Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I got in the post today!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

best place to buy a not too expensive starter kit guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    best place to buy a not too expensive starter kit guys?

Shaving.ie!

His starter kit seems to have disappeared off the site, but these are the elements I'd recommend:

Edwin Jagger DE89L razor,
    Semogue 1305 boar brush
    Sample pack of blades
    Proraso aftershave balm
    And a tube of Proraso shaving cream or any of the creams and soaps that take your fancy.

Enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I've heard good stuff about C&E soaps. I really need to finish some stuff and buy some.

I've been using the Nomad exclusively for about 6 months (got the 2 for 1 offer in Kildare) and really like it, makes a quick lather and smells great.

Finally bought something else - MWF - so will be back to that for a while now.

For the thread that's in it I just got the MWF, 200 personna blades and 2 lotion samples - Proraso menthol and eucalyptus and GFT Bay rum.

I'll smell different anyway :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

dub_skav wrote: »
    I've been using the Nomad exclusively for about 6 months (got the 2 for 1 offer in Kildare) and really like it, makes a quick lather and smells great.

Finally bought something else - MWF - so will be back to that for a while now.

For the thread that's in it I just got the MWF, 200 personna blades and 2 lotion samples - Proraso menthol and eucalyptus and GFT Bay rum.

I'll smell different anyway :o

I wish I had found some Nomad the other day instead of the Penhaligons English Fern.

No body should ever buy English Fern shave soap. It smells lovely but performs shockingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭skankles

+1 Penhaligons. Its dirt cant get a lather. Very runny. Shame to throw it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

skankles wrote: »
    +1 Penhaligons. Its dirt cant get a lather. Very runny. Shame to throw it out.

Use it as hand soap.

It's not even that it's runny for me. The lather just disappears in about 30-40 seconds of being on my face. It reminds me a lot of when I tested out a soap for an Irish soap maker trying to get into shave soaps. I will re-purpose the Penhaligon's into a shower soap.

For the price of a puck of Penhaligon's you can get two pucks of D.R Harris or even a puck of D.R Harris in one of the nice bowls. Either option is much much better value. I got the English Fern for 40% it's normal price and feel I was overcharged by a massive amount. It's so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Rosahane wrote: »
    Shaving.ie!

His starter kit seems to have disappeared off the site, but these are the elements I'd recommend:

Edwin Jagger DE89L razor,
    Semogue 1305 boar brush
    Sample pack of blades
    Proraso aftershave balm
    And a tube of Proraso shaving cream or any of the creams and soaps that take your fancy.

Enjoy the experience.
    thanks mate, ordered the blade, brush and balm, got an arko shaving stick the other day along with a box of blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    thanks mate, ordered the blade, brush and balm, got an arko shaving stick the other day along with a box of blades.

That's great, take your time and enjoy the shave.

If you haven't already done so It's worth reading through some of the threads on this forum and also watching the YouTube videos by Mantic59.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I know it's not a straight but i thought i'd give the Shavette a go, It's a Dovo
    any advice before i try it out in the morning. I have the colored adapters but i think i'll use a long blade first and see how that goes.
    Have a few long blades for the shavette.

I got a few different blades for the DE to try as well, although i'm really happy with the Feathers just wanted to try some others out.
    Thanks to Shaving.ie for the speedy delivery.

IMG_20140814_080417393_zps1f8e1d69.jpg

Also had this soap bought for me by the wife, I've used it a few times and it's really nice.

7112sL5C4kL_SL1500__zpscda39d55.jpg

• Advertisement

If shavettes shave like a real straight razor, keep it quite flat to your face i.e. don't use the advised 30 degree angle like you would with a DE.

Also use a light touch. I've heard that they can be unforgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Also use a light touch. I've heard that they can be unforgiving.

More so than a real straight

More so than a real straight

Yep. From what I've read about shavettes, they don't give as much feedback as a straight razor so may be more prone to giving cuts. Use a light touch and you should be fine.

Let us know how you get on with it.

It hasn't arrived yet (in fact I only just bought it) but this. For 40 quid, I'm happy at the minute - hopefully I still will be when it gets here.

2layfzm.jpg2w66r09.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Nice razor, she should clean up easily

Now that it's arrived I can see it doesn't really need work done to it. It's the shame that the gold have nearly completely gone from the spine work.

SEBrC5m.jpg

I'm going to leave it as is for the time being but I might clean it up some more in the future.

Hurray for freebies!!

5/8 Wagner & Lange (was mine but I gave it to my uncle when he wanted to try out straight razors).
    9LaUMwF.jpg

5/8 Dovo
    NBzP152.jpg

11-12/16 Taylor Eye Witness
    qerzSfk.jpg55v8QZ1.jpg

25mm (50mm loft) 2 band silvertip and GFT Sandalwood soap.
    alTCwlH.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That should serve ya well to find out if straights are for you or not. Who is the maker of that razor?

This question was puzzling me for ages. I've finally discovered that the maker was Clauss of Fremont, Ohio in the USA.

I'm still using it anyway, 10 months on. Thinking of investing in something with a bit more weight to it next year when funds allow.

An File wrote: »
    This question was puzzling me for ages. I've finally discovered that the maker was Clauss of Fremont, Ohio in the USA.

I'm still using it anyway, 10 months on. Thinking of investing in something with a bit more weight to it next year when funds allow.

Good to hear you're still using the straight razor. How are the shaves with it now?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Good to hear you're still using the straight razor. How are the shaves with it now?

I had a beard for most of 2014 so I only started using the straight again in December. It's taking me a while to get the hang of it again. First pass tends to be fine, but second/third are causing scrapes and nicks.

I prefer to do the second and subsequent passes with one of my DEs instead. Fantastically tight, but no blood! :D

I've just got a decent strop and a new shaving mug, so I may end up getting a lot of practice in the near future so I can keep trying out my Christmas presents.

• Advertisement

Still in the post at the moment but I should have it soon enough. I've been trying to suppress the itch of buying any more razors but I came across this nice P-Ford razor and couldn't resist the urge. Ended up getting it for €27 and then €9 for the postage, which ain't bad, if I do say so myself. Can't wait to give it a little clean up and polish. Hopefully it should arrive next week sometime :cool:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Should look good once it's been cleaned up. Is that a trick of the light or is it a little nick at the heel?

Which do you think about the scales, real tortoise shell or no?

Should look good once it's been cleaned up. Is that a trick of the light or is it a little nick at the heel?

I think it's just a trick of the light but I won't know for definate till I have the razor in my hand.

$_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    Which do you think about the scales, real tortoise shell or no?

I'm guessing they are probably stained horn, although sometimes it can be hard to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

A lovely gift.

Not familiar with the brand. (http://www.verguldehand.nl/)

Look forward to using it.

De_Vergulde_Hand.jpg

Little fellah.

IMG_20150528_144307.jpg

I was looking for a thick razor handle, stumbled across..

http://www.maggardrazors.com/

Based out in Adrian, Michigan, USA. I picked up a Maggard Razors MR3 for $24.95. Razor head and handle tip in at 135g on the scales.

Maggardboards003.jpg

Maggardboards002.jpg

Maggardboards001.jpg

Alongside a 'normal' MÜHLE R106 handle.

The head is chromed, the quality is okay, leaning towards Merkur/Parker. The handle is lovely, proper steel knurl and heft.. somewhat at odds with the finish of the head, which is a pity.

Delighted with my purchase. The price is spot on, I think. Postage and packing add a sting though, but that's to be expected, given the weight.

Look forward to using it.

Placed an order with shaving.ie last night and it arrived already.

2554zuf.jpg

Picked up the handle to put my Stahly Live Blade head on to and I'm hoping the pomade will keep my facial hair in check.

Picked up a razor on Adverts.ie. I knew when buying it that is was going to need work done to it.

21nqzdc.jpg11j5f9v.jpg2q3skdj.jpg15nanly.jpg2ahy847.jpg

First razor I've decided to unpin to clean up so I've already ordered some pins. I'm going to put it in a case tumbler for the day (I'll check on it every hour or so) to try save the etching and remove the worst of the rust.

The edge has some rust on it so I think I'll end up bread knifing the edge to get to good steel when I get around to honing it.

The scales are actually in pretty good condition so I'll just give them a bit of a polish I think.

After some time in the tumbler it looks like this

fp9xnc.jpg

Most of the active red rust was removed but I had to remove some by hand. There is a tiny bit of red rust in the jimps but that should be easy to remove tomorrow. I'm unsure what to do about the dark spot at the shoulder. It's not active rust but it's a bit of an eyesore and it's going to be a chore to remove it by hand.

I sanded the scales from 4000 grit up to 12000 grit so they look decent. They still have some deep scratches that I don't particularly want to remove at this moment. I might get to that before I pin the razor back together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

This just arrive for me from Whipped Dog.

Restored swedish straight - shave ready. $80 including leather and balsa strops and delivery.

t2BfF5D.jpg

Advertisement