Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling/Walking around the city

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I am conflicted on this subject all the time. On the one hand I want to tell them to cop on and get lost, and on the other I believe that as cyclists they should be supported by whatever means necessary, since they're doing the city a favour.

Ideally your proposed "national police service", in addition to enforcing "legislation", would also work closely with some sort of "planning authority" to ensure rational, coherent, safe and convenient use of a "cycle network" and "pedestrian facilities".

Agreed on all points - but someone has to offer leadership - it was popularity contests that got us into this mess.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

OK strictly speaking this is not correct. A contra-flow cycle lane - which goes the "other" way on a one-way street - should still be on the correct side of the road.
    To a casual observer, what I said is what it would appear like, technically your phrasing is correct but in essence we are saying the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Those cycle-lanes on SQR are deadly if you meet another cyclist coming the opposite way. They're not really wide enough for two bikes, so somebody has to cycle on the footpath for a few metres. But there is a height difference between the cycle path (the off-the-road cycle path) and the footpath. It's only around 50mm, but it can cause you a lot of difficulty if you are trying to get 'up' on the footpath, especially if your tyres are close to parallel with the path.

Ya, coming onto the cycle path from the roundabout at the back of the hospital last summer, the cycle path narrows substantially and was left with no choice but for the bike to slide parallel with the path. Fell, and was left with a few cuts and bruises, but continued on the bike home. Maybe bad judgement on my part, but I can definitely see what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Owwww owwee owww... knocked down this morning.

Westside library ped crossing. Don't normally go that way. Pressed button, wait wait wait, finally get green man, cross, navigate island, continue right in front of an oncoming car. Impact to the front tyre, bike disappears from under me, I go up on bonnet and crash down hard on road.

Why did they put in a pred crossing which takes you only halfway across the road?

Ouch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'd like to her the motorist's point of view
    A bottle of tcp for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

newkie wrote: »
    Owwww owwee owww... knocked down this morning.

Westside library ped crossing. Don't normally go that way. Pressed button, wait wait wait, finally get green man, cross, navigate island, continue right in front of an oncoming car. Impact to the front tyre, bike disappears from under me, I go up on bonnet and crash down hard on road.

Why did they put in a pred crossing which takes you only halfway across the road?

Ouch

If you don't mind my asking, were you travelling eastbound or westbound on the SQR beforehand? Or were you coming out of the library? Or some other route? It is my belief that cyclists have been significantly inconvenienced around this location, eg banned right turn from the library onto the SQR and reduced access to the pedestrian/cycle route into Westside Shopping Centre.

BTW, were you walking or cycling through the ped crossing?

I was going eastbound towards the hospital, crossing from library side to the petrol station, cycling through.

As I said, I don't normally go that way and didn't know the crossing only went as far as the island. It took several minutes to change and I just assumed it was a single ped crossing all the way across the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Isn't that a staggered pedestrian crossing? In which case I'd assume it was a two-part crossing.

Also you obviously shouldn't have been cycling across a pedestrian crossing...

Hope you've no serious injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hey newkie,

you had a lucky escape. It could have been a lot lot worse.
    In the Rules of the Road the statistic is:

Hit by a car at 60 km/h, 9 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed.
    Hit by a car at 50 km/h, 5 out of 10 of pedestrians will be killed.
    Hit by a car at 30 km/h, 1 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed.

The speed limit on the SQR is 50 km/h, but cars usually go over 50 km/h. As I said, it could have been a lot worse. I had a similar accident a few years ago (not related to a pedestrian crossing :P), but I got hit while I was on my bike, I smacked into the bumper, and then flew on to the road. My bike was a right off, the whole frame was warped. Thankfully the only injury I had was a sore arse :pac:

Anyway, here a few more things from the ROTR:

If there is a central island at the pedestrian lights, the ‘green man’ or
    ‘cross now’ sign will let you cross only as far as that. You must then press
    the push button at another set of lights to cross the rest of the way.

Don’t ever cycle through red traffic lights or pedestrian lights.

Those pedestrian collision statistics have been revised in the last five years or so, but getting hit by a car is still potentially disastrous.

I was nearly hit by a motorist speeding through a roundabout recently. She blamed her asthma.

Engineers justify staggered crossings on safety grounds, but I still think it's unfair -- and possibly unwise -- to make pedestrians wait two or three times to cross a road that they could quickly traverse otherwise. This incites impatience and encourages risk-taking. For example, I hope the new signals at the former Bodkin junction are now more responsive to pedestrians, otherwise there will be lots of "jay walking".

As for cyclists on ped crossings, my own view is that it's generally better to use the road and cycle through the junction as per the RoTR. If you're going to use the ped crossings then dismount, otherwise you may be asking for trouble.

I hope you didn't sustain any injuries, newkie. A cyclist I know was knocked off her bike a couple of weeks ago and sustained a fractured scaphoid. Potential complications mean that this ostensibly minor injury could end up being a major hassle.

• Advertisement

Ironically, I stopped at the ped crossing instead of entering the Browne roundabout during rush hour to enter the hospital. Usually I take a lane and go with traffic. Don't know why I changed up my routine to be "safe".

Engineers justify staggered crossings on safety grounds, but I still think it's unfair -- and possibly unwise -- to make pedestrians wait two or three times to cross a road that they could quickly traverse otherwise.

I agree it is inconvenient and unwise unless you are crossing 8 lanes of traffic. I can't imagine why it is necessary for 4 lanes.

I am feeling pretty lucky, albeit sore. The shop called and the fork wasn't bent so I'm only out a new wheel. I think the driver must have slowed down a lot before impact or it would have been worse.

Ironically, I stopped at the ped crossing instead of entering the Browne roundabout during rush hour to enter the hospital. Usually I take a lane and go with traffic. Don't know why I changed up my routine to be "safe".

You cycled across a pedestrian crossing, then across a pedestrian crossing on a red light with the intention of cycling the wrong way down a cycle lane towards the hospital... hardly a "safe" route? :confused:

I'm going straight ahead but am blocked. All traffic is stopped.
    There is a Garda mini-van just ahead of the white van who drove by this scenario and did..nothing.
    1T03qCFl.jpg

So you would join traffic and cycle through the Browne Roundabout?

If you're going to judge then at least enlighten us with your approved route.

If you're going to judge then at least enlighten us with your approved route.

You've a few options;
    • Navigate the roundabout in the main traffic and take the hospital exit.
    • Dismount and cross at the pedestrian crossing that you were at, waiting for both green men. Then walk the bike down to the hospital entrance.
    • Are there pedestrian crossing facilities nearer the roundabout at the traffic island? If so, I'd dismount and cross here then walk the bike over to the entrance.

You might have found your chosen route safer for yourself but it wasn't for the following other road users....
    1. Pedestrians not expecting a cyclist on the pedestrian crossing.
    2. Drivers or cyclists not expecting a cyclist coming across a pedestrian crossing that has a red light.
    3. Cyclists on the cycle lane not expecting another cyclist to come onto the lane and cycle towards them in the wrong direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I think what the recent posts show in this thread is that the Browne Roundabout is a major barrier for cyclists getting to and from NUIG and navigating in the general Newcastle area.
    When will it be removed?

J o e wrote: »
    You've a few options;
    • Navigate the roundabout in the main traffic and take the hospital exit.
    • Dismount and cross at the pedestrian crossing that you were at, waiting for both green men. Then walk the bike down to the hospital entrance.
    • Are there pedestrian crossing facilities nearer the roundabout at the traffic island? If so, I'd dismount and cross here then walk the bike over to the entrance.

The problem is that these are not really "options" for a lot of people. Your last point about the pedestrian facilities closer to the roundabout is relevant - there arent.

It was pointed out to the engineers at the time that this design was going to cause problems. A solution that was suggested was to put a combined pedestrian and cyclist crossing down closer to the roundabout - this could also have served passengers using the bus stops accross from Corrib Park.

Some kind of two-way cycle path could have been put in to link this to the Hospital entrance and get cyclists over towards Newcastle road without going through the roundabout.

It joins a long list of suggestions that were ignored.

I thought that might have been your route!

I generally avoid cycling down that way, but when I do I go on-road further back on the SQR, where the cycle lane allows it. Some cyclists travel on the cycle path up to the roundabout, but I find this to be very unsatisfactory. I have often passed by cyclists who were stuck at this point without being able to cross to the UHG side or continue in the QB direction.

If you dismount you have to join the ranks of pedestrians who must wait for a gap in traffic at peak times, depend on the kindness of strangers in cars, or else take their chances with the sprinters.

It is my guess that much of the wrong-way cycling on the SQR is caused by the roundabouts at either end. And yes, Galway City Council were warned years ago that this would happen.

The problem is that these are not really "options" for a lot of people.

They are options even if not convenient and I know most will not want to cycle around to the 3rd exit on a roundabout.

If a cyclist has any issues when going the way newkie intended (apart from being a nuisance to other road users) then they'll always be in the wrong and not have a leg to stand on.

Does anyone in the know, know if they've finished work on the Bodkin junction now (Bodkin thread has been closed)?

The cyclist turning boxes still haven't been marked out and they appear to have finished up with the other line markings...

• Advertisement

J o e wrote: »
    Does anyone in the know, know if they've finished work on the Bodkin junction now (Bodkin thread has been closed)?
    The cyclist turning boxes still haven't been marked out and they appear to have finished up with the other line markings...
    No.
    They were installing more slippery dished kerbing yesterday :mad:

Good stuff, I'll assume it's on the to-do list so.

It would be great to see more people walking, given the compact size of Galway City and the well-known problems with traffic congestion.

What can be done to encourage walking in the city, to work and school especially?

Personally I find some roads and localities to be unconducive for walking, especially for children and senior citizens, but it is good to see that conditions are being improved, albeit incrementally.

As an example of a positive development, work has started on installing traffic calming along Dr Mannix Road. This is a residential area and is a key route to several schools.

Photo below shows the junction of Dalton Drive and Dr Mannix Road being modified. I'm no roads engineer, but as far as I can see the kerb radius is being decreased, and the crossing distance reduced, by the construction of a 'build-out'. I believe a speed table, or something of that sort, is also to be added. My preference would be for a pedestrian-priority crossing, but maybe that will come in time. I believe the work on Dr Mannix Road is one of seventeen traffic calming schemes announced several months ago.

280167.jpg

Acknowledgment to vale8jabs.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Galway is a lovely city to walk around. If only we could roof it :)

One of my favourite walks in the city is starting in NUIG, down upper canal road out through Dominick Street, down the long walk and then up through town via cross st, quay st., kirwans lane, market st, eglinton st. and up to eyre square.

No other city in Ireland has nicer walks in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

It would be great to see more people walking, given the compact size of Galway City and the well-known problems with traffic congestion.

What can be done to encourage walking in the city, to work and school especially?

Firstly we need to construct a massive umbrella.

The rain is exaggerated, IMO.

Besides, there is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

The number of Galway residents who trudge around in the rain without waterproofs is remarkable.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The rain is exaggerated, IMO.

Besides, there is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

The number of Galway residents who trudge around in the rain without waterproofs is remarkable.

Too true, Galway weather is all bark and no bite, when you actually get out there in appropriate clothing it's grand.

I bought one of these hats in TKMaxx:
    bomber-hat.jpg

Yes I look like an escaped mental patient (as one of my colleagues kindly commented!) but I'm cosy as anything and protected from the worst sideways rain and freezing wind Galway can throw at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Too true, Galway weather is all bark and no bite, when you actually get out there in appropriate clothing it's grand.

I bought one of these hats in TKMaxx:
    bomber-hat.jpg

Yes I look like an escaped mental patient (as one of my colleagues kindly commented!) but I'm cosy as anything and protected from the worst sideways rain and freezing wind Galway can throw at me.

A waterproof one of these and you're talking. I had one of these and it was like having sodden wet fur stuck to my face after a half hour walking!

I wish the footpath along the Moycullen road could be widened. It is actually really close for residents of Knocknacarra to walk to the prom/Salthill. However, the footpath is so narrow it's simply dangerous with children.

A cycle path along the same route would be a huge benefit as well, but I know I'm just dreaming.

• Advertisement

The law on yielding speicifies that drivers pulling out from side roads should yield to crossing pedestrians.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html
    Yielding Right of Way
    (5) A driver of a vehicle approaching a road junction by a road which is not a major road shall, notwithstanding that there is no traffic sign indicating that the last mentioned road is a major road, yield the right of way to traffic and pedestrians on the major road.

(6) A driver approaching a road junction to which sub-article (5) does not apply shall yield the right of way to traffic and pedestrians approaching the junction from the right by another road.

Despite this, there are various side roads around Galway where engineers employed by the city appear to have tried to turn this legal principle on its head.

So they have marked the Yield or Stop Lines past the pedestrian travel line from footpath corner to footpath corner. The yield line is at the edge of the crossing road instead of leaving space for crossing walkers. The engineers involved are encouraging drivers not to lawfully yield but instead obstruct and impede pedestrians.

It would be useful to get photographs of examples.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement