Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    true. but he didn't stand out as a county standard player might

anyway, the commitment needed for county squads now is crazy.
    you nearly need to be a full time student or working in education

He was playing against a team who were on top for the majority of the game. I think he showed plenty of good movement and scored some good points. I think his biggest weakness will be the lack of pace but he is definitely worth a proper look for senior management.
    He could make a fine target man and his hold up play is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

he didn't make much of an impression on saturday in a club final

I was at the game and he was fantastic. Moy played an ultra defensive style with three players around him anytime the ball was kicked in his direction and he still won nearly every duel be it via being fouled or scoring from play. His movement off the ball is something badly missing in the county forwards play.

McStay has tried multiple big men at full forward without much success ie Kilbride, Donie Shine, Cathal Compton, Enda Smith, Tom Corcoran, Fitzmaurice. Currently he has a 19 year kid in Lennon up there, who admittedly is doing a fine job so far but I don't think we can afford going in against someone like Mayo with a guy that inexperienced given what Mayo did to Comer in his championship debut start.

Even when Moy put the 3 men on him he wasn't fazed.It was great to see him still work hard and fight for everything even though they were down to 14 and getting well beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

rossie1977 wrote: »
    he didn't make much of an impression on saturday in a club final

I was at the game and he was fantastic. Moy played an ultra defensive style with three players around him anytime the ball was kicked in his direction and he still won nearly every duel be it via being fouled or scoring from play. His movement off the ball is something badly missing in the county forwards play.

McStay has tried multiple big men at full forward without much success ie Kilbride, Donie Shine, Cathal Compton, Enda Smith, Tom Corcoran, Fitzmaurice. Currently he has a 19 year kid in Lennon up there, who admittedly is doing a fine job so far but I don't think we can afford going in against someone like Mayo with a guy that inexperienced given what Mayo did to Comer in his championship debut start.
    Personally dont rate Glennon as highly as some obviously. He has only done it against Intermediate club sides. And i didnt think he looked county standard Saturday. How one could say Glennon is more experianced than Lennon is just incorrect as Glennon has one game for the county in micky mouse FBD against Sligo IT does not compare to what Lennon has done thus far. Glennon lacks pace anyway for county and we are more than covered in that department with Lennon, Diarmuid and Harney if needed all who are far superior at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Personally dont rate Glennon as highly as some obviously. He has only done it against Intermediate club sides. And i didnt think he looked county standard Saturday. How one could say Glennon is more experianced than Lennon is just incorrect as Glennon has one game for the county in micky mouse FBD against Sligo IT does not compare to what Lennon has done thus far. Glennon lacks pace anyway for county and we are more than covered in that department with Lennon, Diarmuid and Harney if needed all who are far superior at present.

None of those players are known for their pace and Diarmuid (Murtagh i presume) and Harney aren't full forwards. The Roscommon captain is Intermediate club footballer. Judgement on Glennon can't be made until he is given a decent run on the county team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Glad to see Cian McKeon start at corner forward this weekend .. A player with serious ability

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

Colash wrote: »
    Glad to see Cian McKeon start at corner forward this weekend .. A player with serious ability
    He sure is.
    Will Fergal Lennon be the answer at CHB?

Rossvet wrote: »
    He sure is.
    Will Fergal Lennon be the answer at CHB?

Great player to win a ball and shows for posession alot . I think we need a solid figure at 6 before championship so Mcstay will move around the CHB line a bit over the league

Team just listed for the Down game

None of those players are known for their pace and Diarmuid (Murtagh i presume) and Harney aren't full forwards. The Roscommon captain is Intermediate club footballer. Judgement on Glennon can't be made until he is given a decent run on the county team.
    Their is only one Diarmuid on the Panel so yeah Murtagh. Unfortunately when he wont commit to county when wont get a chance to see him. I am well aware Devanney is with an Intermediate club that wasnt the point i was making, Devanney has proved himself against county standard oppisition for years as i said we have only seen Glennon perform against Intermediate Club players. Anyway thats just my opinion on him i personally dont see why there is such talk about him. I hope i am proved wrong and glad you back him everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

• Advertisement

Have you seen much of Glennon?
    He has shown more than enough in club football to warrant a proper look but seemingly he doesn't want to be involved.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Have you seen much of Glennon?
    He has shown more than enough in club football to warrant a proper look but seemingly he doesn't want to be involved.
    Seen him good few times this year, Oran twice and Fuerty. All Ireland Semi and Final. Agree he is worth a look and as i said hope he is as good as everyone keeps saying but i just dont from the limited times i seen him think  hes better than anything we have.Would love to be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Seen him good few times this year, Oran twice and Fuerty. All Ireland Semi and Final. Agree he is worth a look and as i said hope he is as good as everyone keeps saying but i just dont from the limited times i seen him think hes better than anything we have.Would love to be wrong
    How many full forward target men do Roscommon currently have on the panel? the current full forward is a rookie given his chance during the league but he could be with the U20s this summer instead of the seniors and McStay and co will be left to play a corner forward or a midfielder/half forward such as Cathal Compton at full forward.

Their is only one Diarmuid on the Panel so yeah Murtagh. Unfortunately when he wont commit to county when wont get a chance to see him. I am well aware Devanney is with an Intermediate club that wasnt the point i was making, Devanney has proved himself against county standard oppisition for years as i said we have only seen Glennon perform against Intermediate Club players. Anyway thats just my opinion on him i personally dont see why there is such talk about him. I hope i am proved wrong and glad you back him everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Glad? it was more giving my view on what you posted.

1) Roscommon are not more than covered in that department
    2) Talking him down because he played against only Intermediate club sides when many top county players have played Intermediate football
    3) lack of pace again many top players lack pace, the current footballer of the year is no speed demon
    4) My main point is judgement on Glennon can't be made until he is given a decent run on the county team. If called up to the county team again and he doesn't commit thats his own choice and should be respected for it.

Glad? it was more giving my view on what you posted.

1) Roscommon are not more than covered in that department
    2) Talking him down because he played against only Intermediate club sides when many top county players have played Intermediate football
    3) lack of pace again many top players lack pace, the current footballer of the year is no speed demon
    4) My main point is judgement on Glennon can't be made until he is given a decent run on the county team. If called up to the county team again and he doesn't commit thats his own choice and should be respected for it.
    You do realise Andy Moran is current footballer of the year? One of the fastest players in the country over 5 yards.
    Im not talking him down at all i am been realistic he has barely performed above adverage even at club level and you are blowing him off for one or two decent games against micky mouse oppisition.

You do realise Andy Moran is current footballer of the year? One of the fastest players in the country over 5 yards.
    Im not talking him down at all i am been realistic he has barely performed above adverage even at club level and you are blowing him off for one or two decent games against micky mouse oppisition.
    I do realise and that's why i said he's no speed demon. Andy Moran is more known for his movement quickness of mind than feet. BTW scoring 0-8 against the best in Mayo in the Connacht semi final, 0-9 against the best in Galway in Connacht final and 0-6 in the AI final is more than a decent scoring average for club level.

Mitchells are the best in Mayo and Corofin in Galway. Anyway hopefully if he's called in and commits we will all get a greater look at him. He should be given a chance to see if he's good enough. Hopefully the long season Glaveys had doesn't go against him and management are still open to calling in a few of there players and gives them every chance to shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I do realise and that's why i said he's no speed demon. Andy Moran is more known for his movement quickness of mind than feet. BTW scoring 0-8 against the best in Mayo in the Connacht semi final, 0-9 against the best in Galway in Connacht final and 0-6 in the AI final is more than a decent scoring average for club level.

Ah here....

I'm not dissing Glennon (it's all a moot argument, he hasn't committed Afaik), but a counties Intermediate winners cannot be termed the best in a county.... Are Glavey's the best team Roscommon has to offer? The 2016 senior championship would suggest there are 12 better teams for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Ah here....

I'm not dissing Glennon (it's all a moot argument, he hasn't committed Afaik), but a counties Intermediate winners cannot be termed the best in a county.... Are Glavey's the best team Roscommon has to offer? The 2016 senior championship would suggest there are 12 better teams for instance.

I'm sure he meant the best Intermediate teams in Mayo and Galway...

Anyone at game today?? What happened? I'm.taking that the sending off didn't help!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Terribly flat performance. As disappointing a performance I've ever seen. Surprised that Kilbride was started in place of tadhg unless tadhg was injured?

Very frustrating in comparison to last week. Last week with 10 minutes to go we wanted every ball and worked hard to get into score able positions. That was absent today. We had chances to get back into it today with the penalty and frees but wrong option been taken all day long. Nobody to blame but ourselves. You can't score 7 points and expect to win.

Colash wrote: »
    Anyone at game today?? What happened? I'm.taking that the sending off didn't help!

Kilbride sold out his teammates something shocking. So far off the pace of the game it was unbelievable

Could someone tell me how is kilbride still on the county panel ????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

megadodge wrote: »
    It might seem harsh but I personally never thought he was good enough for county.
    A fine club player, but just that little short of county class.
    At the moment I think he's there in a kind of temporary capacity to help out a struggling midfield area, but he was never a county midfielder in the first place, so I'm not sure what he's supposed to add other than an often indisciplined 'physicality'.

That's what I wrote about Ian Kilbride a few weeks ago and after today's disaster he can never, EVER play for Roscommon again! Getting sent off twice in a few weeks for pure and utter dumbass 'tackles'. Does he ever learn? After the atrocious way he let his club down against Castlebar a few years ago, anybody could see he doesn't have the discipline required for top level sport.

A man behind me said "Donie Smith hasn't started since his black card v Leitrim, yet Ian Kilbride never seems to get dropped". He has a point and it's time he was shown the door.

As for the rest of the team, although they were seriously inconvenienced by the sending off, Down were very, very ordinary and were there for the taking, but Roscommon were so lacking in sharpness and suprisingly some of the more experienced players (Enda Smith mainly) took very panicky options at times when more patience was required.

Roscommon actually won quite a lot of the midfield exchanges, especially breaking ball, but were then very dithery in possession and in fairness the conditions most definitely didn't suit a fast-moving team like Roscommon, but still....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I think Enda Smith needs a rest
    and could we please start Donie Smith in games?

I think Enda Smith needs a rest
    and could we please start Donie Smith in games?

Couldn't agree more.
    Enda looks worn out.
    Awful stuff all round yesterday and management needs to get the finger out and stop selecting lads the whole County knows aren't County footballers.
    Hopefully a lot of the sluggishness and seeming lack of direction, game plan or teamwork is due to heavy training going on.
    If not then we're in bother.

If lads are ****ed from heavy training this early in the year it doesn't bode well for us at all.
    Who shouldn't have started yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I thought starting three 19 year olds was a gamble and so it proved.

Featherston in goal looked nervous and gave away a couple of points. Down seemed to target him physically as well. McKeon starting over Donie Smith when he hadn't played a minute of the league campaign before yesterday.

Finbar Cregg hasn't really shown enough to start and Brian Stack doesn't look fully fit and obviously Kilbride shouldn't be starting these days.

I think we need positional changes too. Enda Smith needs to be further up the field, Daly isn't a wing back and his man killed him for pace yesterday.

I'd have no problem with Featherstone starting bar that blip at the end of the 1st half I think he did fine.
    By all accounts Mckeon is absolutely on fire in training so at some stage you have to let him off the leash.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'd have no problem with Featherstone starting bar that blip at the end of the 1st half I think he did fine.
    By all accounts Mckeon is absolutely on fire in training so at some stage you have to let him off the leash.

Surely the thing to do is bring on a promising young lad in the lady 15/20 minutes first and if he's impressive start him the next day.

On a side note the phrase "flying in training" gives me the shivers as it always sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Advertisement