Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured A/R/T Boardsies Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

gmackk wrote: »
    Am I mad to be contemplating it?
    Yes. ITB injuries need time and some effort to heal properly, you'll only be setting yourself further back if you do Gael Force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Scholesy1981

got a calf strain in february, done my knee in in the killarney maxi marathon and last weekend in the streets of galway got a hamstring strain so its been a frustrating year, i ran a better 8k in january than i did last week so in terms of progress, its been non existant :mad: im hopin get out for a gallop this evening or tomorrow and try get going again, longford half sunday week so need to recover asap! its all too easy to comfort eat and drink, tell me bout it, im typing this while nursin a ragin hangover, but i find i keep myself ticking over doing cross training, particularly cycling and swimming, not the same but psychology i find once im doing somethin to offset the downside then im keeping my sanity, somewhat, intact! 5 or 6 races left this year and then intend on takin few weeks off in the winter and go hell for leather trying get load strength work done and hopefully have a good year next year coz this year is turning into a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good advice - thanks
    Went for short run last night, knee still an issue - so RICE'ing for a few days
    Some feedback here btw - which would be good advice for most people I would guess since we have all done it..

I went back running too soon after my small knee issue - if I had left it alone and taken 5 or so days off [not 3, which I did] I would be back running already, all good...

Since I went back on it too soon, it will be the end of the week [at the earliest] before Im back running properly - since Im basically back at square one. :o

So if you told to take a week off, do that, dont translate as "the rest of this week" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

gmackk wrote: »
    Boarders,

Done a really big event over the Aug Bank Holiday weekend- about 40k running and 180k cycling. I got a really bad pain on the outside of my knee about 10hrs into the event but struggled on until the end. Everyone (about 2 people) told me that I had damaged/pulled/injured my iliotibial band. The physio I went to didnt exactly confirm this for me. My knee was sore for a bit and walking was painful for approx 1 week or 9 days. I went for a 1 mile run yesterday, Saturday and the knee held up pretty well- it started to feel a bit tight just above the knee cap but overall it was ok. I went golfing today and about midway through the pain came back. I am booked in to do Gaelforce West next weekend, just wondering what ye think? Am I mad to be contemplating it?

Gael force is a pretty big event and tough on the joints , you'd wanna be fairly sure where your at with your injury or injury free to go and do it . I did it last year with an injury and it cost me alot of time out .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Move over on the bench.:-(
    I followed this thread from the start but hoped that I wouldnt qualify to actually post.
    7 weeks with a partial tear of Achilles. Long way to go yet. Am finally walking without a limp - on the flat.
    Have pretty good running technique - almost doing the proper chi running thing but had not adopted the essence of it and do CHi walking. It instantly takes about 80% of the pressure off the tendon but it feels so strange that I havent managed to make it my usual walk yet.
    I guess that I am almost ready to start building up walking distance in the hope that when I get to run, that I will be able to build up a little quicker than snail pace.
    On the good news front .... the carb loading is going well - for my next event , er probably next year :o

Am finding it very difficult , especially not having time to think. I feel like my head is going to explode trying to process things when I go to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BrendanCro

BrendanCro wrote: »
    exactly 3.5 miles from my house I ran into a pothole and fecked my ankle ........... (hopefully) hitting the roads by Thursday!

I foolishly expected to be back running a week ago but ankle still doesnt feel right :( haven't been able to fit physio in around study so trusting the dont run for a few weeks and feel better soon approach! Cycling and core work to keep the fitness up but its just not the same and 10 miler is outta the question on Saturday - gonna have to squeeze physio in this week and find out just whats wrong! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭oceanfish2008

After a few years of casual running i.e the odd 10k a week I decided in the New Year to do some serious training. I entered a 10k and 1/2 marathon in May. Just as I got my miles up I got IT band problems and missed both races. after a few weeks went to physio who sorted it out and gave me exercises and stretches to do, which I followed religiously. Eventually I started training again, still doing the stretches although the strength training took a bit of a back seat as my mileage went up. Figured the IT band problems were behind me so I entered the Adidas race series as something to aim for with the marathon being the ultimate goal. I even kept up training on holidays for a month. Got out to do my 16 mile LSR on Sunday and now my IT band is fecked again. Kicked in at 12 miles but I finished the 16 anyway. Will visit the physio this week but I suspect the 10mile is out on Friday for me and probably the rest of the series. I've given practically my whole year to this and its been a complete and utter waste of time. Every race I've entered I can't do because of injury. Everyone around me seems to have no problems and fly through races and training. Its obviously not for me. feel like packing it all in completely. As much as I love running this crap with constant injury is too much.

So fcuking pi**ed off........

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭specialk1977

I feel your pain ocean 2008..Ive been in training since Feb nad nearly every race that I have paid entry for I could not make due to injury. My latest is a hamstring strain which happened last week,after a week of not running I went out and tested the waters..not a good idea..ran about a mile and back to sqare 1 hobbling around de place..I feel like Ive really let myself down,and Im just hoping that ill be able to do Dublin...Ill be sickened if I couldnt..So now Im gonna have a sausage sandwich because i was so good diet wise I feel that sure my leg is fecked sure why not treat myself..:D:D..Fingers crossed that we will be back in running form within the next few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭oceanfish2008

Thanks specialk1977 hope you get back soon too

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

3 weeks away from Galway 70.3 and i get injured, talk about bad timing.

Fell at the weekend and sprained my wrist and chipped a bone in my finger. Strapped up at the moment and doc says recovery of 3/4 weeks, not good.
    I was expecting some recovery by now, but pain is as bad if not worse today.

Anyone here have a sprained wrist previously? How long of a recovery?

Also, what is the rule around strapping during the swim leg? is it allowed?

Starting to worry and get depressed now with Galway so close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭specialk1977

can anyone suggest an alternative excercise to do while Im out with a hamstring strain..need to keep up some bit of fitness..Any ideas..Cheers:)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

can anyone suggest an alternative excercise to do while Im out with a hamstring strain..need to keep up some bit of fitness..Any ideas..Cheers:)

Maybe swim - use a pull buoy so that you're not straining the hamstring and don't kick away from the wall with your injured leg?

Has anyone left the injury bench yet?

Its my birthday tomorrow and I am going to celebrate by visualising my favourite run. Its as close as I will get.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

I have just joined it!!:mad: Pulled a calf muscle last night at club training. It's not too bad but means no running for a week at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

BrendanCro wrote: »
    I foolishly expected to be back running a week ago but ankle still doesnt feel right :( haven't been able to fit physio in around study so trusting the dont run for a few weeks and feel better soon approach! Cycling and core work to keep the fitness up but its just not the same and 10 miler is outta the question on Saturday - gonna have to squeeze physio in this week and find out just whats wrong! :(

sounds like deja vu to me altho im blaming the dog for stepping in the pothole, whats your excuse?!

if you were as bad as me (made ****e of ankle ligaments & strained achilles tendon) you would have made time for physio by now! i was out for 6 weeks. swimming is supposed to be good for it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BrendanCro

bluestone wrote: »
    sounds like deja vu to me altho im blaming the dog for stepping in the pothole, whats your excuse?!

if you were as bad as me (made ****e of ankle ligaments & strained achilles tendon) you would have made time for physio by now! i was out for 6 weeks. swimming is supposed to be good for it as well

I'm blaming the car that beeped and made me turn to look at where the noise was coming from.

For me its not sore at all now until I try run and can feel it - could run through but dont wanna risk it. Problem with physio is it is miles from library where im studying and less than 2 weeks till exams so time = at a premium.

Really enjoying the cycling now but looking forward to getting back running though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Spunderbungle

Bad dose of shin splints. Physio says best case scenario out for 2 weeks, worst case scenario, it's a stress fracture and a matter of months.

Missed the 10 mile today - only ran one of the five summer races I had signed up to this year :(

Might not be able for the DCM :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Just when I thought I might getting somewhere with training, I'm back on the injured bench :( Lower back is seriously uncomfortable. Off to the physio this evening for me.

One step forward, two steps back.

Please tell me we are losing more runners than we are gaining:eek:.

I reckon I am looking at another 2-3 months before I jog. Phew. I am almost losing the will to live at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Bad dose of shin splints. Physio says best case scenario out for 2 weeks, worst case scenario, it's a stress fracture and a matter of months.

