Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    The Defense has not only been a big disappointment this season it has also been an enigma.:confused:

Whilst the secondary has been generally poor defending the big plays and the pass-rush has been mediocre from the line-backers the D-line has at times held-up very well against the run but at other times it's been woeful.:(

Consistency has been totally lacking - why?!

McCarthy says we have been losing too many one-on-one match-ups - why?!

Certain players have not been able to attain and maintain the level that was expected of them - Neal, Zombo, Hawk, Burnett, Shields, all spring immediately to mind.

Is it too much to hope that the play-off's can create the necessary focus to produce the consistent performances that have been lacking all season?

We were poor against the run last year too. The ultra high-pressure blitzs and LB's making patterns for dropping leave the 1-on-1 matchups as the main def against the run,;as we have players either rushing the oppositions pocket or creating positions for interceptions. As you said we need players to focus more and get tighter to help the run def when the pass isn't on, this also comes down to coaching and training and our overall defensive setup will need to be reflected. That said if we keep playing this way we can create turnovers agaisnt Bree's if that is the match we are looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mossy2390

Flynn was pretty awesome today, must admit i thought we were going to loose with so many big names out and Rodgers sitting it out, the right decision to make of course gotta look at the big picture.

Flynn really stepped up tho and glad we didn't resort to the running game.

so who do you think is going to sign Flynn as starter next season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

mossy2390 wrote: »
    Flynn was pretty awesome today, must admit i thought we were going to loose with so many big names out and Rodgers sitting it out, the right decision to make of course gotta look at the big picture.

Flynn really stepped up tho and glad we didn't resort to the running game.

so who do you think is going to sign Flynn as starter next season?

I dare say a lot of teams will be interested.

Denver is a competent team crying out for someone who can throw a ball.
    Tampa may have a big clear out in the off-season, so thats a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ye allowed the most passing yards in regular season NFL history, breaking our own record we set earlier today.

Thank God for Rodgers and Brady, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mossy2390

I dare say a lot of teams will be interested.

Denver is a competent team crying out for someone who can throw a ball.
    Tampa may have a big clear out in the off-season, so thats a possibility.

suppose it will just go down to who has the most money/Flynn's personal preference.
    Ye allowed the most passing yards in regular season NFL history, breaking our own record we set earlier today.

Thank God for Rodgers and Brady, eh?

thankfully there defense in the redzone is pretty good and they are leading i interceptions so that offsets the yards.

then there is the obvious Rodgers/offense awesomeness

• Advertisement

Ye allowed the most passing yards in regular season NFL history

And this is why I fear the NFC championship will go to the Saints this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

i wouldn't fear the saints in green bay for the simple reason that i don't think the saints will be able for the climate. looking at there schedule, they had 11 dome games, played in green bay in september, and played the jags, panthers, bucs, and titans in outdoor games in fairly good conditions. but one team i do fear are the giants. good defence and eli is dangerous if his in the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

cosatron wrote: »
    i wouldn't fear the saints in green bay for the simple reason that i don't think the saints will be able for the climate. looking at there schedule, they had 11 dome games, played in green bay in september, and played the jags, panthers, bucs, and titans in outdoor games in fairly good conditions. but one team i do fear are the giants. good defence and eli is dangerous if his in the mood.

Beware a week 13 rematch in the divisional, they'll likely handle the Falcons easily enough, are well able for ye, want revenge from earlier this year and can handle the cold weather and bad conditions. Giants are a nightmare of a team to face in the playoffs- strong pass rush, good, well organised defence and a powerful offence with a clutch QB having his best season yet.

I do not want the Giants!

Will take the Falcons or Lions on again.

Clifton should be starting at tackle for his experience so hopefully can get some better pass protection, whoever we face!

Our defence is a microcosm of what makes the NFL such a great sport to watch. One of the best offense in years offset by one of the worst defense in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Our defence is a microcosm of what makes the NFL such a great sport to watch. One of the best offense in years offset by one of the worst defense in years.

I don't think the D is as bad as people make out. Sure they've given up the most yards in history, but the real measures of a D are points allowed and turnovers, and on those points they are more than adequate. 31 interceptions? I mean come on, guys.

Thirty-bleeding-one.

I'd prefer the Falcons. The Giants have done it all, even on the road, while the Lions will fancy having a second shot so soon.

• Advertisement

Great news, Jennings is back and ready to play, no nags or niggles and says he's in great start of season shape.

Also, Starks is looking to get over his knee and ankle injuries to make a big impact. Thankfully we earned that week rest.
    Greg Jennings is absolutely certain he will play in the playoffs. A “huge day” on Wednesday confirmed it for him.

“Whoever we’re playing, I’m on the field,” Jennings said after practice, speaking to reporters for the first time since injuring his knee more than three weeks ago. “No doubt.”

Jennings’ confidence lies in the rehab plan he has gone through with the training staff, which has proceeded as well as he could have expected. He said the target all along was to get the knee in shape for the regular-season finale against Detroit, even though he presumably wouldn’t play if nothing was at stake for the team.

That would allow the bye before the first playoff game to provide a two-week “insurance policy” to clear some mental hurdles, an important consideration for a player who had missed consecutive games only once in his career, and not since Weeks 1 and 2 of the 2007 season. Jennings missed the last three games of this regular season, equaling the total number of games he had missed due to injury in his first five years in the league.

“If I had to play last week, I would have played last week,” Jennings said. “But the more time you get, you try to take advantage of it.”

Jennings was back at practice on Wednesday, the first of the Packers’ two workouts this week. He ran some routes “on air” last week, and on Wednesday he got involved in the competitive drills against defenders. He called it a “huge day.”

“Just to know that I can react and respond to a guy up in my face and still be able to beat the jam, and kick it in another gear when the ball is in the air,” he said. “All that took place today.”

As for that extra gear, Jennings has regularly found it in the playoffs. In seven career postseason games, he has topped 100 yards three times and caught five touchdown passes.

Entering the playoffs with a healed and rested body could mean a big postseason is in store. Jennings had 949 receiving yards and nine touchdowns in 13 regular-season games before being sidelined.

“I was telling the guys it’s really been a blessing in disguise, because late in the season, that’s when the bumps and bruises start to nag and just stay, and you have to fight through everything,” Jennings said. “For myself, I’m as fresh as I’ve been at the end of the season.”

He apparently showed that on the practice field.

“He looked awesome,” said tight end Jermichael Finley, who has come back from a couple of knee injuries already in his young career. “The thing is … he’s got to take that first hit and pop up. It’s all a mind thing, and I think Greg is a strong enough person to handle that. I think he’s going to come back strong.”

Another offensive weapon looking to do the same is running back James Starks, who missed three of the last four regular-season games with ankle and knee injuries.

Starks has not been cleared to practice, yet, but was continuing his rehab. He, along with center Scott Wells and inside linebacker D.J. Smith, did not practice on Wednesday. Head Coach Mike McCarthy declined to comment on any absences or injuries until the next official injury report comes out next week.

Not fully healthy since the Tampa Bay game in Week 11, Starks admitted the second half of the season has been frustrating after he topped 500 rushing yards through the first nine games. But he understands that “this is what counts,” meaning the playoffs, and his position demands that he be at full strength and speed to be successful.

“As a running back in this league, you get hit all the time and you have to make a cut on a dime and make people miss,” Starks said. “All the good running backs in this league that break tackles and all that, you need to be healthy to be productive.”

Fantastic to have our best receiver back for the Giants game!

looking forward to next week, I'm confident we'll do the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

We will not lose to the giants. My mate will have a field day if her team beat us. Also I may of been so confident about thrashing them I joked we'd let flynn do the business for us, hopefully that smart comment won't bite me in the ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Fantastic to have our best receiver back for the Giants game!

looking forward to next week, I'm confident we'll do the business.

After seeing how impressive the G-men were against the Falcons we are going to need a World Champions performance.

To have a fit Jennings, Nelson and Finley is essential with a rock-solid O-line protecting Rodgers. To win we will also need the defense to somehow pressure Manning (probably our biggest challenge!) and the secondary to make some big plays.

Not an a lot to ask!

At least we can rest assured that Lambeau will be as inhospitable as ever:D

to be honest lads, i think we should win, reasons being, the falcons were muck yesterday, matty ice sat in the pocket when the pressure came, whereas rodgers will extend the play with his legs, jennings and starks should be back, eli hasn't faced ballhawks like woodson and williams since we last played them in metlife and won, bj and clay are due big games and aj hawk is improving since his injury, and plus jennings tweeted that revenge is on there mind for 2007 and so far in the play offs, all home teams have won.

Agree with that.

I'd also add that a huge performance from Marshall Newhouse at left tackle is needed (if he plays). despite his massive size, he seems to out muscled and Rogers is put under far more pressure than he should be.

If the pocket holds, Rogers will fire bullets & the Giants have little chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Devastating news for Joe Philbin!
    Jason Wilde of ESPN Wisconsin reported a short time ago that the Packers players have been told that the body of Michael Philbin, son of offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, has been identified. The younger Philbin had been reported missing after last being heard from at 2 a.m. on Sunday and authorities were searching around Oshkosh in hopes of finding him. A body was recovered earlier Monday in Oshkosh.

Our thoughts go out to the Philbin family and the larger Packer family at this time.

Something like this puts football in perspective as only a game!

Really could have an effect on the Packers!

Very sad news. Condolences to the Phillbin family.

The Packer organisation is very much a family and coach McCarthy is very much a family-man so I am sure they are all giving Joe and his family great support.

The Packers have shown they are a team that thrives on adversity and I expect that as a result of this tragedy the team will go out on Sunday and play the game of their lives for Joe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Sad news alright, and an awful way to lose ones life, being trapped under ice of the river if indeed the full reports are true. The whole case is a bit odd though, and will be hard for the family to get over, as its not yet known (from any reports I have seen to date) how he came to be in the river. He was convicted of sexual assault a couple of years ago and served some jail time, so some of the media/opinions are in over drive right now. But what he did or didnt do, its a loss of a son/brother for a family in tragic circumstances.

