Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Suckler

pjmn wrote: »
    Harsh comment on goalkeeper above - actually think he's a very good keeper - nothing he or anyone could have done today with those goals.

His kickouts will be the main focus; disastrous but if you have nothing to aim at and little movement on the pitch you can't lay all the blame with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭megadodge

Back to square one. Same sh!t different year.

The Connacht title is close to worthless after a display like that.

It was my worst fear come true, as before the first match I wanted the team to perform. Despite mistakes they did that to a certain extent and they showed pure hunger and determination against a very experienced top side.

But today.... even before the first goal went in, I couldn't believe the complete lack of movement from Roscommon players whenever one of their teammates had the ball. It was mind-blowing stuff. Absolutely nobody wanted the ball!! That's hard to forget and harder to forgive.

They're harsh words, but that sort of bullsh!t display is something I really thought was in the past. If they gave everything they had and lost to a better team, well so be it, but please don't let anybody tell me that was as good as they could do. It's because we know they can do so much better that makes it so hard to take.

From a Mayo perspective, maybe this is the kickstart their season needed. They looked very impressive, but the lack of opposition has to be taken into account. If they can cope with Donaghy there's no reason they can't beat Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Suckler

megadodge wrote: »
    But today.... even before the first goal went in, I couldn't believe the complete lack of movement from Roscommon players whenever one of their teammates had the ball. It was mind-blowing stuff. Absolutely nobody wanted the ball!! That's hard to forget and harder to forgive.

Lack of movement that was highlighted after 20 minutes in the first game, especially in the forwards. Highlighted again today by Frankie Dolan on Shannonside with only 5 minutes having elapsed. Can't believe they didn't learn from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Why aren't Mayo Connaught champions?

It was like watching a different sport to last weekend.

Addle wrote: »
    Why aren't Mayo Connaught champions?

It was like watching a different sport to last weekend.

Games like this just prove how damn hard it is to be consistent at this level. Even Dublin have bad days like the first final last year.

Roscommon will come back stronger, of that I have no doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

they were a disgrace, why did cregg not start. Same old **** as every other year, two many small fellas, men again boys. syferus will go misssing again for a few more months now with his camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

they were a disgrace, why did cregg not start. Same old **** as every other year, two many small fellas, men again boys. syferus will go misssing again for a few more months now with his camera
    if that happens, it was a good result

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

megadodge wrote: »
    Back to square one. Same sh!t different year.

The Connacht title is close to worthless after a display like that.

It was my worst fear come true, as before the first match I wanted the team to perform. Despite mistakes they did that to a certain extent and they showed pure hunger and determination against a very experienced top side.

They're harsh words, but that sort of bullsh!t display is something I really thought was in the past. If they gave everything they had and lost to a better team, well so be it, but please don't let anybody tell me that was as good as they could do. It's because we know they can do so much better that makes it so hard to take.

From a Mayo perspective, maybe this is the kickstart their season needed. They looked very impressive, but the lack of opposition has to be taken into account. If they can cope with Donaghy there's no reason they can't beat Kerry.

Considering how basketball is all about movement off the ball to look for space , screens and players running to 2-3 different spots while others do dummy runs, all in order to receive the ball, rather odd that someone like Liam McHale does not offer some in put to it. Even rugby is all about running at angles and looking for the off load.

Ja Fallon of Galway (played rugby) became very skilled for this. Savage use to make all sorts of unselfish runs in order to get the lads open.

Perhaps one of the few to do anything like that for us was Cregg but he is not around anymore

When the ball went into our Full forward, it was a case of let's hope he can field the ball and beat 2-3 Mayo lads and offer next to zero support. Our corner forwards were none existent.

It all reminds me of the first Galway game last year. Granted the weather in Saltill was horrendous last year but surely on a good day a county could have an accurate long range point scorer in the half forward line who, when the movement is going no where, the ball can be popped back to him from shooting sight to pop over from a far as the semi circle of the box? Anyway, Mayo midfield and centre halves had so many open chances with loads of space to run down the middle and pop it over without a man on him. Instead he would be looking for a pass to get even closer

Anyball that was sent into the corner forwards, Mayo nearly always had a spare man to intercept and beat our Man to the ball. Remarkable when he look at the Goal against Galway with that fantastic long range foot pass and intuitive movement by the goal scorer to receive it. Galway was be wondering W.T.F now

Unless we get a run from someone like Enda Smith who some how does not foul the ball ala Aidan O'Shea, we lack any penetation.

