Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling/Walking around the city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭what_traffic

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    You have to have a bell? Crap i didnt even think about having one of those! (only brought my bike to the city last week)

Not just for the city. Don't worry about it AGS won't pull you up on it; they would have 50 years ago though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

You have to have a bell? Crap i didnt even think about having one of those! (only brought my bike to the city last week)

You don't have to if you have a racing bike... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

J o e wrote: »
    You don't have to if you have a racing bike... ;)

Haha Well in that case...maybe I should get a bell!

... or a go-faster stripe to adapt it for racing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Well the only thing id need a bell for at home is to possibly scare some cows,so never really needed one before now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

You might be able to pick up a free bell from a bike shop. To my surprise I got two freebies (freebells?) for my kids that way. It seems that some bikes come with bells on, but they're not cool so the bike shop is asked to take them off.

Nuts, imo. A bell, apart from being a legal requirement, is a very useful piece of kit. Cool be damned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    You might be able to pick up a free bell from a bike shop. To my surprise I got two freebies (freebells?) for my kids that way. It seems that some bikes come with bells on, but they're not cool so the bike shop is asked to take them off.

Nuts, imo. A bell, apart from being a legal requirement, is a very useful piece of kit. Cool be damned.

I never felt the need for one until I took my first spin on the greenway up in Mayo, they are definitely useful for letting people know you want to pass through/are about to pass by etc Also useful for letting pedestrians know not to run out in front of you. I must get around to getting one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Not sure if it was the heavy rain last night but there seemed to be a lot of oil on the roads this morning. Back wheel nearly went out from under me on Dominick St and there were streaks of it on Wolf Tone Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭topcat77

My front wheel nearly went from me at the G bar turning (William St and Henry st) there was a trail of oil all along Munster Avenue. Beware cyclists !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

And where is the oil coming from? The excretion that motorists dump on the carriageway :cool:

• Advertisement

Not sure if it was the heavy rain last night but there seemed to be a lot of oil on the roads this morning. Back wheel nearly went out from under me on Dominick St and there were streaks of it on Wolf Tone Bridge.

Yes there was an oil spill on Domnick street/Fairhill/Wolf Tone Bridge for sure. Was dangerous this morning alright on the bike. Looked like some fine gravel was spread on Domnick street - not sure what the point of that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Looked like some fine gravel was spread on Domnick street - not sure what the point of that is?

to mitigate the effects of the oil spillage...

to mitigate the effects of the oil spillage...

Why such a dirty solution was the point I was getting at. Why not actually clean the oil spill with the right gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Why not actually clean the oil spill with the right gear?

That's a good question right enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Why such a dirty solution was the point I was getting at. Why not actually clean the oil spill with the right gear?

The "right gear" is detergent, which will make the situation worse not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

is it lawful to cycle in the opposite direction to traffic on cycle lanes? - it's common behaviour on the WDR lanes which is esp. dangerous for these on-road lanes

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Is 'salmon' cycling common on the Western Distributor Road itty bitty gritty cycle lanes? I can't recall the last time I saw it happening, if ever. Parking in the cycle lanes and cycling on the footpaths are both everyday occurrences, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Is it January 2014 that the fines and regulations for cycling on footpaths are coming in? How well do ye think these are going to be enforced?

I suspect they'll not be, unfortunately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is it January 2014 that the fines and regulations for cycling on footpaths are coming in? How well do ye think these are going to be enforced?
    I didn't think there had been anymore movement on it since that random press release to distract people from other issues, has the legislation for on the spot fines being put through. Would be great if it has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

jkforde wrote: »
    is it lawful to cycle in the opposite direction to traffic on cycle lanes? - it's common behaviour on the WDR lanes which is esp. dangerous for these on-road lanes

I also come across that regularly when cycling home on the SQR, cyclists coming straight at me on the wrong side of the road.

I honestly don't know if it's illegal or not.

Also, hearing a lot of moaning lately about cycling on the prom. Why don't the council put in a cycle lane along the entire length of the prom ... this was even the reason a group of pensioners gave for opposing the Galway public bike scheme which is due to come in next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

celty wrote: »
    Unless clearly marked as a contra flow lane, then it is illegal.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Unless clearly marked as a contra flow lane, then it is illegal.