Very moving watching Mike McCarthy trying to keep his emotions in check when talking about Joe Philbin's loss in the Wednesday media conference.

My admiration of the qualities McCarthy brings to his role continue to grow. I really feel that he is going to have a long and successful dynasty in charge of the Packers.

• Advertisement

So the season ends with a whimper rather than a roar.

I wouldnt feel half as bad had the packers gone down, leaving everything they had out on the pitch, but so much of that performance was in 3rd gear.

Credit to the Giants, the executed well, Green Bay executed very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

So the season ends with a whimper rather than a roar.

I wouldnt feel half as bad had the packers gone down, leaving everything they had out on the pitch, but so much of that performance was in 3rd gear.

Credit to the Giants, the executed well, Green Bay executed very badly.
    they left the ball on the pitch more than anything, what was it? 8 drops and 3 fumble turn overs!

agree with the above. very dissapointing. god we missed cullen jenkins and nick collins badly. the only player that turned up on offence was donald driver, all the other receivers can learn a bit from him, only reciever not to drop a catch, i think! Do guys think that we need a top class running back that can run hard between the tackles to take pressure of aaron and as for the defence.......

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

Desperate game!
    1 int, 3 fumbles and 8 dropped passes?
    They came out as rusty as you'd expect from a Week 1 game.

What was the point of a 15-1 season?

cosatron wrote: »
    Do guys think that we need a top class running back that can run hard between the tackles to take pressure of aaron and as for the defence.......

I could be wrong, but I think we have that already in Ryan Grant
    He's had an relatively poor season though, not getting as many carries as usual, epitomised by that fumble in the 4th quater last night.

I could be wrong, but I think we have that already in Ryan Grant
    He's had an relatively poor season though, not getting as many carries as usual, epitomised by that fumble in the 4th quater last night.

unfortunately for ryan, i don't think his capable of grinding out the hard yards when needed between the tackles, his good when he gets a edge, and for his fumble, he should of went out of bounds, he had the first down

Im disappointed. Downbeat. I'm not as annoyed had they given it everything and lost by a last minute FG, but we were outplayed all game.

This game reinforces what we already know; defenses win you championships!

The Giants D was hungry, vicious and executed. I dont see the turnovers so much as mistakes on our part 2 of the fumbles and at least 3 of the dropped passes were generated by great tackling and timing.

Our D was allover the place, terrible communication, terrible tackling, coverage, pressure. There was so much space between the front and the secondary you could see Manning smiling each time he converted the 3rds. Run def has been poor for 2years now.
    2 notes from the game yesterday and last week: dropped passes and our LT.

Dropped passes % has spike in the last 3weeks whether we had injuries or not both sides of the ball. A factor to dropped passes is a drop in concentration could be complacency. Having a 'belief' that you have caught the ball while its on its way to you rather than making the catch then believing. Not concentrating at the final second, whereas before we've made sure it was caught then celebrated.

The LT position has been a problem area for us, Clifton was a miss previously, but Newhouse been a huge disappointment over the last few weeks also. How many of the sacks have come from his side? We had 4 in this game, 2 at clutch moments very frustrating.

In saying that I have to say well done to Chiefs they played a great game both sides of the ball and made us look ordinary.

Its the monkey off the back and we can push forward and focus on winning the big one. REPEAT!!!

This was a post I posted after the Chiefs game, and much of stands out after last nights game. Cant make excuse for loosing being solely on the dropped passes but how on earth can you explain so many different players at different times? Was it complacency? I dont think so. Lack of 'edge' from lack of serious game time? Should Rodgers have played against the Lions? Who knows! What ifs and all that.

Lucky to keep score at that, needed a few dodgy calls as well.

Terrible performance all round.

But such is life. As events in Joe Philbin's life showed, it is only a game.

In retrospect the writing was on the wall for a Giants victory.

The Packers had shown their full one-dimensional approach to the Giants in their close victory in NY and Coach Coughlin gave a master class in how to learn, adapt and ultimately convincingly out-play Green Bay.

Hopefully this will be a huge learning curve for McCarthy and his staff, who seemed to have become over-complacent that the offense could always overcome the deficiences of the defense, despite all the warning signs. The Giant's have now produced a convincing template for stifling the Packers offense - change is now vital - we need more than a token running game.

The stats don't lie - that is one poor defensive unit.

Ted Thompson is going to have to adapt his beloved Best Available Player draft philosophy to BAP defensive player this year or get a lot more active in free agency.

• Advertisement

one thing that sticks in my mind from sunday was this stat, prior to 2002 we never lost a playoff game at lambeau and since then we've lost 4 of 6 games,
    02- falcons 27-7 loss
    03-seahawks-33-27 win
    04-vikings-31-17 loss
    07-seahawks- 42-20 win
    07- giants- 23-20 loss
    11-giants-37-20 loss
    am i just reading into to this too much or do teams enjoy coming to lambeau. allot of discussion has been going on about the 2 week layoff, but it didn't effect the 49ers, patriots or ravens. and also we didn't have a player rush for 100 yards all year and i think in the playoffs you need a run game. take last year, we wouldn't have won the superbowl without james stark's rushing.

Advertisement