Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mossy2390

Clisfton will be a loss he was a decent offensive linesman, god knows we need more of them to protect Rodgers. is it possible they might resign him tho under different terms?

i hope driver doesn't go, sure hes old but hes still a damn good receiver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    Chad Clifton cut, now Nick Collins is gone, is Donald Driver the next to say goodbye?

:(
    Really!

Without Chad, Rogers might as well had some cardboard cut-outs of an offensive line for all the protection he got last season.

And o'l man Driver still had plenty left.
    He wasn't the fastest, but like Jennings, he can catch anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

After picking up Nick Perry to play OLB, what's our next need?

Hoping there will be a late pick spent on an RB (or if LaMichael James is available at the end of the 3rd which is doubtful).

Safety and cornerback positions next up followed by sorting out our offensive line somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

You never know I wouldn't put it past Thompson to consider trading up in the second to get some Oline protection.

I would forgo a RB in the early rounds at this point to cover the secondary and Oline, we've enough weapons on off to get the job done also hopeful Stark can pick up the pace with Saine.

You never know I wouldn't put it past Thompson to consider trading up in the second to get some Oline protection.

I would forgo a RB in the early rounds at this point to cover the secondary and Oline, we've enough weapons on off to get the job done also hopeful Stark can pick up the pace with Saine.

True that with regards RB - Alex Green is also meant to be in good shape for the start of training camp and I think he could be a quality player.

• Advertisement

True that with regards RB - Alex Green is also meant to be in good shape for the start of training camp and I think he could be a quality player.

Delighted with what we've done! I thought we would trade up we had too many problems and so many picks to offer teams it was bound to happen.

Might see Woodson in Safety alot more this season give the Casey Hayward a chance to step-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

You guys have probably already seen this. Some big ass Scoreboards being put into Lambeau with a whole new upgrade in other media areas.

http://fox6now.com/2012/05/15/construction-on-huge-lambeau-video-screens-on-schedule/

South Endzone is where I usually sit when I go to games there and the extra addition of seats with the scoreboard totally raises that end up.

Seen that few days ago looks very impressive!! Also adding the the depth of the bowl.

Good to see Driver getting another contract. He's a great route runner and good great hands. Great professional with a positive attitude. If i was to use one word to describe Driver: Great!

Good to see our first rounder getting thrown straight into the first team taking snaps every drill. He's gonna need it to learn a new system. Reports are that he is settling in fine and looking real sharp, his speed and explosiveness being the most impressive things. Its easy to get carried away especially this early but him and Matthews could become a formidable unit.

Also good to see people getting a second chance like Walden. He had a rough end to the season, personally and on the pitch he was muck. He's got a checkered past but has produced s couple of them big games. Bit of an anomaly really but there is something there for him to work with and bring out of himself. I hope the competition drives them all on and pushes our D upto the level it needs to be at.

Bit quiet in here so some talking points from USATODAY.com. Some good, some bad!
    Gary Horton of ESPN's Scouts Inc. nominates Packers WR/KR Randall Cobb as the No. 1 "breakout player" in the NFC North this season.

James Jones is reported to be on the trade block, and Cobb could push Donald Driver for slot receiver duties in training camp. If Cobb's snaps increase at Driver's expense, the Packers offense will add another explosive element in the form of a Percy Harvin-like open-field talent.
    Packers RCB Tramon Williams estimates his troublesome right shoulder is "50 percent," and believes he could be limited in camp.

"They tested my strong arm, which is my left arm, and then the right arm, and my right arm was significantly weaker than my left arm," Williams said. "The nerve might have been firing at maybe 15 percent." Williams played through the injury last season, but it severely limited his effectiveness. Williams' ability to rediscover his past form is critical for Green Bay's pass defense turnaround.
    Packers RB Alex Green appears to have turned the corner in his recovery from ACL surgery.

Green was able to cut freely in outside zone plays during last Thursday's practice. He had no problem running all the routes required from running backs during minicamp. Of a training camp return, Green replied, "That's the plan. That's the goal." The Packers have yet to add a veteran tailback, suggesting there's no concern over Green's rate of recovery.

Good to see Cobb stepping up because Driver is getting on. He's still worth keeping around but need to see a bit of youth come in at WR given he's 37 and it looks like James Jones is on the way out.

Can't wait to see what Alex Green brings to the side too - named him as potentially our most exciting player picked up a couple of drafts ago but he tore his ACL. We've pretty much sucked on the ground with Starks and Grant the last two years and we badly need to improve or teams will just keep getting after Rodgers. Doubt he's going to be the same player but worth a try and good to hear he's doing well in training thus far.

• Advertisement

Good News... Training Camp starts today minus Charlie Peprah.

Not awful news, has been well considered player not special but has been missing all off-season with his own injury problems and with Burnett back and Woodson maybe providing us flexibility in Safety no point having him around taking a rookies spot. Plus if he recovers well and we need him can take him back during the season if he's around.

McCarthy has been in Green Bay all summer, he says he's getting revved up for the season and its the first time he's spent summer up in GB. He's put in an awful lot of wrk and time this off-season and he's been watching all the camps and guys workouts he'll be ready more than ever this off-season.

Great psych out by Mike McCarthy, try rile up some rookies to push hard in camp.
    My recollection of the rookie class coming in here last year [was] you had a group that was sitting on pins and needles. They hadn't gotten a chance to come in during the offseason. They're getting their playbook, and I mean, they were so anxious and so ambitious and knew that their time clock was a lot smaller than in recent years. I thought that brought a lot of enthusiasm and urgency to our training camp last year. I thought it was a key to us having an excellent training camp.

"My concern, frankly, is this rookie class came in here [for spring practice] and things were pretty smooth. … The feel was, this ain't so hard. Pro ball maybe isn't what I thought it was going to be. That's something that will not be the case when we hit the field come tomorrow. Complacency, relaxing, any type of comfort is really not the element that you want as part of your training camp. We'll make sure it doesn't exist."

Not surprised to see Peprah go. More changes to our secondary are beneficial to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

With Burnett still being relatively inexperienced letting Peprah go would seem to indicate that Woodson might be operating more at Safety than is being intimated by Capers and McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭markontap

With Burnett still being relatively inexperienced letting Peprah go would seem to indicate that Woodson might be operating more at Safety than is being intimated by Capers and McCarthy.

There's also M.D. Jennings and McMillan who are in the mix. McMillan could definitely be a long term replacement. Remains to be seen but I'd prefer to keep Woodson at corner. Shields needs to step it up bit time if he's to be moved in from nickel and I'm not sure about Williams' recovery (or lack thereof) from his shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 7 los cules

ive been following the packers since the mid 80's when the sport was 1st shown here in ireland, great team and proud history , glad i found this thread , great info from you guys , roll on the new season GPG !!

markontap wrote: »
    There's also M.D. Jennings and McMillan who are in the mix. McMillan could definitely be a long term replacement. Remains to be seen but I'd prefer to keep Woodson at corner. Shields needs to step it up bit time if he's to be moved in from nickel and I'm not sure about Williams' recovery (or lack thereof) from his shoulder

Looks like Woodson is definitely going to be at safety with M. D Jennings and McMillan fighting it out over the other starting safety spot in nickel defense according to reports.

Just read that the team had a 'blitzing' day yesterday which, as the name suggests, means the defense are trying all sorts of blitz packages in order to improve the QB rush. Considering we were so poor at this last year it's good to see it being over-emphasised as such. I know the QB finding his man was mainly due to our poor secondary but so many times they also had an extra few seconds against our D because we weren't even getting near the QB.

Also Eirk Walden has been banned for one game after assaulting his girlfriend around Thanksgiving last season.

Looks like Woodson is definitely going to be at safety with M. D Jennings and McMillan fighting it out over the other starting safety spot in nickel defense according to reports.

I don't think it'll be as clear cut as playing Safety. Capers is developing as felxible a system to fit him in with more teams playing 3receiver sets and TE becoming a more dominant receiving position the thinking is using Woodson's experience and power to be an impact player by bringing him upto the line to make plays and face the slot receiver. It'll be interesting, I read it described as an hybrid position.

Burnett will be our out and out Safety then its toss up with plenty of guys fighting it out over the next few weeks. The competition for a spot in the secondary come end of August will make each of them better players.

los cules wrote: »
    ive been following the packers since the mid 80's when the sport was 1st shown here in ireland, great team and proud history , glad i found this thread , great info from you guys , roll on the new season GPG !!

Welcome to our little contribution to the Packer Nation.

I think the play-off defeat to the Giants was a massive wake-up call for McCarthy and Thompson, that no matter how brilliant your offense is it can't constantly compensate for a mediocre defense.

It is exciting to witness the intensity and resolve being shown by the club to correct the deficiencies on defense. The draft-picks, the free agency signings and showing Peprah the door has sent out a clear message to the veterans that their roster spots are on the line unless they shape-up and start to tackle.

It may not happen immediately but the prospects of having a dynamic, effective defense, coupled with the NFL's most prolific offense, certainly makes for a thrilling and compelling season to come. GO PACK GO:D

I want to mention something positive on the D from last season just to have some balance in our heads about this coming season and how we have some excellence in our Defence.

Ok so we all now how bad our defense was last season, or was it? Actually yes it was awful, in fact it was the worst in history* * - In yards allowed.

Now lets not get into the specifics of losing teams being more aggresive with their play calling and taking more chances to get back in the game or how McCarthy seems to, in football terms, 'shut up shop' on D once we get a lead.

Back to the positive, 38 turnovers. #1 - In the league. 31 Interceptions and 7 recovered fumbles. This was top of the league numbers for a very poor defense, which makes it more remarkable to fathom how we could allow so many yards.

Now how do we get them type of high quality numbers to crossover on the other page. I believe as we're seeing in camp that more aggressive tackling and increased pass rush pressure will get us solidly up the table. With a great number of tackles and importantly better tackling our chance percentage to stop a runner or receiver will be higher and for a fumble will increase and our yardage allowed will decrease. Likewise adding great depth and quality at OLB, and Perry's good off-season, will give more pressure and presence to the opposing QB's that chances of missed passes and throwaway's will have to increase. I believe both of these will off-set each other nicely and get our best asset, our Offense, back on the pitch as soon as possible.

Bonkers football only seen the first Q... Perry second play of the game gets a lovely bull-rush sack and is called for a ridiculous un-sportsmanlike conduct penalty, along with t he buffalo touchback its going to be a disaster and hurt the game they need to get the referee situation sorted asap.

Not great by our first string; Starks with a fumble and some weak running imo. Rodgers with an INT. Looks like our strength in depth is gonna get challenged this season. I know its only one game but its a good wake up call in live mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I really worry about our O-Line. On the plus side Mark Taylor looked good for that power back role.

Wouldn't mind this happening - from @RapSheet

The #Packers will "probably" sign RB Cedric Benson, a source said. Has gained 1,000 yards the last three seasons. Still just 29

Happy Birthday Packers. 93 years old today.
    93 never looked so good. Happy Birthday Packers!

On August 11, 1919, Curly Lambeau and George Calhoun gathered in the editorial room of the old Green Bay Press-Gazette building and organized a football team. A team that would go on to win 13 World Championships. Your Green Bay Packers.

We think it was a great idea. Go Pack Go!

386778_10151035225330073_1364758706_n.jpg

Wouldn't mind this happening - from @RapSheet

The #Packers will "probably" sign RB Cedric Benson, a source said. Has gained 1,000 yards the last three seasons. Still just 29

Thats Marc Tyler out of the team. Just looking into it more and readin some artcles on cheeseheadtv seems like a mixed bag really; he's great experience and a good inside runner will help us run the clock down and great pass protection. But has an average of 3.8 ypc so not a great runner and most fumbles last 2 seasons so not great ball protection, also will take up much needed carries for Green and Starks. Not to mention a couple of assault charges and DUI's. I hope this settles him down and can get the best out of him god knows we need someone keeping D's honest.

What happened to Ryan Grant, a quick google still shows as unsigned?

His knee has destroyed him, he's no longer that aggressive down hill runner, he looks slow and unsure.

Given Ted Thompson's 'last resort' attitude to signing free agents he must be confident that Cedric Benson can bring something to the team.

McCarthy has reiterated on countless occasions that the Packers are first and foremost a passing team so signing Benson might have as much to do with his blocking skills as the threat of his running ability in keeping the opponents defense honest.

Protecting Rodgers from the pass-rush is the priority if we are to progress to the play-offs.

Given Ted Thompson's 'last resort' attitude to signing free agents he must be confident that Cedric Benson can bring something to the team.

McCarthy has reiterated on countless occasions that the Packers are first and foremost a passing team so signing Benson might have as much to do with his blocking skills as the threat of his running ability in keeping the opponents defense honest.

Protecting Rodgers from the pass-rush is the priority if we are to progress to the play-offs.

Not a bad signing. Probably hasnt got much left in the tank to play a lot of downs with his injury history but he will make a very 3rd down back getting the odd carries here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭markontap

Packers' squad like the walking dead with 21 missing last Saturday's practices and 19 missing Sunday's which was cut short. Tough schedule to start the year with too, have to hope a lot of these resolve quickly. Jennings out with concussion for an unknown period of time, Finley out with a "thigh injury" among many others. Brutal camp so far.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000049179/article/mike-mccarthy-shocked-by-number-of-packers-injuries

I know they are playing the second string a lot, but 2 defeats in 2 pre-seasons, including going down 35-10 to the Browns at Lambeau is a little bit of a concern.

• Advertisement

I know they are playing the second string a lot, but 2 defeats in 2 pre-seasons, including going down 35-10 to the Browns at Lambeau is a little bit of a concern.

We lost to them last year in preseason AFAIR

Advertisement