs, and Capers will keep his position yet again. Or if the defense just completely implodes on itself late on... again. Like last year's NFC Championship game. And the same will happen the year after. And we'll all be sitting around moaning about Dom Capers being the biggest hindrance of one of the greatest QBs of all time's career.

In fairness he did run for a TD and actually made that throw.
    It's huge.

I also watched the game highlights and that INT went through both Jones hands.
    It was a little high but should have been caught.

So i can only think of 1 or 2 poor passes on the night.
    Not bad.

He has a bad game from what I was watching. Might need to look again, but he was struggling. The receivers weren't getting open, to be fair, and tour o line was like wet tissue at times, but he needs to take responsibility when he's bad as well. We're not taking about Dalton or Stafford, expectations are higher from him and he was bad, and has been for several weeks. He'll be better after yesterday I have no doubt, but he shouldn't get a pass for five weeks of bad play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Certainly a rollercoaster this season....

Come on billy jump on the positivity train. Even pat and RDS(closet packer fan) are a small bit optimistic

RDS(closet packer fan)

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

He has a bad game from what I was watching. Might need to look again, but he was struggling. The receivers weren't getting open, to be fair, and tour o line was like wet tissue at times, but he needs to take responsibility when he's bad as well. We're not taking about Dalton or Stafford, expectations are higher from him and he was bad, and has been for several weeks. He'll be better after yesterday I have no doubt, but he shouldn't get a pass for five weeks of bad play.

I agree he's not playing well generally.
    And certainly he's had some poor games, the Bears game being one.
    I don't know if you saw the vid i linked from totalpackers.com

On the night in question, i think he had a fairly poor 1st half.
    But he redeemed himself with some decision making (running for TD) and the hail mary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Billy86 wrote: »
    And if we do get to the playoffs, you can all vent your frustrations when about Dom Capers when an intelligent or dual-threat QB destroys us again. And there will be no deep threat in Jordy to help bail us out, or solid playcalling from McCarthy either.

But we'll have made the playoffs, and Capers will keep his position yet again. Or if the defense just completely implodes on itself late on... again. Like last year's NFC Championship game. And the same will happen the year after. And we'll all be sitting around moaning about Dom Capers being the biggest hindrance of one of the greatest QBs of all time's career.

Think you're being a bit harsh on the defence in last years NFC champ game. Yes they gave up the two TDs late on back to back and also the one in OT but if the offence gets one first down after the late pick, it's over. Up until then they did a great job of hassling an harrying Russell and making him throw picks left, right and centre. The offence and their inability to score TDs on redone possessions and not closing out the game cost us that one last year, no question in my mind.

Seems the expectation is that the Cowboys have nothing to loose and will blitz constantly.

Let's hope some quick outs and audibles are being practiced by GB.

Nice job by the Packers today.
    Things are a lot calmer now that McCarthy is back calling plays.
    Huge day for Lacy.

Aaron Rodgers still not MVP form though.
    I saw a couple poor throws, some poor decisions, but also some good decisions and good throws.
    So it evens out, but we expect more.

Maybe just maybe they've turned a corner and will go on a run now, and win out the remainder.

Huge day for Lacy.

I saw a couple poor throws, some poor decisions, but also some good decisions and good throws.

Maybe just maybe they've turned a corner and will go on a run now, and win out the remainder.

Outside of cobb he really has no special player to fling the ball to, so he is trying to force it, it's not working, With Mccarthy back calling the plays I sm hoping it will all come together since it looks like we will win the division

• Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Huge day for Lacy.

Nice to see McCarthy back play calling - much more stable performance from the offence who seem to have more confidence in that system.

Defence quietly improving especially in the secondary.

Special teams too.

However!!! There's always a however.

This was a win against a team with a declining Q B .

Before we get too carried away Hawks or Panthers would wipe us off the field.

Two tricky games to come def need a win vs Oakland and the Cards game will answer a lot of questions.

Go Packers!!

I actually think the Raiders will cause us more of an issue than the cards tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I actually think the Raiders will cause us more of an issue than the cards tbh

Why do you say that?

Why do you say that?

There defence is stupidly good now days and good defences wreck us. Also Carr and cooper are playing awesome atm

• Advertisement

Good win. Good to see Eddie run hard and the play calling was allot better, Cobb more involved, but the best news is Mike Daniels is after signing a contract extension. So onwards and upwards.

Advertisement