Missed the 10 mile today - only ran one of the five summer races I had signed up to this year :(

Might not be able for the DCM :mad::mad:

Stay positive. If it is two weeks then you are ok ... that's not a disaster if you have a solid base already set up. Check with the physio to see if there is any cross training that you could do to keep the fitness level up (swiming?). Assume that this is just a blip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

I reckon I am looking at another 2-3 months before I jog. Phew. I am almost losing the will to live at this point

With your injury and hunnymonsters, I feel like a wus complaining about my aches :o As tough as it is at time, keep the chin up :)

RubyK wrote: »
    Just when I thought I might getting somewhere with training, I'm back on the injured bench :( Lower back is seriously uncomfortable. Off to the physio this evening for me.

One step forward, two steps back.

Sorry to hear that .... but really it is two steps forward, maybe one back. Your last log entries looked pretty positive given what you've been through. It is probably not a surprise to pick up a few niggles when you start up again and the body readjusts. Hopefully physio will sort it out.
    Please tell me we are losing more runners than we are gaining.

Popular thread alright. I brought disaster on myself by tempting fate. Was on a run with a guy the week before and he asks me if I got injured. "Ah ... no... luckily I'm pretty resilient if I don't do anything stupid" ..... that was six weeks ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Hi guys, having been dropping in on this thread from time to time but am hoping this is only going to be a quick visit myself. I seem to have aggravated an old injury from earlier in the year. Have been sticking to HH N1 religiously, repeating the first 3 weeks, and with a couple of weeks prep beforehand.

Only running last two years or so, and am still learning as I go, but unfortunately picked up an ankle injury earlier in the year, probably (foolishly) from over training and (naively) from not changing my shoes earlier.

Anyway, felt a sharp pain towards end of 12m lsr weekend before last but was able to finish, and have completed all runs since including 14 lsr last weekend with no obvious pain. But did 3m tues with some discomfort and 7 wed morning with significant discomfort. Ankle was then sore after run on Wednesday morning.

So....skipped Thursday 4m and am planning on rest today and tomorrow and replacing 10m with cross training on Sunday morning. Probably replace midweek runs with cross training next week but will be hoping to do my 15lsr that weekend, at an extremely slow pace if possible.

Very anxious though, the last time I had this problem I kept running on it - not realising it was the start of a proper injury rather then a strain, and had to walk home. The thing is, that time it was no problem to walk on, only to run on, and it is the same at the moment so can't really judge it...but that time I couldn't run on it again for about six weeks. Had really got myself geared up for Dublin and will be really disappointed if it doesn't settle in but am really worried it's a bit more serious than I'm hoping. Was only at physio last week for something else, and didn't mention this because it wasn't something I was worried about at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

I am outa here (hopefully!!) Had two short easy runs in the last two days and calf felt OK. Looks as if it was not as bad as I thought. Just need to get it out of my head now.

Hope everyone is making progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm not off the bench yet but I have edged towards the end ( I thin, and hope!)

Did the cao points for physiotherapy go up this year? this thread could single handedly increase demand :-(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

<pulls up seat and ice pack to join the injured bench>
    I guess I'm not technically injured rather recovering but aparently my coccynx didn't get the messages from the rest of my body saying "make way, there is a baby coming through" I officially have a broken bum :-(
    When this kid grows up you can tell them they were a pain in the ass when they were born. :p

Well.... I ran today. After six weeks, five slow,ugly, sweaty, miles the heart rate was stratospheric .... but I did run ... in horrible muggy conditions with rain .... .... but I ran. Not 100% and the whole left leg seems was a bit sore once I stopped. Inching to the edge of the bench but still need to be patient. But, I ran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

achilles problem since race last Sunday.Got laser and dry needling treatment so far.Anyone had either treatment before and with any success?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

achilles problem since race last Sunday.Got laser and dry needling treatment so far.Anyone had either treatment before and with any success?

Saw that on your blog. Did you rupture your achilles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Have not run at all this week and its getting worse with the more rest I give it! I have Chondromalacia patellae [runners knee] in left knee.

I was ordered total rest with one or two low impact things allowed, so did gym on Tuesday before work and very light swimming Thursday before work.

After very light swimming session knee was sore for ages.

Strolling around Stephens Green killing time on Friday morning it started killing me out of blue.

Walking up stairs to my seats at [terrible] upper tier at match yesterday it was agony. Where I walk up a couple of flights to stairs at work to get to my desk and use the stairs at work all the time, with zero problem.

Physio appointment at 8am tomorrow and its a cast of WTF?

Advertisement