Our wing backs and wing forwards don't seem to remember that they can spread out, hug the line, to receive a kick pass that allows some space to move.

Then again, that is a problem with many teams. Everything seems to be down the middle and players don't trust their ability to land a kick pass to chest level. Lord Ciaran McDonald was a genius for it. Paul Galvin wasn't bad too

After today, Mayo are good enough to beat Kerry. Tyrone went all the way, after several extra time replays when they won their last All Ireland. If they could get Dublin on a rare bad day.....

It is remarkable that the football was done by our back line more than the lads up the field. That is a worry because our backine are defenders for a reason. As for the parting like the Dead sea, well, that is not unusual

Games like this just prove how damn hard it is to be consistent at this level. Even Dublin have bad days like the first final last year.

Roscommon will come back stronger, of that I have no doubt

I like your optisitism but few teams come back from slaughters like that.

This is Castlebar 1999 all over again (remember, after the heroics of 1998)

On Que infighting and more players leaving the panel etc.

All we wanted from them was to stay competitive. Connacht title is worthless. It was a case of who turned up and who was tuned in on the day. Whether it was Mayo against Galway or Galway against us, neither team was tuned up

I dread to kick what Star on his own would have done to us if we had met Kerry

Anyone notice the clapping at 7 (or was it the 15th minute) mark from the Rosie fans yesterday. Didn't really work, few noticed it lol. Andy seemed happy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

km79 wrote: »
    kilns wrote: »
    A dubs supporter and not Mayos biggest fan but this is embarrassing, McStay is so tactically niiave its crazy
    Roscommon opened up through the middle every time

He was a tactical genius this time last week
    He is poor tactically, Mayo forwards are all average and should never be allowed to run riot like that against a top 10 team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Lads, there is no way Mayo are 22 points better than Roscommon. These results happen in football occasionally.

I thought Roscommon looked tired and leggy. Mayo looked fresh. Its odd how fitness works. You'd think it would have been the other way around with the amount of games each have played. But clearly Mayo's fitness is peaking.

Not sure what the situation is with McStay/McHale, but I see yee coming back next year stronger.

Overall you can be proud of this year and don't let one bad result dampen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭paulbok

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Anyone notice the clapping at 7 (or was it the 15th minute) mark from the Rosie fans yesterday. Didn't really work, few noticed it lol. Andy seemed happy too.

It was about the only silver lining from yesterday, the realisation the game was over after 10 minutes knocked that on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

I like your optisitism but few teams come back from slaughters like that.

This is Castlebar 1999 all over again (remember, after the heroics of 1998)

On Que infighting and more players leaving the panel etc.

All we wanted from them was to stay competitive. Connacht title is worthless. It was a case of who turned up and who was tuned in on the day. Whether it was Mayo against Galway or Galway against us, neither team was tuned up

I dread to kick what Star on his own would have done to us if we had met Kerry

In 2009 Kerry went through the back door barely beating teams like Longford and Sligo and arrived in Croker massive underdogs against a Dublin team on fire. Result? A hammering for Dublin every bit as bad as Roscommon got on Sunday. Yet 2 years later The Dubs were champons. In 1993 and 1994 Clare suffered fierce hammerings in the Munster fianl yet were champions in 1995. Even last year Waterford suffered a 20 point drubbing in the Munster final yet a few weeks later took Kilkenny to a replay and threw away a semi-final win.
    The thing is if Donie Smith had missed the free last week we would have spent the Winter thinking we were a top class team. Yesterday was a reality check. We are way off the pace bth in speed and strenght and conditioning. That can be worked on but takes a massive effort by players. I hope they have the stomach for it. If they do this team can become a top 4 side in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

We got a mighty summer out of Roscommon, unfortunately we collapsed yesterday. Mayo wanted blood, and they got it.

