Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Injured A/R/T Boardsies Support Thread

• 30-07-2011 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

Just an idea I had today- not anything to do with medical advice- we all have our physios for that:D. I was thinking that it might be useful to have a thread where we could post when we are injured and needing a rant or some support.

People in my real life just cant understand how frustrated I am right now. I got injured 7 days ago and cant run for at least another 9:eek:. It has been a very long time since I have had this big a break from running. What's worse is that I cant stop eating crap since I stopped running and Im fast turning back into a couch potato like I use to be 5 years ago before I discovered running.

Its looking like I might miss out on DCM this year and I've already missed a race last week due to this injury.

What about you? What kind of injury have you? How long have you been out? What are you doing to stop going mad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

As people get into the DCM training there'll be lots of interest here! Getting run down/picking up niggles is part of a marathon training - you just need to do what the doc/physio says and come back properly. I'm also off at the moment (10 days with a minor strain) - will just treat it as a rest do what I'm told. Lots of time between now and race day - 1 or 2 weeks won't matter much.

As for eating junk, that's another thing and all down to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Nothing worse than an injured runner:( Hard to console but you will get better. Be patient and sensible. Try figure out why you got injured, too much - too soon? wrong shoes? not enough rest. Read your diary/log, anything stand out? warning signs like 'a slight pain in my calf but it seems OK now' etc. If you can figure out the why and how you may be able to avoid it in future.
    And try not comfort eat:mad:.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not injured at the moment, but have spent a decent chunk of the last few months off the road through the nasty round of ITBS after the Barcelona marathon (24 days without running, another 5-6 weeks of very slow buildup) and being sick (another 3 weeks off the road)... :eek:

There is nothing that quite matches a running injury frustration-wise. Cross-training just isn't the same. Totally understand the whole comfort-eating thing, I'm guilty of a bit of that myself unfortunately. If you can keep up fitness through other means then do - swimming is probably my favourite alternative, given that I haven't bought the bike *yet*, but do what you can.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I think its part and parcel of hard training that your body will break down sometimes. I have had 3 or 4 bouts of illness this year, including a dose of flu clashing with my A race. It does seem unfair, but I try to remind myself it happens because of pushing hard. Youre not alone, I want to claw the walls in frustration when it happens. And I feel like a bag of flab after a week of doing nothing. All perfectly normal when you're addicted to training. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

It really is the height if frustration especially when your used to being so active. Just coming out the other side of vertigo. It's feckin rotten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BrendanCro

Studying for exams at minute and started getting stressed on Wednesday so left library early to go for a run and unwind (hadn't ran that morning as woke up late). exactly 3.5 miles from my house I ran into a pothole and fecked my ankle. Had to get a taxi home (although the taxi driver was a runner so gave me a heavily discounted fair - gotta stick together!)

Decided to take 4 full days off study while I couldn't run and went to visit family for the long weekend. A while back though I decided upon 1 golden rule though - when injuried i HAVE to eat percectly healthy - not 90% or 99% but 100% perfect diet and no booze! Its the only way I can manage because if I comfort eat then I like to get very very comfortable!

Feeling good and back to the books today and (hopefully) hitting the roads by Thursday! That said, I'd pay good money to able to do a few miles / eat a chocolate cake right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Bally8 wrote: »
    Just an idea I had today- not anything to do with medical advice- we all have our physios for that. I was thinking that it might be useful to have a thread where we could post when we are injured and needing a rant or some support.

People in my real life just cant understand how frustrated I am right now. I got injured 7 days ago and cant run for at least another 9. It has been a very long time since I have had this big a break from running. What's worse is that I cant stop eating crap since I stopped running and Im fast turning back into a couch potato like I use to be 5 years ago before I discovered running.

Its looking like I might miss out on DCM this year and I've already missed a race last week due to this injury.

What about you? What kind of injury have you? How long have you been out? What are you doing to stop going mad?

Good idea for a thread ! Yup, pretty much read my mind. I've been reading other people's logs and posts wistfully

Out now for a week and half with strained muscle in the lower back - ok, ok, actually in my arse . Tought it would clear up in "a day or two". So far I've missed a HM, and am about to miss the local team championships.

Unable to do anything bike/swim .. even walk for more than a short distance - they are all out right now.

gerard65 wrote: »
    Nothing worse than an injured runner Hard to console but you will get better. Be patient and sensible. Try figure out why you got injured, too much - too soon? wrong shoes? not enough rest. Read your diary/log, anything stand out? .

"Just a niggle" turned into "cannot walk" in the blink of an eye. Cannot really figure out how I did it. It is tough. During training it is pretty common for feel a bit of a niggle here or there. Most of the time it is no big deal. Sometimes it is. I suppose I should have known that the original "niggle" was unfamiliar ... but as I not been doing any "hard" work it I was not on my guard - an injury was the last thing on my mind. Previous injuries I can can generally point to a "yeah that that was not a smart move".

I'm probably better off as Mrs P is sympathetic. On the other hand watching her train away as my marathon plans now hang in the balance (is 11 weeks enough from a standing start?) is hard. Misery loves company eh ?

On thing I do find is that appetite can be somewhat controlled by exercise. Eying up that cake ? Take a 10 minute walk (or limp in my case) - it can really take the edge off craving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

dont want to come across like i dont have sympathy or anything cos being out of running is hard to deal with esp if your are a keen runner, have a goal race coming up etc....but a week or so out really isint that big a deal....depending on the phase or your training it might even be productive so dont worry about it.

this year i spent time out, and almost EVERY day i thought, "id be able to run tomorrow"...didnt happen and i was out for 4months, on crutches, been to multiple physios, doctors, got an MRI etc....

all im saying is, be positive about it and a few days out isint something to worry about, im now back running since end of april and targetting DCM, but had to watch many target races go by.

hope you all get back on the roads soon but dont rush back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Incremental

I'm a regular injury victim, regularly get 2-3 months good training in before some random injury strikes. Latest injury problem (2 months of a hip flexor problems) seems almost cleared up.

Going to take a different approach to coming back from it this time with the next 2 months being focused on injury prevention, plan on 3-4 sessions each week of core/Pilates work, squats, lunges, stretching etc. Plenty of foam rolling the calves, quads and IT band. Going to limit the S/B/R sessions to just one easy each per week and these will be first to be dropped if there are time constraints.

I'm hoping this approach will lead to longer term consistent, regular training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Made appointment to see my physio for tomorrow night. My left heel is sore post the half at the weekend. Its not that bad at all, but Im a firm believer in nipping things in bud and catching them early. I dont want an injury nagging me as we move into heavy miles pre-DCM.

As always with the internet and looking up running injuries if i was gullible I would now think I have 3 or 4 things wrong and I basically need to amputate my foot :)

Lesson one is - go and see an expert and dont ask on the internet

Lesson two is - do the exercises the physio tells you, even after you think you are better.

I still do the exercises I was given for issues I had months ago a few times a week, and attribute the fact I have been injury free for a good while to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Lesson two is - do the exercises the physio tells you, even after you think you are better.

I still do the exercises I was given for issues I had months ago a few times a week, and attribute the fact I have been injury free for a good while to that.

Doh!:o Thats something I havent been doing- I was given exercises to do when recovering from my achilles injury and I was great for doing them while I was injured but stopped when I recovered. It had been mentioned to me on my log that I should keep them up but I didnt as I was fine. Now my new injury is in the same area and maybe it could have been prevented if I kept up the exercises! Lesson learned- thanks vagga.

seanynova wrote: »
    dont want to come across like i dont have sympathy or anything cos being out of running is hard to deal with esp if your are a keen runner, have a goal race coming up etc....but a week or so out really isint that big a deal....depending on the phase or your training it might even be productive so dont worry about it.

this year i spent time out, and almost EVERY day i thought, "id be able to run tomorrow"...didnt happen and i was out for 4months, on crutches, been to multiple physios, doctors, got an MRI etc....

all im saying is, be positive about it and a few days out isint something to worry about, im now back running since end of april and targetting DCM, but had to watch many target races go by.

hope you all get back on the roads soon but dont rush back!

Oh I totally agree a week or two out isnt that big a deal in the long run but its very easy to say what when you are back running:), while you are out it can be very frustrating especially if people around you dont have a clue about how much running means to you.

I have always been someone who says 'there will always be another race' and I firmly believe that injuries come and go. However for me this year is the second year in a row that DCM training has been scuppered by injury. Last year it was because I ignored a niggle for way too long and because of this it was easier to get over the disappointment and work through my recovery (took nearly 6 months). This year is harder to stomach though as I have been taking care of myself- not increasing milage too quickly etc and Im injured again:mad: Very frustrating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Oh I totally agree a week or two out isnt that big a deal in the long run but its very easy to say what when you are back running:), while you are out it can be very frustrating especially if people around you dont have a clue about how much running means to you.

I have always been someone who says 'there will always be another race' and I firmly believe that injuries come and go. However for me this year is the second year in a row that DCM training has been scuppered by injury. Last year it was because I ignored a niggle for way too long and because of this it was easier to get over the disappointment and work through my recovery (took nearly 6 months). This year is harder to stomach though as I have been taking care of myself- not increasing milage too quickly etc and Im injured again:mad: Very frustrating!!

true, easier for me to say now as im back running, and i guess i do understand what your going through....its a good idea for a thread to be fair.
    it will get a lot of responses, however most may be from people suffering from injuries that dont really need a 'support' group...really like, is being out of running for 2weeks something that needs to be supported?

when i was injured, i went about reading into people blogs who i thought had similar injuries(similar to what the doctor told me anyway - stress fracture of the femoral neck) and these people were out of running for well over a year, some couldnt even cross train....thats why im putting this into perspective....

but as i say it is a good idea for a thread and if people feel they need support then so be it, and to be fair when i was injured, i was always up for an injury rant...lol

so good luck with the recovery and keep up the strenthening excercises! ;)

however most may be from people suffering from injuries that dont really need a 'support' group...really like, is being out of running for 2weeks something that needs to be supported?

You're right seany, I probably should have called it the Injury Rant thread, 'support' does suggest major needs, while ranting is more accurate. I do think its nice to have somewhere where you can blurt out the stuff thats driving you mad about not being able to run and see that there are others like you too.

true, easier for me to say now as im back running, and i guess i do understand what your going through....its a good idea for a thread to be fair.
    it will get a lot of responses, however most may be from people suffering from injuries that dont really need a 'support' group...really like, is being out of running for 2weeks something that needs to be supported?

One of the things about being injured is that it's a bit isolating. I really haven't seen anyone since I've been out. Given that I have no new insight on how I got injured or treatment I'm not sure logging ... "still hurts" helps !
    So a bit of 'virtual' support is very welcome. Doesn't have to be a rant.

On the other hand ... I've ended up looking around boards outside A/R/T for pretty much the first time ....amazing range of stuff out there !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Good idea Bally8, this thread could be a help to side-lined runners who are getting more and more frustrated as the days go by, even if it's just to have a rant.

<rant>Comeback lasted about 10 feet:( 13 weeks to go ...running out of time</rant>. Anyone got good news ?

I have heard of delayed onset mustle soreness, but not delayed onset injury :eek:

After run yesterday I had the usual aches and pains here and there, but no drama. Was out to the movies last night, no problem walking there or back. All good going to bed, no problems at all.

Wake up this morning and my left knee is really sore, like I twisted it? Im on a rest day anyway, so wont be doing much on it at all. Lets hope rest sorts it out.

But its far too early for taper madness and phantom injuries to start happening :P

I have heard of delayed onset mustle soreness, but not delayed onset injury :eek:

After run yesterday I had the usual aches and pains here and there, but no drama. Was out to the movies last night, no problem walking there or back. All good going to bed, no problems at all.

Wake up this morning and my left knee is really sore, like I twisted it? Im on a rest day anyway, so wont be doing much on it at all. Lets hope rest sorts it out.

But its far too early for taper madness and phantom injuries to start happening :P

I'd be very very careful with that. I've often found that problems show up the morning after. I'd guess (and it is just a guess) it is because the muscle has had time to cool down/stiffen up.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    <rant>Comeback lasted about 10 feet:( 13 weeks to go ...running out of time</rant>. Anyone got good news ?

Ah crap, what does your physio say? That's so frustrating!

I have good news sort of, met my physio this morning and he is very happy with the rate of recovery of my fasicia. Still no running allowed for another week though. Then next week I am allowed try 10 minutes of running on Monday to see if there is pain. So while that's all good, he said that I should give up on my plans for Dublin, or Sixmilebridge or any marathon in 2011 for that matter:(

• Advertisement

I have good news sort of, met my physio this morning and he is very happy with the rate of recovery of my fasicia. Still no running allowed for another week though. Then next week I am allowed try 10 minutes of running on Monday to see if there is pain. So while that's all good, he said that I should give up on my plans for Dublin, or Sixmilebridge or any marathon in 2011 for that matter:(

Ugghh - tbh, I'm not sure I'd think of that as good news Bally .... sorry about DCM - that is a bit a sickener, though you've probably run out of time for DCM this year anyway. Fingers crossed for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

<pulls up seat and ice pack to join the injured bench>
    I guess I'm not technically injured rather recovering but aparently my coccynx didn't get the messages from the rest of my body saying "make way, there is a baby coming through" I officially have a broken bum :-(

<pulls up seat and ice pack to join the injured bench>
    I guess I'm not technically injured rather recovering but aparently my coccynx didn't get the messages from the rest of my body saying "make way, there is a baby coming through" I officially have a broken bum :-(

Oh Im so sorry but that made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that. Not sure what a brokenn bum feels like but I do know how it feels when everyone is telling you not to push and your body says 'screw them Im pushing'. Took me a long time to recover from that one:o

...pulls up seat and ..... I officially have a broken bum :-(

For the love of god make sure the seat is padded before sitting down. :D. I am myself sitting my office hoping no one notices the ice pack down the back of my pants.
    I think you've officially put us all to shame. I imagine your not getting a huge amount of "down" time.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭specialk1977

Did my lsr of 14 miles last thursday and I knew by Friday my hamstring was very tight..Thought I did enough stretching excercise over de weekend. I tackled a kettlebell class on Monday and ran 6 of the toughtest miles after.. RESULT ,I may have strained my hamstring,feckin typicval as I increse de mileage,so gutted...hope to be in action by de weekend so i can squeeze in another run..Its so frustrating,my mood is wicked at de mo from de lack of running:mad:

pgmcpq wrote: »
    I'd be very very careful with that. I've often found that problems show up the morning after. I'd guess (and it is just a guess) it is because the muscle has had time to cool down/stiffen up.
    Good advice - thanks

Went for short run last night, knee still an issue - so RICE'ing for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭token56

I actually wanted to set up a thread like this ages ago but decided against it because I wasn't sure what the response to one would be like, glad to see its positive.

Personal I've had quite a lengthy battle with injury that just keeps persisting, if anyone has read my previous "training" log its become litany of me complaining. Over the past 2.5 years I've had one decent 5 month spell of running which was summer/autumn last year although I'm finally getting back into it now again. My major problem has been my back and biomechanics. It all ended up with me getting an operation on my back about 1.5 years ago which solved the problem I was having at the time but its been a major struggle getting back into running injury free since then.

Like I said I had the one spell last year but other injuries were developing which was all down to biomechanics and my old back problem was down to this too. I've spent a lot of money and time on trying to get it all sorted and I am finally making some progress but even still its frustrating as hell. I'm up to running about 4k at the moment but even still its a struggle because I still dont feel right. I've definitely had to go backwards since last year in order to try make steps forward, like just getting to used orthotics and the muscle soreness due to this. The change in my biomechanics is pretty severe due so its taking a while getting used to them but I'm just trusting its all going to come good eventually.

The problem with being out for this sort of length is that its very easy to lose motivation again when things dont go your way. When you are training properly you are used to being in routine and forcing yourself to get out and train even when things aren't great. And even with short term injuries you know you will be back soon even if it seems like a lifetime when it happens. But when you've been out this long the mental anguish caused by its erodes the motivation and determination needed for that. So when it comes to things like doing the rehabilitation needed its very easy to shy away from it and not do what you need to do. Because you are not used to the dedication you need and if the smallest thing goes wrong its very easy to get frustrated and say ah feck I'm getting nowhere. I suppose one could say wanting to get back should keep you determined and it should but mentally you are very fragile at least I am anyway.

Personally I know I should be doing a lot more than I currently am with regards my rehabilitation. But now the fact that I'm able to do a small bit of running again its very easy to get lost in it and just focus on the running, neglecting the other things that need to be done. But I'm confident I will do things right and get back close to where I want to be. You just have to prepared to wait for these things and patience is definitely a virtue worth having.

Although my injuries have not been nearly as severe as yours token56, I feel I could have written a lot of what you say. Its all so frustrating. Every time I get injured I start off by going crazy wanting to run then get used to not running and the longer it goes on the more I lose my motivation to get back out there even though deep down I want to- as you said I get mentally fragile!

token56 wrote: »
    Personally I know I should be doing a lot more than I currently am with regards my rehabilitation. But now the fact that I'm able to do a small bit of running again its very easy to get lost in it and just focus on the running, neglecting the other things that need to be done. But I'm confident I will do things right and get back close to where I want to be. You just have to prepared to wait for these things and patience is definitely a virtue worth having.

+1 its sooo important to keep doing the exercises etc for the rehabilitation. So often I stop all the strength and stretching exercises once I get back running and this has been my downfall. This time I am going to be much more diligent:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Spunderbungle

Out with shin splints at the moment. Started about 4 weeks ago when I came back too soon after a bout of tonsilitis. First run back and they were sore :mad:

Looked back at the diary, had the splints the exact same day last year. They lasted 6 weeks ish and I ended up missing the Venice Marathon late October. This year I'm hoping to do DCM.

They're on and off, but the last week or so, more on. On a prescribed 4 day rest from the physical therapist and hopefully back next week.

Two questions:
    Is there a shin splints thread?
    Any thoughts on physio vs physical therapy? Or are they the same thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 gmackk

Boarders,

Done a really big event over the Aug Bank Holiday weekend- about 40k running and 180k cycling. I got a really bad pain on the outside of my knee about 10hrs into the event but struggled on until the end. Everyone (about 2 people) told me that I had damaged/pulled/injured my iliotibial band. The physio I went to didnt exactly confirm this for me. My knee was sore for a bit and walking was painful for approx 1 week or 9 days. I went for a 1 mile run yesterday, Saturday and the knee held up pretty well- it started to feel a bit tight just above the knee cap but overall it was ok. I went golfing today and about midway through the pain came back. I am booked in to do Gaelforce West next weekend, just wondering what ye think? Am I mad to be contemplating it?

Advertisement