Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jurassic World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Really don't understand why this is such a sticking point, people have tamed predatory animals before. Go on youtube and you'll find videos of people rolling around on the ground with a pride of lions like they were pets. We have no idea how susceptible a dinosaur would be to be being tamed but it's definitely not outside the realms of possibility and it's certainly not the most unbelievable aspect of a film where velociraptors are taller than a man and we manage to ressurect them.....

I vote this the best sentence ever typed on boards.ie

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    I vote this the best sentence ever typed on boards.ie

And of course I have a typo right in the middle of it too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Really don't understand why this is such a sticking point, people have tamed predatory animals before. Go on youtube and you'll find videos of people rolling around on the ground with a pride of lions like they were pets. We have no idea how susceptible a dinosaur would be to be being tamed but it's definitely not outside the realms of possibility and it's certainly not the most unbelievable aspect of a film where velociraptors are taller than a man and we manage to ressurect them.....

But there not really tamed there just animal behaviourists who know how to act around them any of them will openly admit at any stage the lions could turn on them and tear them to shreds, nor will you ever see them being so tamed us humans can send them out to attack oh say a wild rhino on a rampage to help protects us like is being implied will happen in the new Jurassic Park ;).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

But there not really tamed there just animal behaviourists who know how to act around them any of them will openly admit at any stage the lions could turn on them and tear them to shreds, nor will you ever see them being so tamed us humans can send them out to attack oh say a wild rhino on a rampage to help protects us like is being implied will happen in the new Jurassic Park ;).

Yeah you're right of course but i don't think it's as big a leap as people are making it out to be. I think it's just a case of them being seen as movie monsters that just want to eat people rather than actual animals that make it harder for folks to accept.

If the 'raptors are as intelligent as they're made put to be in the other films I don't see why they couldn't be trained to some extent, provided they're kept muzzled when the handlers are around of course :pac:

At the end of the day though, this will probaly just be another big dumb summer blockbuster not hard sci-fi so it's always going to fall apart if people start applying too much real world logic to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If they add some Cadillacs it could work.

Don't forget adding Hannah Dundee :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yeah you're right of course but i don't think it's as big a leap as people are making it out to be. I think it's just a case of them being seen as movie monsters that just want to eat people rather than actual animals that make it harder for folks to accept.

If the 'raptors are as intelligent as they're made put to be in the other films I don't see why they couldn't be trained to some extent, provided they're kept muzzled when the handlers are around of course :pac:

At the end of the day though, this will probaly just be another big dumb summer blockbuster not hard sci-fi so it's always going to fall apart if people start applying too much real world logic to it.
    muzzled? I'd imagine fetters would be more useful tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I don't have a problem with someone saying dinosaurs could be tamed.

I have a problem with the majority of dinosaurs in a Jurassic Park movie being tame. Where's the fun in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

39080189.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well this production has a new name, "Jurassic World", as well as a release date - June 12 2015. The linked article comes with a new logo, but I'm not sure if it's official or not:

http://www.thewrap.com/steven-spielbergs-jurassic-world-to-hit-theaters-in-june-2015/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well this production has a new name, "Jurassic World", as well as a release date - June 12 2015. The linked article comes with a new logo, but I'm not sure if it's official or not:

http://www.thewrap.com/steven-spielbergs-jurassic-world-to-hit-theaters-in-june-2015/

I was hoping for Jurassic Fork:pac:

Hmmm...looks fake. Surely they'd superimpose Mr T-Rex on a globe?

What I want to know is, will there be feathers on the dinosaurs?

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    39080189.jpg

I give you Pocho and Chito.

Pocho remained aggressive towards people generally, but would swim with Chito and allow him to pet him. Chito found Pocho when he was injured and nursed him back to health. Croc and man have had over 20 years as companions (and Chito eventually made money out of swimming with Pocho in front of tourists) before Pocho died last year.

http://www.globalwhisperer.com/2010/09/costa-rican-man-friends-crocodile/

crocodile-pet_8.jpg

man+crocodile+3.jpg

A-Man-Friendly-With-Massive-Crocodile-Amazing-Story.-4.jpg

Now I just need to find me a T Rex with a splinter in his foot. Take out the splinter, and get the Rex to follow me to Jack Horner's gaff.:D

Kess73 wrote: »
    I give you Pocho and Chito.

Pocho remained aggressive towards people generally, but would swim with Chito and allow him to pet him. Chito found Pocho when he was injured and nursed him back to health. Croc and man have had over 20 years as companions.

http://www.globalwhisperer.com/2010/09/costa-rican-man-friends-crocodile/

crocodile-pet_8.jpg

man+crocodile+3.jpg

A-Man-Friendly-With-Massive-Crocodile-Amazing-Story.-4.jpg

Now I just need to find me a T Rex with a splinter in his foot. Take out the splinter, and get the Rex to follow me to Jack Horner's gaff.:D

That's not a dinosaur; this is a dinosaur:D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2416554/Another-gator-record-broken-Mississippi--time-741-pounds-states-heaviest-longest.html?ico=home%5Emostread

rockbeast wrote: »

That gator is smaller than Pocho was. Pocho weighed over 1000 lbs when he died and was over 15 feet in length

Both would pale in size next to some of the Salties in Oz though.

Kess73 wrote: »
    That gator is smaller than Pocho was. Pocho weighed over 1000 lbs when he died and was over 15 feet in length

Both would pale in size next to some of the Salties in Oz though.

Ya, Pocho-Smocho!:D

Apparently red-necks in any land can outwit lizards anyway!

Now duck-billed platypus's - there's a real enemy of mankind:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I feel that they've made a mistake jumping all the way to Jurassic World with this film, they probably should have gone with Jurassic County first, moved on to Jurassic Country and then maybe Jurassic World. Now they're going to have to go with Jurassic Galaxy for the next film which is just crazy, dinosaurs in space crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,142 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I feel that they've made a mistake jumping all the way to Jurassic World with this film, they probably should have gone with Jurassic County first, moved on to Jurassic Country and then maybe Jurassic World. Now they're going to have to go with Jurassic Galaxy for the next film which is just crazy, dinosaurs in space crazy.

You're no Dino nut!

Dinosaurs in space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Funnily enough in 3001, the final sequel to 2001 a space odyssey, set a millennium in the future. Dinosaurs had been cloned and engineered Velociraptors had been taught to do menial tasks like gardening. From what I remember, it had been found velociraptors were highly intelligent and highly organised creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Tangent:

I remember seeing the original Jurrasic Park in the cinema when it was first released way back when.

I distinctly remember a scene with Dr. Sattler (Dern) in the bunker and Arnolds (Jackson) hand is placed on her shoulder, when she turns around it turns out to be the severed limb.

I recently watched the movie on Telly and this scene was cut. Was this just done for TV or was it cut after the release? Was there anything else cut?

prospect wrote: »
    Tangent:

I remember seeing the original Jurrasic Park in the cinema when it was first released way back when.

I distinctly remember a scene with Dr. Sattler (Dern) in the bunker and Arnolds (Jackson) hand is placed on her shoulder, when she turns around it turns out to be the severed limb.

I recently watched the movie on Telly and this scene was cut. Was this just done for TV or was it cut after the release? Was there anything else cut?

What channel? I know ITV cut but that would be ridonkulous!

It did happen as you said. BR, DVD, RTE, SKY movies it's always there and one of the best bits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

it was also in the recent imax re-release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Tangent:

ITV cut The Lost World to ribbons when it was on recently, that great shot of the merc turning around screaming into the camera as the raptor leaps out of the grass onto him was cut :confused: wasn't even anything particularly violent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

These cuts happen all the time. On seeing Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom some years after the cinema release I was annoyed that the scene where the villain pulls out some poor guy's beating heart was missing. I don't think that scene ever makes it onto telly.

Whilst on a tangent, when ITV showed The Long Good Friday circa '86/'87 - it was cut to ribbons. Director John McKenzie was incensed and when I saw the uncut version a year or two later, I understood why.

old hippy wrote: »
    These cuts happen all the time. On seeing Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom some years after the cinema release I was annoyed that the scene where the villain pulls out some poor guy's beating heart was missing. I don't think that scene ever makes it onto telly.

Whilst on a tangent, when ITV showed The Long Good Friday circa '86/'87 - it was cut to ribbons. Director John McKenzie was incensed and when I saw the uncut version a year or two later, I understood why.

No way! You just reminded me that circa 89/90 RTE broadcast a >1hr version of Raiders OTLA! Think Belloq was cut out of it...

Remember someone I used to know writing a letter to RTE (before email) and got a response saying there were time constraints:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

rockbeast wrote: »
    No way! You just reminded me that circa 89/90 RTE broadcast a >1hr version of Raiders OTLA! Think Belloq was cut out of it...

Remember someone I used to know writing a letter to RTE (before email) and got a response saying there were time constraints:rolleyes:

A 1 hr tx version? Are you sure it wasn't broken up with the Nuacht in the middle, like ITV did/do?

RTE were notorious in the day for programmes running late, I do remember that. Set the VHS for something and have the last 7 mins lost forever... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Really don't understand why this is such a sticking point, people have tamed predatory animals before.
    Pretty much any animal that lives in a group can be tamed-ish because all you have to do is make them think of you as the alpha leader. It also makes you the target for the other males though and if they're not kept extremely happy they can turn on you for apparently no reason.

They're all susceptible to training too, especially if you're taking advantage of their natural instincts. Even so success is unlikely, the cat and dog more than likely choose to domesticate themselves, we didn't tame them as originally thought. It then took probably thousands of years for dogs to end up like the dogs we have today.

old hippy wrote: »
    A 1 hr tx version? Are you sure it wasn't broken up with the Nuacht in the middle, like ITV did/do?

RTE were notorious in the day for programmes running late, I do remember that. Set the VHS for something and have the last 7 mins lost forever... :mad:

<1 hr, for real. Edited to feck. Must try and do that myself on FC Pro someday soon.

The bit I remember is that they cut from running in front of the boulder straight to running over the hill with natives chasing Indy:eek:

It actually was a good cut but NOT ROTLA the way we like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Tangent:

Do you remember Sattler breaking off a leaf and examining it when they first get to the park? It was in the theater version but cut from all subsequent releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wonder will the dinosaurs look as realistic in the new version. I don't think a lot of CGI looks realistic these days, it's too glossy, cartoonish and hyper to pass for realistic. I could see an over dependence on CGI meaning these dinosaurs won't look quite as real as the ones from the original jurassic park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wonder will the dinosaurs look as realistic in the new version. I don't think a lot of CGI looks realistic these days, it's too glossy, cartoonish and hyper to pass for realistic. I could see an over dependence on CGI meaning these dinosaurs won't look quite as real as the ones from the original jurassic park.
    I don't know. I heard somewhere that they're going for the same CGI/animatronics hybrid that the previous movies had, but I might be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

ScumLord wrote: »

So CGI has regressed in your opinion or the newish movies that use it are crap :pac:

I think people looking for the CGI in movies doesnt help.

Jurassic Park nailed it 20 years ago, noone cared what was CGI and what wasnt. It was dinosaurs!!

Advertisement