The lack of intensity from us, added to the huge intensity from Mayo and AOS absolutely lording it under the high ball created the perfect platform for Mayo. A number of things went their way and they got the goals just when it looked like we were starting to settle into the game. It almost seemed like we were playing with 13 men at times. Diarmuid Murtagh was completely isolated. I thought we gave Mayo far too much space to run at our defence, and by God, they punished us for it.

The Connacht title is undoubtedly tarnished, but I'm proud of what the team did up until yesterday. They're a young group of talented lads, and that is by no means the end of them. Club championship coming up, a chance for them to get it out of their system, clear the decks and start again later in the year. As for Mayo, I hope they go on to do something, they bloody well better after this!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Some lads need to have a chat, Roscommon got relegated, weren't given a hope against Galway, and even to a lesser extent any hope against Mayo by some.
    They hammered Galway to win Connacht on their home patch, they took Mayo to a replay and got Mayo on a day that every bounce went for us, the same as happened against Donegal in 2013 for us.

Thats a young Rossie team, I think McStay can get a lot more out of them, yesterday needs to be wiped out and move on.

Hats off to the fans who stayed to the end, some headed a little after 1/2 time but the bulk waited until the end to show that team the respect they deserved.

Oldira wrote: »
    In 2009 Kerry went through the back door barely beating teams like Longford and Sligo and arrived in Croker massive underdogs against a Dublin team on fire. Result? A hammering for Dublin every bit as bad as Roscommon got on Sunday. Yet 2 years later The Dubs were champons. In 1993 and 1994 Clare suffered fierce hammerings in the Munster fianl yet were champions in 1995. Even last year Waterford suffered a 20 point drubbing in the Munster final yet a few weeks later took Kilkenny to a replay and threw away a semi-final win.
    The thing is if Donie Smith had missed the free last week we would have spent the Winter thinking we were a top class team. Yesterday was a reality check. We are way off the pace bth in speed and strenght and conditioning. That can be worked on but takes a massive effort by players. I hope they have the stomach for it. If they do this team can become a top 4 side in the next couple of years.

Kerry have a history of success at All Ireland level, Roscommon does not. Poor comparison . If Kerry had a night of the long knives in 2009, they could afford to gut that team and start a fresh with new guys. We can't even keep our better players interested and get them to stay on.

Should note that we did come back in 2001, which more or less the same players from 1999 and won Connacht, but in those days Roscommon knew what regular Division 1 football was. And of course, we did come back after the hammering from our friends in Mayo in 2009 (3-18 - 0-07, in Castlebar, for the 10th anniversary of the 1999 massacre) to win Connacht in 2010, but in fairness, many of the lads that day were very young and making debuts (think we were in Division 4 then)

Hurling is irrelevant to football. One man and his dog plays hurling

Like I said, I like your optimism , I hope you are right

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

From an outsider, two main things.

Keep Players: I don't think any County could cope with the turnover you have. It is a joke tbh. That has to change.

S&C: probably a 2 year programme is needed to get close to the level required.

I hope you only do a middling job of both but there are good times ahead if you can do them. The plan should be a fairly simple one. You aren't stuck for footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

I was a neutral watching the game yesterday and felt for Roscommon as they just did not turn up at all - I was at the drawn game and ye were a different team to the one I saw yesterday - one thing that stood out yesterday was how static your team were - Ye were like statues at kick outs - would have hated to be the keeper as he had literally no one wanting the ball - when he hit a few long, your midfield were cleaned out! And when ye did get the ball over the half way line, the forward movement was oldstyle 1970s!

I would love to see ye back next year but the ability to create space and run at the right time for kick outs has to be developed over the winter. The keeper was good at getting the ball teed-up quickly for a restart and then he had nothing to hit - criminal in the modern game however I would put it down to naivety this year - keep the heads up

The Under 17's play Kerry in the Semi Final of the Under 17 next week. Ennis

http://www.gaa.ie/football/gaa-football-all-ireland-u17-competition/kerry-roscommon/1057493/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

Kerry have a history of success at All Ireland level, Roscommon does not. Poor comparison . If Kerry had a night of the long knives in 2009, they could afford to gut that team and start a fresh with new guys. We can't even keep our better players interested and get them to stay on.

Should note that we did come back in 2001, which more or less the same players from 1999 and won Connacht, but in those days Roscommon knew what regular Division 1 football was. And of course, we did come back after the hammering from our friends in Mayo in 2009 (3-18 - 0-07, in Castlebar, for the 10th anniversary of the 1999 massacre) to win Connacht in 2010, but in fairness, many of the lads that day were very young and making debuts (think we were in Division 4 then)

Not optimistic Dan just hopeful that we can get ovwer this drubbing. Donegal got an equally bad hammering by Mayo in 2013 yet the following year beath Dublin to reach the All Ireland final. They are a county that have only 8 provincial titles.
    Yesterday we just collapsed. The weight of expectation has us leaden footed while Mayo had opted for a 15 minute Blitzkrieg from the start to destroy our confidence. In fairness it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Topcat32

A lot more people play checkers than chess too.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    A lot more people play checkers than chess too.

In Ireland? Better get out the tv ratings and attendances

Checkers? Ain't got no time for that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Oldira wrote: »

Not optimistic Dan just hopeful that we can get ovwer this drubbing. Donegal got an equally bad hammering by Mayo in 2013 yet the following year beath Dublin to reach the All Ireland final. They are a county that have only 8 provincial titles.
    Yesterday we just collapsed. The weight of expectation has us leaden footed while Mayo had opted for a 15 minute Blitzkrieg from the start to destroy our confidence. In fairness it worked.
    we failed to put a few scores on the board when it was around 6-2, we had started to stem the tide a bit too.
    then double hop on the first goal not spotted and it was game over.
    we didn't ask any questions of them from kickouts, in attack or challenging them to create chances, they just ran through us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Very disappointing end to an enjoyable journey on Monday. While Mayo really brought everything with them its still hard to understand our total lack of performance. We were a tired looking outfit, no intensity in the tackle, very little direct ball carrying and off the shoulder support play or fighting like ravenous dogs for breaking ball. All hallmarks of the previous 2 games.

As disappointing as it was for us supporters it must be umpteenth times more so for the players who have worked and slogged all year training only to have their bubble burst in such a brutal fashion. Fair play To Mayo they have been a top 2 side for 6 years now and show no apparent signs of letting up.

Big job for management now to keep morale up after such a wipe out but I would like to think this young group will be determined to make up for Mondays performance and come back stronger next year. You only have to look to Mayo who despite bitter disappointment at the top table each year go back training the following winter just as hard looking for that extra 1% that can make the difference. Division 2 football next spring can also give us the springboard to put some wins together and try out new things. Strength and conditioning doesn't happen over night so the young panel can still make massive improvements in that aspect if they have the mind set for it and put their shoulder to the wheel.

Management will have learned a lot too and will know the path forward for this group. Its 16 years since we have put decent runs in championship years back to back so I hope we can push on now and not revert to the mean of recent times.

Anyway lads, thanks for Salthill, thanks for the unbelievable excitement of Croke Park Part 1, keep the heads up, we will all be back supporting ye next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Mcstay is a bluffer, Roscommon will turn on him like they do on all their managers, only a matter of time, I predict it will be after they don't get out of division 2 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Mcstay is a bluffer, Roscommon will turn on him like they do on all their managers, only a matter of time, I predict it will be after they don't get out of division 2 next year.

He looked totally flummoxed on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

stop talking pure rubbish, its not there fault the players **** in their pants when mayo started playing football,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The sideline has to take plenty of the blame for Monday's performance.
    Hopefully they team and management learn from it and we keep progressing next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭blowitupref

yabadabado wrote: »
    The sideline has to take plenty of the blame for Monday's performance.
    Hopefully they team and management learn from it and we keep progressing next year.
    Absolutely the management team and players share a equal blame for that non show last Monday they must both learn to progress further now.

I always have the view when a team get hammered out the gate it says more about the team receiving the beating than the team that are giving it out. Westmeath for example were the same against Dublin this summer. If they were a bit more organized their margin of defeat would be 50% less but a defeat is defeat at the end of day and even though Roscommon gave a good account of themselves the first day v Mayo i don't think many at the beginning of the year would have expected them to get as far as they did this summer and so close to a semi final. Certainly something to build on but Roscommon must retain these young players now and not have a big turn over in panel numbers again in 2018.

Advertisement