Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Joe Philbin gone to Miami as Head Coach. Fair play to him, after the sadness he's suffered recently he deserved a timely boost considering the job he's done as offensive co-ordinator.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Good luck to him. Maybe Flynn will head there, too? Could be a good fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Good luck to him. Maybe Flynn will head there, too? Could be a good fit.

Franchise tag - Dolphin pick-up - 1st round pick 2013?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Well not much going on too out of hte ordinary.

With Rodgers speaking what we all thought anyway and the playerse themselves not seeming to mind either about either the game or what Rodgers said any other news is something and this headline is another just as unsurprising:

New OC will be Tommy Clements. After 6 years as QB coach its not surprising as McCarthy will like to keep it inhouse and will still call the plays ingame.

Free Agency today. Reckon we will wait till late next week to get Finley on the Franchise Tag either forced or un-forced.

I have a way we could get Finley on a deal and tag Flynn. Greedy and high-risk but huge pay off if we could do it.

I say we offer Finley $3mill salary with performance based incentives to the value of the $5.5, the projected TE salary; show him that we value him but he has to earn that big payday. Tell him he was too inconsistent last year that we aren't going to just tag him straight away, but give him enough and well above to show him we rate him. Leave him hanging to next week see what he comes back with, if it gets icy then just slap the tag on him.

But if he accepts an offer or we negotiate a long-term deal, we could then tag Flynn and trade him off with the eye on the Draft in mind. Unless Finley has made his mind and is looking to take a huge guaranteed contract elsewhere, then all that is useless.

Win-win in this scenario. Highly unlikely but if it comes to the crunch I would just tag Finley and let Flynn walk for free, would be sad to not get anything back after developing his career but we can't afford to loose both for nothing.

All these negotiations, mind-games, second-guessing and weighing up should be interesting, for Packers fans anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

surely the franchise tag money is lower than most players would accept in a long term contract, therefore if it were a long term deal he want more than the 5.5m the franchise tag gives him.

also franchising a QB means a guaranteed $14.5m or so, no team is going to trade for that.

They could split the deal along pro-rata so it will have the same or similar value to him.

It would cost the Packers $14.5mill if they kept him but if a trade was guaranteed then his new contract with another team wouldn't have to have the franchise figures because he wouldnt have the franchise tag with the new team, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

They could split the deal along pro-rata so it will have the same or similar value to him.

It would cost the Packers $14.5mill if they kept him but if a trade was guaranteed then his new contract with another team wouldn't have to have the franchise figures because he wouldnt have the franchise tag with the new team, is that right?

i dont think so, if you franchise tag him he is then guaranteed 14.5m for the year. if you trade him you trade his contract also afaik.

Well now there is a twist in the tale, seems Wells plans to use his free agency to either get a huge contract or walk free. Could we tag him instead of Finley? Yes and no, headaches for Thompson, the joys of off-season.

Well now there is a twist in the tale, seems Wells plans to use his free agency to either get a huge contract or walk free. Could we tag him instead of Finley? Yes and no, headaches for Thompson, the joys of off-season.

I am sure Wells is being (badly) advised by an agent if he thinks he can force Thompson in to giving him a huge contract. Thompson has shown he is tough businessman and he will have a value put on Wells and he sure isn't going to go higher, pro-bowler or not. Wells is going to have to lower his expectations or he will this year's Cullen Jenkins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Great deal for the Packers!
    Packers reached agreement with TE Jermichael Finley on a 2-year, $15 million deal.

Great news, franchise Flynn and trade?

That is a big contract for 2 years, and still gives him the free agency again in his prime. He has the talent and age to become a great and step up just needs the commitment and consistency now, hopefully he can repay the faith!

Tag Flynn and trade for draft picks.

Here is a way around the $14.5mil contract
    Andrew Brandt nationalfootballpost.com
    Rather, they could reach an agreement on compensation – something less than the two first-round picks a signing team would be required to pay the Packers for a franchise-tagged player – and have Flynn sign a long-term deal negotiated with his new team. That deal would take the place of the $14.5 million franchise tag, wiping it off the Packers’ books, and be structured in a way that would reduce the Packers’ cost to next to nothing. Brandt said it would likely use a large roster bonus to be paid by Flynn’s new team, who in turn would be giving Flynn the long-term deal and opportunity to start that he desires.

Seems likely now.

3000 Posts!

funny-sports-pictures-aaron-rodgers1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

3000 Posts!

funny-sports-pictures-aaron-rodgers1.jpg
    *Reads demotivational*

*Reads who poster is*

I see what you did there!

Disappointed to see Wells go. Our Oline is looking weaker and weaker each week. With Myers staying with the Texans and Saturday hardly gonna turn down a reunion with Manning we are looking likely to stick with our draft and develop philosophy. Looks more than likely gonna be taking a gamble with Clifton and see if can get him back at some level next season.

Bit late I know, seems I'm the only one posting here so not much point....

So Jeff Saturday eh.. brilliant, if only for the short term next year or 2. I hope he jumps straight in and starts as if he's been there for years. I think he can offer a real wealth of experience at the highest level, bring in-game value and intelligence to the Line and be an example for the likes of Dietrich-Smith and Sherrod, Lang and Newhouse who need a kcik every so often.

Surely it's time to bring in some to challenge/ back up for woodson? whats he now? 36/37?

Arawn wrote: »
    Surely it's time to bring in some to challenge/ back up for woodson? whats he now? 36/37?

I agree. Definitley need backup there. Talking about age? What about Driver! now on dancing with the stars :D... Definitly gonna see Nelson become our go to guy more often as we did pretty much last year.

We got eaten alive in the secondary last season. Didnt help we had shocking pass rushing number either. Corners currently are in the need, we've got Tramon Williams who is a guranteed starter, Shields getting to grips with the NFL should see him play more this year. Jarrett Bush re-siging isn't gonna make too much waves.
    Nick Collins might never return and hopefully if he does his health is perfect and not taking a chance, for his own sake.

We've so many needs its hard to see where we are gonna go first pick. OLB? CB? DE? a Centre to understudy from Saturday?

I agree. Definitley need backup there. Talking about age? What about Driver! now on dancing with the stars :D... Definitly gonna see Nelson become our go to guy more often as we did pretty much last year.

We got eaten alive in the secondary last season. Didnt help we had shocking pass rushing number either. Corners currently are in the need, we've got Tramon Williams who is a guranteed starter, Shields getting to grips with the NFL should see him play more this year. Jarrett Bush re-siging isn't gonna make too much waves.
    Nick Collins might never return and hopefully if he does his health is perfect and not taking a chance, for his own sake.

We've so many needs its hard to see where we are gonna go first pick. OLB? CB? DE? a Centre to understudy from Saturday?

The problem with our D as i saw it last season our big hitters (matthews hawke) had no bloody help so all other teams had to do was nulify them.

Tbh I'd be happy not taking an offensive player in the draft this year if it helps our D any way at all

• Advertisement

The problem with our D as i saw it last season our big hitters (matthews hawke) had no bloody help so all other teams had to do was nulify them.

Tbh I'd be happy not taking an offensive player in the draft this year if it helps our D any way at all

Our defense definitely needs help, but I really pray we pick up a RB at some stage in the draft.

If I was drafting in order of need it'd be OLB, CB, FS, DE (considering it's being reported we've signed Anthony Hargrove, might drop behind CB and FS in terms of importance), RB, LT..

Rodgers can make average WR's look outstanding as it is, so we don't need all that much in the receiver department. Jennings, Nelson and an in-form Finlay are more than good enough. Add in Cobb who will come on for last season and Driver who will play a bit-part and be a good presence in the side.

But at RB, Grant hasn't done it so far and it's hard viewing when we're 3rd and short and decide to run it because I can't count how many times I've seen the Packers not make it after giving the ball to Grant or Starks. Was hoping Alex Green might do something last season but he was on IR all year. If we want to stop DB's chasing down Rodgers, going to need something here.

It doesnt take much to keep Hawk quiet, he was awful last season.

Our defense definitely needs help, but I really pray we pick up a RB at some stage in the draft.

If I was drafting in order of need it'd be OLB, CB, FS, DE (considering it's being reported we've signed Anthony Hargrove, might drop behind CB and FS in terms of importance), RB, LT..

Looks like Thompson is being very aggressive in FA, a change from recent years. Saturday signed; will be a starter.
    Hargrove signing is a postive he'll definitly be a starter take some pressure off Mathews and create time for Mathews by being quick and aggresive himself.
    Muir signing is strengthening the roster.

The reported interest in Manny Lawson and Tollefson could add experience and strengthen the depth and create competion for places, its good to see but morethan likely just the media putting 1&1 together to add our name to the list of any defensive free agent. I would say there are many an agent using our 'reported interest' as a bargaining tool for a better contract.

We could trade up, not to the Redskins extent but offer up some of our picks to get in the mix for a top DE or RB as UnitedIrishman said. Who would bite?

It doesnt take much to keep Hawk quiet, he was awful last season.

?
    See thats the thing, while not spectacular Hawke does a solid job, which becomes hard when the opposition only has to focus on himself and matthews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Just adding this here for any Green Bay fans who may interested in some merchandise. My ad on Adverts.ie for some Packers jackets. :)

http://www.adverts.ie/1508333

Tough first 4 games to open the season, not worried about giants in november. I think we'll have another very winning season and easily make it to playoffs

We had Saints last year and now the 49ers two tough games for different reasons. I believe we can come out and get a strong win, put a staple down that we are over our playoff flap and show the league that we're ready for redemption. What a way to start the league with one of the toughest tests. Will really see if we're up for another great season. Can't wait!

2012-schedule.jpg

Full schedule here.. Shamlessly robbed from Packers.com :D

Those first 4 games are huge really. SF, I don't think will be as strong as last year however and I'd fancy us against any side at home. The Saints are a bit all over the place at the minute regarding their coaching position and Drew Brees.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mossy2390

i would be really worried about SF and the giants out of all of them, i have a feeling SF could be back stronger than last year it just depends on weather they can manage to put points on the board,

also we need defense, it was shocking last year the only good they did was get plenty of interceptions which saved us in plenty of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BillN

Looks like there will be no Thanksgiving Day game for us. I always hated that game. You have to travel to Detroit, and it is just 4 days after the most recent game. Then about 9 days until the next one. A team can get out of synch that way, as well as invite injury. All in all a decent schedule. I like the 3 home games in December. Wisconsin winter will be our ally.

• Advertisement

Chad Clifton cut, now Nick Collins is gone, is Donald Driver the next to say goodbye?

Advertisement