Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Rossvet wrote: »
    Surely the thing to do is bring on a promising young lad in the lady 15/20 minutes first and if he's impressive start him the next day.

On a side note the phrase "flying in training" gives me the shivers as it always sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

So on what metric do the management give lads a start?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'd have no problem with Featherstone starting bar that blip at the end of the 1st half I think he did fine.
    By all accounts Mckeon is absolutely on fire in training so at some stage you have to let him off the leash.
    Fetherstone was too slow on kickouts(Lack of movement out the field didnt help him) but you could read a mile away where he was putting it. The Down keepers distribution from the ground and hand was a joy to watch.
    McKeon looked a mile off it yesterday but he is young and should get another chance at some stage. Wasnt the only one who looked off the pace.
    Finbar Cregg is no more a county footballer than Paddy Joe. Was absolutely terrible again yesterday and dont know how he lasted as long as he did.
    Kilroy was terrible aswel especially first half was a small bit better in the 2nd half.
    Best for us were the full back line, Daly,Devanney and Diarmuid tried hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I thought Featherstone did okay for a first start in challenging conditions, bar one brain fart that nearly resulted in a goal and quite possibly should have been a penalty for Down.

Enda Smith probably does need a rest. He started well yesterday but got sloppy with his distribution and decision making as the game went on. We kicked an awful lot of wides and seemed to shoot on sight in the second half with the wind as the team tired.

Donie Smith is and will probably continue to be viewed as an impact sub by McStay, although every week he comes in earlier and earlier.

Think we should play a shadow team for the game against Galway next weekend. Smith, Conor and Ronan Daly, Harney, McKeon, the Creggs are all lads I'd be looking at giving game time to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I thought Featherstone did okay for a first start in challenging conditions, bar one brain fart that nearly resulted in a goal and quite possibly should have been a penalty for Down.

Enda Smith probably does need a rest. He started well yesterday but got sloppy with his distribution and decision making as the game went on. We kicked an awful lot of wides and seemed to shoot on sight in the second half with the wind as the team tired.

Donie Smith is and will probably continue to be viewed as an impact sub by McStay, although every week he comes in earlier and earlier.

Think we should play a shadow team for the game against Galway next weekend. Smith, Conor and Ronan Daly, Harney, McKeon, the Creggs are all lads I'd be looking at giving game time to.

Galway are going to play a second team next weekend as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Galway are going to play a second team next weekend as well.
    Wouldn't be so sure, Kevin Walsh likes picking up early season silverware and has i think only lost one FBD game as Galway manager so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

Two points regarding Enda Smith -

1. If he is rested how is that going to help an already struggling midfield? From kickouts he is our only real threat in the air and at least competes when he doesn't win it clean.

2. Moving him farther up the field is robbing Peter to pay Paul. Basically the same point again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Wouldn't be so sure, Kevin Walsh likes picking up early season silverware and has i think only lost one FBD game as Galway manager so far.

He said on Galway bay FM that there will be a lot of changes next week.

He said on Galway bay FM that there will be a lot of changes next week.
    Will be changes no doubt but i would still expect at least half of Galway 1st choice team to play and for next Sundays team to have a strong spine to it.

megadodge wrote: »

If he is rested how is that going to help an already struggling midfield? From kickouts he is our only real threat in the air and at least competes when he doesn't win it clean.

Agree. I actually think we did a lot better around the middle yesterday than against Tipp, Enda Smith made some good catches, however he rapidly went downhill and started making bad decisions. Ideally, he'd be in at half forward but we are badly stuck for midfielders. What I wouldn't give for a Cathal Shine and Tom Corcoran axis there at 8 and 9, obviously that's pie in the sky stuff though.

I'm really talking about Enda getting a rest next weekend. He'll obviously be a key player for the business end of the league if we're actually going to do anything in this Division.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

As expected a much changed team for the FBD final against Galway on Sunday. Just three of the team that started vs Down, four who started vs Tipperary and five who started against Galway in last year's Connacht final

Still a strong side but I suspect a few are lacking fitness. Cregg looked miles off the pace when brought on against Meath e.g

DWD8zuRW0AA8V4d?format=jpg

• Advertisement

Apart from any Glaveys players getting a run out at least we can get a look at everyone on the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Mullooly off to the States for the summer.
    Well feck that anyway

Rumours that McInerney won't play for the rest of the league due to studies. Brian Stack going in for a scan on an injury.

Good run out today. Defensively we played well in the second half and most of Galways scores came from 50 and 60 yards out. I thought Cathal Cregg and Ciaran Murtagh did enough to start against Louth. The dilemma with Enda Smith continues. He played hell when moved into corner forward but then had to be brought back into midfield after they starting losing control in that sector.

Not Rumours at all and Harney injured again

if they were living in Dublin I'd say they could combine the studies and training
    but its the travelling up and down that really kills you

McInerney is studying medicine if I'm not mistaken. Very hard to expect a lad to commit fully to intercounty when he has that on his plate. Losing 2 lads the calibre of himself and Mullooly would be a problem for any county.

Nice to get the win yesterday, I wasn't at it myself but heard it was a very good match and good to give a few lads game time. Drogheda next Sunday is a huge game now in the context of trying to push for promotion, or even staying up.... Division 2 has been carnage so far and I'm expecting the mayhem to continue. A win against Louth followed with 2 points in Ennis and we'd be there or thereabouts. I'm definitely not counting my chickens though.

As expected Conor and Ronan Daly start after their performances in the FBD final as do Cathal Cregg and Ciaráin Murtagh. Surprised Featherston starts again though.

IMG_20180222_173233_416.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Whatever happened to Donie Shine? Still must only be 27 or 28 but isn't making the Roscommon squad any more unless I'm mistaken. Any particular reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Whatever happened to Donie Shine? Still must only be 27 or 28 but isn't making the Roscommon squad any more unless I'm mistaken. Any particular reason?

Hard to know not for poor club form anyway as he was Clann na Ngaels footballer of the year http://www.clanngaa.ie/news/270-senior-player-of-the-year-2017

He isn't good enough now to be involved imo.

• Advertisement

Shine was top scorer in the Roscommon championship by quite a distance last year and a better long distance free-taker than any player in the current squad.

I think most of the issue is that McStay simply doesn't fancy him and his lack of mobility with the type of game he wants to play. Still though you need an option b and c at intercounty level which Roscommon don't really have in the forward line right now.

Shine wouldn't start for us now and didn't want to be involved. Don't know if that has changed but I doubt it.

He isn't good enough now to be involved imo.
    Won't name them but a good few currently on that Roscommon panel that aren't good enough to be involved. He's as good as his club mate C Lennon. Can play midfield,CHF and FF which is surely a useful player to have around.

Won't name them but a good few currently on that Roscommon panel that aren't good enough to be involved. He's as good as his club mate C Lennon. Can play midfield,CHF and FF which is surely a useful player to have around.

Ciaran Lennon is about 8 years younger than Shine and has loads of potential. Shine would be useful at FF but that's it and I don't think he'd start. He would offer very little at midfield or CHF. Afaik he didn't want to be involved with county set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Ciaran Lennon is about 8 years younger than Shine and has loads of potential. Shine would be useful at FF but that's it and I don't think he'd start. He would offer very little at midfield or CHF. Afaik he didn't want to be involved with county set up.

I always thought Donnie Shine looked like a decent player myself but if he doesn’t want to be involved you can’t force a player to do so. Who knows what he might have going on or perhaps it’s just a case he doesn’t care for the current setup.

Donie Shine was an excellent player for us but I just don't see a place for him in that side now.Its a moot point now anyways.

FWIW I think he'd be a good addition to the panel, whether he doesn't fancy it or McStay doesn't fancy him I don't know. He's easily county standard and is consistently one of Clann na nGael's most important players.

He recently started a family though, I'd say he's happy enough to give intercounty a miss at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

FWIW I think he'd be a good addition to the panel, whether he doesn't fancy it or McStay doesn't fancy him I don't know. He's easily county standard and is consistently one of Clann na nGael's most important players.

He recently started a family though, I'd say he's happy enough to give intercounty a miss at this stage.

No bad blood between Donie Shine and Kevin McStay at all. Don't think intercounty football is his top priority, more important things for him than football in last 18 months. On flipside I don't think Kevin McStay would have him as a nailed on starter, he is excellent from a dead ball but never the most mobile and the game is changing all the time.

Ros are better away from home.
    and we will need to beat Cavan (we always do) and Cork in the Hyde

• Advertisement

Very comfortable today but Louth are nowhere near Division 2 quality so its hard to know what to really take from todays game.

I thought Conor and Ronan Daly played really well and Domican looked like he has been playing regularly last 5 years at this level. Enda Smith was pulled and dragged all afternoon and never once even gave his markers a bad look. Donie Smith and Cathal Compton were brilliant when they came on and allowed Roscommon to push on in the second half.

On the flipside the goalkeeper is still an issue. McManus looked completely out of it when brought on but settled in the second. Cathal Cregg and Ciaran Murtagh both disappointed after playing really well last week. Murtagh especially was back in his own half a little too much and not effecting play.

Advertisement