Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Household Tax - Boycott

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Im against this tax not because of the idea of it, i am against it because i do not trust the county council to spend it without corruption.
    I wouldn't worry, the council is unlikely to see any of it. this is just revenue raising to pay off "our" debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 spondoolies

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    No need to boycott it, just dont pay it

provided you dont go selling your home no one will come after you

I'm not so sure about that, I know its going to be a self declared tax, similar to the NPPR tax but it will also have a very hefty penalty (percentage-wise) if €10 per month that you are late paying it.
    I don't want to pay this tax but the penalty will accumulate very quickly and apparently any outstanding amount is registered as a charge against your house. Also, I believe that €100 is only the thin end of the wedge, it wil be a lot more than this in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Minister for the Environment Phil Hogan is now saying he cannot guarantee that the household charge would remain at €100 for the next two years. He wasn't long changing his tune from what he said on the news yesterday evening.

http://www.irishtimes.com/​newspaper/breaking/2011/07​27/breaking16.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I disagree with the introduction of a flat fee household charge for a few reasons:

Those whose houses are worth a lot more should have to pay more, from the outset.

A lot of people will be exempt and so yet again those living off the state will get away with not contributing their share.

More and more it is obvious that it is better not to work or buy your own house but to live off the state welfare, housing schemes, child allowance, single parent allowance and all the other ways you can claim off the state

also, it is ridiculous that there is no property tax in Ireland.

are we the only western democratic country without one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Should we give those on social welfare an extra 100 a year to pay it:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

bkeano wrote: »
    Hi all Boardies

Can we all please make a stance here and get our non boardies to do the same. Enough is Enough We should not pay this new household Tax. Its the same as the Poll tax in the UK. I am an normal Joe Soap with 2 kids. I cant pay any more Taxes. I can afford it as it is. I am lucky to have my Job.

We need to mount a serious objection here and nationwide.

Just curious:
    Who did you vote for in the last 4 elections? Ever vote for FF?

If not: you were so against FF? - Did you ever campaign against FF - the architects of this whole mess? Did you accept the children's allowance/welfare/SSIA that they handed out?

All the bleating won't change the fact that the guilty party in this Bertie and his merry band were wildly popular among the great unwashed during the Celtic Tiger. In a democracy you get the government you deserve. People of Ireland - it's time to eat what you deserve. Get a spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

What I find even more sicking is that the people living on those "ghost estates" being exempt.

So a working person living in on of these estates earning say €50,000 gets away wiht paying it. While an recently unemployed person down the road in a older estate has to try to find the cash to pay this tax upfront.

Surely that is not right. What they should have brought in was a €50-€70 and everyone pays it that way it is kept as low as possible. No waivers ( obviously people in a nursing home that would be factored into the cost by the provider as it is already)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Unemployed people/those on SW are exempt.

Nope they are not this is stated in all news reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

libra02 wrote: »
    What I find even more sicking is that the people living on those "ghost estates" being exempt.

Why should they pay if the council's haven't taken the estate in charge :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Einhard wrote: »
    hatpatrick's proposed response: do something, anything, just for the sake of it, to show we have a bit of mettle, then hope to God everything works out all right. :p

Everyone here knows my proposed response. Let the banking system rot, refuse to put one more cent into it, and when it collapses at long last, design a monetary system which is not controlled by manipulative for-profit institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 millhouse11

they cant really send you to jail can they?, no room there as it is, but i suppose if we refuse to pay it, they will get it out of us some other way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Stupid, Stupid tax.
    Adjusting Rent relief and morgage interest relief would make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

meglome wrote: »
    I dunno there might be a correlation between low tax and poor services. Is it a wonder that countries with the best services also have the highest taxes.

And before anyone eats me I'm not saying our problems are just low taxes, the civil service needs reform badly too.

Yes, but in the majority of countries there is value for money.What I meant is that I wouldn't call Ireland low tax, but it is definitely low service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Rent Supplement expenditure in 2010 was some €516 million. Expenditure up to end April 2011 was some €167 million.

Just thought ill put ^^^ that out here

We spent more in first 4 months of this year on rent supplement than this tax will raise

Maybe about time people write to their representatives and ask as to why they have to pay this tax while highly distortive (to the rent market) subsidies to landlords continue to be paid

Rent Supplement is keeping people in houses and apartments that they cannot really afford - if it was reduced it would force them to find alternative accomodation (and there is plenty of it out there!!!) and save the taxpayer money

it would also stop landlords being subsidised by the state and force the price of rent down across the country as they would have to look after properties better and price rental property better in order to attract new tenants

I would love to find out if there are landlords out there who are receiving huge sums, through multiple properties from the payment of Rent Allowance to their tenants??? A Parlimentary question would do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Rent Supplement is keeping people in houses and apartments that they cannot really afford - if it was reduced it would force them to find alternative accomodation (and there is plenty of it out there!!!) and save the taxpayer money

it would also stop landlords being subsidised by the state and force the price of rent down across the country as they would have to look after properties better and price rental property better in order to attract new tenants

I would love to find out if there are landlords out there who are receiving huge sums, through multiple properties from the payment of Rent Allowance to their tenants??? A Parlimentary question would do the trick.

Apparently the revenue are clamping down on landlords not paying tax. But you still gotta wonder how many aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

This Tax is an outrage, and everyone should boycott it

Families Across ireland cant afford to Pay the bill's and put some food on the table.

How in the name of god, does this goverment expect people to pay for this "Tax"??

100 Euro is alot In this "recession era" During the boom 100 euro would be worth nothing.

I Advise everyone to boycott, save some money instead of paying the Goverment!

Also dont forget the water charges Which could be an extra 150 euro, we could be paying An extra 250-300 euro

So in the next 4 Years, If we paid 250 euro for the tax's, we could have spent 1000 euro by 2014-2015, then add another 4-5 years, 2,000, then 3,000, 4,000, 5,000!!!

Boycott it for the sake of saving your money and lifestyle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

RobitTV wrote: »

Families Across ireland cant afford to Pay the bill's and put some food on the table.

How in the name of god, does this goverment expect people to pay for this "Tax"??

100 Euro is alot In this "recession era" During the boom 100 euro would be worth nothing.

Also dont forget the water charges Which could be an extra 150 euro, we could be paying An extra 250-300 euro

So in the next 4 Years, If we paid 250 euro for the tax's, we could have spent 1000 euro by 2014-2015, then add another 4-5 years, 2,000, then 3,000, 4,000, 5,000!!!

100 quid a big tax?

If you have a 1.4 Litre car you're paying 400 euro tax.
    If you live in an apartment you're paying 1.5 K mgt fees per year.

I think it's cheap.

100 quid a big tax?

I think it's cheap.

Yeah, But dont we pay enough bill's and tax's?

Do we seriously need another 2, and put poorer families under pressure.

Poorer families dont have Money for bill's dont forget that, They dont get everyday treats and surprise's, They just comfort themselves knowing they have some food to feed their children.

So you should go and tell them that, Tell them its "Cheap" And see what they have to say to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Did you read what you posted? are you serious?

I'm very happy to pay this for a number of reasons. 1. My tax bill generally isn't that high. 2. We're broke, it's irrelevant that I didn't have a hand in making us that way - it's done.

Where do you think the money is going to come from to pay for our huge day to day spending deficit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

100 quid a big tax?

I think it's cheap.

I presume anyone buying a 1.4 Litre car would be aware of the 400 euro tax before buying.
    I presume anyone buying an apartment would be aware of the 1.5 K mgt fees per year.
    Or maybe perhaps these started out smaller............ sure whats 200 euro tax on a 1.4 Litre. "I think it's cheap" you may have said a few years back. What would you say now?

I wonder did many buying an apartment factor in a rising property tax?

"I think it's cheap", he says.
    The government love folks like you.

meglome wrote: »
    Did you read what you posted? are you serious?

I'm very happy to pay this for a number of reasons. 1. My tax bill generally isn't that high. 2. We're broke, it's irrelevant that I didn't have a hand in making us that way - it's done.

Where do you think the money is going to come from to pay for our huge day to day spending deficit?

The Greedy goverment gets enough bloody tax!

The goverment had enough money, to bail-out the bank's didn't they?

And you totally miss the point, you may have Money, other's dont, Other people have to pay their bill's, which they can just nearly afford, You may have money, but next time think about other people first, before you boast about your excitment of paying your tax's, well done you.

You made me laugh, You are Very happy about paying your tax's, I mean are you A undercover minister?

You must be in your own little world, where everything is great and prosperous. *sighs*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

And you totally miss the point, you may have Money, other's dont, Other people have to pay their bill's, which they can just nearly afford, You may have money, but next time think about other people first, before you boast about your excitment of paying your tax's, well done you.

You made me laugh, You are Very happy about paying your tax's, I mean are you A undercover minister?

You must be in your own little world, where everything is great and prosperous. *sighs*

Look pal...your on a looser and you know it.

Do you not realise that as a country we have been bailed out by our European partners.

Part of the condition of this bail out is the introduction of a property tax.

The one question the lefties never answer is what would have happened if we had not got the bail out.

No money to pay Guards/Civil Servants/Teachers/Fire services etc...a run on the banks...empty ATM'S.

The country decends into chaos........enter The Stickies and their fellow travellers......

Exit the Multinationals and anyone with a bit o sense.........

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

why don't you emigrate to the UK - you'll pay about 1000 in council tax there!
    Where's your solution? what do your propose? The banks have nothing to do with it - have you heard about the deficit?

Maybe we should have a tax on grocer's apostrophe's! :) That'd put you to the pin of your collar!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

why don't you emigrate to the UK - you'll pay about 1000 in council tax there!Where's your solution? what do your propose? The banks have nothing to do with it - have you heard about the deficit?

Maybe we should have a tax on grocer's apostrophe's! :) That'd put you to the pin of your collar!

People buying houses in the UK pay very little stamp duty though. 1% on properties up to £250,000. When I bought my house in 2009 I paid €18,000 in stamp duty. I know the stamp duty rates changed in last years budget but up to that point any non first buyers in Ireland where paying huge amounts of stamp duty compared to our UK counterparts.

why don't you emigrate to the UK - you'll pay about 1000 in council tax there!
    Where's your solution? what do your propose? The banks have nothing to do with it - have you heard about the deficit?

Why the hell should i pay, for the other people's mistake's?

None of you wont answer this!! - How will the poorer people pay this crap?

You sound like another idiot, who Loves paying their tax's, get a grip my friend, not everyone has money to spear!

get a grip on actual reality! not everyone has money to throw up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Why the hell should i pay, for the other people's mistake's?

As a citizen of this country you are part of it's economy, the economy is in the ****ter and as such we all have to pay our part in getting it back on track regardless of who the hell caused the mess.
    None of you wont answer this!! - How will the poorer people pay this crap?

for years there was a massive number of people who didn't pay a penny in income tax, not those at the top of the pile ... but the circa 40% of PAYE workers earning up to about 30k a year.

The 'Poorer' people as you put it generally don't pay much tax at all and you can be sure that there will be exemptions and plenty of options for people not to pay this.
    You sound like another idiot, who Loves paying their tax's, get a grip my friend, not everyone has money to spear!

get a grip on actual reality! not everyone has money to throw up in the air.

Nobody likes paying taxes, but rather than being lambasted as an idiot for realizing that everyone must contribute to the nations revenue need .. its an idiot who can't see that the economy is fecked and the only way of bridging the deficit is a mix of increasing taxes and reduction of services.

What people don't realize is that the massive increase in social welfare payments, government spending sprees, benchmarking, bloated civil/public sector, lower taxation and joint labour agreements were all funded by revenue from the property bubble.

With out this celtic tiger property bubble none of the above increases would have happened .. now that the bubble is burst we have to recorrect ourselves.

I get sick of hearing from people 'I didn't get anything from the celtic tiger' .. just about everyone benefited ... the career unemployed had their dole almost doubled, children's allowance jumped, general operatives and laborers were earning huge wages, unemployment was almost nil .. everyone capable or willing to work had a job .......

Now that the fallacy of the property bubble and all it's associated stamp duty, VAT, PAYE etc ... revenue has disappeared we have to go back to reality.

New taxes like this are not really a choice ... when we are 20bn in the hole ever year and nobody will lend us a penny .. the EU/IMF can and will call the shots ....

it's not nice but there is no avoiding it.

Anyway, €100 a year is the price of a packet of fags a month, two pints a month, a burger & chips per month ......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

The rural dwellers who receive a water supply from local authorities but maintain their own septic tanks are going to love this, household tax, water rates, septic tank charge... what will the government think of next, get rid of wages altogether and work for free :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

hellboy99 wrote: »
    The rural dwellers who receive a water supply from local authorities but maintain their own septic tanks are going to love this, household tax, water rates, septic tank charge... what will the government think of next, get rid of wages altogether and work for free :rolleyes:
    Last time I looked it cost the same amount to send a letter from the arse end of nowhere to the arse end of nowhere as it did to send one inside a large urban area with its own sorting office. Be careful with the urban/rural cost of service provision comparisons ;)

Advertisement