Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I got in the post today!

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's fine, I've been using it since it arrived, I've it set at 1.5 and that seems fine, at 2, it was a bit too aggressive, God knows what it would be like at 5.

For the price I think its worth a punt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

2WXjEMjr.jpg

This lot arrived yesterday. Merkur 34c, 100 lab blue blades and coconut oil soap from Trumpers. All from shaving.ie.

As I only want to change 1 thing at a time I went with the new razor this morning. Very impressed, very small but I like it a lot.

I'll probably try and sell on my other razors I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

adrian522 wrote: »
    It's fine, I've been using it since it arrived, I've it set at 1.5 and that seems fine, at 2, it was a bit too aggressive, God knows what it would be like at 5.

For the price I think its worth a punt.

Thanks for feedback, decided to give it a go. Came it at <€5 delivered after discount and cannot see how it's not worth that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

adrian522 wrote: »
    2WXjEMjr.jpg

This lot arrived yesterday. Merkur 34c, 100 lab blue blades and coconut oil soap from Trumpers. All from shaving.ie.

As I only want to change 1 thing at a time I went with the new razor this morning. Very impressed, very small but I like it a lot.

I'll probably try and sell on my other razors I think.

The Merkur 34c is a nice razor alright. I lent mime to my brother and he won't give it back.:D

The Merkur 34c is a nice razor alright. I lent mime to my brother and he won't give it back.:D

Yeah, I like that its really small, great for getting in the mustache area. Havent used anything else since it arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Futur clone arrived today. Very impressive looking, excellent weight and quality from initial look. Included 5 Personna Apache blades. May try shaving with it in morning if we have enough water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Missing my 60p cut throat shave. Had to use a machine today, ughh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Missus ordered me a few products from shaving.ie for an upcoming milestone
    Muhle 89c, the sample pack of 50 blades, Proraso tube of shaving cream (Sandalwood with Shea), Omega 48 Boar brush and Proraso Cypress & Vetyver After Shave Balm.

They sent me the Cypress & Vetyver Shaving Cream by accident aswell, never asked for it back which was a bonus

Tried the Proraso Sandalwood Cream once, nice shave with it, easily lathers....looking forward to the day now I can break out the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Not exactly received today but I recently received a tub of T&H Grafton shaving cream. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see why there's a premium for this product? I don't think it's much better than TOBS or DR Harris for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Price for soaps and anything perceived as luxury is subjective. What makes a t-shirt cost 5 quid in one shop and 50 quid in another? Same with shaving soap. Most of my artisan soaps cost on average 20 quid and leave the old school options in the dust. There's an immense range of great soap and scents out there today. 10 years ago the old players where a much bigger thing and it was conceivable to find the best by trying them yourself. Not so these days, you'd be broke and you're wife will certify you insane (unless you hide them like me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

451408.jpg

So, got an Edwin Jagger Kelvin Double Edged Safety Razor. Got the one with the short handle, as the handle would have the "grip" texture, as opposed to a handle of shiny chrome, which may not be the best when wet.

Bought it for shaving the head, and using Astra blades I got a while back. Happy with the result. Very happy that I didn't cut myself on the first time using one of these! The toonie is about the size of a €2 coin, there to see the size.

Question for the folks that use these; should the blade not come out far, like the below? Is this normal?

451409.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

The blade looks okay to me. As long as the blade is sticking out the same amount on both sides it'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Looks good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

First shave with my new purchases today!

My old muhle r89 was dropped on the ground and wasn't shaving properly on one side so it gave me a chance to do some shopping.

Ended up going for a Rockwell 6c adjustable razor. First impressions are v good, there are 3 double-sided adjustable plates so you get six settings in total. I tried the level three for the first pass using Personna blades & it was perfect. It was great to be able to switch to a lower setting for the second pass.

Also got some sandalwood shaving soap from Taylors along with some proraso pre shaving cream and aftershave. I'm used to using shaving cream but the soap lathered up like nobody's business so happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

the_syco wrote: »

Question for the folks that use these; should the blade not come out far, like the below? Is this normal?

451629.jpg

Looks the same as mine. It’s quite a mild shave and is a good starter razor because of that. I found it too mild and shimmed it by cutting the sharp bits off an old blade and putting the rest between the blade and handle. It creates a slightly larger gap and a more aggressive shave. I did end up buying other razors though and haven’t used my EJ in a while.

Got 35quid worth of soap samples today from ShaveDash.com

Brilliant selection came to Ireland in a little flat box with each sample well packed and professionally labeled. Must have taken a lot of work to do up the 17 samples I ordered. This smelly box is sitting on my desk and I swear one or some of them smell so delicious they're making me hungry.

Not something I got in the post but 2 things I found in the wild.

Firstly, a 6/8ths Thompson of Nassau Street. It's a near wedge and needs some loving. I'll probably do the work on this one myself.

w03mzb.jpg

Secondly, a 15/16ths V.O.O.G.D full hollow. Scales should be horn and they look to be on decent shape - just a polish should be enough really. The blade has some rust in the edge that I'm concerned about but for the price and the size it's worth a gamble. This one I'll probably send to someone to dress up

i26807.jpg

I had only planned to buy the larger razor but there was a sale on in the shop. 30% off everything today, or buy one get one free. €24 for the pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I spotted this recently and thought it was worth a punt. It’s a collaboration between QShave and Weishi, the 2 largest Chinese manufacturers. It’s called the Parthenon and you can see it’s Greek styling. The whole kit, including 50 Feathers, a stand and a leather traveling case was a touch over €50 delivered.

I have to say it’s impressive. I already have a Mingshi branded Futur clone (identical to the QShave one) which I like a lot. And I have a few of the super cheap Weishi DE razors for travelling. The finish on this is gorgeous. It’s silver plated and it adds to the quality feel. Balance is perfect - about an inch from the head. The butterfly mechanism is very good and the blade gap is uniform. My one criticism is that the adjustment dial on the top isn’t totally smooth. Hopefully a bit of oil and some use and it will be ok.

I’ve shaved with it twice. I’m still trying to dial it in and it doesn’t seem as smooth as my Futur clone, but it’s still a pleasure to use and it’s nice to look at.

453753.jpeg

453754.jpeg

That looks like a nice razor. It's cool to see someone still making twist to open razors.

From Elite Razor in the states. Got hammered with shipping and customs but I couldn't find anything like this in Europe. Taking into account all expenses was no worse than a Thater or 50 quid more than a Shavemac.

E9R7OeKl.jpg

26mm Manchurian white with black walnut burl sealed with a marine based deck sealant. Excellent craftsmanship. Super soft tips and piles of backbone. Got the stand and pen while I was at it. :p

• Advertisement

I assumed you had a look at pensoftheforest?

From memory they have similar stuff, but saying that I haven't looked in some time.

I did send a few emails to Rod but never got a response. Apparently a couple years ago he had some health problems and has since disappeared even though his website is still up. I also tried Steven Jagger but he had a hard time finding burled blanks. Lastly I tried Shavemac and Thater but again couldn't find this type of burled wood.

Looks aside I'm really impressed with the knot. It's really dense with a lot of backbone but super soft, no scritch. I'm loving the 26cm size given the amount of backbone means it's not a floppy mop. It really lathers up a storm.

Oh that's a shame about Rod - he did some lovely work.

I really like the pen in your set.

Advertisement