Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a 'nice guy' or a 'bad guy' ?

Options
  • 31-07-2011 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

I used to be quite chuffed to be told that I was a 'nice guy' but it took me a while to realise that isn't necessarily a good thing. It was one of the reasons for hitting the 'friend-zone' with women far too quickly!

In a recent conversation to try and get my head around the whole situation I was informed that if you are referred to as being a 'nice guy' your a pretty much viewed as a wuss, not a real man and its a turn off for some women! A little harsh I thought!

Exactly what is a 'bad guy'? Is it merely somebody who is a bit arrogant or is it the guy that slaps the women around and sleeps with her friends etc or is that too far in the extreme?

Anyway, how would you categories yourself? or, more interestingly, how are you categorised by others?

Which are you? 159 votes

I'm the 'good guy'
    0% 0 votes
    I'm a 'bad guy'
    100% 159 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

"Nice guy" is quite a subjective term I reckon. I find that the "nice guys" who get stuck in the friend zone are usually the ones who the women don't find physically attractive in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

This thread will probably be full of generalisations about friend zones, bad boys, good guys etc. Most of which have some element of truth and large amounts of BS.

All I can say is that I hope my friends and any women I've been involved with think I'm a good guy. I don't think I've knowingly treated anybody badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I'm neither and i have very little time for anyone who thinks they are either.

Either.

Weird word.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm "the" guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The whole idea that nice guys finish last is a load of cock imo.

You can be a nice person but not be a doormat,there is massive difference between the two however for some unknown reason they are constantly interchanged.

Also,the idea that women go for the "bad boy" over the "good boy" is largely false and I reckon that the majority of women that consciously pick the bad boy are fairly young and learn pretty fast that being treated mean to be kept keen grows old very fast.

There are of course exceptions but of people Ive met or known Id say its largely true.On friend in particular springs to mind.During her youth she had a slew of asshole boyfriends which culminated with having a 2 year relationship with a total douche in her early 20s where he constantly cheated on her and generally treated her badly.

She got married this year to a guy that can only be described as an absolute gentleman however when they started seeing eachother first she was unsure as she thought he was too "nice" to her.Turns out she was just used to being treated like crap so when he did things like buy her flowers for no reason she automatically got suspicious that he had done something.As she got older she realised that it was just something that alot of people do when they love someone.

Not really sure if anything above is relevant to the OP however its my thoughts on it fwiw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Most women look for a bad guy so they can change him into a nice guy. But most women get a nice guy and change him into a bad guy:D.

Only kiddin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Op I'm going to need your definition on both before I lump myself in with one of the camps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I'm what's known as... A Bollôx.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I just try not to be an asshole. I'd be nice to women (well everyone in general) but i wouldn't act like a doormat either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The whole idea that nice guys finish last is a load of cock imo.

You can be a nice person but not be a doormat,there is massive difference between the two however for some unknown reason they are constantly interchanged.

Also,the idea that women go for the "bad boy" over the "good boy" is largely false and I reckon that the majority of women that consciously pick the bad boy are fairly young and learn pretty fast that being treated mean to be kept keen grows old very fast.

There are of course exceptions but of people Ive met or known Id say its largely true.On friend in particular springs to mind.During her youth she had a slew of asshole boyfriends which culminated with having a 2 year relationship with a total douche in her early 20s where he constantly cheated on her and generally treated her badly.

She got married this year to a guy that can only be described as an absolute gentleman however when they started seeing eachother first she was unsure as she thought he was too "nice" to her.Turns out she was just used to being treated like crap so when he did things like buy her flowers for no reason she automatically got suspicious that he had done something.As she got older she realised that it was just something that alot of people do when they love someone.

Not really sure if anything above is relevant to the OP however its my thoughts on it fwiw.

I'm a girl, but I just thought I'd comment to say that I agree wholeheartedly with this post. There are girls (mainly young girls) who go for "bad" guys because there is an element of excitement about it at first, but they quickly realise that there's nothing very attractive about someone who constantly cheats on you or makes you feel bad about yourself. I find that most girls grow out of this type of man very quickly. Of course, there are exceptions, and these tend to be women who just don't know what it's like to be treated well by someone. These are the type of women who probably subconsciously go for bad guys and somehow feel like they deserve to be treated terribly.

However, almost all the girls I know would far prefer to be with someone who treats them well, and is a gentleman. In fact, I'd say I prefer a sort of old-fashioned, mannerly, gentlemanly type of bloke to the "exciting", rough attitude of a bad guy. They're more trouble than they're worth, and to be honest, I couldn't be bothered with that sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A friend of mine ran an experiment to test this theory. For a week he treated all the girls he was interested in like dirt. Sent txts that he couldn't even believe he got away with and it worked. The result was three girls chasing him!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Nice and then a bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Im the orcward peace of stantionary that never fits on the shelf :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I like good men and have always liked good men. I'm going out with a good man now but he swears and drinks beer and stays out late and does naughty things in the bedroom. He's still a good man though. He's just not an alter boy.

Are you saying women like "bad men" as in criminals? Or cheaters? Or men who to run over old people crossing the road? Because I don't know any woman who likes that :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Being 100% honest, depends on who you talk to.

Some think I'm a sound easy going nice guy, others think I'm a complete pr*ck.

Now granted, those who think the latter of me usually have crossed me and treated me badly (very badly I may add) in the past and I don't easily forget these things.

So when they worked their way back into my life and thinking they can get away with the same crap again, I usually ended dumping them right up to their ears in sh*te which usually ended with them coming out very badly from it and they have hated me for it since..

Some may call it childish or whatever, I call it karma.

I'm far from a walkover and will stand my ground, the whole puppy dog eyes, crocodile tears etc very rarely work with me so girls who think I'm a soft touch or pushover usually get a serious shock when they are firmly put back in their place and very few of them like it.

On the other hand, if they are proper true friends of mine, I would go to the ends of the earth to help them and when in a relationship, I treat my other half in the best possible way I can.

Guess you cant please all the people all of the time, not that I ever try :D

Its true that certain girls love a bad guy but then they are usually the ones who are usually treated like dirt and then complain and cry about never being able to find a decent man.. however thankfully they are the minority. I think most girls when they get past a certain age realise that there is a lot more to a relationship than a bit of danger and looks..

Guys are the same though. When younger, its all about t*ts and a*s, who ever has the best is the ones the guys go after. And she usually turns out to be the b*tch who treats guys like dirt. Then they cop on and grow up (well some of them do!! :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

So the two options here appear to be a "nice guy" who is no more than a pathetic wet lettuce who sits in his bedroom and cries, or a "bad guy" who slaps his partner around and cheats on her constantly.

Can I be neither please?

I'm not a "nice guy" or a "bad guy". I'm just a guy, with flaws and foibles and plus points just like every other guy. I try to treat people with respect and manners but at the same time I won't allow myself to be pushed around by bullies. I can be funny, loud, sometimes downright rude. I can be gentle and polite.

I'm not a gentlemen. I don't subscribe to traditional and patriarchal systems of social interaction that limit what I can and can't do in the guise of "gentlemanly" behaviour. I don't expect my partner to by a "lady"; I expect her to be her own woman.

I don't know what this question is asking really, except to try and pigeon-hole men into one of two terrible stereotypes.

Not to mention that in most circles the phrase "nice guy" means something else entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

As corny as it sounds I just try to be myself, I don't go out of my way to appear to be either of the above 2 broad generalisations. Just myself, the good and bad sides which I've lil or no control over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I'm a dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

There's another thread about confidence going at the moment and I think confidence is the key.

Younger women will mistaken cockiness and rudeness as confidence. In reality someone putting on the 'bad guy' vibe may be making up for low self-esteem or other issues. As women get older they learn what truly makes a confident man.

Respect for self and others probably has it's role too.

A man with respect for himself and others would presumably be more attractive to many women.

A man with no respect for himself but respect for others is the guy who goes home crying at how nice guys finish last. Reality is he probably lets people walk all over him and is too scared to make that move from being friend to lover. Not necessarily an attractive trait to most.

A man with respect for himself but no-one else is where younger women are more likely to slip up on when it comes to choices of partner. They'll probably slip into a cocky mode.

A man with no respect for himself or others could be a neurotic mess, thug, drug abuser, loner, lunatic. Sky is the limit for this type of guy.

They're just my random thoughts anyway :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Will wrote: »
    As corny as it sounds I just try to be myself, I don't go out of my way to appear to be either of the above 2 broad generalisations. Just myself, the good and bad sides which I've lil or no control over.

Well I guess thats pretty much all we can do in life! I didn't mean to suggest that men need to go out of their way to slot into and either category.

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote: »
    Well I guess thats pretty much all we can do in life! I didn't mean to suggest that men need to go out of their way to slot into and either category.

I think some guys do, I did when I was younger. Tried being super nice, tried acting the bóllox too. Felt fake after a while despite the "success".

I think some guys do, I did when I was younger. Tried being super nice, tried acting the bóllox too. Felt fake after a while despite the "success".

Where you a fake at being nice or a bóllox? :)

Wasn't being myself by being real nice or being a real sh¡t

Wasn't being myself by being real nice or being a real sh¡t

Yea I done the real nice thing over the years! Mainly out of awkwardness and shyness! Looking back at some instances it is almost cringeworthy!

I try not to do it anymore while still being a nice guy if that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

I'm kind of half and half depending on the time/people involved.

Gotta say though the bad me has definitely gotten a lot more action than the nice me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

py2006 wrote: »
    I used to be quite chuffed to be told that I was a 'nice guy' but it took me a while to realise that isn't necessarily a good thing. It was one of the reasons for hitting the 'friend-zone' with women far too quickly!

In a recent conversation to try and get my head around the whole situation I was informed that if you are referred to as being a 'nice guy' your a pretty much viewed as a wuss, not a real man and its a turn off for some women! A little harsh I thought!

Exactly what is a 'bad guy'? Is it merely somebody who is a bit arrogant or is it the guy that slaps the women around and sleeps with her friends etc or is that too far in the extreme?

Anyway, how would you categories yourself? or, more interestingly, how are you categorised by others?

humans are primal when you get right down to it , thousands if not hundreds of years ago , big tough rough and violent conquering men were the ones which fathered the most kids , nice inofensive guys only got a piece of the action when the rule of law became widespread , whenever you hear a tv report about some scumbag who went to jail , beit a crime boss or just a violent thug , the report nearly always includes details of them having kids , violent men are better at reproducing as women actually deep down are attracted to violent men

thats not to say they eventually want to settle down with a rough guy though , modern civilised society has taught them them otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

irishh_bob wrote: »
    humans are primal when you get right down to it , thousands if not hundreds of years ago , big tough rough and violent conquering men were the ones which fathered the most kids , nice inofensive guys only got a piece of the action when the rule of law became widespread , whenever you hear a tv report about some scumbag who went to jail , beit a crime boss or just a violent thug , the report nearly always includes details of them having kids , violent men are better at reproducing as women actually deep down are attracted to violent men

thats not to say they eventually want to settle down with a rough guy though , modern civilised society has taught them them otherwise

If, thousands of years ago, violent and powerful men fathered more kids it was not because women were attracted to them! It was because women had no choice. In today's society women are not repressing a desire to mate with violent men!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Honestly? Depends on the day and the person. I'm a nice guy usually. I help those who need it, but I'm no pushover. But if people piss me off or take advantage of me, I turn into a total asshole, and I make no apologies for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I absolutely detest what the term 'nice guy' implies these days. It's usually used by melodramatic and self righteous (for lack of a better word) ponces as a weird excuse as to why they are hopeless with the ladies. Being an overly introvert wallflower does not automatically make someone a nice person. You can be quiet, sensitive and frigid and still be a complete ass of a person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I find problems with the distinction too as I selected bad guy in the poll before properly reading the thread. I tend to get on the wrong side of people a lot and get in trouble with the police, don't eat healthily or go to the gym, I'm very rarely politically correct and I hop between jobs. Not mammy material at all but I always have treated women well and never been tagged as a person that treats people poorly in relationships.

I don't think you have to be "the fonze" or Daniel O'Donell, there's definitely a bit of no man's land in between and extremities on both sides.

I think the actual question you're asking is "how well do you treat women?"

Advertisement