Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Just one of those days that Kildare have all too frequently when a team gets a run on us and we give up too easily. I hope that it won't happen again on Sunday and I don't think it will. I expect a defeat but I think we will come out of it with our pride intact.
    *Takes deep breath*
    I don't give a flying fook about pride at this stage, I just want to win a feckin' Leinster title... its been too damn long since the last one. I'd settle for one in the Meath v Louth guise at this stage I'm so bloody desperate!!
    *And mini-rant over*

39242885.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

13 years is too long but we have to be realistic, we're 4/1 outsiders in a two horse race.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

I know, I'm heading up on Sunday knowing full well we will probably lose, lets hope its a decent match though. Also fair excited as its the first time I've been in the country for a match in yonks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Dermot would know considering he was due to start that day before he did his back in the warm-up.

Just one of those days that Kildare have all too frequently when a team gets a run on us and we give up too easily. I hope that it won't happen again on Sunday and I don't think it will. I expect a defeat but I think we will come out of it with our pride intact.

Was listening to Eugene McGee on the radio this morning talking about Brian Lacey saying that Kildare fans were not critical enough about their team and players. Interesting points were being made on it and its certainly a unique problem - most counties have the opposite problem. It shows the great loyalty to their team that Kildare fans have but maybe Lacey has a point.

While nobody is giving Kildare a prayer today I think it will be closer than people expect - there is no pressure on Kildare today and that can only work in their favour. If Kildare lose today apart from Tyrone there will be little to fear in the qualifiers so Kildare will be in the quarters one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Was listening to Eugene McGee on the radio this morning talking about Brian Lacey saying that Kildare fans were not critical enough about their team and players. Interesting points were being made on it and its certainly a unique problem - most counties have the opposite problem. It shows the great loyalty to their team that Kildare fans have but maybe Lacey has a point.

While nobody is giving Kildare a prayer today I think it will be closer than people expect - there is no pressure on Kildare today and that can only work in their favour. If Kildare lose today apart from Tyrone there will be little to fear in the qualifiers so Kildare will be in the quarters one way or another.

not if they get tyrone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

dunnerc wrote: »
    not if they get tyrone.
    Read the post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Felexicon wrote: »
    Read the post again.

thanks for the advice:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Tom Joad wrote: »
    If Kildare lose today apart from Tyrone there will be little to fear in the qualifiers so Kildare will be in the quarters one way or another.

Well after that defensive performance I wouldn't be so confident. A lot more to worry about than just Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Neeson wrote: »
    Well after that defensive performance I wouldn't be so confident. A lot more to worry about than just Tyrone.

Wouldn't be surprised if Down and Derry beat Kildare if they were to meet before Round 4.

And Kildare could end up playing Cork/Kerry in R4, not sure they'd win that.

They wouldn't and its as simple as that so it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

What's the deal with the Kildare keeper? Wondering what he'd do next was the most entertaining part of that annihilation.

Probably his red bib!

I expect a defeat but I think we will come out of it with our pride intact.

Disgraceful performance.I think Kildare should also stop talking about pride when it comes to playing teams in the top 6, especially ones that are more likely to win the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

McGeeney has taken this team as far as he can. No recrimination necessary, he's just reached the end of the road with Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I've been supporting Dublin since 1997, and never have I seen such a poor performance from a Kildare team. That includes them losing to Wicklow. McGeeney should go now, he's done whatever he can do.

I don't get the hype with McGeaney anyway. Just because he won an all Ireland should he be one if the great managers or make a team a great team?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Neeson wrote: »
    I don't get the hype with McGeaney anyway. Just because he won an all Ireland should he be one if the great managers or make a team a great team?

Agree 100%, always seems to flatter to decieve.
    oddly was impressed first half up till about 30 minutes, but then the coming out late second half (what was all that about) and then just utter capitulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Was a disgraceful performance from Kildare. No tactics bar lumping a long ball. More interest in constant fouling and late hits, the foul count must have been a joke.

Meath and Wexford have made more Leinster Finals than this Kildare squad under McGeeney, surely his time is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Louth Next Round. I assume it will be newbridge? We'd better shape up.

Hopefully we ll get a bit of a run going this year again.

kencoo wrote: »
    Hopefully we ll get a bit of a run going this year again.

This is where the problem is with Kildare at the moment. you don't go on runs. This year you have beaten a very poor Offaly team and been walloped by Dublin. A nice draw could see you into a 1/4 final and it is just covering over the cracks.

While you got a few wins last year it was against poor opposition in Offaly and Sligo.

The whole set up to me seems wrong, tactics wise McGeeney has been way off and you don't seem to have anything coming through that will make a difference. Players like Bolton have gone down hill rapidly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I wouldn't fully blame McGeeney but his time is up with this side IMO

I wouldn't fully blame McGeeney but his time is up with this side IMO

Agreed, the players don't seem to be there. Seeing the likes of Doyle struggle so much is sad for a great player

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Traditionally we go on runs through the qualifiers and have made the quarters/semis in the last 4/5 years.
    Team had declined somewhat since 2010 and continue to do so.

The young players will take a while to bed in. Cribbin played well yesterday, probably one of out best on the field.

Where to now im not sure.

The first half was encouraging. The second half collapse was depressing.

There is talent in this county but I think there needs to be a serious debate on whether McGeeney is the right man to bring these young players through over the next few years. He has done good work for Kildare but the time might be right for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

The first half was encouraging. The second half collapse was depressing.

There is talent in this county but I think there needs to be a serious debate on whether McGeeney is the right man to bring these young players through over the next few years. He has done good work for Kildare but the time might be right for a change.

Howya Klairon ..... it's very hard for ya to pick the crumbs from yesterday in fairness .. I'd even disagree to a certain extent on the 1st half being encouraging insofar as the warning signs were there with BB's fumble and I think MDM goal chances ..prior to ya getting the 1-2 start. I said previously that McGeeney had enough evidence available to employ different tactics than trying to meet Dublin head on - and surely the input of Jason Ryan was paramount in subscribing to an alternative.

When Dublin got up a head of steam 2nd half I wonder if Kildare's performance was mitigated somewhat by lads maybe subconsiously "minding themselves" ahead of the qualifiers ?

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Howya Klairon ..... it's very hard for ya to pick the crumbs from yesterday in fairness .. I'd even disagree to a certain extent on the 1st half being encouraging insofar as the warning signs were there with BB's fumble and I think MDM goal chances ..prior to ya getting the 1-2 start. I said previously that McGeeney had enough evidence available to employ different tactics than trying to meet Dublin head on - and surely the input of Jason Ryan was paramount in subscribing to an alternative.

When Dublin got up a head of steam 2nd half I wonder if Kildare's performance was mitigated somewhat by lads maybe subconsiously "minding themselves" ahead of the qualifiers ?

I think most supporters didn't expect Kildare to win yesterday but we did expect the players to have a right cut at Dublin. We got that in the first half and it was encouraging.

The heads dropped in the second half and we threw in the towel too easily. There's no shame in losing to a better team but I'm disappointed that we didn't keep plugging away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I think most supporters didn't expect Kildare to win yesterday but we did expect the players to have a right cut at Dublin. We got that in the first half and it was encouraging.

The heads dropped in the second half and we threw in the towel too easily. There's no shame in losing to a better team but I'm disappointed that we didn't keep plugging away.

Yeah my Lilly BIL who has represented Kildare had much the same sentiment

Disagree with that. They got a great start which was aided by a slip from Cooper but they certainly didn't have a 'right cut' off them. Unless you mean constant late hits and 3rd man tackles.

The one tactic was to lump ball onto O'carroll and hope he messes up which didn't work out.

AGC wrote: »
    Disagree with that. They got a great start which was aided by a slip from Cooper but they certainly didn't have a 'right cut' off them. Unless you mean constant late hits and 3rd man tackles.

The one tactic was to lump ball onto O'carroll and hope he messes up which didn't work out.

Look we were only two points down until Brogan's goal. The tactics are another thing but I could not fault the effort of the Kildare team in the first half. The effort they expended during that first half probably contributed to the poor second half performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Look we were only two points down until Brogan's goal. The tactics are another thing but I could not fault the effort of the Kildare team in the first half. The effort they expended during that first half probably contributed to the poor second half performance.

Have to cut in here. I was hoping to stay off this thread because I normally get one argument thrown at me about bias but I think you're way off here.

The Dublin team were awesome yesterday. In the first half the only thing which meant they didn't score more was their own messing around e.g. Brogan calling for the ball to be passed to him when he was standing next to the Kildare goalie and the player carrying the ball was actually in a better position to shoot.

The Kildare team were certainly better in the first half than the second but I wouldn't say that was down to their own tactics. Dublin upped the ante a gear in the second half. I'm sure they probably got an earful at half time for not being further ahead like they should have been. Their own messing meant they hadn't scored more. Kildare also got lucky with the shot that hit the post.

The signs were most certainly there that Dublin were going to run rampant in the second half.

Advertisement