OK strictly speaking this is not correct. A contra-flow cycle lane - which goes the "other" way on a one-way street - should still be on the correct side of the road.

So allthough you will by cycling against the "normal" flow you should still be on the left hand side of the road with oncoming traffic passing you on your right.

I also come across that regularly when cycling home on the SQR, cyclists coming straight at me on the wrong side of the road.

I see this regularly on SQR as well. Counted 4 cases in the space of 5 minutes this morning 09h00/09h05 on both side's of the road; however it is far more common to see on the City side of SQR/BOD.

Also, hearing a lot of moaning lately about cycling on the prom. Why don't the council put in a cycle lane along the entire length of the prom ... this was even the reason a group of pensioners gave for opposing the Galway public bike scheme which is due to come in next year.

Yes would be easy enough to do. Just remove all the car parking on the sea side of the prom and would have enough space for a 2 way cycle lane - similar to the Canal Way Cycle Routein Dublin.

As far as I know it is unlawful if the cycle track is not signed for use in both directions. As I recall the law in the 1997 regulations was fairly clear but has been changed a couple of times since.

1997 Version
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html
    Article 14

(4) Where a cycle track is one-way, pedal cycles shall be driven in the same direction as traffic on the side of the roadway adjacent to the cycle track is required to travel.

(5) When a cycle track is two-way, pedal cycles shall be driven as near as possible to the left hand side of each lane.
    (Edit: of course that version would appear to preclude contra-flow cycle tracks)

This is the latest version

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0332.html
    “Cycle tracks

<snip>

(3) Where a cycle track, provided by traffic sign number RUS 009 in association with traffic sign number RRM 022 (continuous white line) or RRM 023 (broken white line), is two-way, pedal cycles shall be driven as near as possible to the left hand side of each lane.

Which in my view is less clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

Thanks for the replies re. cycle lanes and 'salmon' cycling, just want to know in relation to the lanes around town whether I'd be within my rights to tell people that they're causing an unnecessary dangerous situation esp. on the on-road lanes.. then again, I've seen people cycle on footpaths right next to cycle lanes so I must factor in Irish contrarian instincts here!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Thanks for the replies re. cycle lanes and 'salmon' cycling, just want to know in relation to the lanes around town whether I'd be within my rights to tell people that they're causing an unnecessary dangerous situation esp. on the on-road lanes.. then again, I've seen people cycle on footpaths right next to cycle lanes so I must factor in Irish contrarian instincts here!

No I reckon you're within your rights. I reckon that in the Netherlands you wouldn't be long getting told where to get off by other cyclists if you tried using their cycle paths in an unexpected manner. We need to start taking the same attitude.

The salmon cyclists are a worse problem on the road since there are less options for avoiding them.

Yes they are simply trying to cope with the dogs dinner the city council engineers have made of the roads in the city. But on the other hand if you tolerate the resulting behaviour are you removing any pressure to fix the mess? (As well as tolerating behaviour that directly threatens your own safety)

Ideally this country should set up some form of national police service that would enforce these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Those cycle-lanes on SQR are deadly if you meet another cyclist coming the opposite way. They're not really wide enough for two bikes, so somebody has to cycle on the footpath for a few metres. But there is a height difference between the cycle path (the off-the-road cycle path) and the footpath. It's only around 50mm, but it can cause you a lot of difficulty if you are trying to get 'up' on the footpath, especially if your tyres are close to parallel with the path.

• Advertisement

Yes they are simply trying to cope with the dogs dinner the city council engineers have made of the roads in the city. But on the other hand if you tolerate the resulting behaviour are you removing any pressure to fix the mess? (As well as tolerating behaviour that directly threatens your own safety)

Ideally this country should set up some form of national police service that would enforce these things.

I am conflicted on this subject all the time. On the one hand I want to tell them to cop on and get lost, and on the other I believe that as cyclists they should be supported by whatever means necessary, since they're doing the city a favour.

Ideally your proposed "national police service", in addition to enforcing "legislation", would also work closely with some sort of "planning authority" to ensure rational, coherent, safe and convenient use of a "cycle network" and "pedestrian facilities".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement