Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I still think it was remarkable that Roscommon won Connacht beating Galway by nine points and just a kick of a ball from beating a seasoned and experienced team like Mayo without so many players this summer. Namely Ronan Daly,Tom Corcoran,Ciaran Caffekey,Ultan Harney,Niall Daly,Neill Collins,Cathal Cregg,Conor Daly,David Keenan,Cathal Shine Kevin Higgins,Donie Shine am i forgetting a few more? take that amount of players out other panels and how would they do I'd wonder? The 22 point defeat last Monday though was proof if needed that strength in depth and experience was lacking big time. Roscommon will need to gain promotion back to Div one as soon as possible and reach the super 8 if not they will quickly fall behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

a lot of those lads have a bit of physicality
    something we badly miss from the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'd expect 3 or 4 of them to be back involved but majority won't imo for various reasons .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭megadodge

they were a disgrace, why did cregg not start. Same old **** as every other year, two many small fellas, men again boys. syferus will go misssing again for a few more months now with his camera

At least that made me laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Roscommon's U17's are in to the AI final after beating Kerry in the semi-final. Score was 2-15 to 1-13. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Fantastic performance by the under 17s. One thing I noticed was how much bigger physically our lads were, last decade+ we have been producing quite small teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Best team won. Best of luck in the final.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Great result. Sounded like an exciting contest on the radio! Will the final be televised on tg4 or anything? Tickets will be impossible to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

2018 League fixtures provisionally announced.

Sun, 28th January - Roscommon v Meath
    Sat, 3rd February - Tipperary v Roscommon
    Sun, 11th February - Roscommon v Down
    Sun, 25th February - Louth v Roscommon
    Sun, 4th March - Clare v Roscommon
    Sun, 18th March - Roscommon v Cavan
    Sun, 25th March - Roscommon v Cork

Good to have 4 home fixtures and all 4 are certainly away trips we'd want to avoid in the context of promotion. It won't be easy, but I don't think we can complain too much.

Roscommon play winners of New York/Leitrim in Connacht semi final .
    Another favourable draw for Ros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Addle wrote: »

Been watching this, I have to say it is really well done. Essential watching for any Roscommon fan, or GAA followers in general. Management and players come across well in it, fascinating insight into the camp during the buildup to the Connacht Final, and the dressing room before and during. Tonight's episode, presumably including the replay against Mayo, mightn't bring back similar memories!

Our draw in the Championship is very favourable yet again, Super 8 should be on the horizon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Roscommon U16s beat Longford today in the Fr Manning
    Have been really impressed with this bunch of players
    And following the standard of the county minor final you'd have to say we've another few crops of very talented players coming through in the county
    the main threat in the south of the county is rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rosknight

anyone know when the convention is being held.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭LooseCannonUF

rosknight wrote: »

Tonight I heard. I’m from Offaly, but was listening to an Offaly GAA podcast ran by Kevin Egan, who was talking about the Offaly convention held last week. He works with the Roscommon Herald I think. He mentioned that it was on tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jesuisros

rosknight wrote: »
    It was held this evening in the Abbey and the "Special Fixtures Meeting" is on Wednesday evening

In the grand scheme of things, a great year for the senior county footballers, which came to a shuddering halt in the Mayo replay. However, a successful spell for Roscommon should be attainable, given the array of talent at Kevin McStay's disposal. Unfortunately, Neil Collins is staying put in New York and Cian Connolly has decided not to commit for 2018, but the return of the Daly brothers and Cathal Cregg and possibly Peter Domican will definitely be a boost IMO.

A few lads got run outs in challenge games against Offaly and Donegal in the last week and with another one against Westmeath tonight, good to give lads a chance to prove themselves heading into the FBD, which starts against Leitrim on 3rd January.

In the grand scheme of things, a great year for the senior county footballers, which came to a shuddering halt in the Mayo replay. However, a successful spell for Roscommon should be attainable, given the array of talent at Kevin McStay's disposal. Unfortunately, Neil Collins is staying put in New York and Cian Connolly has decided not to commit for 2018, but the return of the Daly brothers and Cathal Cregg and possibly Peter Domican will definitely be a boost IMO.

A few lads got run outs in challenge games against Offaly and Donegal in the last week and with another one against Westmeath tonight, good to give lads a chance to prove themselves heading into the FBD, which starts against Leitrim on 3rd January.

Are the Dalys and Cathal Cregg definitely returning ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Are the Dalys and Cathal Cregg definitely returning ?

That's the word anyway, they all featured against Westmeath last night.

The 3 Dalys have all played some part in the first three challenges so you would assume they are back as is Cathal Cregg. Peter Domican is also back having played the challenges.

The Shines have not been called back so you would assume that's it for their intercounty careers as long as Mcstay is in charge. Neil Collins won't be returning for 2018 which is obviously a big blow. Connolly as someone said is taking the year out.

Aside from that pretty much every player of note is getting a look before the decide on the squad for the league. Andy Glennon who has had a great season with Glaveys and would be ideal full forward for the county team given they have tried and failed spectacularly with about half a dozen big men in that spot since Mcstay took over has again ruled himself out which is a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

A quote from Kevin McStay in the Times today on the return of the 3 Dalys and Cathal Cregg.
    “It was a good conversation and I think they were ready to come back. I think they were missing football and we were missing them. There is no doubt they are good footballers, now they have to get their conditioning right. They are well off in their conditioning. They have to get their form right.”

He also talked about his disappointment in Neil Collins not able to return.
    One of the bigger disappointments has been the inability of Neil Collins to come home and commit to the team,” McStay said.

“He’s started a new job in the [United] States about a month and a half ago. We had a really good conversation about it. He’s heartbroken not to be able to do it, but he has to forge ahead with his career. That’s just the way it is.

“I haven’t given up hope that we’re going to see him sooner rather than later, once he gets a bit of traction over there and maybe he can move his operation back towards Ireland, I don’t know.”

I heard (the source is not the most reliable) that Tom Corcoran and Colin Compton have decided not to commit for 2018. That's a pity as I rate both.

The camera just zoomed in on a person in the crowd holding up a sign in the World Darts semi-final between Michael Van Gerwen and Rob Cross saying - ROS FOR SAM 2018!!

Hup ya boya!!!!

megadodge wrote: »
    The camera just zoomed in on a person in the crowd holding up a sign in the World Darts semi-final between Michael Van Gerwen and Rob Cross saying - ROS FOR SAM 2018!!

Hup ya boya!!!!

Yup seen that. Know the lad and he ain't wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

unless we meet Mayo again and **** in our panses again

Tell him he's a f*cking legend!

Beat Leitrim 2-14 to 1-3 tonight in first fbd game.

Only conceded two points from play (leitrims goal was a penalty) in 70 minutes.

Beat Sligo 3-19 to 2-10 in second round of fbd.

Roscommon were actually leading by 17 points but Sligo scored two goals in injury time

Beat Mayo 0-14 to 0-11 this afternoon on 3rd round of fbd

Played almost entire second half with 14 after Ian Kilbride was sent off for second yellow just after the restart.

• Advertisement

Going well so far, although McStay has been putting out strong teams. Not sure what Leitrim or Sligo were like, but that was an inexperienced Mayo side yesterday.

Advertisement