Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Looks like Mercilus suffered a season ending injury. Jeez, the D is playing superbly, but the injuries are at a ridiculous level.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,156 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I wouldn’t be too pessimistic about the game itself…….a win against a good team is a win.

Hopefully the injuries are not serious.

You always get one or two of these kind of games a season…it’s really important to win them.

What would concern me is the red zone efficiency, kicking game,

Great display from AJD.

Kevin King injured again.. ESB injured. These guys just can’t stay healthy

Rogers rusty….Wilson rusty…… However…….I’ll take the W.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭boccers

I wouldn't be worried about Rodgers. I think even that level of performance would have been enough to be KC last night.

The big worry is the injuries keep coming and to big players. It seems as though Gary will maybe be ok and hopefully Jones is just a sprain. Really at this stage with the septic NFC North its possible to rest players and get them 100% for the playoff run but you also want to keep momentum and if possible get the bye.

The really good thing about the last few weeks is the defence. They really are elite at the moment and thats without two of their best three players. If the offence can get motoring and then the defence got Jaire and Z'Darius back I don't see how they would fear any team in the NFL and would have to fancy a good shot at a Superbowl.

It was great to see Metcalf throw the toys out at the end after being shut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Bakhtiari potentially back next week. Expecting a bit of rust given how long he's been out, but that should be a big morale booster for the offence and a big skill step up for the o line.

This game will be difficult, make no mistake about that.

This one will really test the D with Cooke being a serious threat.

Contain him and keep in Cousins chops is the answer……..give them room and time……… bad news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It's a fantastic test to see where the D is. If they can keep Cook quiet then it's another massive step for them. The Vikings aren't up to much but Cook has demolished us on his own in the past.

I agree this will be a great barometer of how far the defence has come especially the run defence and will be a good test for Stokes and Douglas if they can stop or slow Cook with Thielen and Jefferson outside.

Yes, this is true, especially if Cousins is allowed time and space to pick his spot.

What I like best is the way the D is getting to the QB far better that the past few seasons, maybe not always sacks, but hurrying and moving him around .

Third downs down the middle must be minimized because Jefferson or Thielan will roast us if we don’t be ready.

As I predicted so far…..not getting to Cousins…therefore..Thelan Cooke and Jefferson ripping us up.

Jefferson. Three catches 140 yds….

Getting worse…… need a TD on next drive.

• Advertisement

Pack finally ran out of rope…… I wouldn’t be over concerned as I fully expect a win in the return at Lambeau.

As predicted Jefferson,Thielen’ and Cooke nutted us with some miraculous catches and we were the wrong side of refereeing decisions.

Could have won the game if the guy had held on to ball for the last ‘interception’.

Missed FG came back to haunt us…..

Injuries now a real issue and how things pan out after the bye week will be vital.

Rams game next will be most important to avoid any kind of ‘slide’.

This might sound mad but was there anything to be said for MVS stopping on the 1 yard line to enable them use up more time?

I wouldn't be a fan of the suggestion; if we had done so and then got stopped four times from the one (which we have done) MVS would be back to getting death threats from the nutters. Sometimes you just have to take your score and let your D do their job, which they were distinctly unable to do last night.

Crosby looking more and more like he's reached the end of the line, team ravaged by injuries.....I think Brendy has hit the nail on the head; Rams game is hugely important now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

Vikings aren't as bad as there record suggest. they had some very close games. With our injuries it was nice to see the offense get rolling for the first time this year, which bodes well going forward. Our defence was just very unlucky, poor execution, we could've had 4 picks and a fumble recovery. We really missed gray though. His turning into a bit of stud for us, we had no pressure opposite preston smith and it told.

I think the Vikings had timeouts left did they?

The injuries though are actually unbelievable at this stage. They are almost exclusively top class players getting injured which is the bad thing. Jenkins would be another massive loss but maybe could be offset in a way by Bakhtiari returning. The potential list of missing players for the Rams game next week is frightening. No 1 corner, no 1, 4 and possibly no 2 edge rushers, no 1 and 3 running back, no 1 and 2 O linemen, no 1 centre, no 1 scoring tight end and no 2/3 receiver. Its not just the amount of injuries but the people that are injured.

Also Crosby has missed 8 kicks this year which is becoming a big problem to add to the above.

Despite all this I'm actually happy enough with yesterday considering the list of injuries as we saw glimpses of the passing offence again and finally connected on one over the top to MVS for a touchdown and a few reffing decisions going the other way and its probably a win.

Good win by the Pack vs the Rams with a banged up team.

With the bye week it will hopefully give time for the smaller injuries to clear up and the long term ones to improve.

Defence was excellent yet again, special teams ….hmmmm…..Offence ground game good , pass game…room for improvement.

what they need to work on.

Redzone conversion,..when have they converted a two point try last?

Have to up the production there, field goals Wont do especially with Mason not too reliable now.

secondary have to learn to catch the ball, if presented to them…several opportunities missed to kill the game.

Pretty good on penalties, o lines and d lines held up well….

‘The Dagger’ was thrown at the end of the third, I thought it was way too early…….🙄

Usually I'd be firmly on your side with, 'the dagger' at the end of the third....but I was actually entirely relaxed last night. I didn't feel like the Rams looked like coming back at all.

Solid analysis though, would agree with most. Don't think the two point conversion numbers are particularly noteworthy, more concerned with the Crosby issues. Lot of blame going around online for the placeholder again....I'd be more inclined to move on from Crosby than another placeholder. At over $4m a year, he's hardly a cheap option at this point either.

He heh, you are quite right but I would plead years of Packers imploding and losing the game for my pessimism

the 4/ 26 against the Eagles, the Brandon Bostic debacle, the Seahawks ‘Hail Mary’ the Joe Montana to Jerry Rice connection, the being 17-0 up against the Cowboys and Jason Garret a replacement QB bringing the Cowboys back to a win.

Even a game around 1999 in Lambeau which I was at vs the Bears when a field goal to win by Ryan Longwell ….a chip shot,was blocked and a Bears win.

Thats why I am so pessimistic and expect the worst, in Packer games.

Ill have to work on it………

And Jordy right behind him and ready.

A. A bit off topic now, but think they will have to ‘have a look’ at this onside kick business in relation to player welfare.

This kicking the ball to roll along the ground generates, as we saw on Sunday two players launching themselves head first

along the ground to secure the ball.Packer player got a right ‘dunt’ helmet to helmet.

Recipe for serious injury.What the solution is I don’t know but best not wait till someone is paralysed to ‘look’ at it.

• Advertisement

A 4th and 15 play from your own 25 has been proposed as an alternative to an onside kick.

While not quite the spectacle of a good onside kick (which is pretty rare itself), I think it would be a small sacrifice to remove that danger.

Yea that was on Darnell Savage. The Rams player didn't seem to look at the ball at all and just went head first at Savage. Should be some kind of suspension for that. Also saw a clip of Aaron Donald choking Lucas Patrick right in front of the ref and the ref just waving for him to stop and did nothing else.

I thought before this week that Cobb was the answer as a returner but that didn't work out too well so I don't know what they should do now. Maybe hiring from within the coaching staff of one of the worst ST units in the league was a bad idea after all!

Yeah…. That is an alternative ,or something like that, but I would say a bit unfair on the receiving team.

The kick off is a way of putting a ball back into play after a change of possession following a score.

selecting that option kind of gives the one team the advantage I would feel.

A one play attempt to gain 15 and have the ball back would be not as doubtful as the onside kick.

I really don’t know what the answer is, probably along those lines, but it’s a difficult one……….😯

Ok….. bye week done and Packers ‘welcome’ the ears to Lambeau.

Be careful here folks, Packers performances after bye weeks are not stellar, not at all.

This I feel could be a difficult enough game,certainly not just a case of turning up for the Pack.

I would like to see the Packers get on top and establish a lead EARLY.

Produce in the Red Zone

Protect the f football and keep the penalties as low as they can.

Bears need to be hit early and often as given chances they can actually do damage.

could be a slugfest…….what Packers game isn’t?

You can just see Special teams costing this team a superbowl just like in 2014. I don't understand why the Packers have such disregard for ST.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Absolutely, how many points did it cost last night, and it could have been more too. Also, defending the run in general looked very poor on the highlights I watched, poor tackling in general. A couple of weeks to work on it yet I suppose, but a worrying trend.

Just looked over the game…. First impression it was closer than the score suggests.

will need to start faster when the playoffs roll around.

Really owned the clock all through the game

EQ injured again……. Can that guy not stay healthy

Fields will be a very good QB.

Bit of an uneven jerky kind of game.

I'd be of the other side entirely, Bren. Exclude a f*cking atrocious special teams and that game isn't half as close as it looked.

Agree 100% that Fields will be a serious QB though, great mix of arm and legs going on there. Doesn't depend on pure physicality, reads the game well. Already a very good player, could be exceptional.....Will Chicago put enough weapons around him to capitalise on that when we're on the inevitable post AR12 down?

You could indeed be right F, but I’ll have to say if I hadn’t known the result before hand at half time I’d have thought we were

heading for defeat..

Hope W Turner is not too badly injured, otherwise we will have an ‘All Joe’ O line!!!

• Advertisement

Apparently they are hopeful it isn't season ending. Its actually amazing how well the O Line has done considering the injuries. If Bahktiari and Myers come back for the stretch and Turner makes it back as well it will be a big boost.

I would have to agree with Fionn in that without one special teams disaster after another we are talking double scores more than double scores. Would agree with you on Fields though. Can see him winning a lot of games against the Pack post AR12 if the Bears get their house in order.

Advertisement